How many of us/you feel your 1:6 skill/talent is "hireable"?

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: How many of us/you feel your 1:6 skill/talent is "hireable"?

How many of us/you feel your 1:6 skill/talent is "hireable"?

See subject.

How many of us/you absolutely feel your 1:6 skill/talent is absolutely considered hireable by a 1:6 company/manufacturer?

Seriously.

Do some of us/you feel we/you have the actual credibility & proven track record to be actually hireable by a 1:6 company/manufacturer?

Do some of us/you feel you have the legitimate right to boast & say that a 1:6 company should hire you?

Granted, there is a bit of egotism stroking given this topic, but would any of you find it off putting if someone boasts such a belief/statement where the output does not warrant such a belief/statement?
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
    ~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: How many of us/you feel your 1:6 skill/talent is "hireable"?

Hire you to do what exactly? Kit- bash figures?

The figures are assembled in China, by people making $2 a day......seriously, would YOU want to be hired to do that?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by onesixthpolice View Post
    Hire you to do what exactly? Kit- bash figures?

The figures are assembled in China, by people making $2 a day......seriously, would YOU want to be hired to do that?
    I believe he means the ability to do custom work, ie: sculpting and design skills.

Well my design skills are fairly good but my hs sculpting skills need a lot more practice, however other members are good enough IMO, and some have moved on to work for companies either in one off projects or as part time sculptors.
    pukingdog: What I like about your build threads, is that they start out like chaotic car wreck footage, which morphs into great figures. Your style is fearless.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There are obiously several folks here that work/advise some of the manufacturers & or distributors.

I have purchased a custom figure, from a forum member, who I consider to be worthy to make the above mentioned claims.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelchop81 View Post
    I believe he means the ability to do custom work, ie: sculpting and design skills.

Well my design skills are fairly good but my hs sculpting skills need a lot more practice, however other members are good enough IMO, and some have moved on to work for companies either in one off projects or as part time sculptors.
    I'd suggest a figure is not completely designed & built by one individual artist. As in life, some folks are better at different tasks, but most are not good at all. Use the talent pool where it can best be utilised. If an individual can sculpt a wicked HS, that's where I'd be marketing that person. Pointless having his talents wasted on design, research, sewing etc. Different strokes, different folks.

Although not I.. There are certainly a few Cats here on the Board I'd consider worthy and definitely deem 1st Round draft Pic's if I had a 1:6 Co. Calvin Lo, Sir Eaton Flip Flop, Tony M.[tailor] AFM my mentor and former member Royalwithcheese, 8bit is master of that Zombi genre Skiman.. Just to name a few. I'd hire any the aforementioned with confidence.. I'd put C-lo and Mike[S.E.F.F] in Charge of my R & D dept. and put 8bit and Skiman in charge of over seeing Sculpting and paint application.. A dream team in deed. And these are just a few Cats off the top of my head. We have some very Talented Cats here on the Board capable of Declaring themselves as Top Guns for hire.
    " Take care of Business, Or the Business will take care of you.. "

Haha oh mercy, no way.
    The most I do is weather and customize. I don't get much more in-depth than that.

I've done a couple commissions for some friends, but that's as close as I've come to being paid for this kind of work.

There are plenty of individuals here that could, as almost all 1/6 vendors are small businesses that can benefit from skilled craftsmen or researchers. There are many military members past or present who know a great deal more than vendors who have to rely on reference photos and various military forums. There are many with retail, marketing and sales experience at levels which vendors do not have, etc. There are many with design and artistic abilities, and so on.

The more interesting question would be how many vendors have the margin and free cash flow to pay individuals at a rate that is on par with the time investment required to yield the desired improvement in product design and sales? Hot Toys has shown that they do, but with the price tags to reflect that.

Generally speaking, its far more cost effective to outsource as they do in an environment where labor costs are still artificially low, ie there is no point in even designing many parts when it's relatively cheap to get a vertically integrated company to do the cad design/cnc moulds as part of the production services they offer. This is clearly illustrated where you have a company that gets a 3d scan done of an airsoft item and has a prototype done within hours that is suitable for production with minor tweaks.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes Soon.

I was making money with these skills long before I got into 1/6 , so yes .
    "Its a space peanut"

no! but with practice maybe!
    Hail Cobra!

I know one here with remarkable skills mostly with metals- FULLMETAL, and another with awesome skills in miniaturizing a lot of medical stuff- ELFBAIT. These guys are just awesome.