is there a moder version of the FN FAL

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: is there a moder version of the FN FAL

is there a moder version of the FN FAL

is there a modern version of the FN FAL I can make or buy for my osw?
    Last edited by KENX; 03-27-2008 at 17:35.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The short answer, KENX, is no. A longer answer follows:

The FN FAL as a military arm has pretty much reached it's zenith. It's still one of the premier long guns in the world, but FN has not "modernized" it. A company called DSA (www.dsarms.com) is producing versions of the FN that are pretty "gussied up" with options and camoflage patterns, but are still, underneath, a FN FAL.

FN (www.fnherstal.com) is producing newer weapons, if you're looking to have a modern FN rifle.

I personally would like to see some of the DSA guns in 1:6, as they look pretty sporty.

I hope this helps

The 1/6 "RMC" brand British Small Arms set came with a pair of FN FAL rifles, albeit in the imperial pattern, Commonwealth L1A1 guise.
    These are a really good base for modification into contemporary DSA rifles and carbines. The fore-end is easily removed, underneath is a full length barrel and operating rod (call it what you will).
    These may be a little hard to obtain, however.

James

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

thanks for the link stevo

wow this looks great (hehe OSW!)

anti-personnel's reference would be the most updated version of a real one. its a shame not in 1;6 though....TUS usually has good concepts, and they've been quiet for a while, so who know's (they were the first to come with walther, romanian ak etc..)

If you can find it TUS SWAT Pointman came with a short-barreled, folding stock version. No rails just a regular handguard.
    Cammar Pilru: Any training school for free citizens must begin by teaching distrust, not trust. It must teach questioning, not acceptance of stock answers.

That TUS SWAT Pointman actually comes with a Galil derivative.

I've yet to find a picture of some of the ones "modernised" for service in Afghanistan. I have a pic of a NZ SAS Ranger with a "modernised (still long though) one". The Aussie ones used a lot of commercial parts and the weapons were done in two lengths. It's like an information black hole. There is talk of ADI Lithgow doing some 7.62 prototypes based on the old SLR but again nothing concrete. It's time that the troops got something with the ability to deliver the punch required.
    Spanner
    Arte et marte

Spanner,
    I've got a copy of the very recent NZ SAS documentary, "NZSAS First Among Equals", and the viewer gets a couple of decent looks at their SLRs.
    They've got a railed receiver, ACOG sight, some sort of quad railed fore-end (with bipod), and a quite large sound suppressor which is either of the reflex persuasion or is fitted to a reasonably short barrel.
    It's otherwise a ripper of a documentary, and it can be bought online from NZ for a little over 20 bucks.

It would be interesting to see what the modernised Aussie examples look like, but given the issue of the SR25 it's hard to know how widely circulated such rifles would be. Are they intended to be used like a powerful close quarters battle rifle or carbine, or like an intermediate range semi auto sniper rifle?
    I've got a feeling the Kiwis use the SLR chasis as Comrade Helen is probably reluctant to open the purse for terribly expensive new kit.

James

I was going to say the the SA-58 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911williams View Post
    Spanner,
    I've got a copy of the very recent NZ SAS documentary, "NZSAS First Among Equals", and the viewer gets a couple of decent looks at their SLRs.
    They've got a railed receiver, ACOG sight, some sort of quad railed fore-end (with bipod), and a quite large sound suppressor which is either of the reflex persuasion or is fitted to a reasonably short barrel.
    It's otherwise a ripper of a documentary, and it can be bought online from NZ for a little over 20 bucks.

It would be interesting to see what the modernised Aussie examples look like, but given the issue of the SR25 it's hard to know how widely circulated such rifles would be. Are they intended to be used like a powerful close quarters battle rifle or carbine, or like an intermediate range semi auto sniper rifle?
    I've got a feeling the Kiwis use the SLR chasis as Comrade Helen is probably reluctant to open the purse for terribly expensive new kit.

James

You won't find aussies using the SLR anytime soon. Even cadets and reserves havent used the SLR for years! And like you said, now they have the SR-25 around, there is no reason nto dig out the old slr's.

Though i would love to build one up, but use the L2A1 as the chassis! Heavy barrel, automatic, 30rnd mags! Wouldnt that go good with a few rails hanging off it! (you would want to shorten the barrel a bit though!)
    NON GRATUM ANUM RODENTUM