How to Paint H/S using acrylic paint

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: How to Paint H/S using acrylic paint

How to Paint H/S using acrylic paint

Hey guys so ive just bought acrylic paint made by Folkart. I tried painting it on the figure and well the techniques i know just don't work. I usually paint in oil based paint btw.Anyone here can help me out with an acrylic paint tutorial? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

What are you cleaning your brushes with? I always used to paint with enamels and always used common or garden paintbrush cleaner to clean my brushes. This reacted badly with the acrylics and I never got a good finish. I then switched to water with a bit of washing up liquid in to clean brushes and the results with acrylics were much better.

I've never heard of Folkart acrylics, if they're artists acrylics then they won't be that good for painting sculpts. I use Vallejo and they are modeller's acrylics and are excellent for painting sculpts.

Vallejo are quite thin, so, with brushes, I lay down a base coat of the fleshtone just to get some colour there. Then I drybrush over this till every part of the face is covered. After this I build up the colour with 2 to 3 washes, this gives a really smooth finish over which I apply pastels. I use salmon pink for foundation then shade with raw and burnt sienna. I fix the pastels after each layer as they get messy if I blend everything together. If needed, I highlight raised areas with a very pale yellow and it gives a very realistic effect when done.

I doubt if this method would work with other acrylics as they tend to be a lot thicker and more designed for kids than serious modellers like you and I. If you can manage to get some Vallejo paints they are the best I've ever found and they are second to none for both movie and military colours. They can also be airbrushed.

Hope this helps

CHEERS!

I'm no pro but come to 1/6 from 1/35 and am used to using Vallejo color. If you're going to stick strictly to acrylics, the trick is to use many many highly diluted passes that dry without leaving brush strokes. Essentially you start with a base coat, perhaps use a few darker washes for deep shadow, and then lighten and brighten your palette for each subsequent pass, letting each of these dry before applying the next.

Juame Ortiz uses a similar technique to produce masterpieces such as this (and at a little over an inch high):

With 1/6, I find it far easier to start with a good acrylic flesh tone, then apply a wash very selectively and only in the deepest recesses. After that it's all pastels. I grind the sticks into powder on some sanding film, then apply this with a soft brush. Testors DullCote seals the powder and tends to tone things down when the contrasts seem too heavy.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I find Folk Art and other "craft" acrylics (Ceramcoat is another) a bit difficult to work with but I know painters that get excellent results with them. Like Roger, I use Vallejo for just about every thing but Liquitex is also very popular among face up artists I know.

The best book I've found on the subject is Lynn Winar and Don Kessler's How to Paint Realistic Military Figures. An on-line resource that is helpful is the "how to" section at Vallejo's website: LINK

Vallejo home page: LINK

The big difference between acrylics and oils is that you physically blend oils while acrylics require a layering technique.
    OK, so where are we going and why are we in this handbasket?

argentina, buenos aires, ahol of the word
    i use acrylic paint to, and for me are exelen, easy to work with and correct mistakes, dry fast, easy to clean the brushes, you just need water, you have to be carafull with the brush strokes, i dont even dilute the pain exept sometimes with a little of saliva grose but effective, but i cant help you im a instict kind of painter, and dont know nathing about teccniques, and whats the teccnique you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Mlatch221 View Post
    I find Folk Art and other "craft" acrylics (Ceramcoat is another) a bit difficult to work with but I know painters that get excellent results with them. Like Roger, I use Vallejo for just about every thing but Liquitex is also very popular among face up artists I know.

The best book I've found on the subject is Lynn Winar and Don Kessler's How to Paint Realistic Military Figures. An on-line resource that is helpful is the "how to" section at Vallejo's website: LINK

Vallejo home page: LINK

The big difference between acrylics and oils is that you physically blend oils while acrylics require a layering technique.

Interesting info guys, thank you for sharing. I ordered the book How to paint...
    "I'm so used to being the weirdest guy in the room, over here I am not even in the running" Billy Covington (Robert Downey Jr, Air America)

Thin brushes are also very useful. I now apply my shading pastels with a 10/0 and get far better and more subtle results. I tend to find that less is more.

CHEERS!