Painted Longbow Tom Hanks Capt. Miller #2--more pics

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Painted Longbow Tom Hanks Capt. Miller #2--more pics

Painted Longbow Tom Hanks Capt. Miller #2--more pics

Here's my second try at painting Longbow's Tom Hanks as Capt. Miller. The eyes look a little lighter and more hazel green than my first one. It depends on how the light reflects on the eyes as is apparent in the two pictures--the first looks less brown than the second. I think I'll go a little lighter and more green on the eyes for #3. Hopefully, they won't be too green and start looking reptilian. Also, the hair could be a touch darker. I bought several of these sculpts so I guess I'll keep trying until I get it right.

I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but this casting seems to be a tiny bit bigger and fuller than the other one I painted.

Last edited by pacobird; 07-07-2007 at 06:46.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Very nice, once again, pacobird!!! That sculpt does look a bit fuller than the first. Hmmm, maybe Longbow, fixed up the sculpt before the latest round of casts.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Very nicely done!
    ''It is man's perdition to be safe when he ought to die for
    the truth"

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Was your sculpt done in a white or grey resin when you received it? Also if it came in a grey did you use a primer or just paint right over it.

The sculpt came in a gray resin. I was impressed with its uniformity and lack of air bubbles, which made it easy to paint with very little prep. I use a primer over the gray resin to start and then applied a base coat.

As for the variation in size which is extremely minute, I think it's just due to the casting process--perhaps how the resin cures. I haven't done any casting so perhaps some of you who do can shed some light on this.

I was very impressed with Longbow Studios first release--great sculpt, high quality casting and professional customer service. Bravo!

Beautifully done!

It's a really nice job, but, now I can see the painted sculpt on it's own I can sort of see what people meant by the fact that some of the features do seem a little exaggerated. The nose and mouth do seem a little large. You tended not to notice this when the head was mounted, but in close up, the way you have him lit, you can see things that I perhaps missed before.

It is a great piece though and your paintjob definitely brings it to life. This does actually bode rather well for their next release though, which is Daniel Craig, as they are likely to have taken any issues on board and will pull out the stops on the next head. We shall see.

On the whole, great work

CHEERS!