My low budget Star Wars bashes - Page 2

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My low budget Star Wars bashes

The Democratic Peoples Republic of England

Re: My low budget Star Wars bashes

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    Could be, we'll see....

CHEERS!
    If you can find the Sideshow boots/shin armours cheap enough then might be easier than tracking down the Hasbro ones since I can't seem to find the Hasbro ones parted out currently (used to be really easy to find hasbro parts, now mostly just whole figures for some reason). But like I said I do have a pair of old Kenner ones that may work with gloss coat

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Funnily enough, I did actually look at some SSC shin armour and the price wasn't bad. They have some other bits as well. I have other stuff to pursue, but will definitely take another look when I'm ready to.

CHEERS!

Sideshow Vader parts are often very good -- I preferred some of them to the Hot Toys version when I was making a hybrid Vader. And the boots and shinguards were among the Sideshow pieces I did use. I know that Sideshow produced at least two different Vader figures over the years, so I am not sure whether the boots and shinguards were identical in both versions. But if you can find and afford them, they ought to be very useful for a Vader kitbash.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nice work,

The SSC bits I looked at were from the ROTJ one. I'll have to look around when I'm ready and see what's about.

CHEERS!

Jazz
    I'm ashamed of myself for not keeping up with this thread. PM me later f anything here is useable for you.

My low budget Star Wars bashes-img_4556-jpg

Great work! And just my cup of tea!
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    Great work! And just my cup of tea!
    Thanks! I know your work inspires me often

@Pontiacivan : Those weapons might be of use

I'm considering dropping the idea of a 1/6 Vader now. I bought the new Black Series 1/12 one today, I modded him with the cape from a Mafex figure I had and I think he's all the Vader I'll need, plus he has a Figuarts Luke to duel with.

CHEERS!

I'm considering dropping the idea of a 1/6 Vader now. I bought the new Black Series 1/12 one today, I modded him with the cape from a Mafex figure I had and I think he's all the Vader I'll need, plus he has a Figuarts Luke to duel with.

CHEERS!
    I also have the black series 40th anniversary 6" Vader, and it is a great figure and a completely new model from what I understand.

That's basically what mine is, except they have put him in the regular Black Series packaging, so you pay £25 instead of nearly £50 and you're not stuck with a diorama.

CHEERS!

That's basically what mine is, except they have put him in the regular Black Series packaging, so you pay £25 instead of nearly £50 and you're not stuck with a diorama.

CHEERS!
    didn't pay any where near £50 for mine, and I have the full set of 12 40th Anniversary figures so the display is useful too.

Oh, cool, looks like we both got what we wanted then.

CHEERS!

Oh, cool, looks like we both got what we wanted then.

CHEERS!
    It certainly does

Wait I've been here already... you tricked me!
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

I really enjoy looking over this thread, for all of the details and variety in the characters. The cheeky poses are good for grins as well.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

I do have some Star Wars projects to add to this thread soon. Oh, and BTW, the new electronic Death Trooper has a properly scaled helmet! I have put together a little comparison of the various low budget Death Trooper options below.
    Left to right: Hasbro Black Series Titanium Diecast helmet, Hasbro electronic figure, Hasbro Titan heroes, Disney Store Elite Premium.
    IMG_2133 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

IMG_2134 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

The Titanium diecast one is, as we already know, about 1:5 scale, while the Titan heroes and Disney Elite premium ones are 1:7. The new electronic Death Trooper figure is bang in the middle at 1:6, making it the first low budget Death Trooper helmet.

TBS diecast:
    IMG_2136 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Elite Premium:
    IMG_2139 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Titan Heroes:
    IMG_2138 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Electronic:
    IMG_2137 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Additionally, a comparison of low budget troopers:
    IMG_2140 by kraggy2011, on Flickr
    Titan Heroes, electronic, Premium Elite (customised to be taller)

Here is also a potential source of bigger torso armour if planing to turn the Disney Elite Premium figure into a a larger figure: The Shore Trooper.
    IMG_2142 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

The Shore Trooper Titan Hero figure has a larger chest and back plate, and this chest armour is the same type that death troopers wear.

Here is the electronic Death Trooper helmet on my customised Disney Elite Premium figure:
    IMG_2141 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Then just for fun: electronic figure with Titanium diecast helmet and then with Medicom Shadow Trooper helmet.
    IMG_2146 by kraggy2011, on Flickr
    IMG_2149 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

If you intend to build low budget Death Troopers, I suggest you bulk buy the Elite Premium Death trooper, electronic Death trooper and Titan Hero Shore trooper figures whenever you see them cheap/on clearance then mix/match the parts when building your troopers.
    The leftover parts can of course still be used for other projects afterward (you could attach the Premium Elite head to the electronic figure body with a small amount of modding and end up with a decent background figure or something for the kids to play with if need be).

Adding more comparison pics in daylight since my second Disney Elite Death Trooper arrived today so I can now properly compare them for reference purposes:
    IMG_2155 by kraggy2011, on Flickr
    IMG_2156 by kraggy2011, on Flickr
    IMG_2157 by kraggy2011, on Flickr
    IMG_2158 by kraggy2011, on Flickr
    IMG_2159 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

This is how the figures look straight out of the box. Plenty to work with from the Disney Store figure and the electronic figure is the only source outside of HT for the helmet in 1:6.

More comparison pics of the helmets in daylight:
    IMG_2160 by kraggy2011, on Flickr
    IMG_2161 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Well that would have saved me some work lol! Although micromanaging the helmet sculpts gave me the exact proportions I wanted. How will you address the height issues? That was the second most challenging part of my custom builds, stretching and creating armour to fit 13" figures that are very thin. Not sure what donor bodies are out there either now, can't remember what I used but it's on my build thread if you go through my profile links etc.. good luck with this you're nearly there!

Well that would have saved me some work lol! Although micromanaging the helmet sculpts gave me the exact proportions I wanted. How will you address the height issues? That was the second most challenging part of my custom builds, stretching and creating armour to fit 13" figures that are very thin. Not sure what donor bodies are out there either now, can't remember what I used but it's on my build thread if you go through my profile links etc.. good luck with this you're nearly there!
    Well, my first death trooper mod (That I was waiting for a 1:6 helmet for) was tall enough but I have dismantled it to start again as I want to add better bulk and some other changes. Here it is next to the 12 inch ones (modded on the right): IMG_2140 by kraggy2011, on Flickr

Glad the electronic Death Trooper helmet is the right scale for your project! I keep seeing them all over the place, but I realize they might be harder to find or simply more expensive overseas.

Man, looks like a whole lot of fun there! It kills me sometimes what passes for "scale" in the manufacturing world. You're right about the electronic Death Trooper head, size is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontiacivan View Post
    Man, looks like a whole lot of fun there! It kills me sometimes what passes for "scale" in the manufacturing world. You're right about the electronic Death Trooper head, size is perfect.
    Yep, it is sometimes really difficult to find certain parts in 1:6 scale, but fortunately I see a near future where 3D printing will make that a thing of the past... A future where figures are downloaded and then printed at whatever scale you select.... but for now we have to search high and low for low budget toys to convert because the only other truly 1:6 stuff is way overpriced....

Quote Originally Posted by GubernatorFan View Post
    Glad the electronic Death Trooper helmet is the right scale for your project! I keep seeing them all over the place, but I realize they might be harder to find or simply more expensive overseas.

I was pleasantly surprised the other day to see them turn up in my local Toys' r ' Us, but at about £40 each they are simply too expensive to buy for the helmets. I doubt that when they do reach clearance they will go below £15 and it will likely take at least a year for the first reductions (if ever), but for those of you in the USA you will probably be able to pick them up for $10 in just a couple of months.... so stock up when they do!

Quote Originally Posted by jaztermareal View Post
    Yep, it is sometimes really difficult to find certain parts in 1:6 scale, but fortunately I see a near future where 3D printing will make that a thing of the past... A future where figures are downloaded and then printed at whatever scale you select.... but for now we have to search high and low for low budget toys to convert because the only other truly 1:6 stuff is way overpriced....

I was pleasantly surprised the other day to see them turn up in my local Toys' r ' Us, but at about £40 each they are simply too expensive to buy for the helmets. I doubt that when they do reach clearance they will go below £15 and it will likely take at least a year for the first reductions (if ever), but for those of you in the USA you will probably be able to pick them up for $10 in just a couple of months.... so stock up when they do!
    Ain't that the truth, we get everything late here if at all and hardly anything we actually want at a discount price for ages if at all.
    Your modded trooper on the right looks great! Oh, done those Luke boots..

Ain't that the truth, we get everything late here if at all and hardly anything we actually want at a discount price for ages if at all.
    Yeah, I get a little jealous sometimes about the great deals and product variety folk in the USA get, like the Diecast helmet packs which are pretty hard to get here (Toys r Us never got them for example) and expensive when stores do get them, hence why I am still missing several packs. I was lucky enough to get a few from Forbidden Planet when they got them but they didn't seem to bother with later waves.

Your modded trooper on the right looks great! Oh, done those Luke boots..
    Thanks! oooooo, I better check out your thread.

Some early in progress pics of the projects I am working on:

AT-AT commander:
    IMG_2165 by kraggy2011, on Flickr
    Disney Store Krennic is the base (body, boots, hands, belt and head, though head will likely change) with HMAF enemy fighter outfit and the chest plate from the Kenner/Hasbro snowtrooper (helmet will be used too). Obviously not accurate but will be close enough when done (I wanted to go with an ATST driver style uniform as opposed to General Veers' officer uniform)

Tie Pilot:
    IMG_2166 by kraggy2011, on Flickr
    Again I am not aiming for accuracy here, doing more of a comic style elite pilot. Again I am using a Disney Store Krennic body, belt, head and boots, along with Kenner/Hasbro Tie Pilot uniform and chestplate, Kenner/Hasbro AT-AT driver harness thing, Bandai Helmet/chest box and gloved hands from parts bin. Still got to mod the helmet to either fit on the head or to fit on a neck post (whichever is easier), gloves need paint of course, the outfit needs to be tailored a little and a few other things here and there.

Hoth Biker Scout:
    IMG_2167 by kraggy2011, on Flickr
    This is mostly the Kenner/Hasbro POTF era scout trooper armour, Kenner/Hasbro POTF era AT-AT driver suit and shoulder pads plus a Bandai scout trooper helmet and gloves from parts bin.
    I think that I will go more accurate with this one and ditch the boots, knee pads and elbow/forearm bits and instead use Snowtrooper knee pads, forearm armour and hand plates along with suitable gloved hands and boots. After that it should be like the Hasbro 3 3/4 inch Hoth biker scout. Oh, and I need to add an under vest and mod everything to fit nice.

Elite Praetorian Guard:
    IMG_2168 by kraggy2011, on Flickr
    For this one I am using the Hasbro Electronic Elite Praetorian Guard figure.... Which means I am in the process of Shovelchop-ing the crap out of it to turn it into wearable armour.... Not how I normally do things because I am lazy but after seeing the work of folk like Shovelchop81 I thought I would try my hand at it.... so far so good. I did intend to just put it all on the leftover Disney Store Kylo Ren body but his chest was a little bulky surprisingly so I am looking at slimmer body options. Kylo's trousers however will still be used (waste not want not).

Do you have a link or name for the knockoff nba body you used? I'm having trouble finding a taller body that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Pal, you are an angel. The best comparison ever on death trooper options. Thanks, and be blessed.