Barrack Sergeant Body Mod (Shoulder)

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Barrack Sergeant Body Mod (Shoulder)

Barrack Sergeant Body Mod (Shoulder)

My first attempt at writing a tutorial. Pls bear with me with the pics.

I like BS bodies since they come relatively cheap, have slim chests and pose well. The shoulders however, are too "wide" for my liking. Here's my attempt to make them look more like ACE's MK-1.

A side by side comparison between the BS and MK-1 bodies before any modifications. Love how the MK-1's shoulders look.

Tools I used. I bought the saw, file and screwdrivers from a local budget store for less than $2 each. (Yea I'm a cheapskate )

Step 1:

Unscrew the arm/shouder joint from the body.

Next, unscrew the arm from the shoulder joint.

Step 2:

Now, mark the part that's going to be removed. (Marked area is hindering shoulder movement downwards)

The "marked part" from a different angle.

Step 3:

Putting my trusty saw to use. You would probably notice there's actually not much plastic to remove.

Now clean up the edges with a file.

Step 4:

Attach arm back to shoulder joint.

Attach arm/shoulder joint back to body. (A closer look at the new shoulder joint)

Do the same with the left arm. It took me less than 15 mins to get the job done on both arms.

A side by side comparison between the original and modded BS bodies.

The modded BS body placed beside ACE's MK-1 body. I think the "shoulder effect" is pretty much achieved. ( I also foam padded the BS body in this case)

So there you go, a quick and simple way to mod your ugly BS shoulders. I'm sure there are better ways to go about modding the BS bodies to achieve better looks or posing capabilities, but until I can lay my hands on a dremel (which costs more than SGD200 here ), this is what I can come up with using my $2 saw.

Thanks for looking, any inputs will be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Houston Again! Please let me escape soon @[email protected]
    Good job and great tip I do the same with my BBi G3.5 bodies' shoulders. I'll keep this in mind when I finally get time to work on some figures.
    Always do your best in everything you do, and live on, happy. - Aya

DogBelly, nice mods to the BS bodies. Read the link below for Yujin's directions for cheaper version of dremel.

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ad.php?t=67668
    ________
    The Cliff Condominium
    Last edited by tang; 09-01-2011 at 20:51.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Very cool mod. Might have to try this out!

Nice mod man, thanks for the pointer.

Nice tutorial Dave!

I don't use my dremel anymore for cutting up nudes. It makes too much of a mess with the dust all over the place. Pain in the ass to clean up.

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    DogBelly, nice mods to the BS bodies. Read the link below for Yujin's directions for cheaper version of dremel.

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ad.php?t=67668
    Thanks for the link Tang!

Quote Originally Posted by coreblocksystem View Post
    Nice tutorial Dave!

I don't use my dremel anymore for cutting up nudes. It makes too much of a mess with the dust all over the place. Pain in the ass to clean up.
    I can guess as much, but seeing all those body modding tutorials online really make me want to try cutting up a BBI G3. I've tried taking a TS body apart but is really going nowhere without a dremel.

nice tutorial. thanks for tip also.

CC

Great tutorial and the pic's help alot.I, also will try this too,thanks again for posting!!!
    RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!

Thanks for the tip, Dave, and great tutorial as well!

You can get one of those bootleg "Dremel" for about 40 - 60 buck at Jalan Besar, just opposite the (former) Thieves Market. Anyway, modding bodies can be a very messy affair (and somewhat of a health hazard also I read).
    History repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as farce. - Karl Marx

Thanks a lot for this tutorial. I was not too keen on the shoulder of the BS body. Problem solved.

Thank you for posting this. I just did it and it looks great now.
    Rule #1: There are no rules!
    Rule #2: No outside foods.

great tips! thanks alot. i'm wondering tho, now that his shoulders are a lot lower does it give him a "monkey arm" look? would u happen to have a pic of the figure w/o the padding and w/ hands and feet to see where his arm length is at?

bump

Quote Originally Posted by Mookeylama View Post
    great tips! thanks alot. i'm wondering tho, now that his shoulders are a lot lower does it give him a "monkey arm" look? would u happen to have a pic of the figure w/o the padding and w/ hands and feet to see where his arm length is at?
    If you look at the last comparison pic, the "arm length" is pretty similar to ACE's.

gotta remember that one...........thanks.

Fernando
    Some days you eat the bear. Some days the bear eats you. Some days you both walk away!

Quote Originally Posted by DogBelly View Post
    If you look at the last comparison pic, the "arm length" is pretty similar to ACE's.

while you are right about the "arm length" being approximate (in that the wrists end evenly for both figures), just by looking at the last pic one can tell that the shoulders are obviously not in line w/ one another and the knees on the BS are higher and shown in the pic. the ACE's are not.

in fact if you look at where the hips start on the BS and where the wrists stop, you can tell that the arms hang considerably lower in relation to the thigh than on the ACE. just curious is all