Is ACU bein g ignored?

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Is ACU bein g ignored?

Is ACU bein g ignored?

Hey all, I'm just thinking, yeah we've got a bunch of new bashes from HT and soldier story and TS but what about DML, DiD and bbi? DML has only released a very exclusive figure, only available in military stores, and BBI hasn't released an ACU figure since Lucas. AS much as I like Hot toys, and Soldier story and Toy Soldier, They are out of my price range. And we are still awaiting the completion of the ACU gear DiD promised, so where is it all? Where has the ACU gear gone from these companies?

Thanks
    -rob.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

HT seems to be doing many as well as SS. If you are looking to do some bashes you will have plenty of luck putting your own together by piece. All Dragon ever seems to do is WWII, and they are certainly pretty cheap, but I venture to guess that if they do a modern, they will JACK the price up big. DiD seems to keep taking breaks to do Samurai and creepy little Asian kid sets.
    "...peace is the highest aspiration of the American People. We will negotiate for it, sacrifice for it, we will never surrender for it, now or ever."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan January 20, 1981

Dragon is most likely going to fade again,as a result of the backlash of the 2 Brit's they released.The DID ACU stuff...don't hold your breath.After the weapons they released and how the M14 EBR was blasted,they are pretty much not going to see light.BBi most likely is only going to do anniversary figures.

So that leaves Soldier's Story,HotToys and Toy Soldier,well ACE too.The only low priced ACU's I think that are out there are Power team box sets.
    I am not a slave to the box art layout!!
    Don't be so unkind.You may not survive to pass this way again,and these be the last friendly words you'll hear.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I agree with Aaron, the times of low priced accessories are most likely gone. Can't complain though, I myself prefer higher priced items as they look and feel more like real 1/1 counterparts then anything Dragon has ever made.

Alexei

I'm no economic guru, but new price has been established in 1/6 modern market and it'll only go up.

DML lost its battle against BBI in modern business. So they'll stick with what they do best, WW II and such. BBI had to pull out of modern market because it probably lost a lot of money by making quality figures and not charging enough in order to beat DML. In the aftermath, HT, ACE, TS, DID, and others stepped in to pick up the slacks and pretty much started driving up the price. HT took bold steps in setting the new price range and everyone pretty much followed. And people started buying them.

So in the end, it's really up to us....does the figure provide value to us? If so, get the figure and enjoy it. Is it worth paying almost $15 for a pair of boots in order to achieve that ultimate, accurate look and feel on the figure? Go for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have spent almost $30 for two pairs of Oakley boots by Very Hot Toys. But I know I can't go and buy every cool stuff I see anymore.

Amen Lomax, that is the toughest part now is that you are really compelled to narrow exactly what you want. I think that is one of the greater values of this board is that it allows you to be in regular contact with people who can trade or sell with you at below (generally) what the EBay and/or commercial markets can get em to you for.
    I think the companies will continue to price higher until they find that threshold of exactly where we will stop buying. But...they are also packin more "stuff" in em that we can use on other bashes or trade.
    "...peace is the highest aspiration of the American People. We will negotiate for it, sacrifice for it, we will never surrender for it, now or ever."

Quote Originally Posted by lomax0000 View Post
    I'm no economic guru, but new price has been established in 1/6 modern market and it'll only go up.

DML lost its battle against BBI in modern business. So they'll stick with what they do best, WW II and such. BBI had to pull out of modern market because it probably lost a lot of money by making quality figures and not charging enough in order to beat DML. In the aftermath, HT, ACE, TS, DID, and others stepped in to pick up the slacks and pretty much started driving up the price. HT took bold steps in setting the new price range and everyone pretty much followed. And people started buying them.

So in the end, it's really up to us....does the figure provide value to us? If so, get the figure and enjoy it. Is it worth paying almost $15 for a pair of boots in order to achieve that ultimate, accurate look and feel on the figure? Go for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have spent almost $30 for two pairs of Oakley boots by Very Hot Toys. But I know I can't go and buy every cool stuff I see anymore.
    Yeah, I've been trying to find a true type body, I had everything thought out and I was almost ready to order. Except one problem I needed a body. So I eventually went to ebay after failing to find one in any store, and people have taken off every part on the HT truetype bodies and sell a pair of hands for 8$ OUCH! But yeah, a few weeks ago I paid 14$ for a pair of toy soldier desert combat boots. but I guess i'll have to bite the bullet. D:

but people parting out the sets is a good thing, because if I want I can buy just the M1 rifle I need for a bash for $5-10 instead of the whole $50-70 figure. It's when HK sellers charge $10+ to ship a tiny TT neck joint where things are really out of control.

Sometimes you can save $ if you sell on ebay too, by parting out a figure. I occasionally buy a Sideshow figure if I just need one piece of clothing, or an accessory, part out the rest. More often than not, I make all my money back, so I get the piece I need for the low low price of taking a picture and a trip to the post box...

all i can say is if you dont like the price, then don't buy!

Much as what happened with the US Army, the BDUs, helmet covers, and Interceptors came out in ACU first, followed by the MOLLE gear.

Itmes like mag pouches, SAW pouches, grenade pouches, etc. are still rare but it's improving a bit. The new Soldier Story SAW gunner finally gave us the ACU FLC. But there is, for example, STILL NO ACU canteen cover or regular Camelbak in ACU. Dragon released a MOLLE ruck in ACU, but it is a POS. I wish the new Hot Toys 10th Mountain sniper would come with a MOLLE ruck (I would also love MARPAT ILBE rucks and assault packs, but that is another thread.) We need more grunt gear in ACU, not just MAVs, GPS pouches and other exotic stuff. Based on what I have seen lately, U.S. groundpounders are exclusively outfitted with ACU gear (by unit SOP). The mixed woodland/3-color desert/coyote/ACU gear seems to have ended back in 2006.
    Last edited by Blue Max; 03-06-2008 at 18:14.

Unless I am mistaken, and I am looking at it right now, SS Saw Gunner 101st has an ACU ruck.

No, that was a 3-day assault pack. The MOLLE Ruck is much bigger, with a pack frame, detachable side "sustainment" pouches, a sleeping bag holder, and a separate waist pack. Dragon released the whole thing in two carded sets (of course) in Woodland a fews years ago.

Last edited by Blue Max; 03-06-2008 at 18:04.

See, thats what happens when I am out of the Army for 13 years, they go and change all the equipment. Oh well, guess that is why I am here, to learn what the heck they got now. No wonder I have such a tough time bashing the modern figs.

IMHO ACUs are definetly being ignored.

Its already been stated but look hom many ACU sets have been done incomparison to other camo. Heck, there are more multicam sets out than ACU (when I say "set" I'm talking about nonfigure products like DiD and TS uniform sets). There's a huge shortage out there of SAW pouches, compass pouches and 5.56 ammo pouches. No one is doing the canteen pouch which is THE choice for NVG storage. The SAW pouches can double as 1st aid pouches (put a red strap over the fastex buckle and wammo you are all over it) but there are all kind of pouches that haven't been done especially in the first aid area. I'd like to see some shingles and open top pouches also. Heck, I've resorted to cutting up some foilage green t-shirts to make gaiters and goggle covers.

Bad News dudes. I should have put it in my toyfair thread. DiD is not doing modern stuff for the near future. Soldier Story will be focusing on modern. Bummer but I wanted to get that out so people aren't waiting for that "never going to appear" accessory set. Please pass on.

Regards,

Will

There was quite a bit of ACU stuff, if you were lucky enough to snatch it up, as far as magazine and SAW pouches are concerned. I have all of TS' ACU pouches to date, and I also have these SAW pouches I snagged off a HK Ebay store.

Those SAW pouches aren't available anymore, unfortunately. I guess sometimes you just gotta be in the right place at the right time to snag up certain things.
    ~Thats me in the corner, thats me in the spotlight, losing my religion~
    -=Cyber Bully=-

Well think about this...how long was woodland and desert camo out before someone did them in 1/6?And how much stuff has been released in those schemes in 1/6?Alot!!

ACE is still new,and gear is eing updated all the time.The 1/6 companies don't have crystal balls to get up to speed to make new gear.

ToySoldier has been working on the SCAR for a while,the NSW gunner set was discussed almost 2 years ago,the CIRAS that the Mullen figure has has also been in the works for a few years.These companies don't have millions of workers making this stuff.It takes time,research takes time.I know that Alan will not make a piece of signifigant gear,unless he has one in front of him to take all the measurements and get it right.And even still it isn't alway 100 percent correct,but pretty damn close.

I can't speak for HT,ACE,or BBi about their measures,but if they had every piece of gear to make in 1/6,there would be a new figure out every single day.

ACU isn't being ignored,it's just new.And what about MARPAT?There isn't a glut of Marpat gear either.
    I am not a slave to the box art layout!!
    Don't be so unkind.You may not survive to pass this way again,and these be the last friendly words you'll hear.

Thanks for the intel on DiD, Will. That sucks, as the pics on the card backing looked really good. After all this time, I sorta wondered if it would ever see daylight. Still, with TS, Soldier Story, HT, and maybe outfits like Saturday Toys, we might get a few more sets.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

no

Although the US Army issues ACU FLC, MOLLE Rucks, and well basically everything in ACU during RFI draws prior to deployment, CIF still loves to issue out rucks, molle FLC, goretex is both Woodland and DCU. Of course the private purchase gear is always readily available from the big guys ie. Blackhawk, Eagle, Tactical Tailor, Spec Ops. Even on my third tour to the sandbox I still see troops walking around in a mixture of camo patterns for gear ie. Woodland, OD, Ranger Green, Flat Dark Earth, Coyote Tan/Brown, Multicam, and even Flecktarn (yes, German desert Flecktarn vest on a troop from a unit stationed in Germany. Wonder how he managed to get that). Yes some units put of a unit SOP that all gear must be ACU and I've heard of some going as far as stating that all gear worn will be that that issued to them. But for the most part units allow troops to wear what they want to wear and leave their 'kit' specs up to the individual.

As for 1:6 scale, I agree we could see more of ACU pattern gear, and I agree whole heartfully with a 1 quart canteen pouch best thing for carrying PVS-14 with the mount attached. But of course I have a whole list of items I would like to see be made but can only wish.
    Molon Labe

I got a few custom kitbashes with ACU, most of the stuff was from Toy Soldier. Personally I don't like ACU. MARPAT is definitely nicer. What I'm really looking foward to is a figure using the USAF's new Digital Tigerstripe. I've seen that digis in person and man I want myself a set.

Maybe, kinda, sorta....

The market isn't bad right now if you need uniforms, helmets or even body armor, although those items don't come quite as cheap anymore. On the other hand, pouches and small accessories can sometimes be hard to find or expensive to purchase in the quantities usually needed. I'm really kicking myself for not buying a couple sets of those TS plate carriers back when they were readily available. The pouches alone make those sets very worthwhile.
    OK, so where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?

Hey wait a minute! HOT Toys has made both a 1 Qrt Canteen pouch in ACU and a GP Utility pouch for NVG stuff. You guys just have not recognized it. The 1 Qrt Canteen pouch comes with the Army SF Sniper in ACU. It is used on the figure as a utility pouch. The large ACU utility pouch that comes with the 10th Mtn Sniper can be used to carry NVG equipment and works perfectly with the NVG kit (storage padding/carrier, NVG, & NVG Mount) from Soldier Story. Matter in fact, the pouch design that HT uses is the same pouch design SS uses with its LMG 1st Cav Gunner to carry the NVG gear.

I am sure more ACU equipment will be out soon, it just takes a while to make this stuff. BDUs have been the main stay of our military for some 26 years (1982?). ACUs have only be out officially for four years (2004). The wear-out date for BDUs/DCUs was April 30, 2008. So, if you are trying to make your figures accurate keep this information in mind. Here are the other uniforms items with a 4/30/08 wear out date.

In addition to the BDU and desert BDU, these items also have an April 30 wear-out date:

• Brown T-shirt

• Black leather combat boots

• Woodland and desert camouflage pattern caps

• Olive drab green name tape and U.S. Army tape

• Subdued olive green shoulder sleeve insignia and subdued combat patches

• Black rigger belt

• Web belt with open-faced black buckle

• Green and black jungle boots

Beginning Sept. 30, 2009, active, Guard and Reserve soldiers also must stop wearing the black knit cap and black micro fleece knit cap. The woodland camouflage field jacket will have a wear-out date of Sept. 30, 2010. What this also means is that soon you/us (1:6th Collectors) will have a hard time finding BDUs and DCUs uniform and equipment items. Then we will have the reverse problem (LOL).
    Last edited by STALL STUFF; 07-23-2008 at 10:21.

IMHO the ACU just doesn't look that badass (i.e. it lacks the appeal) compared to black, woodlands and tigerstripe patterns. Same with MARPAT. I just think they don't (and won't) sell very well.

But then again this is coming from a casual military figure collector

Quote Originally Posted by STALL STUFF View Post
    What this also means is that soon you/us (1:6th Collectors) will have a hard time finding BDUs and DCUs uniform and equipment items. Then we will have the reverse problem (LOL).
    So true! For example, one problem I've already encountered is finding the MICH with a Woodland cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Mlatch221 View Post
    Maybe, kinda, sorta....

The market isn't bad right now if you need uniforms, helmets or even body armor, although those items don't come quite as cheap anymore. On the other hand, pouches and small accessories can sometimes be hard to find or expensive to purchase in the quantities usually needed. I'm really kicking myself for not buying a couple sets of those TS plate carriers back when they were readily available. The pouches alone make those sets very worthwhile.
    Is this what you're talking about

I preordered this from Echobase when they had it available. I just haven't gotten around to building a figure with this set. I plan to though.
    If you ask me, ACU & MARPAT are a little less forgiving when it comes to getting a kitbash done right, unlike OD green, desert or woodland camo.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanTiger74 View Post
    Is this what you're talking about
    Yep, that's the set! A couple of these sets would give you enough pouches to at least equip a small fire team.

Alberta, Canada, North American Continent, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mlatch221 View Post
    Yep, that's the set! A couple of these sets would give you enough pouches to at least equip a small fire team.
    I know... first-hand.

we have plenty of ACU what about some more marpat or i could go for some flecktarn and tropentarn
    Well let me go ahead and quote the late great Colonel Sanders here, he said "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby

I think grunt gear is being ignored big-time. There seems to be a lot of gucci gear on the market, but very little in the way of average joe stuff. Grenade pouches, SAW pouches, and M-16 pouches would definatly be a good thing to see. Maybe some ACU Raids and three day packs, camelbaks, and more MARPAT uniforms and ACUs. Even some older stuff would be nice, large ALICE packs would be great for bashes!

When someone makes a decent PC in ACU, I think I might shed tears of joy
    Mark