WWII German Sniper: I need info. help!

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: WWII German Sniper: I need info. help!

WWII German Sniper: I need info. help!

Hey guy's,

Okay I have the urge to bash a WWII German Sniper time frame spring/fall/o rwinter. Since I don't know much about that era, I need some help to find out who makes the best stuff needed for this bash. Any help is greatly appreciated. Here's what I would like to know:

Type of Camo Uni worn? Which company makes the best of this?

Type of Helmet and cover? Which company makes the best of this?

Type of Weapon/ Weapons used? Which company makes the best of this?

Type of Boots worn? Which company makes the best of this?

Anything else I need to know to make an accurate sniper?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your responses.

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That's a really big topic. Dragon, DiD, bbi and Toys City all make WWII German weapons, gear, uniforms, helmets/covers, etc. suitable for your purpose. What you have to decide first is where you're sniper lives, what season: spring, fall, or winter. Germany had different patterns of camo for each season (including summer). Also a sniper can be dressed like any other soldier. If you want him in camo then Dragon, DiD and Toys City (as well as some custom manufacturers like Battlegear) make fine camo uniforms. I favor DiD and Battlegear because I think the color and patterns look better, but I haven't seen Toys City in person yet. As far as boots it's the same story, do you want to spend the extra bucks (a lot) and get Newline real leather boots? They make a fine selection of German footwear. The other manufacturers will do in a pinch as well, rubber boots still work with a little weathering and careful painting. If you want a scoped rifle DiD's wooden stocked Mauser is a beauty but with repainting Dragon's will also do.

As far as making an "accurate" sniper, well, what is accurate? If you have a particular moment in time, unit, etc. in mind then you are best to pick up a couple of books on uniforms like Osprey or Squadron In Action, or a myriad of other fine publications on uniforms and equipment of the German soldier during WWII. Most of these books feature artist renderings of soldiers (frequently taken from actual photographs). You may find one specifically on German snipers of WWII. This would be a photo book that has gathered as much available material on the subject as the author could lay their hands on. The info is out there but you will have to do a little creative searching and gathering of reference. To start try: www.squadron.com and www.amazon.com and search their sites for your topic. Both sources have quite a few good books available on uniforms and militaria. Also, don't neglect the re-enactor groups, many of whom have websites and are happy to field questions through emails. Suppliers/manufacturers of re-enactor regalia are also good for research.

Narrow your parameters to a specific sniper in a specific place at a specific time of year and that will put you considerably ahead of the game.

I found this on the web, thought you may be interested: http://www.snipersparadise.com/history/german.htm

And this site has a few WWII period images of German snipers: http://www.sfclan.net/ww2photos.htm . If you type in "German snipers" to google images you'll find a few helpful photos.
    Last edited by furious genius; 02-28-2008 at 11:37.

FG,

Thanks bud for all the info. I ordered an Osprey book about Snipers from 1914 to Now. So that should have some good info. in it. Well as far what time frame I want to do, I want something with a pretty cool looking camo if that makes sense. But I was also liking this one camo called "Marsh" camo. What area and time of year would that be used? I want to put strands of tall grass on either side of the helmet, so would this "Marsh" camo work for like a tall grass area?

I was looking at the K98 Mauser, man that DiD one is nice. Kinda hard to find though, but was also looking at the set that DML has, one has a scope on it. They look nice but do they look like woodgrain or not so much? There is also a set of 2 that I seen by a company called Factory No.6 , are these any good?

Yes I am looking at those Newline boots, the black jump boots, would those work for a sniper?

Thanks again for your help, I greatly appreciate it.

Mike

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hey Mike,

Man, I'm a sucker for a Sniper Bash. I think FG covered most of the ground to get you started.

If your interested in the "Deluxe" German Sniper rifle, check out Ti-Lite on Ebay. They run for about $35, but are truly amazing looking. I haven't broken down and gotten one, but think about it time to time.

I got alot of my reference's from The German Sniper 1914 - 1945.

I snapped a few of my favorites for you.

Good luck, hope to see what you come up with.

David

David,

Wow those are sweet! That first one is my favorite as that was the uni I was thinking of getting. Can you give me a parts breakdown of that guy?

Thanks for taking those picks, they look great!

Mike

Thanks,

He's basically Dragon's Axel Hass. I added the DID Kar98, one of the ceremonial DID guards figs and a Dragon camo veil. Done....

It's one of my favorites too.

D

http://video.google.de/videoplay?doc...51584554913075

pretty interesting stuff.

I'll post a pic later of my sniper bash;0

because I do only germans (and maybe 1 US and russian...) and I read WAY too much compared to most of my friends, here's the best answers I can come up with.

Type of Camo Uni worn? Which company makes the best of this?
    Pick whichever camo you think looks best. Smocks are good, so are tunics, but zelts are kinda impracticle as the arms dont quite go up right. DiD and DML are the two best, and toys city's smocks work well (i havent looked at their tunics yet)

Type of Helmet and cover? Which company makes the best of this?
    you can go with either a wire net (like DID's older stuff) ir helmets covers, same rule with uniforms, pick whichever one you like, try to go with DiD, DML, bbi, or Toys City.

Type of Weapon/ Weapons used? Which company makes the best of this?
    All I know so far, are the Scoped K98 (DiD, DML), Scoped G43 (DML), and scoped MP44 (DML, remove the Vampyr large scope). If its eastern front, you can give him a scoped russian rifle (Not sure what kind, Mosin nagant is almost a K98, did tokarev rifles have scopes?)

Type of Boots worn? Which company makes the best of this?
    Low boots, and jackboots, go with low though, less conspicuous. DiD and NLM

Anything else I need to know to make an accurate sniper?
    binoculars
    'Only two things are infinite -- the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe.' --Albert Einstein

Thanks guy's! That helps. See you learn something everyday.

Thanks
    Mike

Here is a video link for German WW2 Snipers. I have ordered 2 Ti-Lite rifles one sniper and one K98. I am patiently waiting for them to arrive so I can finish my other 2 Bashes!
    http://www.veoh.com/videos/v256059xd2HE6rD

Thanks guy's,

Thanks for the video, great lttle insight. I have found a few of the items needed just need to track down the rest.

Thanks again, and yes post more pics of your bashes.

Mike