A slow death on the eastern front (blood warning)

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: A slow death on the eastern front (blood warning)

A slow death on the eastern front (blood warning)

After finding a legless body ( and a bodyless leg) I made an artilleried figure.
    Everything is DiD except soldat 4 sculpt (repainted) modified DML body, dml boots, cusotm insignia, and HWF helmet & liner

'Only two things are infinite -- the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe.' --Albert Einstein

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I did something similar with a G3.5 Body that lost an arm, maybe ill show mine too.
    Well done, maybe cover the cardboard on the sides a bit better
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel." -

Impressive, but not sure about choice of headsculpt.
    "Other people's illusion of safety does not supersede my human rights." -Gabe Suarez

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great work on the subject, which I think has been done in good taste.
    History repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as farce. - Karl Marx

Wow, I really like it. I agree with yujin, very well done.
    Shelagh

If your mother tells you she loves you, CHECK YOUR SOURCES!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by grizzerr View Post
    Impressive, but not sure about choice of headsculpt.
    I agree. You need the screaming DiD figure headsculpt.

Quote Originally Posted by Krechet View Post
    i would've used it, but it looks way too mad.
    'Only two things are infinite -- the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe.' --Albert Einstein

I think the headsculpt is fine. Perhaps he is in shock now and past the point of screaming.....
    Shelagh

If your mother tells you she loves you, CHECK YOUR SOURCES!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Krechet View Post
    I wouldn't use a screaming HS.... but a horrorified/in shock. The kind of look one would have when the mind is working automatically pulling away without realizing that is his own leg he is looking at.
    "Overkill is underrated"

No not a screamer for sure. You need one with blank expression and 1000yd stare.

Get your paint brushes out!!
    "Other people's illusion of safety does not supersede my human rights." -Gabe Suarez

I'll admit the sculpt isnt perfect. It's ok. It works, kinda

Looks pretty grusome but i like it.

Personally, as I mentioned elsewhere, I find it rather tasteless.

I do not understand the fascination with these types of 1/6 displays. Some will disagree with me, and I accept that. Some will call it artistic expression, etc..

As one who has dealt with the realities of war like this up close and personal, I can tell you that the smell, the sounds never go away , and displays like this serve no real purpose in my eyes. Ever heard another human being screaming in such a way he doesn't even sound human?? Ever tried to stem the flow of lifes blood from another human after his body was torn apart like this?

Just my opinion and my rant for the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Brave Rifles View Post
    Personally, as I mentioned elsewhere, I find it rather tasteless.

I do not understand the fascination with these types of 1/6 displays. Some will disagree with me, and I accept that. Some will call it artistic expression, etc..

As one who has dealt with the realities of war like this up close and personal, I can tell you that the smell, the sounds never go away , and displays like this serve no real purpose in my eyes. Ever heard another human being screaming in such a way he doesn't even sound human?? Ever tried to stem the flow of lifes blood from another human after his body was torn apart like this?

Just my opinion and my rant for the week.
    BR, good rant. I understand some people do not like dioramas like this. I know it is tough for people to get the atrocities of war out of their mind, my old company commander from ROTC just got back from Iraq, he came back different then when he left. I've experience un-human sounds after almost being killed myself in a bad car accident.

all around nice dio

I think the choice of HS is a good one..I agree with SkyDancer it looks like he is in shock and he doesnt belive what happend

Quote Originally Posted by das soldat View Post
    BR, good rant. I understand some people do not like dioramas like this. I know it is tough for people to get the atrocities of war out of their mind, my old company commander from ROTC just got back from Iraq, he came back different then when he left. I've experience un-human sounds after almost being killed myself in a bad car accident.
    Good Richard, then you understand the rant is not against you personally as it could have been taken within the limits of our little electronic world here. Or anyone else for that matter. It is just the whole concept in general.

I have to agree with BR here. I can't see the need or purpose behind dios like this. I recall someone doing something similar, but more gruesome with the DiD screaming head. Modeling how a man looked in battle as a hobby is one thing, but when you push it this far, then it stops being any kind of tribute or memorial or even study, and IMO, crosses into the realm of exploitation. Combined with the debate over which headsculpt would have most accurately captured the pain of such a event, is, IMO, too much. I think that stuff like this almost mocks the sacrifice of those injured in battle, whether friend or enemy.

How would you feel seeing someone meticulously constructing a detailed recreation of the death of someone you knew, in all its bloody detail? What if that huge dio/tribute to Shugart and Gordon, done by a member here, had instead depicted their corpses being dragged through the streets? This hobby does sometimes demand that we turn something of a blind eye to some of the less agreeable events of history, but not so much that we forget, or overlook exactly what war is.

This is not meant as an attack against Das Soldat or anyone else who constructs something similar, just an expression of my opinion.

Sgt.Schultz-
    This is probably the farthest I would ever go on a figure. I wouldnt have somebody dragging a dead soldier through the forest. I had plansa for somethign similer to this figure, but much more toned down.

ouch!

Houston Again! Please let me escape soon @[email protected]
    Interesting and charged display Rich. Must have been a pair of trousers you didn't like either ;P
    For me the first picture was enough, not that the other pictures are bad. It told me this poor trooper's tale and about his dire position.
    Always do your best in everything you do, and live on, happy. - Aya

I can see how some people may not like this diorama but if I might offer a diffrent opinion as someone who has dealt with life and death for several years now....

Dioramas like this are important if done well because it serves as a reminder of the brutalities of war.

I don't think anybody is trying to make a fast buck on this dio or to shock simply for the sake of shocking.

It's an important message that is being delivered.

Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Lazerbeak; 01-27-2008 at 23:16. Reason: spelling

awesome...only it wont be a slow death, a severed femorel artery will bleed you out in just a few short minutes

Like Lazerbeak, the first thought that came to my mind was that das soldat was not so much doing this dio for the sake of shock, or to be sensationalistic. I thought that it was tastefully done because it shows the brutality and horrors of war. And that is the intent of das soldat, judging from his responses.

While it is extremely important to not exploit graphic violence for the sake of shock, profit etc. it is also important, I think, to show war as it is - horrifying, brutal, evil. This is the message that I see coming through in das soldat's dio. It's a fine line to walk I'll admit, and not everyone can pull it off, but I think that das soldat has done it very well. That is why I stated earlier that this dio was done in good taste, in that the intentions of the artist was in no way to shock for the sake of shock, or to exploit, but instead, to convey a message - the brutality of war.

Just my .2 cents.
    History repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as farce. - Karl Marx

Quote Originally Posted by irish70 View Post
    awesome...only it wont be a slow death, a severed femorel artery will bleed you out in just a few short minutes

true, but in a tragic moment (like when I went thruogh that car window) a few minutes take a really long time, or at least it seems that way.

Poor guy.
    Impressive dio, as a work it really evokes sympathies and horror, i think.
    Great choice of headsculpt too
    ''They're pretty. Real pretty. But can they fight?''

I'm always a bit confused when controversy arises from figures or dios like this. This figure is no more graphic than the scores of zombie figures posted on these boards or the 'dead SAS' figure from a while back. The bottom line (at least to me) is that these figures all have one thing in common: they are plastic and not real.

Das Soldat warned about the graphic nature of the dio, so bravo for him. If movies like "Saving Private Ryan" and "Full Metal Jacket" makes people uncomfortable because of the blood and gore, they have the option to not watch. So if figures like this make people upset, they also have the option to not preview the post.

I'm glad the staff here has wisely not decided to remove or delete this figure, for that type of censorship really would be unfortunate.

End of rant/opinion. Please realize, I mean no disrespect to any member of this board when I expressed my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by das soldat View Post
    i would've used it, but it looks way too mad.
    Well of course he is mad,he just got his leg blown off!

I can see where you are coming from now,the shock of it and not believing what has happened to him. In that case,keep it the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by zebraten View Post
    I'm always a bit confused when controversy arises from figures or dios like this. This figure is no more graphic than the scores of zombie figures posted on these boards or the 'dead SAS' figure from a while back. The bottom line (at least to me) is that these figures all have one thing in common: they are plastic and not real.

Das Soldat warned about the graphic nature of the dio, so bravo for him. If movies like "Saving Private Ryan" and "Full Metal Jacket" makes people uncomfortable because of the blood and gore, they have the option to not watch. So if figures like this make people upset, they also have the option to not preview the post.

I'm glad the staff here has wisely not decided to remove or delete this figure, for that type of censorship really would be unfortunate.

End of rant/opinion. Please realize, I mean no disrespect to any member of this board when I expressed my opinion.

Many good points made. I'm sorry if anybody was offended, but that is not my intent. Its the remains of whats left (no pun intended) at the bottom of the loose parts box.
    Last edited by der soldat; 01-28-2008 at 17:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadgh, Stooge! View Post
    Poor guy.
    Impressive dio, as a work it really evokes sympathies and horror, i think.
    Great choice of headsculpt too
    I like the dio, though not crazy about seeing friend or foe like this.It 's what happens in war.Still,on the mark.
    RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!