Civilians any ideas on great Barbie (female) heads?

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: any ideas on great Barbie (female) heads?

Red face any ideas on great Barbie (female) heads?

i need ideas on what barbie or similar female heads are good enough for regular 1/6 if at all, and or what heads of any brand to buy... i was thinking i might get a Crimson head from SMCG, or something barbie that could be repainted, and have it's hair styled to look amazing. i have seen different FR heads that are amazing, and better than many other 1/6 heads, even those made by brands like Flirty girl, and ZcGirl. also need heads that work with a conical neck peg. so does anyone have an idea as to what heads are best, specifically the barbie ones? as i said, the FGC Crimson head is on my radar, but open to ideas!

thank you for any help! also please no negative comments, i am really just needing a few female Caucasian heads and an Asian head!

Last edited by CobraTrooper11; 02-12-2015 at 22:23.
    Hail Cobra!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: any ideas on great Barbie (female) heads?

Quote Originally Posted by CobraTrooper11 View Post
    i need ideas on what barbie or similar female heads are good enough for regular 1/6 if at all, and or what heads of any brand to buy... i was thinking i might get a Crimson head from SMCG, or something barbie that could be repainted, and have it's hair styled to look amazing. i have seen different FR heads that are amazing, and better than many other 1/6 heads, even those made by brands like Flirty girl, and ZcGirl. also need heads that work with a conical neck peg. so does anyone have an idea as to what heads are best, specifically the barbie ones? as i said, the FGC Crimson head is on my radar, but open to ideas!

thank you for any help! also please no negative comments, i am really just needing a few female Caucasian heads and an Asian head!

--

Why Barbie heads?

Seriously.

Why?

The down side to Barbie heads is that most will not necessarily fit flush/proper with majority of 1:6 female bodies nowadays due to the head's neck opening on the Barbie head unless you're willing to do some custom/modification work.

The more elegant/regal Barbie heads in higher priced Barbie collector dolls tend to be more desirable by some collectors/customizers, but then matching skin tone tends to be an issue.

Fashion Royalty doll heads are very exquisite and I've seen some great custom 1:6 female figures over the years utilizing Fashion Royalty heads.

I recommend perusing around SMcG Customs site and view the available selection of 1:6 female heads that is compatible with most female bodies available, but that also depends on which bodies you currently have.

Personally speaking, I'd say take the time to do the research yourself and enjoy what you discover and find yourself. That is part of the enjoyment and fun aspect that many other collectors have taken over the years.

What one collector may like/recommend may not be for you based on your personal preferences.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
    ~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

DFC thanks for the insight! it maye take some time to find good heads!
    Hail Cobra!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm totally with DFC on pretty much all the point he made. I've seen some Barbie heads that have been done well too, but they would definitely take a bit of customizing to get to fit, and matching color is an issue. I've used a few years ago, when the options for female heads were severely limited. I was pretty much Cy-girls and... No, pretty much just Cy girls. At the time, Barbie heads looked as good as anything else I was seeing, and had a lot more options available.

Now, we're seeing tons of great stuff out there, and it really is all about narrowing it down to what you like. I've been trying to find something myself that's less stylized than something like 3A, but less realistic than all the Hot Toys/Phicen stuff, and have really been liking what I'm seeing from Original Effect. So it's really a matter of just finding what you like.

I suggest just looking at tons of figures (that's what we're all on this board to do anyway, right?) and anytime you see something you dig, make a note of what they used. You'll have some favorites in no time.

andy-b- Unregistered Guest

I have a few favourites, most of which you've probably seen, Cobra.

Of the ones I own that haven't had a great deal of sculpting/painting/rerooting work done, heres what I would recommend that might be easily available without too much of a $$$ lay out

DiD Sophie - new release, got her in yesterday. Really nice in hand.
    Triad Rose - also available as Iris and Natasha as blondes, but its the same head.
    Worldbox Jolie head - LOVE this one, accurate rendition of Brad's wife.
    Playtoy Cameron
    Sideshow Harley Quinn/Baroness
    The two new ones by Verycool

Harder to find, but worth looking for IMO

Triad Amber/Raven
    Triad pink bikini Jolie esque head
    Triad Vanity
    BBI Goth girls heads
    Flirty Girl Emerson/Ninja
    Phicen Red Riding Hood

Some others I can think of are beautiful sculpts too, but need a little work to make them come out.

In terms of Barbie/FR heads, I have only the Jason WU special Giselle, and the flight attendant Kyori. Both are simply gorgeous. Stylised in a similar way to the early Original effect heads. Pricey though.

check out my flicker site for great female heads. No, not selling them but can be a reference when hitting EvilBay for some choice ones. Fashion Royalty has the most fantastic heads and the best butt kicking expressions
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/101759...7644779698634/
    EXAMPLES...
    Picture 003 by madeboxer, on Flickr
    Bond Girl Barbie I am using as Sofia, Queen of Louisiana by madeboxer, on Flickr
    Hard Rock Barbie by madeboxer, on Flickr
    Simi up close by madeboxer, on Flickr
    adele1 by madeboxer, on Flickr
    DOLLS 022412 097 by madeboxer, on Flickr
    DOLLS 012612 045 by madeboxer, on Flickr
    DOLLS 012612 016 by madeboxer, on Flickr
    DOLLS 012612 006 by madeboxer, on Flickr