Modern War (1990s to Present) Donetsk People's Republic militia member, Donetsk International October, 2014

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Donetsk People's Republic militia member, Donetsk International October, 2014

Donetsk People's Republic militia member, Donetsk International October, 2014

Hello all. I have our DPR member as seen from my last post: and now depicted in October fighting at Donetsk International Airport. The airport has been the scene of the worst and most intense fighting of the conflict so far. Before I get started I'd like to share this picture:

The caption said that this was a Pro-Russian militant. Look at that rifle and his gear! He's very very well armed for just being a militant. Anyways, thanks for looking! Comments and criticism is always appreciated!

Donetsk Sergey Prokofiev International Airport

The Donetsk International airport is located 10 miles NW of Donetsk, and is named after composer Sergey Prokofiev, a native of Donetsk. It has been built and renovated several times over the last 70 years. Most recently, in 2012, the airport received a very large upgrade in preparation for the Euro 2012 Football Cup. Location and the pre-war airport is shown below:

Fighting

In November 2013 the Maidan protests in Kiev began, although operations at the airport continued. After Petro Poroshenko was elected to the presidency in May, fighters of the pro-Russia group "Vostok Battalion" attacked the airport. This first battle destroyed a large amount of the airport.

On 5 September 2014 a ceasefire agreement was recognized by both sides of the conflict. Though, no one seemed to care at Donetsk International Airport as both sides have accused the other of violating the ceasefire, to which the accuser returns fire. In late September 2014 large scale fighting resumed, and continues to this very moment.

A small portion of the runway as seen on Google Maps Satellite view:

The fighting is currently some of the fiercest in any of the current hot spots and contested areas in the country. Both sides have also claimed to control the majority of the airport. Though, most recently the terminal has been fiercely defended by pro-Ukrainian and Ukrainian military units while the surrounding areas are said to be controlled by pro-Russia militia members.

As the weather gets colder the battle begins to resemble Stalingrad, in that the battle is fought in very tight areas, and in the skeletons of buildings.

Here, pro-Russia fighters move near the wreckage of an aircraft at Donetsk International (October, 2014)

Figure

This is the same figure from my previous post. The reference pics remain the same since all I did was weather the figure. He is not a member of the Vostok Battalion, as they have only recently redeployed themselves near the airport to assist friendly units. This is a member of the DPR (Donetsk People's Republic) militia sent to the airport in late September when fighting broke out again. The figure is meant to depict several weeks of fighting, and has sleeves down for the cool October weather. Actual weather in Donetsk for October this year fluctuated between low 50s at the beginning of the month to upper 50s and 60s toward the middle. October ended with temps in the lower 30s, 40s and mid to upper 50s (my kind of weather). I doubt this will be the last time we see our DPR militia member.

Loved working on this figure again, and the research is always fun for me. Thank you for viewing, and I hope everyone has a Happy (and safe) Thanksgiving!
    Peace sells, but who's buyin'?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Donetsk People's Republic militia member, Donetsk International October, 201

Apologies for the double post. Look at my updated version of this post!

Victorville, CA. Yeh, the middle of no where.

Re: Donetsk People's Republic militia member, Donetsk International October, 201

Excellent work!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thank you!

I like the weathering on the mags as well as the uniform.
    Sometimes it takes a good fall to really know where you stand. - Hayley Williams

Good job! Thanks for sharing.

Thumbs up Re: Donetsk People's Republic militia member, Donetsk International October, 201

Great work, looks just like on the pictures

Thanks guys.