Miscellaneous Subject if phicens or other high end figures appeared at us toys r us stores...

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: if phicens or other high end figures appeared at us toys r us stores...

if phicens or other high end figures appeared at us toys r us stores...

if phicens or other high end figures appeared at us toys r us stores...what would you think, or say? would you be happy or concerned? or would you think you must be dreaming? given that tru has as of late been making sure to stock way more action figures, and higher end collectibles...i could see someone like ht getting us distribution at tru. i mean certainly not with their current 1/6 but how long before ht decides to capitalize on the fact that we so desperately want 1/6 at tru. or maybe even bbi might make another comeback which would be their 3rd i think...and i wouldn't be surprised with the pte news, that they are looking for that route to be explored.
    Hail Cobra!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: if phicens or other high end figures appeared at us toys r us stores...

Quote Originally Posted by CobraTrooper11 View Post
    if phicens or other high end figures appeared at us toys r us stores...what would you think, or say? would you be happy or concerned? or would you think you must be dreaming? given that tru has as of late been making sure to stock way more action figures, and higher end collectibles...i could see someone like ht getting us distribution at tru. i mean certainly not with their current 1/6 but how long before ht decides to capitalize on the fact that we so desperately want 1/6 at tru. or maybe even bbi might make another comeback which would be their 3rd i think...and i wouldn't be surprised with the pte news, that they are looking for that route to be explored.
    There can be so much drama if this came to real. Think about target audience of Toys R Us. They are anywhere from new born infant to adolescent. There will be stories everywhere over unrealistically sexualized over-sized boobs of Phicen, implicating all kinds of theories of potential harmful impacts it can bring to those kids. I am not saying we are all pervs but come on. Let's be realistic. LOL

A peculiar discussion thread indeed.

I very likely would have posted the same topic, but nowadays I know better based on what I learned about the 1:6 hobby and business aspect.

With that said . . .

It'll never happen for the reasons stated in the previous replies and then some from a business aspect.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
    ~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That could only be imagined, if the (mid bust) figures would be sold completely dressed (without lady parts and without nippel painting of course) and in an totally different package and as THE alternative to the anatomic impossible Barbies. But in the end:
    Barbies: Around $10-15
    Phicens: Around $100-150
    Even more questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Horst View Post
    Even more questions?
    --

Yes.

1. Why is the sky blue?

2. How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop?

3. Why do HT figures cost so much?

4. Wny are some 1:6 figures so fragile?

5. Why don't TRU stores sell HT figures?

"Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

1.The Sky is blue because it was the artists favourite colour

2.How many licks ...... I could tell you if I knew what one was?(please send one for me to survey ;-p )

3.Limited Market people like us willing to spend stupid money?

4.Badly thought out skeletons , there is a reason the human skeleton has 206 bones

5.Because at least in this country the stocks are very run of the mill and actually quite expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaForceChung View Post
    A peculiar discussion thread indeed.

I very likely would have posted the same topic, but nowadays I know better based on what I learned about the 1:6 hobby and business aspect.

With that said . . .

It'll never happen for the reasons stated in the previous replies and then some from a business aspect.
    Actually it's not outright impossible anymore, based on a couple of things that have changed, such as the expansion of TRU online, and the creation of a higher-end collectibles section in the physical stores. If they can carry something like this Kotobukiya $189 Iron Man: Kotobukiya - Avengers: Age Of Ultron Movie Iron Man Mark 43 Artfx Statue - Global Max - Toys"R"Us it's not out of the question. Still if it ever did happen it would likely be a Licensed Character and HT not Phicen. And it would probably take the form of "Buy Online and Ship to Store" which doesn't really give the figure any more visibility than it has now.
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase Alpha Male View Post
    Actually it's not outright impossible anymore, based on a couple of things that have changed, such as the expansion of TRU online, and the creation of a higher-end collectibles section in the physical stores. If they can carry something like this Kotobukiya $189 Iron Man: Kotobukiya - Avengers: Age Of Ultron Movie Iron Man Mark 43 Artfx Statue - Global Max - Toys"R"Us it's not out of the question. Still if it ever did happen it would likely be a Licensed Character and HT not Phicen. And it would probably take the form of "Buy Online and Ship to Store" which doesn't really give the figure any more visibility than it has now.
    --

That will also open the door for piece of $%^& scumbag fraudsters buying them and them swapping out all or some parts with knock off fake parts or bogus parts from something else and then claim it's broken, etc. and return them.

5. Why don't TRU stores sell HT figures?

There do in Japan.... together with sideshow action figures and statues...

I like things the way they are. Unless the price of the figures went down, because they would then reach a larger base. I would assume a bigger production would also cause the price to go down. if not I would prefer to leave things as they are. if I had to go in the store and shell out 160-200+ I would not have any of my so called high end figures. only through pre-ordering and payment plans am I able to participate in this hobby. I know in the end I still pay the same price, but payment plans just makes it easy for me to digest paying so much for a toy.....

Quote Originally Posted by masamune View Post
    I like things the way they are. Unless the price of the figures went down, because they would then reach a larger base. I would assume a bigger production would also cause the price to go down. if not I would prefer to leave things as they are. if I had to go in the store and shell out 160-200+ I would not have any of my so called high end figures. only through pre-ordering and payment plans am I able to participate in this hobby. I know in the end I still pay the same price, but payment plans just makes it easy for me to digest paying so much for a toy.....
    The psychology of the hobby is so weird -- I am totally the exact opposite. If I really had to think about it over time, with pre-orders and payment plans, I probably couldn't "digest paying so much for a toy" and my purchases would drop down to almost nothing. Passing by a store and seeing what's come in, and "impulse buying," is the only way i justify buying expensive figures that I really shouldn't. That being said, I don't think it would work the same way for me if the store was mass market corporate rather than someone I know (Toy Square in my case).
    The guidance counselor was surprised: “I didn’t even know career aptitude tests had a Super-Villain category.”

The psychology of the hobby is so weird -- I am totally the exact opposite. If I really had to think about it over time, with pre-orders and payment plans, I probably couldn't "digest paying so much for a toy" and my purchases would drop down to almost nothing. Passing by a store and seeing what's come in, and "impulse buying," is the only way i justify buying expensive figures that I really shouldn't. That being said, I don't think it would work the same way for me if the store was mass market corporate rather than someone I know (Toy Square in my case).
    yeah psychology is weird...I just cannot pull out 200+ and spend it on a toy. even though that is exactly what I am doing. the 35.00 that comes off my card each time I am paid does not effect me and I never pay notice to it. I use to blow at least that much on junk so my mind see it as if I am getting the figure free but we both know that is not true...but again funny how we can psyche ourselves out.

but if I had to go in the store and have some one ring me up and say " sir that will be 320 plus taxes for those two Phicen Lady Spartan...." no way would I buy them. I have never made no qualms that I do not think the figures are worth what I spend for them, but I love my 1/6 figures, (but do not be surprised if by next year I disappear from the forum for a while. need a break from 1/6th spending)...but the good thing is I have made so many purchases over the last three years that I am beginning to say no to many figures that I want.....Like the SS Punisher.

having to wait on a figure to come out. keeps down the impulse buying. now when a figure comes out I wait at least a month now before pre-ordering to see if the excitement wears off and fifty percent of the time it does. I was gung ho to get that knock off of Dead Shot that they are offering as time went by I realize I don't need nor do I want the figure. the same thing can be said about the Marvel Civil War figures....the only figure out of the line I am still contemplating getting is The Black Widow. Now that I see I can get a good quality knock off head sculp of Finn and Rey I will not be getting the only two figures I want from the new SW movie.

for 2017 I will most likely be only buying the Hot Toy figures from The DC universe. I have paid for most of them ones I want other than the Knightmare Batman who I will pre-order next week From SS.

Quote Originally Posted by masamune View Post
    I have never made no qualms that I do not think the figures are worth what I spend for them, but I love my 1/6 figures, (but do not be surprised if by next year I disappear from the forum for a while. need a break from 1/6th spending)...but the good thing is I have made so many purchases over the last three years that I am beginning to say no to many figures that I want.....Like the SS Punisher.
    I hear you! BTW if you do take a break from 1/6 spending, don't necessarily feel like you have to disappear from OSW. There are whole parts of this hobby that I appreciate purely through looking at other people's pictures and reading other people's comments without me spending any money at all.

I hear you! BTW if you do take a break from 1/6 spending, don't necessarily feel like you have to disappear from OSW. There are whole parts of this hobby that I appreciate purely through looking at other people's pictures and reading other people's comments without me spending any money at all.
    --

WAIT A MINUTE!

You live 1:6 vicariously through others?!

you make a good point, you and DFC. I will try that, but for me I learned how to control shopping sprees. I just stay out of the store. If I don't see it...I don't want it. all the new stuff that comes out I hear about it from here first. if that does not work I will then limit myself to Side Show Collectibles just to see what upcoming figure is coming out....

but if I learn to just limit myself to a few head sculpts, a body here and there I will be fine. my big loves in 1/6th has primarily been Modern Military stuff, mostly PMC because then I can decide what they are fighting for. when it's country against country it becomes to political and we are here to have fun not talk politics. I have enough MM figures and what is coming out other than loose parts, such as guns, some of the BDU's and gear is all I want. so I am good there.

My two kryptonite these days is Phicen, which I said before if they do not release a new type of body after Mercy Dante I will not be buying anymore. after while you just buying the same figure with a different head sculpt and clothing which I rarely keep I generally which them to a more PMC or survivalist look. the other would be Hot Toys but I have decided to limit that to the DC movie universe. I would be surprised if Hot Toys do every character from the upcoming Suicide Squad or the Justice league move.

Another good thread sucessfully off the rails...
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

B&M shoppers spend and buy differently form online collectors. Just because an item sells for big bucks online doesn't mean a store shopper will pay it.

First example- Final Fantasy VII on PS1. Sells for a fair bit on eBay, yet so many used game stores I used to go to had stacks of them at eBay prices and no one ever paid it.

Second example- Playmates TMNT 80s reissue figures. They sold poorly in actual stores because they cost more than the modern line they were stocked right next to, even if they were priced below eBay vintage prices.

I think the collectors prefer to shop online, because there may be less guarantee of finding it if they go to a store, and it's more convenient. Store shoppers are either browsing or thrifty, and may not understand why something the size of a Ken doll costs 10X more than a Ken doll. It's really the only reason I can factor in for why there's such a discrepancy in sales volume between online and actual stores for the same goods.

Sooo many reasons why this would never happen, at least here in the US. Not even really worth entertaining the thought imo.

Quote Originally Posted by stl71 View Post
    Sooo many reasons why this would never happen, at least here in the US. Not even really worth entertaining the thought imo.
    This.

It's quite hard to picture Phicen, Hot Toys and other high-end 1:6 figures at TRUs aisles, not only for the price.

Those 'X-Acto Blade Bandits' would have a field day like it's Christmas.

For all noobs too young to remember, 'X-Acto Blade Bandits' (you all know who you are) are them cheap bastards who cut through the boxes and steal parts from the set... or them ones who buy the box, take all the good weapons and gear, replace them with random cheap parts, then return the box for a full refund. Rinse and repeat.

The store employees who make minimum wage couldn't tell the difference and could care less about 1:6 items, so they just put the figures back in the shelves.
    Back in the 90s and early 2000s days, TRUs and Target shelves were littered with boxed figures and weapons card with missing or replaced parts.

Vehicle sets with missing gas cans? Check.
    21st Cent. German Paratrooper set with missing FG43, replaced with a GI Joe space gun? Check.

USMC Raider with missing Reising SMG, replaced with an AK-47? Check.

Phicen Female Spartan warrior, sexy body replaced by a Barbie figure... it could and will happen!

Call me a hater, but surely these cheap deadbeats will always be around, waiting and ready to strike at any moment.
    Last edited by SPEARHEAD; 07-18-2016 at 13:38.

Quote Originally Posted by SPEARHEAD View Post
    This.
    Call me a hater, but surely these cheap deadbeats will always be around, waiting and ready to strike at any moment.
    Wouldn't be an issue as they currently ply their trade online through marketplaces such as amazon and ebay.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes Soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
    Wouldn't be an issue as they currently ply their trade online through marketplaces such as amazon and ebay.
    Haha damn right!

Some loser tried to pull that move when I sold him a mint Dragon figure on Ebay, he said his 'son' changed his mind so he returned the item and asked for a refund. Bingo, when I checked it's clear a few gear got replaced carefully. Good thing I took a picture before I shipped it the first time.

I bet they're more successful pulling that crap with figures bought through Amazon, especially if the employees don't know or care.

Haha damn right!

Some loser tried to pull that move when I sold him a mint Dragon figure on Ebay, he said his 'son' changed his mind so he returned the item and asked for a refund. Bingo, when I checked it's clear a few gear got replaced carefully. Good thing I took a picture before I shipped it the first time.

I bet they're more successful pulling that crap with figures bought through Amazon, especially if the employees don't know or care.
    Yep, I've dealt with it on a few occasions, but fortunately the vast majority of folk in this community are excellent to deal with, much more so than many other industries and niches.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes Soon.

This.

It's quite hard to picture Phicen, Hot Toys and other high-end 1:6 figures at TRUs aisles, not only for the price.

Those 'X-Acto Blade Bandits' would have a field day like it's Christmas.

For all noobs too young to remember, 'X-Acto Blade Bandits' (you all know who you are) are them cheap bastards who cut through the boxes and steal parts from the set... or them ones who buy the box, take all the good weapons and gear, replace them with random cheap parts, then return the box for a full refund. Rinse and repeat.

The store employees who make minimum wage couldn't tell the difference and could care less about 1:6 items, so they just put the figures back in the shelves.
    Back in the 90s and early 2000s days, TRUs and Target shelves were littered with boxed figures and weapons card with missing or replaced parts.

Vehicle sets with missing gas cans? Check.
    21st Cent. German Paratrooper set with missing FG43, replaced with a GI Joe space gun? Check.

USMC Raider with missing Reising SMG, replaced with an AK-47? Check.

Phicen Female Spartan warrior, sexy body replaced by a Barbie figure... it could and will happen!

I didn't think about theft or physical damages & returns when first reading this thread. But excellent point. Most who collect expensive 1/6 scale figures regularly imagine walking into a toy store on our way home from work and buying our favorite items on the spot. But toy stores (like book stores; like music/cd stores) are becoming extinct. Even FAO SCHWARZ is closing it's doors (depressing)!!!! Depending on your perspective, this is either a pro or a con of the internet. Would Americans know what Hot Toys or Phicens are without the internet? I wouldn't have known if I didn't see them online. There are actual shops/stores where we can find these collectables (depending on your location). And thank Superman for Comic Con(s)!!!! But even if we did still live in the internet-free days, Phicen figures would be banned as others have pointed out, by folks who'd find them too mature for toy stores. And getting a present in the mail is part of the fun anyways. Lol.

I'm guessing if little Xs posing as swastikas on TUS figures got a nannies up in arms, barely concealed rubber boobs would give them a full-on s**t-fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Goobikza View Post
    I'm guessing if little Xs posing as swastikas on TUS figures got a nannies up in arms, barely concealed rubber boobs would give them a full-on s**t-fit.
    Exactly, this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker2011 View Post
    Exactly, this.
    It's happened. Way back when, Toys'r'Us sold an 8" Mai Shiranui from King of Fighters that was what would eventually come to be known as "cast-offable," meaning that her dress was a separate piece and if you removed it, her very large upper parts were, well, detailed...

It's happened. Way back when, Toys'r'Us sold an 8" Mai Shiranui from King of Fighters that was what would eventually come to be known as "cast-offable," meaning that her dress was a separate piece and if you removed it, her very large upper parts were, well, detailed...
    Really? When did this happen? Can you post a link regarding this story?

Quote Originally Posted by Comicsrcoll78 View Post
    Really? When did this happen? Can you post a link regarding this story?
    This below is the figure. It's made by BBI and I believe they also made a 12" but I never saw that one. I had seen the 7" figure at TRU myself so I paid attention when I read or heard somewhere that there were complaints about it. Later I bought the figure and verified that she has in fact a removable dress, and sculpted but not painted nipples. On a 12" body that would have been one thing but for a mass market 7" that was really unusual.

This was in the late 90's and there wasn't the level of internet collectibles commentary that there is now so I can't find any link record of the complaints. Probably I read it as filler in some newspaper or saw it at the bottom of a newscast. I can verify that the figure does get nekkid tho, as I still have one.

This below is the figure. It's made by BBI and I believe they also made a 12" but I never saw that one. I had seen the 7" figure at TRU myself so I paid attention when I read or heard somewhere that there were complaints about it. Later I bought the figure and verified that she has in fact a removable dress, and sculpted but not painted nipples. On a 12" body that would have been one thing but for a mass market 7" that was really unusual.

This was in the late 90's and there wasn't the level of internet collectibles commentary that there is now so I can't find any link record of the complaints. Probably I read it as filler in some newspaper or saw it at the bottom of a newscast. I can verify that the figure does get nekkid tho, as I still have one.

--

I remember that figure.

BBI didn't produce a foot long 12" version of her. It would have been a very hard offering to swallow on a retail level and the less than firm stroking exploitation of its risque design clearly lead to a premature release from the retail shelves as a climax.

--

I remember that figure.

BBI didn't produce a foot long 12" version of her. It would have been a very hard offering to swallow on a retail level and the less than firm stroking exploitation of its risque design clearly lead to a premature release from the retail shelves as a climax.
    Funny bit DFC, and good on you for cuming (up with it); but just in case anyone's interest is now piqued about these BBI figures, this was their larger version: