definition of a diorama

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: definition of a diorama

definition of a diorama

Hey everybody, I was just going over the WoH contest rules again and began to wonder about the definition of a diorama. Do you all remember Laughing Gravy's German "mud" wagon from I think, last year. That was definately a diorama (well done to boot).

Well, here's my question--do you folks remember my HALO Pilot under a full inflated ram air canopy? I have something similar in mind for this year, but I'm not sure if a single figure under a parachute or something like that one would be considered a single figure or a diorama.

What do you folks think?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That was an awesome figure.Do you want it to be considered a figure or a dio?If you want to make it a dio,why not make a small base of whatever terrain he's landing in?

i can't speak for WOH, and i doubt they will answer (let's face it, they are too busy getting ready to even remove Monkey Depot's name from the Contest Entry form), but i was told a couple years ago by a judge and John L both: the categories are whatever you want them to be.

When i asked if a Fantasy Dwarf Cleric figure would go into "WWII and Before" or "Post WWII", i was told "put it in either one. It doesn't really matter, if the judges like it, they like it."

So, enter it in the Dio section, if you think you can score well against Dio's. Enter it in the Post WWII section if you want it rated against single figures. If the judges like it, no matter which section it is in, it will win.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

As I was told by a judge at a model contest in San Antonio, a diorama depicts movement without actually moving the subject around (in or on the base).

Websters definition:
    1: a scenic representation in which a partly translucent painting is seen from a distance through an opening

2 a: a scenic representation in which sculptured figures and lifelike details are displayed usually in miniature so as to blend indistinguishably with a realistic painted background

b: a life-size exhibit (as of a wildlife specimen or scene) with realistic natural surroundings and a painted background

I say put him where you feel he will bring the best results as graeylin said. Good luck bud.
    OH-58C Crew Chief 89' to 92' C Troop 1-7 Cavalry...Desert Storm Vet

Sounds resonable, thanks everybody