Pvt., KCo., #rd Batt. 8th US Colored Heavy Artillery 1864

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Pvt., KCo., #rd Batt. 8th US Colored Heavy Artillery 1864

Pvt., KCo., #rd Batt. 8th US Colored Heavy Artillery 1864

Private, K Co.
    3rd Battalion
    8th US Colored Heavy Artillery
    New Orleans, Late Summer 1864

This regiment was raised in Rhode Island during the last six months of 1863 as the 14th Rhode Island Heavy Artillery.
    The designation was changed to the 8th US on April 4, 1864 and to the 11th US Colored heavy Artillery in May of the same year, although they continued to be carried on army rolls as the 8th Regiment until the fall.

Unlike many other colored regiments, the ranks of the 8th contained mostly men who had not been slaves. Nearly all had been brought up free in their native state. Most of them knew to read and write.
    Although it was a heavy artillery unit they received the jacket of the light artillery. As was regulation with all heavy artillery units they were drilled as artillerymen and as infantrymen. The 3rd Battalion served its entire enlistment in the defenses of New Orleans.

Based on an image by Don Troiani, page 227 of his book “Uniforms and regiments of the Civil War”.

Belt, small cap pouch and 1842 Smoothbore musket from SST, everything else from BGT. DML nude and HS (Nate). Added artillery crossed cannons, from Cots, to the cap.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Nicely done!!
    Tim (plasticpanzers)

Very nice!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

The hits keep comin!!!
    "...peace is the highest aspiration of the American People. We will negotiate for it, sacrifice for it, we will never surrender for it, now or ever."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan January 20, 1981

Wow!

Nice figure, subject matter and poses. I didn't think I'd like the cloth kepi's and bummer caps, but they look pretty good on the figures. BGT makes some high quality stuff

Very well done!!
    "Other people's illusion of safety does not supersede my human rights." -Gabe Suarez

A very beautiful contribution to Black History Month 2008.
    Terrific wrk as always, EZ I luvv the jacket!

I'll be reworking my old 54thMass and making a new "field version", but the last two Afro American ACW bashes could be called..."Beyond the 54th" ...

As for the caps, in these bashes and in any bash I start witht he head gear and then search for the HS. I had better AA HS available, but onthis one the cap fit nicely and that , for me, makes a big difference.
    The recent Reynolds bash would have gotten a new HS if the cap had fit the Douglas Caldwell HS... an awkward fitting headgear takes a lot from even a nice HS.

Thanks for the comments...
    Que siga la fiesta!
    E

Thumbs up

An outstanding figure! A good use of Nate. Though dated he fills the uniform well.