Vehicle Customized 1/6 scale Harley-Davidson from Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Customized 1/6 scale Harley-Davidson from Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Customized 1/6 scale Harley-Davidson from Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Custom painted and modified 1/6 scale Harley-Davidson Fat Boy motorcycle.

Unlike some of my other action figures, T-800 from Terminator 2: Judgment Day has remained on display over the several years since I acquired it. I had long hoped to display it with the iconic 1990 Harley-Davidson Fat Boy motorcycle from the film, but despite the popularity of all things Terminator, it does not appear that a vehicle matching its appearance in the movie has been produced in 1/6 scale. Customizers have had to modify similar vehicles, most commonly a 1/6 scale remote-controlled Harley-Davidson made by Tamiya.

I obtained a 1/6 scale Harley-Davidson Fat Boy officially licensed by the company in 1999 and sold by Mattel for, of all things, Barbie (these can still be found on EBay for less than astronomical amounts). Apart from its paint and a couple of features, the motorcycle seems to be identical to the 1991 Harley-Davidson Fat Boy used in Terminator 2. To achieve movie-accurate appearance, I studied freeze-frames from the film and the work of other customizers. The modifications were as follows:
    (1) removed the front and rear turn lights,
    (2) painted the fenders and fuel tank cover with black acrylic paint (from the original red and gray), while trying to preserve the yellow and orange detail,
    (3) painted the clutch and break levers and the cylinder in front of the engine column in chrome (from black),
    (4) superimposed a movie-accurate license plate number over the original one (although T-800 might be the only guy able to get away with riding on a bike with “Barbie” on the license plate),
    (5) covered the whole thing in gloss finish (avoiding the rubber parts),
    (6) and constructed, as best I could, a pair of black leather saddlebags to hang over the rear fender.

An extra note on the model: the motorcycle cam be detached from its base by unscrewing several long screws from below. The model can then be displayed leaning on the retractable articulated side stand. For the purposes of easier handling and greater stability while customizing, I did not bother detaching it from the base in this project.

Although my skills are limited, especially working in this small scale, I believe the result is reasonably movie accurate. At any rate, it might give some ideas to other customizers.

I do not seem to be able to post or upload images here, but you can see the pictures in the album:

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...minator-2.html

Last edited by GubernatorFan; 06-08-2016 at 12:57. Reason: additional note on model

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Customized 1/6 scale Harley-Davidson from Terminator 2: Judgment Day

I was able to link the images, and they are impressive, GubernatorFan. You have every reason to be proud of this figure.

As to how I got the pics up, let's just say that it involved a brief phone call, and a claymore mine.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Harley-Davidson FLSTF Fat Boy (Model Car)
    Long sold out here but they come up from time to time on ebay...

>>>
    "There are no versions of the truth..." Richard Dawkins...
    The truth is the truth no matter where it may take us...
    Truth has no boundaries...

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

that is spot on! now all you need is the tow truck with the t1000 lol...but seriously great job!
    Hail Cobra!

VERY nice work!
    "Women uh... women sense my power and they seek the life essence." General Jack D. Ripper

Very nice!

CHEERS!

Sweet!!!
    Nice work on this custom

Cya
    Hankster
    Jupiter, Fla

Outside of the tamiya model, that's the best work I've seen. Looks very nice.

Thank you very much, pukingdog, for linking the images! And thank you all for the positive comments.
    A couple of thoughts on the Tamiya Harley-Davidson FLSTF Fat Boy (Model Car) referenced by Sgt_Steiner. That does look physically very accurate (and the silverish HD logo is probably more accurate than the yellow one), but would need the same amount of modification if complete, or assembly if not. And then there is price and availability to consider. I actually wonder if perhaps Tamiya was not contracted to produce the Harley-Davidson for Mattel's Barbie, because from what I have seen online, the detail is very similar. But I could be wrong.

Great Work !

Man, that's excellent work. I like it.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

BUMPED to see if it is showing up still. Having some issues due to glitchy program/OSW intercourse. YEP, that's what I said....
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

I know of a shop that has one still wrapped in the plastic but they want $500 bills other wise I would have one myself.

I'm not seeing any images.
    "Impossible is just a stage." Chris Hadfield

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Steiner View Post
    Harley-Davidson FLSTF Fat Boy (Model Car)
    Long sold out here but they come up from time to time on ebay...

>>>
    Quote Originally Posted by GubernatorFan View Post
    Thank you very much, pukingdog, for linking the images! And thank you all for the positive comments.
    A couple of thoughts on the Tamiya Harley-Davidson FLSTF Fat Boy (Model Car) referenced by Sgt_Steiner. That does look physically very accurate (and the silverish HD logo is probably more accurate than the yellow one), but would need the same amount of modification if complete, or assembly if not. And then there is price and availability to consider. I actually wonder if perhaps Tamiya was not contracted to produce the Harley-Davidson for Mattel's Barbie, because from what I have seen online, the detail is very similar. But I could be wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Code Name Clark View Post
    I know of a shop that has one still wrapped in the plastic but they want $500 bills other wise I would have one myself.
    Not sure if this thread had the reference to the Barbie Harley, I don't see it here anywhere, if not my apologies.
    Sears middlemans old stock items from time to,time on their web site. There is currently a Barbie Harley Fat Boy on the site for $69 and change. Don't know if the price is good or bad, but thought I would point it out just in case.
    I live with a time traveling pug that has no teeth, i'd say that's only "middle of the road" on the weird scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Pontiacivan View Post
    Not sure if this thread had the reference to the Barbie Harley, I don't see it here anywhere, if not my apologies.
    Sears middlemans old stock items from time to,time on their web site. There is currently a Barbie Harley Fat Boy on the site for $69 and change. Don't know if the price is good or bad, but thought I would point it out just in case.
    Yes, this is about the Barbie Harley-Davidson from 1999, customized to match the 1990 Harley-Davidson from Terminator 2. My apologies to everyone, I tried to edit the post to add a little note on the removable base and it has disappeared, perhaps awaiting staff approval. I have learned my lesson, and will not make any further edits to posts (like the Holocaust, never again!). I realize I am new to this forum, but the way it works is bewildering.

Yes, this is about the Barbie Harley-Davidson from 1999, customized to match the 1990 Harley-Davidson from Terminator 2. My apologies to everyone, I tried to edit the post to add a little note on the removable base and it has disappeared, perhaps awaiting staff approval. I have learned my lesson, and will not make any further edits to posts (like the Holocaust, never again!). I realize I am new to this forum, but the way it works is bewildering.
    No worries here. Your bike is so fantastic, I got nervous that I was posting on the wrong custom ! Just shows how good a job you did !
    I live with a time traveling pug that has no teeth, i'd say that's only "middle of the road" on the weird scale.

Thanks! Silly me, I forgot to add that until the original post is restored, one can look at the images in my album:

I still can't see the images from the original post. I wanted to show my father in law your fantastic work. Let me know if they are in another thread wher I can view them.

Again, thanks again !

I still can't see the images from the original post. I wanted to show my father in law your fantastic work. Let me know if they are in another thread wher I can view them.

Again, thanks again !
    Hi. I just checked and discovered that after about three days of absence, the original post is back. And on my second try, the images loaded. I don't know what angelic being is responsible for fixing this, but he or she deserves some good karma.

BTW, I did provide a link to the album where the images are located in another post on here. Here it is again:

Hi. I just checked and discovered that after about three days of absence, the original post is back. And on my second try, the images loaded. I don't know what angelic being is responsible for fixing this, but he or she deserves some good karma.

BTW, I did provide a link to the album where the images are located in another post on here. Here it is again:
    Thanks ! My father in law was suitably impressed. I'm slowly getting him to see why I enjoy this hobby. Probably won't ever participate, but might reduce the odd looks I get if I bring action figures when we visit.

Thanks ! My father in law was suitably impressed. I'm slowly getting him to see why I enjoy this hobby. Probably won't ever participate, but might reduce the odd looks I get if I bring action figures when we visit.
    I was going to say... you have a pretty cool father-in-law to appreciate this.

I was going to say... you have a pretty cool father-in-law to appreciate this.
    Thanks, he really is pretty cool and he loves the job you did. It was especially fun to watch him flip back and forth,between an original photo and your custom, pointing out details in yours. He has a good eye.

I've been able to get him to chuckle at a few WIPs and he seems to be OK with the WWR figures I have.

He doesn't get the Toilet thread, but then, who really does ? The number of characters I am creating and the collection of accessories I am building are not of much interest, but might be when I have a more complete story to show him.

Either way, you have received the higher praise of the two of us for your
    Harley. I'll take that as a start!

Thanks! Silly me, I forgot to add that until the original post is restored, one can look at the images in my album:
    https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/for...minator-2.html
    I know this thread is VERY old, but I've recently obtained a Barbie Fat Boy just like this one. I'm wondering if you disassembled the bike to paint. If so, how did you remove the fenders and gas tank?

Sorry, with the constant log in problems I don't check here much, and been busy on the new forum anyway. But to answer your question, I did not disassemble the bike -- I did not even unscrew the long screws attaching it to the base; that would have made working on some of the underside details a lot easier, but would have made standing, storing, and balancing the bike a constant hassle. Just did my best with the Molotow markers (I think that's what I used) and brushes. Since the fenders and some other bits needed repainting anyway, and since I had both black and chrome, it was relatively easy to fix any mistakes. Hope this helps at least a little.
    I can't see a thing in this helmet.
    http://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/

Thanks.
    I ended up partially disassembling the bike. The seat was glued down and under it were two screws holding on the rear fender. The gas tank left and right halves were glued together, also. I used a couple of plastic phone prying tools, to "break" the glued parts apart. It was fairly easy and the parts were not damaged and were easily glued back together. The front fender, I couldn't figure out (the tire probably needed to come off). So, I left it on and masked it. Customized 1/6 scale Harley-Davidson from Terminator 2: Judgment Day-t800fatboy-jpgCustomized 1/6 scale Harley-Davidson from Terminator 2: Judgment Day-t800fatboy2-jpg
    Last edited by fdisker2000; 08-11-2020 at 03:26.

Great job. I'm glad nothing got damaged in the process.

Great job. I'm glad nothing got damaged in the process.
    Thanks, again.
    I just have to do a little more modification; to make it more accurate: tank logo, remove turn signals, saddle bags, etc. and of course: Arnold needs sunglasses.

Oh yes... I used the ones that came with the set. They do sell some saddle bags, but they are not quite right in terms of design so I made my own. Although I removed the turn signals, I did not mess with the tank logo. Did you fix the license plate?

Better photos here:
    Terminator 2 figures and gear