Product Review Phicen/ER Red Sonja and Sparta Warrior Photo Reviews - Page 2

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phicen/ER Red Sonja and Sparta Warrior Photo Reviews

Re: Phicen/ER Red Sonja and Sparta Warrior Photo Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by leera300 View Post
    Yikes. Removing the face mask/plate looks difficult and an arduous process. Can I say plastic surgeon Dr. Edwick...lol?? You should post a video sometime of this process so others here can see as you deconstruct the plate and then put them back together after swapping. Please post some photos after the faces are done drying so we can see the final product. Are the cracks/tears on sheena completely covered after putting the plate back in? Keep up the great posts.
    I don't know that I'd have the capacity for a video, but I can probably tell you what a rough transcript of it would look like:

0:00:00 - "So, I'm going to split apart these two headsculpts and put one face on the other."

0:00:10 - "Huh. These heads are glued together a lot tighter than before."

0:05:00 - "These heads are REALLY glued together, aren't they?"

0:06:00 - "Where's my tools. I can't believe I need tools for this."

0:09:00 - "OK, finally got my tools."

0:15:00 - "MAN this is getting kind of ridiculous."

0:30:00 - "$(@#$(%&@"

1:00:00 - "$#(!$(*$&[email protected]($)%$&(#$)([email protected]!!!!!!!!"

1:30:00 - "OK, that's one head off. That's mostly clean."

3:00:00 - "Halfway through Sheena now..."

4:00:00 - "3/4 through Sheena..."

4:15:00 - "$#(!$(*$&!#(($%^%#&()#@*$%@($)%$&(#$)([email protected]!!!!!!!!"

4:30:00 - "DONE. Man, I'm never gonna do that again..."

That said: one person recommended dunking the heads in really hot water to soften the glues, but I'm not sure it would help. It felt like the halves of Sheena's head were fused together.

In any event, the ragged edges are indeed completely hidden once you re-assemble the headsculpts. They fit into the little channels you can see on the backs of the faceplates. They'll take a bit of futzing to get the hairlines right and I may need to redo Sonja's head.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimster View Post
    just an idea, if any of you Kit Bashers want to make a "Gwen Stark of Game of Thrones" Red Sonja head sculpt comes very close.
    Quick correction: that's Sansa Stark on Game of Thrones, played by Sophie Turner, and you're right that Red Sonja does look a lot like her in the later seasons of the show. Gwen Stark is...uh...someone different.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

God, I can't believe you wrote that whole thing. Great job, winner.

Quote Originally Posted by edwick View Post
    Quick correction: that's Sansa Stark on Game of Thrones, played by Sophie Turner, and you're right that Red Sonja does look a lot like her in the later seasons of the show. Gwen Stark is...uh...someone different.
    Funny and very discreetly handled, Edwick.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This goes out to Edwick as the expert, and everybody also. Is this a crazy question, or do all the pictures of Phicen Red Sonja, including the one on her own box, have the shoulder piece on backwards? The leather wraparound piece fits right at the base of her throat to avoid chafing -- so this must be the front. The other side would hurt like hell. And the shoulder armor is a solid piece so that leather bit would be completely pointless at the middle of her back. Amirite?

Anyone who remembers that I said I wasn't going to buy this figure, feel free to mock my lack of willpower.

The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

Actually, you have it on backwards. That odd center piece is just a design element, and not very well thought out, that has been there, in one form or another since the metal bikini was first drawn.

Oh, yeah... Sucka!

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker2011 View Post
    Actually, you have it on backwards. That odd center piece is just a design element, and not very well thought out, that has been there, in one form or another since the metal bikini was first drawn.

Oh, yeah... Sucka!
    See, the thing is ... No, it's not. And I was there and I bought everything from her first appearances in 1973 on and I've at least internet skimmed everything she's been in since. This particular piece with artsy sculpted knot looks more ArtDeco than Hyrkanian and not quite like anything I remember her having, Frank Cho or otherwise. And I think the only possible purpose of the leather wrap is throat protection. Maybe they designed it one way and decided it looked better the other way?

She doesn't even have it on the exact cover where Phicen got that specific brown cloak, that axe, that shield, the same two different armbands, those leg bands, that little pouch, and the hair braid etc. -- she has the same shoulder pads but they are not connected at all, Phicen's designer just invented that:

Last edited by Moonbase Alpha Male; 07-22-2016 at 01:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase Alpha Male View Post
    This goes out to Edwick as the expert, and everybody also. Is this a crazy question, or do all the pictures of Phicen Red Sonja, including the one on her own box, have the shoulder piece on backwards? The leather wraparound piece fits right at the base of her throat to avoid chafing -- so this must be the front. The other side would hurt like hell. And the shoulder armor is a solid piece so that leather bit would be completely pointless at the middle of her back. Amirite?
    Interesting question. That particular bit of Sonja's armor tends to get drawn differently by everyone, so I don't think there's a definitive design for it where her comic book design goes. As you pointed out, it looks like Phicen used Frank Cho's cover of Savage Red Sonja: Queen of the Frozen Wastes #1 as their reference, since they reproduced literally everything on it: the fur cloak, the tower shield, the kneepads, even the little coin pouch on a cord around her waist. The cloak is also covering up that part of her armor, but it looks like that metal "knot" isn't visible. I'd say that's one point in favor of your read on it that everyone's been putting the shoulder armor on backwards.

The other comic book artist I'd say is definitive as far as Sonja goes would be Frank Thorne's 70's version, and this cover from Marvel Feature #6 shows a metal bit on the front, which would favor the way Phicen did it. I'd also point at Esteban Maroto's original pin-up that introduced her steel bikini. I believe an alternate cover to the Dynamite Red Sonja #2 presented the original pinup in color (last row, right side), where she's also got a metal element in the front. But I don't think that's been consistent -- you can find Frank Thorne art that drops the front design element and sometimes all the shoulder armor, and as I said every artist seems to draw it a bit differently (though most do seem to include some metal bits in the front).

Fun fact: Sonja as introduced in Conan the Barbarian and drawn by Barry Windsor-Smith wore a chainmail shirt and shorts. But he also drew Conan a lot smaller and more lithe than guys like John Buscema. But it also means that Sonja's current Dynamite re-design is actually closer to the first Sonja than the one we've been seeing for all these years (and a custom I'm contemplating trying to make, in my copious free time...).

Yes, I'm a Red Sonja geek. I'd like to give better reasons than "she's a redhead in a steel bikini killing things with an axe," but if age has not brought wisdom, it has at least brought enough self-awareness to know I really don't have a better one.

Regarding your lack of willpower: Red Sonja will not be denied. It's another appealing thing about her, I think .

Here's my Sparta Warrior-

The cloak is nice, heavy but the tiny thin piece of plastic to connect it I fear will break one day.

The shield. In trying to get her gripping hand around it, I accidentally broke the grip so that's being re-glued now. The greaves can pop off her legs as you pose them, the arm armor not so much. Helmet good fit and styling.

The sword and spear could have been chromed or even metal but they don't look bad.

Not a bad fig imho. Only other thing would be to have a proper Lambda on the shield!

For those of you who broke the sword's grip and/or found getting the hand onto the grip to be difficult . . .

Have y'all tried heating up the gripping hand to make it pliable and soft before attaching it to the sword group?

I apologize if the preceding offended the logical sense of anyone's 1:6 sensibilities.

Mine is scheduled to arrive today.

WOO HOO!
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
    ~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

Quote Originally Posted by edwick View Post
    Interesting question. That particular bit of Sonja's armor tends to get drawn differently by everyone, so I don't think there's a definitive design for it where her comic book design goes. As you pointed out, it looks like Phicen used Frank Cho's cover of Savage Red Sonja: Queen of the Frozen Wastes #1 as their reference, since they reproduced literally everything on it: the fur cloak, the tower shield, the kneepads, even the little coin pouch on a cord around her waist. The cloak is also covering up that part of her armor, but it looks like that metal "knot" isn't visible. I'd say that's one point in favor of your read on it that everyone's been putting the shoulder armor on backwards.

The other comic book artist I'd say is definitive as far as Sonja goes would be Frank Thorne's 70's version, and this cover from Marvel Feature #6 shows a metal bit on the front, which would favor the way Phicen did it. I'd also point at Esteban Maroto's original pin-up that introduced her steel bikini. I believe an alternate cover to the Dynamite Red Sonja #2 presented the original pinup in color (last row, right side), where she's also got a metal element in the front. But I don't think that's been consistent -- you can find Frank Thorne art that drops the front design element and sometimes all the shoulder armor, and as I said every artist seems to draw it a bit differently (though most do seem to include some metal bits in the front).

Fun fact: Sonja as introduced in Conan the Barbarian and drawn by Barry Windsor-Smith wore a chainmail shirt and shorts. But he also drew Conan a lot smaller and more lithe than guys like John Buscema. But it also means that Sonja's current Dynamite re-design is actually closer to the first Sonja than the one we've been seeing for all these years (and a custom I'm contemplating trying to make, in my copious free time...).

Yes, I'm a Red Sonja geek. I'd like to give better reasons than "she's a redhead in a steel bikini killing things with an axe," but if age has not brought wisdom, it has at least brought enough self-awareness to know I really don't have a better one.

Regarding your lack of willpower: Red Sonja will not be denied. It's another appealing thing about her, I think .
    Thanks, it's kind of an interesting geeky question, isn't it? It's hard even for me to "displace" all the pictures I've seen before and think it fresh. But if someone gave you Phicen Red Sonja loose in parts and you had never seen a picture, wouldn't "tabula rasa Edwick" probably put the shoulderguard on the other way? The leather wrap bit is a throat protector (what else could it be?) so what's it doing at the back?

The leather wrap bit is a throat protector (what else could it be?) so what's it doing at the back?
    It's protecting her spine.

Thanks, it's kind of an interesting geeky question, isn't it? It's hard even for me to "displace" all the pictures I've seen before and think it fresh. But if someone gave you Phicen Red Sonja loose in parts and you had never seen a picture, wouldn't "tabula rasa Edwick" probably put the shoulderguard on the other way? The leather wrap bit is a throat protector (what else could it be?) so what's it doing at the back?
    Honestly, I think I would still put the knot in the front. Across all the art she's been in, there has been varying amounts of ornamentation on her shoulder "armor" (which, like her steel bikini, really doesn't provide much in the way of protection), but I always visualized it as solid metal without many/any straps for adjustment. Of course, the realities of this figure make me fully aware of how truly impractical that is.

In any event, I'm planning to tweak that shoulder piece anyway, and I wanted to experiment with more flexible materials running between the shoulder pieces. I was thinking of chain or otherwise articulating the plastic pieces that are already there, but based on your comments, I might try something with leather-like material too. We'll see how it goes -- if I destroy the shoulder armor completely, I really won't be too sad about it.

Resurrecting for a few extra photos.

Red Sonja New Headsculpt by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

Done! Actually was done a long time ago, but a variety of factors meant I couldn't get a good picture of it until now. I still don't think I really did, but at least it's with the Real Camera.

Blonde Sonja by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

This is Sonja with Sheena's blonde hair. She looks pretty nice as a blonde, and seems more suitable as a model than as a warrior woman. Her hairline on the forehead is a little high and I think it's because I really mauled Sheena's hairpiece to separate it from her faceplate. I'll have to go to work on it with some hair product or make sure she's wearing hats if I use her head for stuff.

Red Sonja Height Comparison by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

For kicks, I put Red Sonja in the lightbox with some other action figures to compare sizes (with the help of a 1/6 scale conversion ruler I got many moons ago from the now-defunct Good Stuff to Go).

On the left is the Kaustic Plastik KP04 muscle body. In the center is Nanok the Savage, who is an ACI Bruce muscle body. On the right is Red Sonja (with new headsculpt), who is a Phicen 5.0E muscle body with heeled boots. You can see that all 3 of them are six-footers, with the KP04 coming up slightly taller, followed very closely by Red Sonja and the ACI Bruce the shortest of the lot (though his sandals might have something to do with that).

Muscle Body Height Comparison by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

Just for the sake of completeness. From left to right is the Kaustic Plastik KP04 muscle body, the ACI Bruce muscle body, the Phicen M31 male muscle body, and the Phicen 5.0E female muscle body.

Muscle Body Height Comparison by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

Regular Phicen muscular body up with the Spartan, just to prove they're the same base body.

Let me first say great reviews on both Sonja and the Sparta Warrior. Although I might still pick up the Sonja, kind of find it disappointing about the quality of her accessories. For the amount of money you would expect SOME of them to be made of metal and have a realistic look, or at least be molded and sculpted with better quality material.

Same with some of the items from the Sparta.

Still has not stopped my from planning to get them, BUT now I know I will be doing a lot of mods to get them to look the way I want them to.

Thanks again for a great review!

As said before, excellent reviews.

Edwick, are you planning on getting the CICF Demon Hunter? Visually (but not historically) her design overlaps quite nicely with the Sparta. I can see an interesting quartet of (1) Sparta, (2) CICF DH, (3) mix of some parts Sparta and DH, (4) reverse mix with remaining parts. Sadly, CICF DH may be too limited to get, or too expensive in the aftermarket.

Great Figures and Great Job on Sonja !

Great pics. I can't wait to get mine in. They finally came in on Tuesday and I paid for them on Wednesday, still no update when they are being shipped out though.

Are these getting re-release on the week of October 3rd, or within the month of October? I am going to convert one shelf to display her and her allies that I'm working on.

Really like the Sonja face swap. I definitely prefer the facial expression and overall look.

So the Sparta has a little hook on the clasp to attach the cape? Apparently mine is broken off. I thought it came unglued and I would have to attach with fabri-tac or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Texastoyz View Post
    So the Sparta has a little hook on the clasp to attach the cape? Apparently mine is broken off. I thought it came unglued and I would have to attach with fabri-tac or something.
    Mine was broken right out of the box. I attached a couple of Lee Valley small adhesive magnets, and now it clamps on and off, much better.

Mine was broken right out of the box. I attached a couple of Lee Valley small adhesive magnets, and now it clamps on and off, much better.

Ok, thanks for the advice. I will have to look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by cygirlz View Post
    Here's my Sparta Warrior-

The cloak is nice, heavy but the tiny thin piece of plastic to connect it I fear will break one day.

The shield. In trying to get her gripping hand around it, I accidentally broke the grip so that's being re-glued now. The greaves can pop off her legs as you pose them, the arm armor not so much. Helmet good fit and styling.

The sword and spear could have been chromed or even metal but they don't look bad.

Not a bad fig imho. Only other thing would be to have a proper Lambda on the shield!
    I'd love to see this one side by side with the Star Ace Leonidas:
    Star Ace - King Leonidas (300)

What is the body of Red Sonja? S20A?

These are often of the 'suntan' tone, So it would be the S21B.