The BEST "What a cute doll!" comeback? Another term for "Action Figure"?

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The BEST "What a cute doll!" comeback? Another term for "Action Figure"?

The BEST "What a cute doll!" comeback? Another term for "Action Figure"?

Asking for some help here. What do you say to the person that calls your "Action Figure(s)" a doll(s)?

Are there better terms for "Action Figure"?

When someone calls my figures dolls I usually gently correct them and use the term "Action Figure". The ones that burn me are typically women who say, "I know but I just like to tweak my husband". My response is usually drawing blood biting my tongue (the wench isn't married to me and her husband isn't there). When I'm especially fiesty I respond with, "Yeah, most folks that never humped a ruck or put thier butt on the line call them dolls also" (it works for me being a vet but you can use it also). The offending party usually puts the "Woops, was that a claymore?" look on and scurries out of my store to schedule some therapy. More often than not I say nothing and feel bad about it. I'm looking for a classy gentle response that iluminates the individual's ignorance and eductaes them or at a minimum leaves me feeling good about my "Combat Figures".

Do you have a unique name for action figures? Since 99% of what I do is combat I prefer the term "Combat Figure".

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have found that the easiest thing to do is embrace the "doll" term. Since all of us know the real deal, and those on the outside generally call em that to piss us off, I just take away their ammunition. My wife started doin it to tweak me, but since she is making most of the money that I am spendin on em, I just started to call em dolls too. I mean honestly, does it really change what they are or how we feel about em? Not so much.
    "...peace is the highest aspiration of the American People. We will negotiate for it, sacrifice for it, we will never surrender for it, now or ever."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan January 20, 1981

Quote Originally Posted by major.rod View Post
    Asking for some help here. What do you say to the person that calls your "Action Figure(s)" a doll(s)?

Are there better terms for "Action Figure"?

When someone calls my figures dolls I usually gently correct them and use the term "Action Figure". The ones that burn me are typically women who say, "I know but I just like to tweak my husband". My response is usually drawing blood biting my tongue (the wench isn't married to me and her husband isn't there). When I'm especially fiesty I respond with, "Yeah, most folks that never humped a ruck or put thier butt on the line call them dolls also" (it works for me being a vet but you can use it also). The offending party usually puts the "Woops, was that a claymore?" look on and scurries out of my store to schedule some therapy. More often than not I say nothing and feel bad about it. I'm looking for a classy gentle response that iluminates the individual's ignorance and eductaes them or at a minimum leaves me feeling good about my "Combat Figures".

Do you have a unique name for action figures? Since 99% of what I do is combat I prefer the term "Combat Figure".

Thanks.
    sounds like you spoke with my wife
    "Yeah, well. The Dude abides."

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Actually, everyone who's seen my collection calls them GI Joe's. "Wow, you've got a lot of GI Joe's". I politely tell them that they are if fact various manufacturers. Then I go into a story about how huge this hobby is (and expensive). Then I'll show them this site. The most common reply I get is something in the lines of "I never new this hobby was so popular". Then I'd say something like, "Yea, ACTION FIGURE collecting is".

mandolls
    action barbies
    big army guys
    war dolls
    armykins
    lethal smurfs
    joes
    the children
    war toys
    foot soldiers
    guys
    boys
    lil grunts
    kleine Plastiksoldaten
    troops
    Figure, collectible, plastic-articulated, military, 304.8mm, One Each
    petits soldats de plastique

...........or just explain to them that each one has a name, and start ticking them off. They'll stop bothering you.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

i just say thank you. they don't know any better.

what do i care what their opinion is? I don't get my value or self worth from the opinions of others.

I usually beat the offending person over the head with an old RAH figure until they scream ACTION FIGURE (those old RAH bodies are good for something)...

I am kidding of course!!!

Normally a person who calls my action figures dolls or man dolls or masculine barbies is trying to bother me, so I don't try to correct them, I just show them my "I know what you're trying to do but it's not working"™ smile.

My best can't be repeated here.But use this

1/6 representation of US(or whichever you have)military that is representing your freedom.
    I am not a slave to the box art layout!!
    Don't be so unkind.You may not survive to pass this way again,and these be the last friendly words you'll hear.

Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    kleine Plastiksoldaten
    Figure, collectible, plastic-articulated, military, 304.8mm, One Each
    Oh, those are good!

Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    ...........or just explain to them that each one has a name, and start ticking them off. They'll stop bothering you.
    LOL! Or ask your troops to start introducing themselves...

Jim
    F210

"I shall call him ..... 'Mini-me' ... Muahahahahaha!"

EXCELLENT!!!

Just what I was looking for.

Puckingdog, I'm printing your answer and maybe making a sign.

CorranJ, Turboprop - we feel the same.

1delta10tango - Nice technique

Let me clarify, though this is a personal peeve it has greater implications. I have a lot of folks see my collection and I sell also. For someone that doesn't have as high esteem or confidence as ourselves, a "doll" comment may dissuade them from purchasing or fuel a prejudice against the hobby. I'm trying to educate and expand the hobby so keep those answers coming.

Thanks,

Will

I just call them figures. That's how the gf refers to them as well. But the term "dolls" don't really get me goat, although I love to correct people just for the fun of it.
    History repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as farce. - Karl Marx

I'm around a lot of folks who use the word "doll" legitimately and not as a pejorative so I'm kind of immune to it. If someone were trying to use it as an insult, I probably wouldn't notice unless they made a big production out of it. In that case, they've pretty much exposed themselves to ridicule for their own childish behavior.

As for what to call them, I usually just refer to them as "figures" or "1/6 scale figures" if I'm discussing that specific scale.
    OK, so where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?

They are dolls, so it doesn`t bother me one bit.

I`ve had a couple of derisive comments over the years, you know the ol`
    "You still collecting those DOLLS?" or the Oh so hurtful "Are you still blowin`money on those damn DOLLS?" . I often respond with..."Yep, but I`d prefer you call them MAN DOLLIES" This usually stops them in their tracks.

I generally just refer to them as "JOES". But, if you need to be PC,...I`d just use "1/6 figure"....
    ~MERK..."Deeds Speak!"

Trade List

When someone calles em dolls just pick one of the following:

Dolls?! Well if you're a one armed spastic sack of diseased monkey parts then ya might call em dolls, but most folks with half a brain and who get regular sex would call em "ACTION FIGURES" but hey, you can call em dolls if ya wanna.

Dolls? Does yer wife keep your penis in her purse ? or do you leave it at home?

Dolls? Dolls? Hey lady I don't come to your house and hump your dog, so why are you coming into my home and screwing with my Action figures?

Dolls? did you call them Dolls? Let's make a deal here shall we? I won't call your children Spawn of Arseface and you won't call my action figures dolls? Kay?

Dolls? Unless you're offering sexual favors and cash, they're called Action figures got it?

I've used all of the above or a variation there of at one time or another. So I know these will definitely stop any talk of dolls that may have been taking place.

Clay
    Last edited by Just Clay; 02-23-2008 at 12:15.

That's MAN-doll to you.

Hardcase01, those are great replies! I will keep them in mind and or very close to me in written form. Thanks!
    THEOCBubba

Do not follow where the path may lead.
    Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Face it guys, they are in fact DOLLS.

are you all so insecure in your masculinity that you are afraid to admit that?

You're probably the kind of girly-men who are afraid of being seen in the pink aisle at walmart as well...

Man up and stop being such a bunch of wussies!

Kill them, after the first one no one else seems to ask.

to the average person.. i make them sound better than they are.. i call them limited edition licensed model kits.. ( all i have are a few hot toys).

sometimes i throw in that theyre hand painted

works on people that dont know crap about this hobby.

to be honest, i couldnt give a rats ass what people think. these figures put a smile on my face from time to time and thats all that counts

Quote Originally Posted by Auret View Post
    Face it guys, they are in fact DOLLS.

are you all so insecure in your masculinity that you are afraid to admit that?

You're probably the kind of girly-men who are afraid of being seen in the pink aisle at walmart as well...

Man up and stop being such a bunch of wussies!

I agree. The fact that it seems to bother some people so much is kind of surprising to me. I call them "figures" when I refer to them myself, but I wouldn't get bent out of shape if someone called them dolls. After all, that's pretty much what they are.

THESE ARE NOT DOLLS.

When people ask me what my hobby is, I reply with:

"I collect 1:6 scale "HISTORIC MILITARY REPLICAS" Then I explain to them that they have accurate uniforms and go into a spill about EVERYTHING a soldier can be issued in war time is shrunk down and replicated. Right down to even the food items they eat.

This response and explanation usually blows them away and they want to take a look.
    'Good people sleep soundly in their beds at night because rough men are prepared to do violence on their behalf'

George Orwell

within two hours away from east coast spec.ops (Army, Navy, and USMC)As well as C.I.A. SOG and Blackwater
    I refer to mine as my team.

How about this: I had some free time and was putting together a 21st VC at my old job (tutoring incoming freshmen in a College summer program) a few years back, when a kid come up to me and says "Wow is that a Barbie?" I okked at her and replied: "Does this look like a Barbie to you?" She insisted it did and I told her it was "a representation of the Viet Cong. THe people we fought in Vietnam" and then asked her the following:"Do you even know who the Viet Cong are?" Of coure, She didn't.
    Clay Quartermain: "Freeze! I'm an agent of SHIELD!"

Rhino: "REALLY?!?! WOW, I've never killed one of those before!"

Lets just face it....we are men, they are dolls...we play with mandolls!!
    "Other people's illusion of safety does not supersede my human rights." -Gabe Suarez

Bottom line is that they are highly detailed "GI Joes"...I do not buy the whole "Model" deal. We dress them that's it! Without GI Joe...we would not have the figures we do today. Matchbox, Corgi, Mattel, Winner's Circle (?) all make die cast cars...but they are all refered to as "Hot Wheels". I think most wifes and most moms with children know the difference between "Action Figures" and "Dolls" ( they are somewhat dolls, it's just that they have cool articualtion and are meant for boys to play with).

Boys need there toys is what I usually come back with. Not that it would ever bother me if they did refer to them as dolls. I can say that EVERYONE who has been over to my place and has seen my collection have been in awe. I get many compliments on my collection. which also include "Hot Wheels" and various "Action Figures".

They love the detail, they are usually amazed at how many I have crammed into my display cases. Some guys like there Dune Buggies and motorcycles as there hobby or restoring classic cars maybe, but us...we love toys plain and simple...and toys they are.

One Shot out!

Last time I was in the hospital the wife sent my first Cy girl along as a guardian angel while she couldn't be there. The night nurse came in and called her a Barbie. I can deal with people calling my figs dolls, But not Barbie. I was still a little groggy from the drugs and preceded to ream her a new one. I believe I told her that Anna was as much a Barbie as she was a female dog. She didn't come back in my room all night. That was the only time I have ever gotten a good nights sleep in a hospital.
    Here at home we have dolls and figs, her dolls and my figs.
    I think because we spend more time customizing our figures they are closer to models than dolls. But it is a fine line.
    The rule I have always gone by is that dolls have purses and action figures have weapons.
    Paul

my hobby is my dirty little secret,if the firehouse knew how i spent my time @ home,the mocking would be legendary,BUT if someone did hit me with the doll line,i'd simply tell them that ive been nailing his/her sister and/or mom which would immediately change the subject in my favor

Only janitors refer to themselves as custodial engineers or custodians.

Only stewardesses refer to themselves as flight attendants.

Only doll collectors refer to them as action figures.

It's only those who feel the need to justify or somehow rationalize how they appear to others who will create either more sophisticated names (like for the guy who cleans up the vomit in the boy's bathroom), or find some rationalization to excuse the fact that their dolls are somehow not exactly what they appear to be.

By definition, they are dolls. And I'm perfectly content with the diminutive dimensions of my member to not need to toughen-up my hobby with enmasculating terms as a placebo to my shortcomings.

I refer to them as mandolls or even boydolls when asking in stores.