Product Announcement [soldierstory]82nd AIRBORNE DIVISION NORMANDY 1944 - Page 3

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: [soldierstory]82nd AIRBORNE DIVISION NORMANDY 1944

Re: [soldierstory]82nd AIRBORNE DIVISION NORMANDY 1944

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Oppl View Post
    Absolutely amazing. Definite purchase. Great for those who missed out on McNiece to get a great Normandy para.

But SS PLEASE include instructions on how to assemble the parachute gear. Not all of us are experts.
    Would this page help you about how to assemble the parachute?

http://www.johkaz.co.uk/jeb.html

Gary

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

a way better version of DML Sgt Danny MacMillan combined with a McNiece mohawk pathfinder hairdo.

Just a few points...

Didn't some Canadian paratroopers have 'mohawks' on D-Day? The 3 cell magazine pouch is shown in Osprey's U.S. Paratrooper book?

Overall it seems a mish-mash of parts already produced with a new sculpt, but it does remind me of a character in Saints and Soldiers: Airborne Creed, but that was set during Operation Dragoon.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

An excellent release!
    I, too, had to chuckle at the mohawk, but with all the fine gear who cares

At least if you leave the helmet on, nobody will notice the mohawk anyway.....
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

At least the head is the right size on this one... I have the SS Airborne Medic, and his head is crazy tiny!

Helmet looks wrong to me, not sure why just does, is it the scale, would want to put a DiD pot on instead.

Looks like an ok figure, if it had been a path finder it would of made it harder to pass up, but I can live without this, prefer the medic.
    I pose dollies, we take pics!
    www.vonabt.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    The 3 cell magazine pouch is shown in Osprey's U.S. Paratrooper book?
    They are wrong, only the USMC had a 3 cell mag pouch for the Thompson. The US Army issued a shoulder bag that held 5x30rnd mags. (The 101st Bastogne figure came with this bag)

Meh, it's OK. I'm still on the fence, depending on how much this would cost.
    Not too exciting, but overall it looks good as for kitbash potentials.
    Headsculpt can have multiple use even with the mohawk- he can be used for De Niro's Taxi Driver, or a modern SF dude.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over accuracy of pouches and helmets... hundreds of men going to battle there's a chance many of them could've deferred to their 'personal choices' of gear wear and equipment for practical reasons. Standardization normally goes out of the window, even the quartermasters have to employ field expediency. There's more reference sources out there, not just Osprey books.

Quote Originally Posted by onesixthpolice View Post
    Why else would they post dozens of photos......of everything except the pistol.....?

And the Mohawk haircut was only 101st Airborne, wasn't it? Any way, too bad the headsculpt has one at all......pretty much limits it's use for much else.....

As for "re-hashing".....when everything's already been done for WWII Airborne troops, how do you put a release together that's not a re-hash?
    Well, not quite 'everything'... if one's interest goes beyond Normandy and Band Of Brothers.

U.S. paratroops in the Pacific especially hardbitten outfits like the 503rd PRCT have uniforms and gears that are particular in that theatre, haven't been done yet by either DID or SS. A Pacific para with SCR-300 main radio set, with a hi-top canvas jungle boots? Not holding my breath for that one...

As far as rehash, I agree from a business point of view it's understandable for SS to re-use excess parts and fabric from previous releases.

Overall the figure looks good and there was a time we would have
    Killed for this figure ....

Cya
    Hankster
    Jupiter, Fla

They should do a faux WWII Cap America, kinda like the FBI CIRG that can easily be changed into a S.H.I.E.L.D. soldier.

oooooooohh Coke bottles and a new Thompson. Sweet.

Another 101st, but looks pretty good. Very nice HS but limited use, a Guarnere or Joe Toya would have been fantastic.

A nice figure, but with some inaccuracies and oversights. One that hasn't been mentioned is the demo kit. They gave him a hand detonator and bricks of TNT explosive but no det cord or impulse cable to connect the two. And other manufacturers have left this out on similar releases in the past.
    In life it's not what you want, it's what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by El Paso Trooper View Post
    They gave him a hand detonator and bricks of TNT explosive but no det cord or impulse cable to connect the two. And other manufacturers have left this out on similar releases in the past.
    Well they've gotta give us something to do, don't they?

New WW II Figure SS

Cool looking figure but I wish they would come up with something different.
    Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere.”
    Albert Einstein

Re: New WW II Figure SS

There's already a tread about this Release!

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...dy-1944-a.html

everything is probably already been pointed out already, looks more like a 101st than 82nd and all that jazz, but besides that it does have some nice parts and and makes a pretty good squad builder, if anyone can afford to do that these days.

there was just one tiny thing that bugged me and that had more to do with one of the post in the threads.

Quote Originally Posted by justin_g View Post
    they look more like Korean War era M1948 russet combat boots than WW2 jump boots.

they may be rough looking and not pop in the front as well as other jump boot releases from other companies, but when compared to be all newline miniatures release they are more accurate. it's in fact the newline boots that look like russet boots, from the incorrect sole they use to the incorrect stitching in the back of the boot,

Re: New WW II Figure SS

Quote Originally Posted by Von Luger View Post
    There's already a tread about this Release!

https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...dy-1944-a.html
    Hate to tell you...but this is that thread!
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Hate to tell you...but this is that thread!
    OSP

That is because i merged the threads...
    " and just what would you do with a Brain, if you had one"? "Prince, harley....come on....Cooper you are such a goofball
    My Photo Album:
    http://s164.photobucket.com/user/cru...?sort=3&page=1

Great....now I look like a dummy......

Quote Originally Posted by blackadam View Post
    they may be rough looking and not pop in the front as well as other jump boot releases from other companies, but when compared to be all newline miniatures release they are more accurate. it's in fact the newline boots that look like russet boots, from the incorrect sole they use to the incorrect stitching in the back of the boot,
    You are correct - the Newline boots are actually most like russet combat boots and not WW2 jump boots at all. I prefer the SS jump boots from the Jake McNiece or 82nd Medic figure which have the correct heel style and 2-piece soles.

For some reason though, SS has decided to change the jump boots on this figure. If they look a bit more like russet combat boots that isn't an entirely bad thing, because they can be used for Korean War figures.

Does anyone have any intel on when this is going to be released? Im guessing around june for the D Day anniversary but???

Being an 82nd guy It's annoying to see him with a 101 only hair cut and uniform and worse Jar head gear . I agree with the others who say that many other countries could have been dun, a Polish Para as Gen. Sobioski as played by Gean Hackman would have captured my attention and money.

what???? a mohawk hair cut on a 82nd AB????? do more research. even thou the gears are nice but.........

Correct me if I am wrong. I think the main chute was only used after Normandy. I have a similar chute which came with my BBI 101 medic which took part in the drop during Market Garden. The emergency chute looks very similar to BBI.

Looks like SS did not do enough studies in militaria. They got it wrong on the Korean War 2nd Infantry. Someone pointed that the parka is marine issue. Also the guy should be wearing something more appropriate like Mickey Mouse boots or shoe pacs instead of double bucket boot. Also the guy has a marine medic pouch. SS has to be careful with the equipment choice. But I still like their quality.

Quote Originally Posted by HOWITZER105MM View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong. I think the main chute was only used after Normandy. I have a similar chute which came with my BBI 101 medic which took part in the drop during Market Garden. The emergency chute looks very similar to BBI.
    The main chute is the right one for Normandy its the T5 chute, after Normandy they isued a modified version of the T5 with a quick release buckle on the chest or the T7 chute, the reserve chute he's wearing is the bulk standard that most 1/6th companies seem to churn out, the best reserve chute were the dragon ones that came with soldat No 2 .

Quote Originally Posted by muzzer View Post
    The main chute is the right one for Normandy its the T5 chute, after Normandy they isued a modified version of the T5 with a quick release buckle on the chest or the T7 chute, the reserve chute he's wearing is the bulk standard that most 1/6th companies seem to churn out, the best reserve chute were the dragon ones that came with soldat No 2 .
    Thank you mate for the intel.

Monkeydepot's price is $135.99

LINK: http://www.monkeydepot.com/Soldier_S...4_p/ss0075.htm