MAD MAX: works in progress

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAD MAX: works in progress

MAD MAX: works in progress

hello everyone, new to the forum.

wanted to show you guys something i've been working on since the beginning of summer.

three versions of mad max.
    all are works in progress.
    sorry for the bad pics.

Max Mad #1:

- head painted by pacobird here on the forums.

- includes accessories from the film, such as the hacksaw, bubba zenetti's gun, plus some other post-apocalypse gear,
    there is still a bunch i'm trying to find.

this figure is only about 40% done, the jacket needs a lot more mods etc.

Mad Max from ROAD WARRIOR and THUNDERDOME

sorry for the blurry pictures again.

ROAD WARRIOR obviously is missing his belt plus some other accessories, and the big one, their jackets!

THUNDERDOME MAX has some placeholder clothes, missing some of the main accessories like the jacket, the cloak,
    turban, whistle, etc.

both need some more serious serious paintwork. i feel they're about 25% done.
    suggestions welcome.
    thanks for your time.
    Last edited by Flaccid Eagle; 09-20-2007 at 18:50. Reason: retitled- and fixed spelling

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

very cool

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm only seeing question marks...

NIce start! Keep up the good woks and post pics as you go. Welcome aboard!
    THEOCBubba

Do not follow where the path may lead.
    Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Some very cool stuff you've got going there. Please keep us updated.

You're doing a heckuva job.

Welcome!

A great start on your Maxes. That first one is looking great. Back in the day they made some 1/6 GI. Joe football figures (Army/ Navy). They have the body armor you need to finish up your Max faction.
    got privilege?

Excellent Start. Mad Max Rules.

"You'll be back Rockatansky"

Welcome. Very cool figs you have started.
    I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride. Wanted, Dead or Alive.

Excellent work Eagle! I`ve got my Max finished, but still on a JOE figure. I`ve been waiting for the "perfect" Mel head sculpt. He seems to be a pretty tough likeness to capture. Welcome to OSW!
    ~MERK..."Deeds Speak!"

Trade List

Sweet, Mad Max is another movie fav.

Oh and welcome to OSW.

Welcome to the board, I especially like the first Max.
    "Other people's illusion of safety does not supersede my human rights." -Gabe Suarez

Welcome to the forum. It's nice to see how you used the Mad Max head you bought from me. Your figures look great so far. I also like all the accessories you put together to make them film accurate.

Welcome my friend! Looking great so far!

Quote Originally Posted by pacobird
    Welcome to the forum. It's nice to see how you used the Mad Max head you bought from me. Your figures look great so far. I also like all the accessories you put together to make them film accurate.
    thanks again for the excellent paintwork. and your praise!

it's still a work in progress. i'll post more as it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by KneeJoint
    Welcome!

A great start on your Maxes. That first one is looking great. Back in the day they made some 1/6 GI. Joe football figures (Army/ Navy). They have the body armor you need to finish up your Max faction.
    thanks for the hint! way cool!

Nice work there. And an undertaking doing all three Maxes!

If you haven't already, you should REALLY check out here: http://www.madmaxmovies.com/

Mad Max
    Don't forget the shoulder holster for the revolver!
    It's under his left arm pit. I built one for a custom MFP I'm working on...

The Road Warrior/Mad Max 2
    To get an idea what's on the belt, check out here: http://www.madmaxcostumes.com/C2/max.htm

Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
    Max has two different boots for this one; one of them being a cowboy boot in black.

Keep up the great work.
    MAIN FORCE PATROL - Giving the People BACK their Heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy of AFTIMES
    Nice work there. And an undertaking doing all three Maxes!
    thanks so much Randy! love AFTIMES!

and thanks so much to all who commented. been lurking here for a while, and i know you guys are pretty tough (but fair!) judges.

i really love all three films, and was hoping to buy a custom Max from somebody, but the big issue was movie accurate- max1 head on a max2 body/costume, wrong boots, bad paint, etc. so i decided to go for it on my own.

what i thought was going to take over a year (finding parts!) has come together in only 3 months!

Mad Max
    Don't forget the shoulder holster for the revolver!
    It's under his left arm pit. I built one for a custom MFP I'm working on...
    didn't forget the holster, i already have a pistol for it... just trying to find "the perfect one" that matches the screen and jacket fit.

starting the jacket this weekend.

The Road Warrior/Mad Max 2
    To get an idea what's on the belt, check out here: http://www.madmaxcostumes.com/C2/max.htm
    thanks man, yup, got that covered too. found a bunch of pieces, now it's just putting it all together.

scratch-making holsters and straps from BBI pleather jackets.

anyone have ideas where i can find a 1/6 wwii british issue folding-knife? they are grey and similar to a Swiss army knife. i know Dragon has had to do one at some point...

Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
    Max has two different boots for this one; one of them being a cowboy boot in black.
    ...trying to find a pair of cowboy boots that matches the quality "engineer" boots i already found. easy find for cygirls, not for male... repeated watching of the film shows that max's black clothes from THUNDERDOME are really faded and have a grey, dusty weathering to them, so they will probably be a lot of dying and work there.

--------------------------------

some parts i'm still trying to find, any hints via PM would be helpful:
    - the BRAVEHEART resin scupt that has been floating around ebay this spring: can't find one that is painted without the BH facepaint... i can do some light painting, like hair and some details, but i can't paint a sculpt from scratch and get awesome results like Pacobird. my hands shake too much for eye detail work, without braces and magnification.
    that's why THUNDERDOME MAX is short-haired.

- trying to find a nice cut biker jacket, without the ties on the side. any suggestions?

- a turban. i've been looking around but have had no luck.

- the metal leg brace. to make a screen accurate i need to find an orthopedic leg brace, as well as a 1/6 scale Ford Pick-Up Truck model kit for its tailgate bars & joints. ideas??

--------------------------------------

i'm also working on a Clint Eastwood MAN WITH NO NAME, and a Zombie Survivor/Hunter. both are nowhere near photo-ready at this point.

Very nice ! I can't wait to see more !

Welcome to OSW, Eagle! That first Max looks really good, so far.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

i'll have some more pictures of WIP Max tomorrow.

Welcome to the forum and wow what a great Mad Max! Cant wait to see more pics! Awesome figure and one hell of a great movie as well!
    -mike-

Wow, that looks pretty good.

You also need the brace on one of them...

Nice bash to start with. s

Is the first Max wearing customised boots? They look good.

Quote Originally Posted by KneeJoint
    Welcome!

There have been the USC and Ohio State football players as well that might be a lot easier to find.

Welcome aboard!
    "I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir." Private Dexter Grif, Red Army, Red vs. Blue
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

sorry to say "im posting pics!" and then disapear, i decided to wait on taking the pictures until some new pieces i ordered come in next week. there's been some improvements!

i was hoping to make a GOOSE figure as well but it's impossible to find a good headsculpt that looks like the actor, or a nice motorcycle helmet. I actually started making his pants and uniform but i had to stop. so now i have a pair of customized leather pants with kneepads but no figure to put them on. What makes it worse is i wasn't paying attention to what pants i was using and used the wrong ones, effectively trashing a very hard to find pair of pants!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Mike
    Welcome to the forum and wow what a great Mad Max! Cant wait to see more pics! Awesome figure and one hell of a great movie as well!
    -mike-
    thanks mike! hopefully i will have new pictures at the end of next week.

quick updates on these guys:

MAD MAX 1:
    - adding more accurate t-shirt, new sunglasses, MFP jacket is done, shoulder holster by Stevo, some better accessories... just need a shotgun holster, and its all done!!!

MAD MAX 2:
    - working on the jacket, i just need to paint and put the shoulder pad together. the brace needs new straps. got a new sweet sweet head from Pacobird, need the belt & pouches...

MAD MAX 3:
    - need the turban, the belt/ammo suspenders, holster. needs some dye work and painting.

Quote Originally Posted by mikoyan29
    Wow, that looks pretty good.

You also need the brace on one of them...

thanks so much! already have something for the brace. extensive research into 1/6 car model kits shows that i'm not going to find the 70's Ford pickup truck tailgate hinges used in the film, so i've got something that will work much better - it needs to have the metal cut and grinded, and i have to make new straps for the legs.

the big question most MM fans have is, "what is Max's left kneepad?" most hardcore fans can't find out what it is, but i think i've figured it out- a WWII Nazi Winter Kneepad mounted onto a normal kneecap plate- possibly even mounted onto a shoulderpad from his old MFP jacket!

so i'll probably pull one cap off of the GOOSE's pants and use these for Road Warrior Max.

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfu_Husky
    Nice bash to start with. s

Is the first Max wearing customised boots? They look good.

thanks so much!!!
    actually a super hard bash to start with!

the boots are semi-customized, they feel like real leather but i don't know. The only 100% screen accurate boots around are for a female figure and won't fit onto any male body's feet (even with no feet on the body they look way too small for a man)- these ones i'm using look really good, they're sweet.

i decided with this project that there was no way i was going to be able to get "100% screen accurate" look unless i was sewing everything myself, and it would take 10 years to complete, so i went for the theory that "if it looks good, and is good quality, then its good." But i've been pretty disapointed by most of the Max figures and gear i see on ebay or online- so i wanted to do a as-close-to-screen-as-i-can-get set of figures.

i could sit here and nit-pick all the little details (jacket style is wrong, boot loops don't go all the way around, the cut of the jeans, etc) but if it looks good, and its fun, then where's the harm?

it's funny, i started the 1st max bash months ago, and i'm actually closer to finishing a MAN WITH NO NAME bash (need boots, any ideas???) and (pretty much) finished w/ two "zombie apocalypse" survivors. thinking about starting another bash (a zombie!)

oh, and can any of you help, or offer advice?

- what type of PAINT is good to use on a BBI head? Tamiya paints? just to add highlights. most recommendations on the board are for resin or metal. a recommended non-gloss sealer? also using the same paints to paint some thick plastic/vinyl parts...

- what type of DYE is good to use, without it rubbing off onto the figure??? if i use magic marker, will it rub off onto the figure? i have a robe i'd like to dye black. used magic marker on part of it and i like the color that technique produces, but i'm afraid it'll rub off on the figure (a BBI body with bendy arms)- techniques are mentioned in other posts but not good brand names.

like the first one
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

March 07 Update:

Since i killed the WIP photos by accident yesterday, i figured i'd post a long overdue update.

MAD MAX from the 1st film is almost done.

Still trying to get a shotgun holster as well as a nice nightstick, and I may change out the shoulder holster. Parts are: Dragon, Saturday Toys, BBI, Ultimate Soldier, Yellow Submarine, Hot Toys...

custom head from PACOBIRD, thanks again for your excellent work.

and the holster is from STEVE CORN.

I did up the boots and jacket.

Max has the hacksaw and lighter he uses to teach Johnny The Boy a lesson at the end of the film, Bubba Zenetti's Mauser and case, pump shotgun, handcuffs, and the closest glasses I could find to the film.

My goal for this project as it's moved on is more on quality durable materials and construction over perfect screen-accuracy. For example: I found some awesome boots that seemed 100% screen accurate, but when they were on his body they were just too big. Plus they were plastic, and I prefered the leather type. Just looked so much classier.

This is my 1st bash.

The other 2 figures are on hold as i try to find parts, and construct the jackets and gear.

cheers everyone

Great job man !!!

Where did you get the sawed-off shotgun...
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."