Product Review 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 34

Thread: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,017

    3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    I just received the 3A HALO Spartan Recruit so i figured i do a quick review.

    There was ALOT of controversy about the previous 3A release, the Master Chief (MC) . Elbow articulation was lacking, hip articulation was non existent, fingers didn't work properly, he couldnt even grasp his weapon. There were so many problems that 3A initiated a refund for the figure if you were unsatisfied with him.

    I took MC apart and found the main reason behind the hip articulation.
    *DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME*

    Why Does 3A's MC have non existent hip articulation ?---- Because he skips leg day.





    The ratchet joint in the hip was too weak. Just look at the photo below. The 2 red arrows are pointing to the only 2 "Teeth" supporting the ratchet joint. They are SO TINY. SO WEAK. You can hardly see them.



    The rubber 1 piece outer - suit was too thick. The suit provided too much resistance the weak ratchet joint coulnt over come this resistance. As a result, every time you lifted his leg, it would automatically come back down. Due to the thickness of the suit, his general leg articulation was non existent. 3A chose aesthetics over function, and this was a disaster waiting to happen.



    MC Literally wears pants. The solution to this was to cut the pants to provide more articulation. Soi sliced open MC's groin, it took alot of courage to do it, as a wrong cut and i would ruin the figure.



    The results were kinda ok.

    Front After modification.



    Back After modification.



    This very dangerous modification will help with the articulation, but it will not solve the weak joint issue. MC will frequently bend over due to his upper body weight and weak hip.

    MC can take a knee after the modification.







    Dont mention the fat fingers which were unable to grasp his weapons, or his bicep armour which was made too big, which restricted elbow articulation.

    3A HALO MC was a HUGE HUGE FAILURE.

    Moving on to the Spartan Recruit. I initially ordered 3 Spartan recruit figures, but i cancelled 1 over fears of another figure disaster on epic proportions similar to MC. Now i regret doing that becuase 3A has improved upon their design where they can and have delivered a solid figure in the Gabriel Thorne/ Spartan Recuit issue.

    I should get to the important part. 3A did the same thing as me, Cut up his groin. But they added a black inner suite to improve the aesthetics even though the rubber suit is slit. This is improved articulation by quite a bit. BUT the root cause of the problem, the weak ratchet joint still remains. You will get better hip articulation than MC, but the issue is still prevalent.



    3A has improved the bicep armour. I think they improved the elbow articulation by over 100%. My hypothesis is that they used a thinner arm inside the rubber suit, so it has more space to bend.

    look at the improvement to the elbow range of movement





    He can hold his pistol.







    He can hold his rifle at the ready.





    He can even melee some aliens.



    And YES THE BIG GUN. Unlike MC, Gabriel . Recruit can use all his weapons.





    He can shoulder it too. BOOM HEADSHOT



    The amazing thing about this release is the number of LED lights there are. SO MANY. TOO MANY TO COUNT. There are all over the place. head, back, legs, arms, torso, chest.







    All the lights are powered by 2 batteries in his back. But the light on the right shoulder is powered by a battery placed in the right shoulder Armour.





    The button is very cleverly hidden by a flap in his rubber suit. You just push down on that area circled in red and he lights up like a Christmas tree.



    The thing i DONT like about the light up effects is.

    1. No batteries provided. You have to buy them yourself.
    2. The battery compartment is VERY inaccessible. You have to remove the entire back portion of his Armour to access the batteries, and its VERY TIGHT. BE VERY CAREFUL when removing the Armour to access the batteries.

    Overall, I would declare this figure as the FLAGSHIP figure of the 3A HALO line up. The tightened joints, improved ( but still lacking) hip articulation, really does make a difference.

    I hope 3A doesnt get discouraged and pumps out the other HALO characters.

  2. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NE Florida
    Posts
    12,734

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    Superb review.

    You need to post this review on their Facebook page.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
    ~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)



  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    599

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    Great review and enjoyed seeing on FB.

    Now to get those HIPS finally sorted LOL

    BTW love the mods advice on MC 117 at the top. May get one after all and apply those mods.

  5. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    Great review and enjoyed seeing on FB.

    Now to get those HIPS finally sorted LOL

    BTW love the mods advice on MC 117 at the top. May get one after all and apply those mods.
    I DONT recommend the mod unless you dont mind the big risks. It was kinda hard to do and, i wish i didnt cut out the hips. The resistance offered by the rubber suit actually keeps MC from bending over and falling.

    Now with the improved articulation, he cant stand straight. just topples over.

    if i dont recommend it, why did i show it you may ask . Well, I did it as a proof of concept to identify that the root cause which was the weak joint, compounded by the stiff 1 piece suit.

    Just leave MC as he is , a pretty looking semi statue.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NE Florida
    Posts
    12,734

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
    ~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)



  8. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,886

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    Quote Originally Posted by General Sam View Post
    I DONT recommend the mod unless you dont mind the big risks. It was kinda hard to do and, i wish i didnt cut out the hips. The resistance offered by the rubber suit actually keeps MC from bending over and falling.

    Now with the improved articulation, he cant stand straight. just topples over.

    if i dont recommend it, why did i show it you may ask . Well, I did it as a proof of concept to identify that the root cause which was the weak joint, compounded by the stiff 1 piece suit.

    Just leave MC as he is , a pretty looking semi statue.
    I appreciate you taking one for the team, buddy. I had cancelled my order for this figure before I found out about the poor articulation. Your post confirms I did the right thing. so thanks for that.

    When is the Spartan Recruit coming out. He seems like that is the one to get.

    Thanks again
    AFM

  9. #7
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    NE Florida
    Posts
    12,734

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    General Sam took a very expensive one for the team.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
    ~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)



  10. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    55

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    Thx Sammy! Mine's on it's way, and good to know it's been improved. Now abt that Bluey!
    Phwoar!!

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,381

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    Thanks for the review General Sam very helpful information

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    Im glad you guys found this review useful.

    I did the MC mod a LONG time ago, but couldnt find the time to upload it.

    I dont see it as "taking 1 for the team" . I was extremely disappointed with my MC. And the way i saw it, might as well take it apart, see whats wrong, and try to fix it myself ?

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    McDonald's
    Posts
    144

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    General Sam, thanks for that review! When I built my H5 Master Chief, I forewent a rubber suit and made a cloth one. I plan on doing a textured paintjob on it to replicate the look in the game. But it made no sense to me to make a figure that could not pose.

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    599

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    WOW Sammy Sorry for the expensive learning curve. Though we all have that on board now and appreciate the info.

    I am wondering if a cloth undersuit with some body transformation/mixing brands would make for a better SPARTAN??

    Hate the idea of a Semi Statue action figure LOL Has to be articulated and the more the merrier points too.

    If I could get a Callous SPARTAN Oh believe me I would lol I Have his Noble SIX helmet and AMAZING work.

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    Quote Originally Posted by pengbuzz View Post
    General Sam, thanks for that review! When I built my H5 Master Chief, I forewent a rubber suit and made a cloth one. I plan on doing a textured paintjob on it to replicate the look in the game. But it made no sense to me to make a figure that could not pose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    WOW Sammy Sorry for the expensive learning curve. Though we all have that on board now and appreciate the info.

    I am wondering if a cloth undersuit with some body transformation/mixing brands would make for a better SPARTAN??

    Hate the idea of a Semi Statue action figure LOL Has to be articulated and the more the merrier points too.

    If I could get a Callous SPARTAN Oh believe me I would lol I Have his Noble SIX helmet and AMAZING work.

    From 3A's perspective, they prioritized aesthetics over functionality. Even for the previous HALO releases such as Emile and Carter, the rubber suit was not thick, textured or one piece.

    For MC, they wanted the suit to closely mimic what was in game. A textured suit. To get the texture, they had to use a thick suit.

    Also to further improve the look, they decided to make as few gaps as possible. They did this by making the under suit in large pieces. There is a shirt upper and a pants piece, thats it for the under suit.

    I have FULLY Disassembled MC. poured glue into the ratchet joint in an attempt to tighten it. tightened the hip screws, added tape to increase friction.

    Also i am waiting for a cloth under suit to arrive so i can wear it below the exisiting rubber suit, and follow the "official 3A" method. That way my MC is not wasted.

    MC went for a shower :




    shitty black body


  16. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    201

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    In the beginning I was kind of sceptical, but it seems you are doing a great job!

  17. #15
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    647

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    Thanks for posting General Sam, I also did some mods to the shoulder pads and lifted them higher, tightened the thigh armor to make them look less fat and repainted the rubber suit and parts of the armor.

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,886

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    Quote Originally Posted by crazydragonclk View Post
    Thanks for posting General Sam, I also did some mods to the shoulder pads and lifted them higher, tightened the thigh armor to make them look less fat and repainted the rubber suit and parts of the armor.
    Would love to see some pictures, my friend.

    AFM

  19. #17
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    647

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    Quote Originally Posted by actionfiguremovies View Post
    Would love to see some pictures, my friend.

    AFM
    I am unable to upload files on OSW it says failed otherwise I would

  20. #18
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    647

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    Ok I got into my old photobucket account. Below is the tutorial of the shoulder armor mod, followed by some repaint and customizations to thigh armor.

    Started customizing him. I didn't like the height of the shoulder armorial as it left his rubber shoulder too exposed. It also stuck out and made him look fatter.

    BEFORE


    AFTER


    STEP BY STEP
    I bought some high end Neodymium Magnets(very strong, this is what 3A should have used) for $6 from the craft store which included 6 of them. Took off the original armor and bent it slightly to loosen the inner plastic plate with magnet on it. Pried off easily with a knife.


    The armor without the plate. Glued on lightly and came off quite easily.Test to ensure the magnet is placed the correct side by sticking it on the actual armor of MC first than take the corresponding side and dab some glue on it and stick it back in place on the shoulder pad armor. I found that the perfect placement and height of my figure would be in the place on the photo. The extra piece I placed away in my loose bin for future use if needed.

  21. #19
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    647

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    Here is the first round where I painted the rubber black and used sharpy with a brush to lightly texture the carbon pattern of the suit.



    I ended up repainting some of the parts black including the mid chest as it had too much sharpy. Photos are int he post below...

  22. #20
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    647

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    Here are photos of the 2nd round where i repainted the suit black and did some thigh mods, it might be hard to tell in the photos due to lighting, however the in person visual appeal is much nicer. parts of his armor have also been painted in with silver to bring more dynamic to the armor.

    Did some painting and mods to MC. Thigh armor was split open and overlapped by a few millimeters to make a smaller Thigh. In person the thighs look way too fat and chunky, owners will know what I mean.I used some glue and black paint+silver sharpy weathering to hide the seam lines, and I am pleased with the outcome. Did a hint of black weathering around the inner forearm armor which helps reduce the bulkiness look. It's a bit hard to tell in person but a definite improvement when looking at him in real life. I use a technique where I take the sharpy and paint the bristles of the brush and run back and forth over whatever I am coloring or weathering.



    Here is a better photo

  23. #21
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    647

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    Quote Originally Posted by actionfiguremovies View Post
    Would love to see some pictures, my friend.

    AFM
    Just posted a video on the mods i did on him.

    https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...mod-video.html

  24. #22
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Posts
    910

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    General Sam,

    Thank you for doing this! I did a review very similar with Carter. Do you have pics of the entire body 3A used? I'm thinking about changing out the body and the rubber suit. I cant have a MC Statue! please post a pic of the entire body if you can.

    Crazydragon,
    Very cool review and video I especially like how you thinned the thigh armor and painted and weathered the weapons.
    “What Do I Feel When I Kill A Terrorist? A Little Recoil”

  25. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    Ok so the black full bodysuit i ordered arrived today, so i could finally fix my MC.

    Step 1
    Do your body modifications, in this case, i applied masking tape to tighten the area, in addition i disassembled the body and tightened the hip screws.



    Step 2
    Cut the sleeves off the body suit.





    Step 3
    Slip on his "shirt"



    Step 4
    Screw back his shoulders and arms.



    Step 5
    Slip on his underwear.

    **** the lower section of his rubber suit is one piece. i cut it up into 3 pieces, his "underwear" , left and right leg portion. I have realized this is unnecessary. just making 2 cuts at his groin is good enough to facilitate increased articulation.



    Step 6
    Replace his chest armour + glue.



    Step 7
    Slip on his legs.



    And the rest is routine

  26. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Oregon, U.S of A
    Posts
    7,944

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review



    Looks like John skips leg day at the gym.



    Thanks for being intrepid and trailblazing a way to a proper Master Chief Sam.
    It's a shame so much work has to be done after spending so much just to get him.
    "Peace through superior firepower".

  27. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    249

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    Quote Originally Posted by General Sam View Post
    I just received the 3A HALO Spartan Recruit so i figured i do a quick review.

    There was ALOT of controversy about the previous 3A release, the Master Chief (MC) . Elbow articulation was lacking, hip articulation was non existent, fingers didn't work properly, he couldnt even grasp his weapon. There were so many problems that 3A initiated a refund for the figure if you were unsatisfied with him.

    I took MC apart and found the main reason behind the hip articulation.
    *DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME*

    Why Does 3A's MC have non existent hip articulation ?---- Because he skips leg day.





    The ratchet joint in the hip was too weak. Just look at the photo below. The 2 red arrows are pointing to the only 2 "Teeth" supporting the ratchet joint. They are SO TINY. SO WEAK. You can hardly see them.



    The rubber 1 piece outer - suit was too thick. The suit provided too much resistance the weak ratchet joint coulnt over come this resistance. As a result, every time you lifted his leg, it would automatically come back down. Due to the thickness of the suit, his general leg articulation was non existent. 3A chose aesthetics over function, and this was a disaster waiting to happen.



    MC Literally wears pants. The solution to this was to cut the pants to provide more articulation. Soi sliced open MC's groin, it took alot of courage to do it, as a wrong cut and i would ruin the figure.



    The results were kinda ok.

    Front After modification.



    Back After modification.



    This very dangerous modification will help with the articulation, but it will not solve the weak joint issue. MC will frequently bend over due to his upper body weight and weak hip.

    MC can take a knee after the modification.







    Dont mention the fat fingers which were unable to grasp his weapons, or his bicep armour which was made too big, which restricted elbow articulation.

    3A HALO MC was a HUGE HUGE FAILURE.

    Moving on to the Spartan Recruit. I initially ordered 3 Spartan recruit figures, but i cancelled 1 over fears of another figure disaster on epic proportions similar to MC. Now i regret doing that becuase 3A has improved upon their design where they can and have delivered a solid figure in the Gabriel Thorne/ Spartan Recuit issue.

    I should get to the important part. 3A did the same thing as me, Cut up his groin. But they added a black inner suite to improve the aesthetics even though the rubber suit is slit. This is improved articulation by quite a bit. BUT the root cause of the problem, the weak ratchet joint still remains. You will get better hip articulation than MC, but the issue is still prevalent.



    3A has improved the bicep armour. I think they improved the elbow articulation by over 100%. My hypothesis is that they used a thinner arm inside the rubber suit, so it has more space to bend.

    look at the improvement to the elbow range of movement





    He can hold his pistol.







    He can hold his rifle at the ready.





    He can even melee some aliens.



    And YES THE BIG GUN. Unlike MC, Gabriel . Recruit can use all his weapons.





    He can shoulder it too. BOOM HEADSHOT



    The amazing thing about this release is the number of LED lights there are. SO MANY. TOO MANY TO COUNT. There are all over the place. head, back, legs, arms, torso, chest.







    All the lights are powered by 2 batteries in his back. But the light on the right shoulder is powered by a battery placed in the right shoulder Armour.





    The button is very cleverly hidden by a flap in his rubber suit. You just push down on that area circled in red and he lights up like a Christmas tree.



    The thing i DONT like about the light up effects is.

    1. No batteries provided. You have to buy them yourself.
    2. The battery compartment is VERY inaccessible. You have to remove the entire back portion of his Armour to access the batteries, and its VERY TIGHT. BE VERY CAREFUL when removing the Armour to access the batteries.

    Overall, I would declare this figure as the FLAGSHIP figure of the 3A HALO line up. The tightened joints, improved ( but still lacking) hip articulation, really does make a difference.

    I hope 3A doesnt get discouraged and pumps out the other HALO characters.
    Hey Genaral Sam, do you,by chance, know whether or not the Gabriel Thorne figure is as improved as the recruit ? Ordered the guy, yet, i have not seen any review on Thorne.
    Last edited by Falcon_Pawch; 02-03-2016 at 09:58.

  28. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    United States of England
    Posts
    1,263

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    Sweet Lord, did you really need to quote the ENTIRE original post, to ask that one simple question?

  29. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,017

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon_Pawch View Post
    Hey Genaral Sam, do you,by chance, know whether or not the Gabriel Thorne figure is as improved as the recruit ? Ordered the guy, yet, i have not seen any review on Thorne.
    The Gabriel Thorne is exactly the same as the recruit . Just different color
    Quote Originally Posted by Silas_Loki View Post
    Sweet Lord, did you really need to quote the ENTIRE original post, to ask that one simple question?
    HAHAHAHHAAH

  30. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Houston Again! Please let me escape soon @[email protected]
    Posts
    8,723

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    Heh I apologize for necro posting but I'm late to the game and just got one of these on a whim (and a good deal) and your post will be super helpful in modding this big boy to something I can play with

    I couldn't tell how to take him apart but your helpful pictures will be my guide. As soon as I figure out how to snap off his feet and head without breaking it too much lol. And the arms! @[email protected]
    Always do your best in everything you do, and live on, happy. - Aya

  31. #29
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Posts
    910

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    Tired of looking at this unposeable figure! I'm changing the body and the undersuit, also cutting the armor down to fit right. I ordered another one to do the same thing good thing is you can find them cheap.
    “What Do I Feel When I Kill A Terrorist? A Little Recoil”

  32. #30
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Posts
    910

    Re: 3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review

    Did anyone else ever do this? I own several now and just came back to the 1/6 world.
    “What Do I Feel When I Kill A Terrorist? A Little Recoil”

Similar Threads

  1. NECA Master Chief
    By Spartan Rex in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-30-2014, 16:29
  2. HALO 1:6 "Master Chief" by callous . . . I own it now . . .
    By DeltaForceChung in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-14-2014, 00:21
  3. ThreeA Halo Reach Spartan MkV Commando Review for CollectionDX
    By Prometheum5 in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-25-2013, 09:16
  4. Kotobukiya Halo3 Master Chief Review
    By Hollowpoint in forum Loose Bits (Off Topic)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-05-2008, 18:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
3A HALO Master Chief Analysis & Spartan Recruit Review
[X]