REVIEW: Sideshow's Shaun of the Dead - Shaun and Ed Exclusives

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: REVIEW: Sideshow's Shaun of the Dead - Shaun and Ed Exclusives

REVIEW: Sideshow's Shaun of the Dead - Shaun and Ed Exclusives

Reviewer/writer Matt Kessen delivers an in-depth look at two of Sideshow's most underrated 1:6 scale figures - and sort-of "zombie" figures at that - Shaun of the Dead - Shaun and Shaun of the Dead - Ed, both in-stock NOW at SideshowCollectibles.com!

It’s a great time to be a fan of the mindless, cannibalistic, horde-based walking dead. Never before has the market for zombie movies been anywhere near this strong. It’s like the whole vampire fetish of the '90s, only now, instead of sexy and immortal, the hot undead are rotting and witless. What this says about where we are as a culture is too horrifying a question to contemplate. But whatever the reasons may be, zombie movies, like zombies themselves, threaten to overwhelm us with sheer numbers.

Also like zombies, a few stand out from the crowd. A good number of them have attempted to do this by proposing that zombies are warm-blooded and active, rather than the brainless lumberers they were previously thought to be. Then there was Zombie Strippers, a movie about zombies who were all Nobel Laureates – or wait, no, that’s not it. And Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg’s Shaun of the Dead brought comedy to the genre; real comedy, the funny kind, rather than the lameness that passes for humor in so many of these films. It billed itself as the "first zombie romantic comedy," and the whole was greater than the sum of its parts.

Check out the full review HERE.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Not a big fan of this stuff as an action figure. However, I can appreciate the work. I am sure there are folks out there who will love it. Looks cool anyway.

Yeah - I was sort of surprised they did 1:6 scale figures of the characters, but they go great with Sideshow's "The Dead" and Peril Unlimited's Zombie Builder Program if you're a fan of those...

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great review thanks Jess! Quite tempted to pick these guys up as i quite liked the movie but as of yet just got the cricket bat and white shoes for my cricketeer bash i did recently. Cool looking figs tho
    -mike-

I like it all cept those SS bodies...they got to go!!
    "Other people's illusion of safety does not supersede my human rights." -Gabe Suarez

Awesome film, Awesome figures, I own both exclusives too.

HL2

I am a big fan of Shaun of the Dead, and, I was so disappointed with these figures. They look nothing like Nick Frost and Simon Pegg and both would be extremely annoyed if SS ever sent some to them. They are just awful. They had so much potential but SS went and ruined them. There are so many inaccuracies and general sloppiness and we really deserve better.

CHEERS!

these are so fun. oh to have endless supplies of cash....

these are so disapointing, could and should of been so much better.........

You don't always know where you stand until you know that you won't run away

I dont have a problem with the Simon Pegg headsculpt, there's no mistaking him up on the shelf. Ed suffers from a really, really poor choice of facial expression however, and he is...I think...the less redeemable of the two.

The uniforms however, are crap. I spent an hour trying to get Simon's pants to look even *somewhat* normal, and his shirt is the kind that was coming out on figures around 2000, it has an ill-fitting collar...since I'm not skilled enough to cut the shirt up and then put it back together with a smaller collar I settled for fabri-tac on the collar and tie so it would lay flat.

But I will agree with everyone who says it was a very, very poor release from Sideshow.

I have to say I thought these were absolutely appalling figures. I loved SOTD and Hot Fuzz and should want these but they are just plain bad! But as if the sculpts weren't bad enough the outfits drag them down further and the cherry on top is the awful Buck bod. Nasty.
    I hate being this negative, but these figures actually made me quite angry, I can not believe Pegg and Frost OK'd them.

I think you guys are collectively a little to used to the $90+ figures and modern bodies.

That doesn't excuse Sideshow, mind you, these are a poor quality release (when held up to their other releases).......I just give the Simon Pegg fig a little more credit than everyone else I suppose.

Okay so they were not spot on, and when you campare them to the Sideshow Spike from BTVS and how much he looks like James Marsters, yeah they are not the best. I have had far worst purchases in the past, for example one of my other summer time purchases, Soldier Story SAD Night Ops.

Yeah well they got the SAD part right, that described my feelings toward that figurewhen I opened the asscessories.

All in all, th SOTD figs could have been far worse.

HL2

I really wanted to buy these as I'm slowly building my zombie collection but these sounds like a PASS. Thanks for saving me $$!

Anybody working on custom Shaun and Ed head sculpts?

Quote Originally Posted by HeadRusch1 View Post
    I think you guys are collectively a little to used to the $90+ figures and modern bodies.

That doesn't excuse Sideshow, mind you, these are a poor quality release (when held up to their other releases).......I just give the Simon Pegg fig a little more credit than everyone else I suppose.
    I know what you mean about price, but I collect a broad range of figures at all prices and with these retailing for $60 (£40 to £50 in most places in the UK) compared to the Character Options Doctor Who range which retail for £20 ($40) I have most of these and picked all bar the RC Dalek up for well under £10 on eBay, then the SS figs are found sorely lacking.
    I have a great many SS figs that I think are fantastic, but these two are IMHO pittiful!