"Price" & "Quality" within the hobby . . .

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: "Price" & "Quality" within the hobby . . .

"Price" & "Quality" within the hobby . . .

See subject.

There is a paradigm & parallel when it comes to price & quality within our hobby.

Below is a quote from a fellow member in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    And when VH catches up quality wise, they will increase their price to match SS n DAM. Just like how DAM catches up so quickly in terms of price.

As much we complain about prices nowadays compared to days gone by, some of still choose to selectively acquire what we need & want.

There have been many times when we paid higher prices for items that we not up to the quality standards for the paid price. There have been instances where we received surprisingly superiority quality for items that we paid an average to low price. There have been times when the price paid and the quality of the item was consistent.

Based on offerings nowadays, is price and quality for the most part equal or is there still a noticeable gap between the two?

As an example, we can all generally agree VERY HOT TOYS is notoriously or purposely known for subpar to average quality on virtually all of their offerings; yet, they continued to produce new offerings with instances of improving quality. If & when their quality does significantly improve, will they then start to charge more due to the increase quality? This question can & will apply to virtually all manufacturers.

Have we seen definitive examples of where increased quality justified an increased price? Would you consider HOT TOYS to be such an example given their “beginnings” & “roots” within the 1:6 hobby and how they evolved into the company they are now?

Have we seen definitive examples of where decreased/inconsistent quality did not justify an increased price, but the manufacturer continued to increase price on their offerings?

If 21STCT came back into the scene, would we “demand” & “expect” to see either quality of the same consistency where they left off at the same prices (i.e. $29.99 MSRP for a boxed figure & $12.99 to $14.99 MSRP for carded accessories/weapons/uniforms sets) or would be “demanding” & “expecting” to see higher quality for the same price or would we receptive to higher prices for the same level of quality due to the fact no one else is doing what they’re doing?

1:6 food for discussion & thought.
    "Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
    ~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: "Price" & "Quality" within the hobby . . .

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaForceChung View Post
    Based on offerings nowadays, is price and quality for the most part equal or is there still a noticeable gap between the two?
    IMHO there's no gap between the two. With SS and DAM, I think we're basically getting the DX (to borrow the word from HT) treatment to our military figures, sans the PERS eyes. There's probably price gouging due to strong brand name like Soldier Story but that's retailers' (and also probably consumers') fault.

As an example, we can all generally agree VERY HOT TOYS is notoriously or purposely known for subpar to average quality on virtually all of their offerings; yet, they continued to produce new offerings with instances of improving quality. If & when their quality does significantly improve, will they then start to charge more due to the increase quality? This question can & will apply to virtually all manufacturers.
    I believe they will, quality comes with a price and it ain't cheap.

Have we seen definitive examples of where increased quality justified an increased price? Would you consider HOT TOYS to be such an example given their “beginnings” & “roots” within the 1:6 hobby and how they evolved into the company they are now?
    HT is now making so many movie figures with so many different designs and at such a consistently top quality, I'd say their price increase is justified though for the life of me I can't figure out why the US prices are so much more expensive than Asian prices.

Have we seen definitive examples of where decreased/inconsistent quality did not justify an increased price, but the manufacturer continued to increase price on their offerings?
    Sideshow comes to mind. VeryHot in my books is still in this level.

If 21STCT came back into the scene, would we “demand” & “expect” to see either quality of the same consistency where they left off at the same prices (i.e. $29.99 MSRP for a boxed figure & $12.99 to $14.99 MSRP for carded accessories/weapons/uniforms sets) or would be “demanding” & “expecting” to see higher quality for the same price or would we receptive to higher prices for the same level of quality due to the fact no one else is doing what they’re doing?
    At their past level, they'll probably charge lower price but I doubt it's gonna be as cheap as it used to be. Inflation has a bit of hand in the current price increase.

Re: "Price" & "Quality" within the hobby . . .

Quote Originally Posted by doly View Post
    HT is now making so many movie figures with so many different designs and at such a consistently top quality, I'd say their price increase is justified though for the life of me I can't figure out why the US prices are so much more expensive than Asian prices.
    Two reasons - Sideshow - distributor will take a cut and USD fx hedge. Just wait till the USD gets devalued in the coming months and then we'll really see people freak out about prices.
    Something Wicked This Way Comes Soon.