(Science) Fiction, Fantasy, & Adventure Calling all Star Wars Collectors for Han Solo help

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Calling all Star Wars Collectors for Han Solo help

Question Calling all Star Wars Collectors for Han Solo help

Hello. I've searched the posts, and I've seen a few figures out on eBay for a Han Solo (from the original movie), but has anyone ever put out a truly accurate and good one? It's hard to tell from some of the tiny photos posted on eBay. He and Chewie were my favorite characters from those movies, and aside from the Slave Leia figure I'm currently working on, they are really the only ones I want. From what I've seen, however, Chewie is probably a lost cause.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Calling all Star Wars Collectors for Han Solo help

I'm not an active SW collector.

With that said . . .

When it comes to Hans Solo (classic look based on the first SW film), you got two choices.

The Medicom version and the one from Sideshow.

The head sculpt on the Medicom version (IMHO) looks better. but the Medicom version is criticized for being undersized (not truly 1:6 scale).

The Sideshow version (IMHO) is decent and worthwhile, but compared what's out nowdays, it looks very dated.

As usual check eBay and decide for yourself because it's your hard earned $.

Of course, you can always post the same question in the SW section at the Sideshow Freaks Forum.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
    ~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

Thanks for the info, DFC. I hadn't heard that about the size difference... that's a shame. I wonder if I can find the Medicom head loose, and place it on the SS body... (mmm)

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

SS ANH Han still has a great presence on the shelf. A professional repaint wouldn't hurt -- but I'm plenty pleased with him as-is.

Here's my upgraded ANH Han, nothing too complicated. Body is a True Type clone, boots are HT Hans Landa (DiD German officer boots would do). Blaster pistol is from the HT Bespin Luke. The only real work involved was making it a neckless head. As it was solid inside, i just drilled into it and dremeled out a space for the neck.

The paintjob on the headsculpt is poor by today's standards, but i'm planning to replace it in future. The forthcoming Sideshow exclusive Hoth Solo has an unmasked head which i'm hoping to pick up loose.

Thanks for the photos, guys. That is really helpful. The Hoth Solo looks great, but HF had changed a bit from the first movie to the second, even character wise. I liked the cocky, self-assured wise-... in the first movie, more than in the sequels. Too bad there isn't a HS of him with a little bit of a smirk.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine boy View Post
    Here's my upgraded ANH Han, nothing too complicated. Body is a True Type clone, boots are HT Hans Landa (DiD German officer boots would do). Blaster pistol is from the HT Bespin Luke. The only real work involved was making it a neckless head. As it was solid inside, i just drilled into it and dremeled out a space for the neck.

The paintjob on the headsculpt is poor by today's standards, but i'm planning to replace it in future. The forthcoming Sideshow exclusive Hoth Solo has an unmasked head which i'm hoping to pick up loose.
    Isn't that the head that came with the Han and Luke Stormtrooper double pack!? It doesn't look like I remember the old Smuggler sculpt looking.

CHEERS!

The Han head that came with the double pack has a different expression. I prefer the original one, but it's nice to have a choice.

More pictures of the set from this thread:

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...-disguise.html

The double pack is very rare nowadays and costs a bundle. I picked up my smuggler Han super cheap, as it was unboxed and was missing some parts: the stand, both blasters and some of the hands.

Sideshow Smuggler Han is the best if you are going for the look from A New Hope. Aside from the paint applications that is.

I think the head from the Gentle Giant mini busts was pretty good too, but it might be a bit under scaled for what you want.

All the other options have been mentioned.

I see now,

That's the best I've seen that head look.

CHEERS!

Pop over to Sideshow Freaks, i don't know if Mando has any of his Han heads left but they are the best likeness because the face is HT Indiana Jones with a Bespin Han wig.

Quote Originally Posted by cdn_rhino View Post
    Sideshow Smuggler Han is the best if you are going for the look from A New Hope. Aside from the paint applications that is.
    Thanks, that's kinda what I was thinking, too. Too bad SS doesn't revisit the first movie and update some of those figures with better sculpts (like they're doing now) and better paint apps. Does their Smuggler Han have a neck, or is it like the newer sculpts that don't have one? I'm thinking of swapping it out with the Hoth HS if I can pick one up loose.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    Pop over to Sideshow Freaks, i don't know if Mando has any of his Han heads left but they are the best likeness because the face is HT Indiana Jones with a Bespin Han wig.
    Cool. I'll search for that. Thanks.

Edit: he sold out. Bummer. That HS looked great.

I still think the Medicom Han Solo and the Sideshow Han in Stormtrooper outfit came with the best sculpts to date. By today's standards they look awfully cartoonish and goofy but at the time they were quite good. The Medicom still has a kind of unique charm to it.