General News 1/6 Scale at Toy Fair 2013

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: 1/6 Scale at Toy Fair 2013

1/6 Scale at Toy Fair 2013

I got to attend Toy Fair 2013 as press this year for Toonzone.net, and while I was focusing mostly on stuff with an animation-related tie-in (or stuff I thought was too cool to ignore), I kept a lookout for 1/6 stuff. Unfortunately, there wasn't much of it -- the show is really geared towards general retail and for the buyers and the industry rather than for consumers, and 1/6 just doesn't have a lot of inroads there. Still, I did catch Merit International's booth and YesAnime.com had the 1/6 Super Alloy die-cast Batman figure on display, too. Very cool dudes at both locations, and I had a quick chat with the Merit rep about Phicen bodies after catching sight of their "jungle girl" display.

I've attached some photos from both booths and you can see the rest on the report that has all the 1/6 scale in it (and some amazingly cool Bruce Lee collectibles). Hit the rest of my Toy Fair coverage for other stuff I caught there, including neat Adventure Time stuff, cool high-end anime collectibles, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles out the wazoo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1/6 Scale at Toy Fair 2013-toonzonetoyfair2013-9-jpg   1/6 Scale at Toy Fair 2013-toonzonetoyfair2013-70-jpg   1/6 Scale at Toy Fair 2013-toonzonetoyfair2013-75-jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: 1/6 Scale at Toy Fair 2013

The bunching on Phicen's left shoulder looks horrible but the quality of their headsculpt seems to have improved.
    I wonder if the makers of seamless bodies will ever be able solve the skin bunching problems that spoil their looks?

But I bet the "Planet of the Apes" fans will go bananas for her chimp friend.

Quote Originally Posted by edwick View Post
    I got to attend Toy Fair 2013 as press this year for Toonzone.net, and while I was focusing mostly on stuff with an animation-related tie-in (or stuff I thought was too cool to ignore), I kept a lookout for 1/6 stuff. Unfortunately, there wasn't much of it -- the show is really geared towards general retail and for the buyers and the industry rather than for consumers, and 1/6 just doesn't have a lot of inroads there. Still, I did catch Merit International's booth and YesAnime.com had the 1/6 Super Alloy die-cast Batman figure on display, too. Very cool dudes at both locations, and I had a quick chat with the Merit rep about Phicen bodies after catching sight of their "jungle girl" display.

I've attached some photos from both booths and you can see the rest on the report that has all the 1/6 scale in it (and some amazingly cool Bruce Lee collectibles). Hit the rest of my Toy Fair coverage for other stuff I caught there, including neat Adventure Time stuff, cool high-end anime collectibles, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles out the wazoo.
    Thanks for the excellent reporting and pics. I've been through Michael Crawford's as well which is extensive (though for some reason, Hasbro fell off his list and never reappeared again). Sadly it really emphasizes how completely 1/6 has lost any foothold whatsoever in the retail environment where anyone hopes to get $ from mothers and sons, local purchasers, and from either Target Walmart TRUs, or anyone going to them.

Hasbro did show a 12" Sonic Blasting Iron Man that could go at the back third row of someone's Hall of Armor, but that's about it, and I saw this morning my local TRU already has it so it isn't news.

I was really hoping for some news maybe on Captain Action but it looks like all they showed was figures I already have plus cardboard mock-ups of Iron Man Wolverine and Batman that we've already seen. I don't know if it was a reveal at Toy Fair 2013, but it's been shown their DC BaF is Aquaman. Did you happen to talk to anyone at the Round2 booth, and maybe was there any verbal 1/6 CA news from those guys (given their booth pics don't show us anything new)?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    The bunching on Phicen's left shoulder looks horrible but the quality of their headsculpt seems to have improved.
    I wonder if the makers of seamless bodies will ever be able solve the skin bunching problems that spoil their looks?
    Well, that is the last-round small-bust that came out about a year ago. I think the newer medium-busted bodies do better with shoulder-bunching on average, at least in the neutral position. Once you push the arm too high or rotate it too far forward, you'll still get some pretty ugly bunching.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase Alpha Male View Post
    Did you happen to talk to anyone at the Round2 booth, and maybe was there any verbal 1/6 CA news from those guys (given their booth pics don't show us anything new)?
    Sorry, I don't remember seeing a Round2 booth. I kind of walked in and started combing aisles looking for interesting stuff, so it's possible I walked right by them and never realized.

Quote Originally Posted by edwick View Post
    Sorry, I don't remember seeing a Round2 booth. I kind of walked in and started combing aisles looking for interesting stuff, so it's possible I walked right by them and never realized.
    Thanks. If anyone's interested, I found a link that addresses Captain Action's presence at Toy Fair 2013. As I guessed to be possible, while they didn't actually display anything new, there was information verbally conveyed, particularly:

- more details on Iron Man including removable faceplate (2 faceplates in the Deluxe)
    - Mission 013 is an updated version of the Classic Captain Action Costume
    - there will be a bare bones cheaper version of the body to fill costumes with ()
    - Aquaman Build-a-Costume needs only 3 purchases (Batman Superman Joker) and not 6 ()

Lady Action is the next possible figure with maybe resulting Wonder Woman, 70s Ms. Marvel, Black Widow, or Gwen Stacy. Action Boy might be next. Rocketeer isn't happening any time soon, but potentials include Daredevil and a Steranko-based Nick Fury (). This is gonna cost me an extra $200 because I'm reconsidering passing on HT Samuel Jackson just so I can see them together.

All credit to kastorskorner for this reported info, here's the link: http://kastorskorner.com/wp/2013/02/...aptain-action/