Product Review Phicen v5.1 Base Body Photo Review (PHOTO HEAVY)

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Phicen v5.1 Base Body Photo Review (PHOTO HEAVY)

Phicen v5.1 Base Body Photo Review (PHOTO HEAVY)

Got my latest Phicen bodies in the mail the other day. They're my first stainless-steel skeleton bodies, which I find I love and hate in equal measure. As always, you can get full size versions by clicking any image, or by visiting the full Flickr album here, which also has a few alternate photos not included here.

I call this round of bodies (the S07, S08, and S09 models) the "version 5.1" body to distinguish it from the earlier v5/stainless steel releases, due to some changes in the sculpting that distinguish it from the earlier medium- and large-busted figures (or so I'm told). The exact feature that distinguishes these figures from the last ones is also not something that can be shared in polite company, but if you REALLY want to know, you can hit the thread in the Mature Content section (but I'm warning you now the images are very NSFW).

Phicen v4 vs. v5.1 Body Comparison by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

On the left is the Phicen v4 large-bust body in "special edition/Hot Toys tan" skin tone with the not-Halle-Berry headsculpt. On the right is the Phicen v5.1 large-bust body (stainless steel skeleton) in "suntan" skin tone, which is slightly lighter than what they used to call Hot Toys tan.

Right out of the box, the v5.x body isn't winning me over because of the completely useless, floppy perma-heeled feet. If I wanted female action figures that can't stand on their own two feet, I'd be collecting Barbies. It's enough of a dealbreaker that I'm not planning on getting any more of these bodies until they fix the feet, despite the overwhelming advantages in articulation and ease of posing.

Phicen includes the stand with the figure, and it comes with 2 removable clips: one "double-U" crotch support (seen here) and one "C" support (which will come later). I recommend the "C" support -- this one seems to have left a small mark on the figure's backside, which is why the stand switches to the "C" support in a few shots.

Upper-torso comparison. I didn't notice that the v5.1 was standing slightly crooked, but you can still see there's a bit more slope to her shoulders than before. The "swimmer's shoulders" turned a few people off from the earlier Phicen bodies, though it never bothered me.

This v5 release also comes pre-blushed to emphasize some of the sculpting on the body.

Torso comparison. There's some differences in the overall shape, but the new body isn't smaller than the older one.

Close-shot of just the v5.1 body. Also adjusted the lights and the exposure to show the blushing on the body a bit better.

One other thing to note are the catch lights in her eyes. Phicen used a glossier paint or a sealer on the eyes, so they look more realistic. Earlier eyes had catch lights painted on, but these eyes are glossy enough to produce realistic-looking catch lights all on their own.

If you zoom in you can see the fine skin texture work and the nice job they did on her lips and teeth. The highlights in her hair are another nice touch, which they did before with the not-Angelina-Jolie sculpt on the v4 tan large-bust figure.

I wasn't sure if I'd like the headsculpt, but I think most of the photos of her didn't do her justice.

Shot of the v4 body under the same lighting as the last shot of the v5.1. You can easily see the difference that the paint job on the body makes.

Profile comparison. The large-bust figures could look artificially inflated. Honestly, I think the v5.1 large-bust body does, too, but I think there's a slightly more natural slope and hang.

Neck-post comparison. The v4 neck is a peg, which can sometimes pull out of the socket when trying to remove heads with smaller neck sockets. The v5.1 body neck peg seems to be much more solidly attached to the body.

Switching headsculpts for skin tone comparisons and to show what happens with older Phicen heads on these new bodies. There is a small difference between the "special edition" skin tone and the "suntan" skin tone, but it's not huge and you can mask it a lot depending on lighting.

The newer body has a longer neck, which is accentuated by the more sloped shoulders. This older head has a pretty visible giraffe neck. The newer head fits just fine on the older body, though.

Popped my usual Hot Toys headsculpt to compare skin tones. The Jessica Biel Abigail Whistler sculpt matched the older "special edition" skin tone figures perfectly, and I think it matches this figure well enough, too.

One thing to note: the v5.1 neck peg is rather long. Jessica Biel always sat well on Phicen neck pegs starting with the v3 bodies, but now there's a small gap. It's only really visible if you lift the head up and shoot from below, but it can pop up (sometimes even with Phicen headsculpts).

Phicen v5.1 Pale Large Bust Headsculpt by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

Portrait shot of the v5.1 pale large-bust headsculpt, which is another one where I don't think many of the photos of it do it justice. Zooming in will show the same nice skin texture work, although it also reveals that I shot with way too little depth of field.

Phicen v5.1 Pale Large Bust Skin Tone Check by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

A Fire Red Rose sculpt on the pale v5.1 body. Admittedly, this headsculpt didn't exactly match the pale body it shipped with, but it's no worse on this body, and I'd expect other pale skintone sculpts will work fine with these new bodies as well.

Like the neck peg, the wrist pegs are also stainless steel, and they don't feel like they'll come loose the way some wrist pegs would on the older bodies.

A lot of the recent Phicen releases (like Little Red Riding Hood) have also come with more delicately-sculpted hands. Here's a close-up look at one of them. It's very, very subtle, but in addition to the sculpted wrinkles at the knuckle joints, the fingernails are painted in a slightly different and slightly glossier color.

New v5.1 hand on the left, v4 hand on the right. Pretty big difference.

Arm articulation comparison. Both figures are standing on stands, and I tried getting them at the same height as much as possible. Even so, it's pretty clear to see that the elbow joint on the new body is lower than the older one, and the unnatural bend in the elbow starts almost immediately.

90-degree bend. I think the older body looks far more natural than the new one.

On the other hand, I absolutely can't dispute that the new body is way more flexible than the old one. This shot compares the maximum elbow bend you can achieve with the new body vs. the old one. You can also see how the newer body doesn't get that weird wrinkle in it like the older body does.

Also, the new body doesn't "ratchet" the way the old one does. All the joints move perfectly smoothly and stay in place all on their own. I suspect the thinner arms help the body hold positions, but I'd take small ratchets if it meant a more substantial arm and a more natural elbow bend.

Phicen also re-sculpted the shoulder joint. Doing "arms raised" poses always showed significant skin bunching. That bunching is down to a wrinkle in the v5.x body.

There's simply no contest in the hip articulation. This is as far as I was willing to get this v4 body leg upward. I think there's one more "click" in her to get just over a 90-degree bend in the hip, but this figure's hip joint wasn't clicking and I didn't want to push it.

On the other hand, the v5.1 can do high kicks and hold her leg there, no problem at all.

Phicen v5.1 Posing Tests by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

Surprisingly, the new 5.x body can't quite make it to a full split the same way older Phicen bodies could as far back as the v2 body.

The front/back split works fine, though. Note the floppy left foot, too. The skeleton ends halfway down the foot, and there's very little under there. It means that even if you can find shoes that fit the steep slope of the foot, these figures still can't stand up on their own without a LOT of work.

Not a surprise that the yoga Natarajasana (Lord of the Dance) Pose is easy with this body.

The difference is that the v2 Phicens could do this freestanding (though a broader boot foot makes it easier to do than a bare foot). Have I mentioned how completely, annoyingly useless the feet on these figures are? I don't think I've quite emphasized that enough.

Impressively, this body is better than most female jointed bodies at taking a cross-legged pose. It was easy as pie to get her in this position.

Other contortions aren't that hard, either. Notice the gap that's opened up in her neck, though.

Shooting poses are a lot easier with this body, too. You could fake a Weaver stance on the older bodies, but this one can look much better doing it. Other than the inability to stand up on her own, of course.

The "James Bond" pose is really easy to do, too.

Older Phicens didn't do amazingly well with rifle-shooting poses. Depending on the rifle, some were better than others (here's a v2 shooting an M4, though not well, and here's a different v2 shooting a bullpup L85 tanker carbine).

The v5.x bodies can pose like they're shooting a rifle as well as any male jointed body. The only disadvantage out of the box is that the hands are a little soft and don't hold the rifle all that well.

Front-view. I think this might be the first Phicen I've ever managed to get sighting down the rifle properly.

Ready posture.

Overall, I'm really amazingly impressed at the engineering in this new body. It is everything that everyone claims it is. Now all Phicen has to do is improve the elbow bend to make it look more natural and fix that stupid, worthless foot and they'll have me won over completely. Until then, though, I'm not planning on getting any of these nude, and I'm going to have to look really really hard to decide if I'm getting any of the boxed sets that are using this base body.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Somewhere between sturgis & warehouse 13 SD

Re: Phicen v5.1 Base Body Photo Review (PHOTO HEAVY)

Thank You for the great review! Your Phicen S09 really looks amazing & is very tempting but unfortunately I really have no use for a bikini model in 1/6 scale, in 1/1 scale well that would be a different story. I'll stay with the V4 for now so they can wear their knee high boots. I do have a Phicen S06 head sculpt that I think looks really looks amazing but its on a Phicen V3 tan body recommended by SMcG. If Phicen starts to make knee high boots for their stainless-steel skeleton bodies & they can stand on there own I might reconsider? Although I'm very tempted with the SHI figure.

Great review, thanks!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

One thing it looks like you may not have caught is that the shoulders are articulated to allow raising and lowering -- shrugging -- so if you don't like the "sloped shoulder" look, you can change it.

Also, with boots that are snug at the calves, the steel-frame gals can stand just fine. If you're not posing them barefoot, I don't see why the feet should be a deal-breaker.
    --

Jonathan Andrew Sheen

http://www.leviathanstudios.com
    Leviathan of the GEI (Detached.)
    [email protected]

"What'dya expect? I'm a New Yorker!"
    -Anonymous New York Firefighter, 9/12/01

Clau is offline Collection is overflowing

Great work on the review.

I have a 5.0 and prefer it despite a few shortcomings, the articulation makes up for it and is the best among all seamless body. The older phicens and hot stuffs I have are stiff and very limited in movement (without risking any breakage).

going to order this body today when I get home. I plan on getting the Pale and the tan version. love the bodies glad I quit buying those other versions because all I would end up doing was breaking them. hopefully they will revisit halle with a ss body and I would be all over that.

Fantastic review Edwick, thank you.

I am with you on the feet issue, and I must admit the bustiness of these latest versions puts me off. I like the latest shoulder shape though although the new elbow shape is a bit of a backward step. I am not really sold on any of the head sculpts on the steel ones either. Bit of a curates egg these latest versions, I just want that not-Halle with a steel skeleton and a few shades darker skin tone to replace the body on my Shannon figure please please pretty please Phicen !!?

Well compare to the Edation hot stuff body i must say that the Phicen v5.1 Base Body dont come 100% close. Very close but as the feet is useless it looses a bit.

Here is my hot stuff body:

Nude pic:

Headsculpt is the Chieko head from Kumik and as you can se she stands unsupported easily
    To me the Edation Hot stuff body is the best so far but that may change anytime.

One is bigger than 1/6 scale, but that does'nt matter !

MEHall, I don't agree with you.

I own both the Hot Stuff V1, V2 and the Phicen S09.
    Phicen's current offering is much more professional and refined than the HS. While I do still like HS's body proportion, those wired hands just don't work for me and the articulation is inferior compare to the current Phicen bodies. Not to mention that my HS V1 has 2 broken joints already and the rubber has started to tear at a few spots, and I don't even play it that much. HS still feels fragile and prone to easy damage.

For those who are curious, this is what the current Phicen looks like underneath the skin (not my picture, credit goes to gn825053 of FHC)

original thread here

PHICEN ???? ???? - ???? - FHC????? - Powered by Discuz!

Edwick, thank you, this thread and its NSFW extension are an effective, intelligent, well put together post that really provides useful information, especially in an area that's easy to get lost in, the nuances of Phicen generational progress.

Much thanks also to davehammer for the pics and link to the underlying steel skeleton. Does anyone know what version of the skeleton is shown in those pics?

I encourage everyone to click through on davehammer's link, as that thread actually shows 25 pictures of the steel skeleton, in various poses. To me this is more than just interesting to look at. It is also very useful in a practical way, since I find that it helps a lot when you're posing the bodies if you can visualize what the steel skeleton is doing (or can't do) underneath. But am I the only one who was a bit disappointed because I really wanted it to look just like a Terminator ?

Good review, edwick. And nice link davehammer. The skeleton looks very much like the armatures used in stop-motion animation. A few years back I looked into a company that sells the armature components (can't remember the name), but it was too cost prohibitive at the time. Now if Phicen could just figure out a way to extend the foot, and make that flexible, too...

Well so far i only have an early version of the phicen and that body wont hold any pose with the forearms. I can agree that the Hot stuff body have difficults holding things but i did'nt buy the body for that reason. If i want a body for action purpose i buy a different kind then.
    Phicen hands are pretty good when it comes to making action poses with weapons but i would prefer if Phicen had a body alternative with the old feet instead. Nothing bad said about how the body looks though. The Hot stuff looks equally as good but the time will tell if the body will hold up.
    BTW can the writs pin twist as the real wrists do?

Last edited by MEHall; 01-25-2015 at 07:35.
    One is bigger than 1/6 scale, but that does'nt matter !

Quote Originally Posted by Leviathan View Post
    One thing it looks like you may not have caught is that the shoulders are articulated to allow raising and lowering -- shrugging -- so if you don't like the "sloped shoulder" look, you can change it.

Also, with boots that are snug at the calves, the steel-frame gals can stand just fine. If you're not posing them barefoot, I don't see why the feet should be a deal-breaker.
    Thanks for pointing out the shrugging articulation -- I did a few more shots to show that:

Works just as you'd expect it -- you can also see the little metal rod that makes this possible in the skeleton shots above.

I know you can use tall boots or stuff the feet into shoes with ankle support to get these figures free-standing. I just don't like the fact that this is now a requirement.

While I was shooting the shoulder joint, I also took some shots of the new hand sculpts that Phicen has been shipping with all (?) the 5.x figures.

Phicen v5.x Hands by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

These are the new trigger hands. The older hands used to be symmetrical, but the newer ones aren't. I think some poses will look better shooting lefty as a result.

Phicen v5.x Hands by edwicks_toybox, on Flickr

Thankfully, the "smoking hand/flared hand" pair that Phicen used since forever have been replaced with far more useful "gripping" hands.

Quote Originally Posted by MEHall View Post
    Well so far i only have an early version of the phicen and that body wont hold any pose with the forearms. I can agree that the Hot stuff body have difficults holding things but i did'nt buy the body for that reason. If i want a body for action purpose i buy a different kind then.
    Phicen hands are pretty good when it comes to making action poses with weapons but i would prefer if Phicen had a body alternative with the old feet instead. Nothing bad said about how the body looks though. The Hot stuff looks equally as good but the time will tell if the body will hold up.
    BTW can the writs pin twist as the real wrists do?
    I can say for sure that the skeleton in this latest iteration of the Phicen body has very little in common with any version before it. The tendency of those older bodies to lose a bit of "ratchet" in some joints (mostly the elbow and upper arm/bicep, in my experience) looks like it's gone because there are no ratchets in this body.

The wrist pins don't twist, but the hands do. I find it can look a little odd in some positions, though.

Quote Originally Posted by davehammer View Post
    MEHall, I don't agree with you.

I own both the Hot Stuff V1, V2 and the Phicen S09.
    Phicen's current offering is much more professional and refined than the HS. While I do still like HS's body proportion, those wired hands just don't work for me and the articulation is inferior compare to the current Phicen bodies. Not to mention that my HS V1 has 2 broken joints already and the rubber has started to tear at a few spots, and I don't even play it that much. HS still feels fragile and prone to easy damage.

For those who are curious, this is what the current Phicen looks like underneath the skin (not my picture, credit goes to gn825053 of FHC)

original thread here

PHICEN ???? ???? - ???? - FHC????? - Powered by Discuz!
    Totally agreed with you. My HS v1 just teared apart on the VAGINA area as I tried to do split... =.=ll And I barely touch the figure as I left my figure at my hometown, I only touch it every 5-6months... Just bought a RedRidingHood from Phicen, can't wait to see it!

This was my very first ever phicen body (i was a staunch non-seamless guy) but i'm now considering changing everything over to seamless. I love the weight of the figure, the ease of pose, the rigidness to the pose....
    My only downer is the fear of clothing stains and that some items can be a bit tricky to put on over the rubbery skin, but in all...i'm a new convert

Quote Originally Posted by Anthobuzz View Post
    This was my very first ever phicen body (i was a staunch non-seamless guy) but i'm now considering changing everything over to seamless. I love the weight of the figure, the ease of pose, the rigidness to the pose....
    My only downer is the fear of clothing stains and that some items can be a bit tricky to put on over the rubbery skin, but in all...i'm a new convert
    Welcome.

First of all, awesome review. You hit a LOT of points! I currently have three of these bodies. The way to get around the feet floppy feet issue is the type of shoes that you buy. I found that military combat boots work perfectly with helping them stand on their own without the stand: