(Science) Fiction, Fantasy, & Adventure Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Exocutioner Wraith Helm Finished & Attached. - Page 22

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Exocutioner Wraith Helm Finished & Attached.

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Rohirrim Wraith The Chosen Fur..It's Ali

LOL, well they are sort of dead, undead? Getting the team together I think you meant "done & dusted"?
    Last edited by shovelchop81; 09-14-2017 at 23:16.
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP Rohirrim Wraith The Chosen Fur..It's Ali

LOL, yeah, probably!

CHEERS!

Waiting on bolts for the Vulture build so felt like going back to my The Hobbit wraiths and starting no.5 The Witch King, got most of him laid out with parts already but need to build his iconic "feathered" helmet and torso armour. I'm using felt paper and edging scissors with regular scissors to get the random metal shapes of the quills then layering it altogether a bit like a Native American chief's headdress. I'll be texturing it with sand and glue/clear to plasticise it before paint and build the torso armour etc.. in a similar fashion. Still need to build the back of the helmet and tweak bits around, just letting the glue dry.

pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP TH WitchKing Wraith Started

Woah! Nice! Glad you're keeping busy. There's nothing worse than being stuck waiting and not being able to get on with anything.

Have fun

CHEERS!

Thanks Roger! Been a while since I'd looked at decent reference pics for this guy, when I did I realised his quills are more symmetrical than I had remembered so I've redone a lot of the helmet by adding more layers and changing the location of the traversed crest (like a Roman Centurion) to bring it further forward etc.. and relocating the face plate on the support helm beneath so it doesn't look like a spring onion or leek! I think the helmet is based on a Gondorian Royal Guard's helmet which might indicate something about the Witchking's past. Where the hell are all the message tools for quotes, inserts, emocons, vids, pics etc..?

I keep thinking of a parakeet with it all being white atm! "Vere's my burrd!!" (Whiplash) lol.

Looking good!

I've got all the buttons, did you switch to a WYSIWYG text editor or follow the other tips to correct site errors. Try a different browser maybe. My Firefox Quantum has had hardly any of the issues others have been reporting. Also it's best to empty any browser caches regularly.

CHEERS!

Nope, I shouldn't have to do all that crap, thought they were fixing it?

I agree, and they should, but, there's no telling how long that will take. There's no harm in a little DIY to help things along, after all, you'd be one less they'd have to deal with.

CHEERS!

To be honest I don't know what "WYSIWYG text editor" is! LOL. Just downloaded this: summernote-0.8.9-dist.
    Extracted it but doesn't seem to have changed anything. If it's a manual fix then screw that, I'm a mechanic not an IT guy!!
    Last edited by shovelchop81; 03-08-2018 at 17:21.

Decided the helmet was still too wide IRL so cut out more from the back to compress it while reglueing it. Also made a start on the torso armour using folded strips of pattern edged felt card to build up the 3D Venus Fly-trap like armour he wears. The strips look a lot like a really nice pasta dish I used to eat on the Greek islands when I was young! I must be hungry...

Yeah, I'm still using Artistic License! And "inspired by" lol.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    To be honest I don't know what "WYSIWYG text editor" is! LOL. Just downloaded this: summernote-0.8.9-dist.
    Extracted it but doesn't seem to have changed anything. If it's a manual fix then screw that, I'm a mechanic not an IT guy!!
    It's not separate software, it's part of OSW, it's a tickbox in the UserCP. Apparently, having it ticked helps, though I'm not sure how.

CHEERS!

The Wraith is looking really good by the way.

CHEERS!

King Greek Pasta Head is coming along nicely. Can't wait to see he finished build.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    It's not separate software, it's part of OSW, it's a tickbox in the UserCP. Apparently, having it ticked helps, though I'm not sure how.

CHEERS!
    I'm an idiot, I was going into profile not settings! All good now, cheers for that!

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    The Wraith is looking really good by the way.

CHEERS!
    Thanks! Bolts for the Vulture build arrived this afternoon but I'm in a gluing and cutting mood not a drilling one today.

Quote Originally Posted by GubernatorFan View Post
    King Greek Pasta Head is coming along nicely. Can't wait to see he finished build.
    LOL, I was actually talking about the chest pieces!

Done some dremelling today, mostly plastic from some old Narnia figures to steal bits and bobs like armour, also my thumb and finger...disc into the thumb and bladed drum into my finger...DOH!
    Working on his back armour for the head and torso too.

Nahh, you're not an idiot, just human!

CHEERS!

Done the back armour on the torso and I'm joining the breastplates together with pleather, I'll add the collar and shoulder pauldrons after paint. Done the back of the helmet too but not crazy about it, might rip it off and start again but it's not like it will even be visible on display though. I'll definitely be making the lobster tail shorter.

Coming along nicely!

CHEERS!

Thanks Roger! Redid the lobster tail and trimmed the odd bit of armour here and there, then painted it for texture using matte clear coat with a mixture of earth and sand so it's not too rough but will look aged and toxic/evil/corrupt? in appearance when properly painted with black primer, silvers and inks.

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP TH WitchKing Armour Built Ready For Pain

Changed the back of the helmet in the end, just couldn't get myself to like that "boot scraper" look, going for a more rounded helmet with the "frills" as accents added to it, like most of the Gondorian helms, King Elendil's for example.

Re: Marathon LOTR/Hobbit 16 Figures WIP TH WitchKing Armour Built Ready For Pain

Cut out the "eye & mouth" slits/gaps and retextured the newly shaped helmet as well as getting into the nooks and crannies with a watered down second coat of dirt and clear coat.

Just noticed he's got a very African Witch Doctor/Voodoo mask look going on, quite appropriate given he's the Witch King!

I'm sure their thoughts were very similar when they were designing him, great minds and all that. Keep up the good work.

CHEERS!

Well obviously as it's their design, I was just making an observation as a fellow designer. I always like to unravel the thought process and ideas behind designs as well as production techniques although the later is more from habit than particular interest....

No worries, it's great when you're on the same page.

CHEERS!

Well we'll never know unless they wrote about it somewhere, I think it was one artist and I forget his name, probably right there in the photographs! That guy who had a go at my first Wraith not being Greco-Roman would know!
    Extended the legs quite a bit to accommodate the armour since the WK is very tall that works nicely and I wasn't going to cut up that gorgeous armour! I'll need to make his arms correspond though but he's a ghost in armour so hardly has a constrained physiology! That rubber tubing from my old boiler works great for ball joints. I'll be removing a lot of his belt armour since it's not needed for this guy and give it to the 18" Sauron figure yet to be built as even though he won't be in full battle armour he'll still need a lot donated from 1/6 just to keep up with these guys who work for him! Done paint too, silver today and possibly drilling for the Vulture build, been working nights mostly so a 1300W drill at 3am is not a great idea for the neighbours as sadly I don't live in an abandoned farm in the middle of nowhere, would be great if I did though!

Looking good! Sometime soon I'll have to get that inventory done, then you might just get something useful out of it. I'll chuck in what's left of my DID LOTR stuff as I'm sure you'll get more mileage out of that than I ever will.

CHEERS!

LOL, I'm pretty sure I will! Just about to order two LOTR/TH swords from Movie Swords, Lord of the Rings - Dragon Reborn
    Where they have some amazing deals going on, like a full size Boromir sword with scabbard for only 39quid! I doubt it's sharp but it's missing from my LOTR collection of weapons, they also have a gorgeous full size (live blade I think) engraved Orcrist with plaque used by the Dwarven King Thorin Oakenshield that's 41" long.
    Done loads of silver paint with the airbrush, I mean loads! Attached the WK's feet and removed that armour.

Orcrist

Boromir's sword

That does look really impressive there, well done!

CHEERS!

Ended up choosing the DR Who Juddoon's forearms to extend the WK's arms since they're black, got armour and buckles already with wrist joints too, only need to be glued on with no dremelling. I'll physically weather the armour bits up with a file then paint them to match the rest of the armour. I'm still tweaking the helmet, cut the nose guard narrower and sharpened the crevices, playing with the quills on his head so I can squash them down and back a bit, might shorten them too; eh it'll be done by the end of the build or the build won't be done!?