A dumb question about BBI's HAHO Figure

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: A dumb question about BBI's HAHO Figure

A dumb question about BBI's HAHO Figure

Question: If this guy really is a HAHO jumper, wouldn't he basically pass out and get frostbite as a bonus on his way down to Earth, considering he's woefully unprepared for anything related to HIGH ALTITUDE...???

No O2, no protective clothing, NVG that look like they'd rip off his helmet the minute he hit freefall......am I missing something here?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Well you already answered your own question, don't know what add...

Alexei

K, just wasn't sure..HAHO? No....but standard low-altitude jump for delivery into some Afghan valley.....I guess I could buy into that....if you had to chute in.... :P

<shrug>

I hate it when a figures purpose isn't immediately apparrent

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

i guess this is why they are toys and not actual people jumping off airplanes with incomplete equipment

or they may actually have someone out there whom they based this figure after

There was a pic posted of the ref BBI possibly used and the Operator had O2 gear in addition to the gear BBI did include so I would say BBI just short changed us on this figure. I will see if I can post it when I get home, its on that PC.

cool, thx...I'm just curious.....I figure this guy would be MIGHTY cold on his freefall....oh wait....I mean his "glide"

For the record, I gave up on this guy...stripped him down....gotta turn him into..well..something else

Quote Originally Posted by HeadRusch1 View Post
    For the record, I gave up on this guy...stripped him down....gotta turn him into..well..something else
    I couldn't find that ref photo BBI probably used..sorry...I still have my McCabe in the box but geared up, he can still be a lower altitude freefall figure since he doesn't have o2 gear..just need to do the little things like tie up loose equipment really.

He's wearing a fleece jacket.... You are correct on the O2 thing though. His freefall would be real short as he's opening at high altitude, so not a huge amount of prolonged wind resistance on NVG/head. I think the breathing thing would be the biggest concern.

I'm not a professional here, but I know video cameras are mounted with duct tape and survive repeated jumps (a friend is a pro jump trainer/ videographer, before he got a fancy helmet custom made). So, one could assume that military grade NVG and mount should be able to handle freefall for a short time.
    Last edited by cdn_rhino; 09-19-2008 at 23:51.

from pics of PJs that just completed jumps in the ref pic threads...the mounts are taped up or covered up with cardboard...Steve_O will clear this thread up like he has before concerning HALO/HAHO setups..
    Last edited by hqpham; 09-19-2008 at 23:51.

Its funny, I have two HALO/HAHO figures. The BBI figure, which is now in parts...and the Hot Toys Seal HALO......the one that is still somewhat available (in the 3 color desert, comes with the simple single O2 container, etc...which is now also in parts.

Eventually I'll wind up with a chuted guy again on my shelf....but I kept looking at the backpacks and stuff and going "man I want to use that pack, man I want to show his gear" etc.

My BBI guy was stripped...I actually had this brainstorm and used his fleece as a replacement for my Hot Toys marine Sniper (the one with the huge Denali rig that came in standard Marpat)....not sure how accurate that would be but I figure in-country those Snipers might have a little bit of leeway, particularly if he's on an extended 3 Day mission, lets say. Fantasy or Reality, I'm happier with him the way he looks now than before.

Guys, how are the last batch of HALO figures that HT released...the ones in the Dry Suits...to my eyes they looked a little "sparse" on the equipment....and the older version that came with the Viggo Mortensen head from GI Jane looked a little weak too.....dunno...opinions on those?

The dry suit guy is AMAZING. I used to bring one to the show and it always drew a lot of people's attention, even more so then any other figure I had on display. It's one of those HT figures that I intend to keep in my own collection.

The Jump suit version is good too, but I think because of all the black gear he does not look as good as the dry suit one.

Equipmentwise - both figures are loaded as far as HALO & UDT goes. HALO gear - helmet, oxygen mask with air tanks, parachute (unlike BBI, its just a cover, no real parachute inside though), altimeter & strobe light. UDT gear - either dry or jump suit, survival vest, fins, dive mask, rebreather, diving navigation board, dive compass, pressure gauge & waterproof backpack. Weapons - dive knife and either M4 or MP5.

All in all, very impressive list of equipment and both guys look loaded to the top when you put everything on them. There is not much of free space left on them...

Viggo Mortensen figure - this is more or less same figure as their Desert HALO Jumper that you already have. Different helmet and loaded for night operations. It's not a bad figure by all means, but as all night ops - some people like them, some don't. Just keep in mind, the nude is the old Hot Toys one, nowhere near as good as their Truetype nudes...

Alexei

Quote Originally Posted by hqpham View Post
    from pics of PJs that just completed jumps in the ref pic threads...the mounts are taped up or covered up with cardboard...Steve_O will clear this thread up like he has before concerning HALO/HAHO setups..
    OK, "h", I just found this thread, so here I go...

It's entirely possible for Brad McCabe to jump HAHO configured as he is out of the box. At 10,000' AGL (Above Ground Level), I've taken as long as ten minutes to hit the ground. I don't remember the distance traveled, but it was far enough to have exited a bird over a friendly country and fly into a neighboring "bad guy" nation. Also, I've jumped from between 13,500' and 14,000' without O2, it just depends on the aircraft's ability to be pressurized, and the length of time at altitude with the doors open. My caveat here is that I've only jumped in training, no combat jump stars on my wings. Bottom line is that O2 is not needed for all HAHO jumps. IMO, it would have been great to have it included in the set, and would have added to the figure.

As to NVGs, it is possible to jump them in freefall if they are secured with a short length of bungee cord configured so as to keep constant tension on them while flipped up in the stored position or in the flipped down "in use" position. I've never jumped NVGs, but I know that one unit that hangs out behind a certain fence does it regularly, and they are the only ones that I have firsthand knowledge about who do so. Brad's would most likely be lost in the initial blast of wind resistance when he exits the bird.

Hmmm..what about the temperature issue?
    ie: wouldn't Brad be awfully cold on the ride down!?

Hmmm..what about the temperature issue?
    ie: wouldn't Brad be awfully cold on the ride down!?
    Depends on the time of year. Yes, it is cold at 10,000' AGL, and colder as you go higher, but again, if the bird is pressurized (and if it's a USAF plane it is, and the crew is on O2 above 10,000'), the exposure time to the temperature is minimized. Also, that's where the fleece and gloves come in. And you don't know what he has on under that. Yes, the 1:6 figure has nothing, but a 1:1 jumper might have additional layers. Suffice to say, that the ride down from 10 - 15,000' isn't long enough in a reasonable temperature to become an issue. And we can "what if" this to death by proposing that he's jumping into Afghanistan at night in January so he'll need more snivel gear, etc. etc. Just remember that everything is mission dependant.

One thing to consider is the KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle. If you don't need O2, there's no point to adding another layer of support and supply to the operation, which then eliminates the need to cache additional expensive equipment once you hit the ground. Also, once you hit the ground, you might not have the time to remove layers of clothing, and you don't want to hump for long distances with excess clothes making you sweat and use up valuable calories. Therefore, it's best to jump with the minimum equipment possible. So, just suck it up for a couple chilly minutes vs. becoming a heat casualty later in the mission.

Now, for a 1:6 scale bash, hell yeah, load him up within the bounds of reason, but in real life, the KISS principle definitely applies.

I hope this helps.

It does, very much. Another followup if I may.....when we see high-altitude jumpers using modern flight helmets/02 masks, when they hit the ground...they stash that stuff for later retreival...??

And thanks again for the 411 on the figure and why he is the way he is.

It does, very much. Another followup if I may.....when we see high-altitude jumpers using modern flight helmets/02 masks, when they hit the ground...they stash that stuff for later retreival...??

And thanks again for the 411 on the figure and why he is the way he is.
    Again, that's mission dependant. Caching is a legitimate option, but the primary purpose is to not leave a signature for the bad guys to find, not neccessarily to recover the gear later. Let me do some asking of current MFF buddies to find a better answer. There are MFF operations being conducted is support of the GWOT, I just don't have first hand (or verifiable second hand) knowledge of any specific missions.

Cool, thank you. PS: Are these helmets just aviator helmets attatched to compressed O2 canisters or are they specific to the HALO/HAHO mission......

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O. View Post
    OK, "h", I just found this thread, so here I go...

It's entirely possible for Brad McCabe to jump HAHO configured as he is out of the box. At 10,000' AGL (Above Ground Level), I've taken as long as ten minutes to hit the ground. I don't remember the distance traveled, but it was far enough to have exited a bird over a friendly country and fly into a neighboring "bad guy" nation. Also, I've jumped from between 13,500' and 14,000' without O2, it just depends on the aircraft's ability to be pressurized, and the length of time at altitude with the doors open. My caveat here is that I've only jumped in training, no combat jump stars on my wings. Bottom line is that O2 is not needed for all HAHO jumps. IMO, it would have been great to have it included in the set, and would have added to the figure.

As to NVGs, it is possible to jump them in freefall if they are secured with a short length of bungee cord configured so as to keep constant tension on them while flipped up in the stored position or in the flipped down "in use" position. I've never jumped NVGs, but I know that one unit that hangs out behind a certain fence does it regularly, and they are the only ones that I have firsthand knowledge about who do so. Brad's would most likely be lost in the initial blast of wind resistance when he exits the bird.
    I concur with SteveO even though it is not really necessary here. So many things are mission dependent and this will dictate equipment needs and requirements. Most of the equipment that is out now that I see on 1:6th scale figures is way before my time is Spec Ops so i have to do a lot of research to ensure my figure is accurate. I my time we made due with what was in the Army inventory vs. what the private sector companies (BHI, Diamond Back, Eagle, etc.) produces for the soldier under the various PEO programs.

I like to think that (I could be wrong) BBi is the type of 1:6th modeling company that works more from fact (a picture or historical reference) then just throwing something out there.

Cool, thank you. PS: Are these helmets just aviator helmets attatched to compressed O2 canisters or are they specific to the HALO/HAHO mission......
    Those are called GENTEX helmets. So far as I know, they're the same as worn by pilots. If anyone can confirm or deny anything different, I'd be happy to hear.

Thank You!