Advice on how to paint soft vinyl needed.

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Advice on how to paint soft vinyl needed.

Advice on how to paint soft vinyl needed.

I have a SAFS in 1/6 and want to prime and paint. I know to use acrylic. Where can I find a good acrylic paint in spray can form that will not harm the model? Preferably something from a hardware store, as there are no model shops for about 60 miles in any direction from my home! I've seen some Krylon fusion and others at certain stores and auto shops, but I am apprehensive. Pointers pls!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I've painted a number of vinyl kits and have never had a problem using acrylic or water based paints. So have no fear using any paint that is not oil or especially laquer based. It is possible to use enamel based paints on vinyl but the paint doesn't dry well, remaining tacky for a very long time. You don't need to drive anywhere to buy the paint you need just search online for acrylic paint in spray cans. Google, google, google! Let your computer do the driving for you. There are online hobby shops that you can order from, but you'll be limited to those dinky little cans that are over priced to screw hobbiest. Krylon is great, just do your reading (you will always be able to find info about the paint somewhere online) and shop for the best price, a lot of online paint or hardware suppliers offer free shipping and other discounts so again shop around.

Is this your first Ma.K model?

Thanks furious genius. I was hoping to find something at a hardware store in town rather than order online. I don't want to spend too much or wait! Is the Krylon Fusion for plastic okay? There are others in spray form that say they are made for vinyl (interior of car stuff). Do you know if this stuff is okay?

Yeah, it's my first real model, period! I know, it's a big bite right off the bat! The shoulder guards don't fit right, the thigh guards don't fit right... Putty time coming soon! I am honestly a bit overwhelmed!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I wouldn't recommend the fusion on your vinyl. Your other alternative is the Krylon H20 brand paint....IIRC, it's latex paint in a rattle can.

I misunderstood your question, it sounded to me like you were in the middle of nowhere and didn't want to make the 60 mile drive to a store. Your local hardware store is great. I recommend the Krylon too, Galahad, only because I've used it. I'm not familiar with Fusion but if the paint is suitable for vinyl then there shouldn't be a problem. Acrylic paints are made from plastic resin or polyvinyls (many vinyls get that?) and latex is made from rubber both types of paint are water soluable or reducable (lwater acts as the paint thinner). So either of those types of paint (regardless of the manufacturer) are safe for vinyl kits. Just make sure you don't use enamel, oil or laquer based paint. The worst is the laquer based as it can actually dissolve vinyl and other plastics.

If you want to test the paint before you apply the best thing to do is to cut a scrap of vinyl from your kit, you always have a little trimming to do, or you can test the paint on the inside of the hatch piece for instance. Wash the part to be test painted then spray the paint on the scrap. Give it time to dry and then see how it holds up. No need to use a primer on the test piece.

I'll assume you'll use an undercoat or primer coat first, be sure to wash the vinyl parts with soap and water and then dry thoroughly before painting. Those steps make the paint adhere better and gives a better finish. The washing rinses away mold release and any oils from handling.

Hope this helps, good luck with your kit you are going to love it.

Thank you for your help fg. I will check the local hardware stores (we have ACE and Home Depot) for these paints in spray can form. We also have an AutoZone with some Duplicoat stuff that is made for soft vinyl. Duplicoat is a sister company of Krylon. I didn't know that until last night.