Miscellaneous Subject The horrors of cleaning my stuff

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: The horrors of cleaning my stuff

The horrors of cleaning my stuff

The Horrors of Cleaning the Man Cave.

Over the summer I decided I would dust, clean out and check for critters (bugs, lizards and mice) in my hobby room, the man cave or as my wife and daughter call it the dolly room.

My room isn’t that big, about 9” x 16” with a workbench on one end and industrial shelves along both sides. It is sealed off on one side of my garage, still being able to park two cars in the garage. But must of my stuff is on display along with a light coat of dust. So I knew I could not do it all in a day or two, so one by one I took my vehicles outside to dust them off during the late summer and winter season.

After cleaning most of my vehicles,

WW II Americans-3 Stuarts, 3 jeeps, Scout Car, 2 dodge command cars, 1 dodge cargo truck, 1 motorcycle all loaded with gear and crews and a bunch of loose figures.

WW II Germans- Panzer III, Panzer II, Flak halftrack, 2 sdkfz 250 halftracks, 2 kettenrads, 5 kubelwagens, 6 motorcycles w/sidecars, 2 motorcycles, 3 trucks, 5 flak guns, 1 howitzer, 4 antitank guns all with crews and gear, and a large amount of loose figures.

WW II Italians- 1 truck, 1 motorcycle, 1 anti tank gun and a bunch of figures.

WW II British, about 20 figures

Vietnam ears American- 1 helicopter, 2 jeeps, about 20 figures

And a crap load of other stuff.

I discovered my two rubber legged figures that I had in shorts and them had seated in my half-track their joints busted through the rubber knees. Lesson learned keep those legs straight until a photo shoot.

When I slided sideways and moved one of my sdkfz 250 halftracks off the shelf the edges of three road wheels shattered and lost small pieces of the edges. Fortunately they were on the inside set and the damage though light cannot be seen.

Some things I had glued on vehicles popped off or broke off during transit from my hobby room to outs where I was dusting them off. Even sent some pieces into orbit well cleaning. I was lucky and found all the pieces and glued them back were they went. Elastic straps were replaced since they lost their strength with cloth straps.

The best part was I learned were I had put almost everything, also that I found no evidence of mice, lizards, snakes and just a few bugs. No spider webs or anything like that. No sagging tires, that look like they might be going flat. Rearranged everything to make my room for more stuff of course. Just will have to keep a better eye on things in the future.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: The horrors of cleaning my stuff

Cleaning. Wow, never occurred to me. Who knows what's under the rubble? The fact that you made more room was inspiring, though.
    Mark
    "Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way!"
    http://openrange.freeforums.org/

Quote Originally Posted by markh166 View Post
    Cleaning. Wow, never occurred to me.
    Yeah, what an odd concept?

Now, I don't have any vehicles, but a fair number of figures, and I see dust as "natural weathering". Might have to need to move them to an attic in some old abandoned house though to really get that worn feeling.

Or perhaps I should try paint to make weathering?

Nah, sounds like work. An attic it is.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My 60 some odd vehicles have only rarely been cleaned. Some never, in 15 years of collecting. No critters so far.

In the odd case of making room or selling stuff, I will give a "lick and promise" dusting and, of course, if I see something broken.

Good to know the tip about kneeling or sitting figs. I do have some as crew, or sitting on a shelf edge, having been sitting for years.

Cleaning is not my forte.

Charlie
    "I just ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work" - Oddball to Big Joe

Send it to me and I'll clean it all for you

You don't always know where you stand until you know that you won't run away

My little lot are getting dusty, but, my view is that it acts as a preservative. Most of my collection is in front of a window, if I kept them all pristine there's a chance that they could fade in the light. Surely a nice layer of dust would protect them from that!?

The natural weathering is a great concept too. I'll soon be reproducing this:

with this:

What better way to do dust and cobwebs than to use the actual thing!? All I need to do is stick my hand down the back of my radiator.

CHEERS!

Al lot of my old Dragon figures have "natural weathering." Other than the elastic quitting, or paint/rubber arms getting tacky it works pretty well!

I just cleaned up my room & found two pairs of pliers!

As for dust, My Aunt Irene used to say: It's clean dust!

All my collection is in plastic bags, in plastic containers. They are rotated from the garage to my "office" (80 at a time.) Vehicles are in cardboard boxes.
    Bugs? I throw a bug bomb once or twice a year in the garage.
    (I pretend I am clearing a room of bad guys)

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    You are.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    All my collection is in plastic bags, in plastic containers. They are rotated from the garage to my "office" (80 at a time.) Vehicles are in cardboard boxes.
    Bugs? I throw a bug bomb once or twice a year in the garage.
    But... A bug bomb? Isn't clearing bugs done by finding them with electronic equipment? You know, stuff that can pick up their transmitter signals?

Yes, Rogerbee.....exellent Idea.
    It works. The Cobwebs in my " There is no Honor between Thiefs " Thread are real Ones, Thanks to the Spiders

Quote Originally Posted by 88Reaper88 View Post
    Send it to me and I'll clean it all for you
    Sorry but that's not going to happen

Ask the dust
    What you must
    But ain't it a fact
    That life is never just

dust is the main reason I don't display most of my stuff. And I keep lots of figures I like inside a glass display shelf, unfortunately both glass doors have tiny seem openings and light dust gets in there.

Any figures I display outside the glass shelf have to be of solid plastic with not lots of details (small accessory pieces, weapons, hilts etc) and/or only have little fabric clothing showing like ZMDC, Stormtroopers, droids, etc (also with no small accessory pieces, weapons, hilts etc).

Cause its nothing worst dusting fabric clothes and figures with small accessories that get lost or damaged the cleaning process.
    But hadn't had any bugs

I have a BIG clean every six months or so.....I'm a 1/35 scale armour modeller in my very rare spare time....so....I use my Iwata airbrush to clean off the dust .....outside in the garden is the best option....one thing I noticed a long time back is never leave figures displayed in direct sunlight....the field grey uniforms on the Germans discolour pretty fast.
    Chelseaboy

I never clean mine, it's all part of the weathering process

Pictures!