Albert Ross 7 days after D-Day

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Albert Ross 7 days after D-Day

Albert Ross 7 days after D-Day

Hi,

This is my 4th kitbash based on the DiD Albert Ross figure, with this figure i wanted to make him look like he has been in France for about 7 days.
    The uniform has had some wear added to it by the use of some sandpaper.
    It has also had the PVA mix added to it, plus some grout and weathering powders to add both dirt and to highlight the tops of the uniform creases.

If i may i have a page here to show how i have made this figure, along with the parts i have used.

Gary

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

wow great work especially the helmet!
    ''They're pretty. Real pretty. But can they fight?''

WOW...YEAH the Head and the Helmet are the eyecatchers. BTW what/where to get that Helmet Net...need something like that for an upcoming project.
    For what its worth!?

My Trade Feedback

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Very Cool! Very nice paint job on the head sculpt and good job on weathering the uniform.

I really am fond of that Ross figure and you have done it tremendous justice. Nice work.
    "...peace is the highest aspiration of the American People. We will negotiate for it, sacrifice for it, we will never surrender for it, now or ever."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan January 20, 1981

Great work...you've made a very good figure even better.

I just wanted to compliment not only this excellent figure but your site overall. It is simply fantastic and really shows a commitment to sharing your tips and techniques with fellow modelers/collectors. I've picked up a lot of great tips and just wanted to say thank you.

One thing specific to Ross, any thoughts on that collar and ways of getting it to lay down. That's one thing that bugs me about this version of the M42.
    Craig659

Great work!

Hi to all,

Many thanks to everyone for the replies and if i can answer some of your questions here.

SSG Felder - The helmet net i believe is from Dragon and was in my spares box which had been sitting around for ages, and for this kitbash i took it off the Dragon helmet and wrapped the DiD helmet in it. I also used some of the Dragon scrim on it, which was brushed over with some Tamiya weathering powders (Brown, Black and Sand) to add some variety of colours to it.
    I have another page i made regarding helmets and netting - http://johkaz.byethost10.com/helmet.html

Craig659 - The website has seemed to have grown, through the excellent help that i have recieved from a lot of fellow modellers. And in the process i too have improved my figures and how i put them together. What i have found over the last almost two years with it, is that there is a heck of a lot of very skilled modellers out there who have never had the chance to pass on how they make their models.

And from the contact and very kind help i have had with some of them, trying out their methods and 'borrowing' their skills. I have been able to make a figure i really wanted, make a page about it and at the same time combine all the information together so i can pass it all back to the other modellers. This i hope in my small way can help everyone to make their models.

Regarding the collar and getting it to stay down flat, one method i was told about but have not tried yet. Is to sew a stitch into the inside of the collar just above the point (making sure it does not show through to the outside) and into the jacket. Plus once that is done the collar can be ironed to make it look flatter.

I hope this helps.

Gary

Is Ross featured in TV series Band of Brothers? Is he the guy who is fellow officer of Winters?

Hi,

Yes you are correct he is the friend of Winters.
    And if i can offer this page for help - http://johkaz.byethost10.com/reference.html

Gary
    Last edited by Johkaz; 04-03-2008 at 04:53.

Thanks Johkaz. Wonder why DID didn't do Winters instead?

Thanks to Johkaz. Now I know how to keep Ross pants up. By the way, what exactly is Testor Dullcote Lacquer? Is it a matt paint?

Hi,

With regards to making a figure of Winters. I wondered if it was because he was too well known in that role in Band of Brothers, as i have heard that if a head is made commercially that looks too much like a person, they may have to pay some kind of Royalty fee to the actor?

As for the Testors Dullcote, it is a strong type of varnish that i eventually managed to get hold of here in the UK.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Testors-Liquid...QQcmdZViewItem

I believe it is made in the USA, and maybe someone more knowledgable than me would know if the bottles can be shipped to Asia?

Gary

Gary

Gary think I came across Testor products in the model shop here in Asia.

Gary - thanks for the tip on the collar. I was thinking of glue, but I think I'll try the stitch technique. Thanks again.
    Craig659

I'm using this figure as a basis for a bash. It's a really great figure and you have only made it better.