Saturday Toys USMC Gear set - review with pictures

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturday Toys USMC Gear set - review with pictures

Saturday Toys USMC Gear set - review with pictures

Hi guys,

Got my ST USMC Gear sets earlier today. I took some pictures real quickly - mainly for future loose gear, but I decide to dress up the figure along the way to give you guys an idea of how it really looks like.

First I would like to answer the question many ask me - what in the world is "butted sling". Answer is - how the hell would I know? I looked in several sets but could not find any of these 4x butted slings. My best guess is that's how Saturday Toys called some "extra" slings. Why extra is in quatation marks - well because depending on how you put gear on figure, some of these slings can be extra, but some are not. For example, attaching hudration cover to the back of the Frog vest will require you to remove horizontal back sling from Frog vest and it will be left over unused. Or you can use either padded or regular straps on the Frog vest (you will need padded straps if you want to use hydration cover). Also, dropdown gas mas carrier is the same thing - if you want it to be 'dropdown', use it as is, but if you are attaching it to the vest (like I did in pictures below), you will end removing dropdown and leg attachment slings. Well you've got the idea...

I used BBI G3.5 body. Sorry to open a small can of worms here, but am I the only one who got tired of constant breaking G3.5 bodies? While posing figure, right hand broke off from the body. What the f...? Broken Legs, hands, stuck torsos - I've seen it all at this point. Hey ACE come out with your body already!!!

Now on to the review. Set comes in usual Saturday Toys packaging - sturdy cartoon box with a printed sticked upfront. Similar to ACE packaging, but I think Saturday Toys uses more high quality cartoon. Inside, items are packaged in several sealed plastic bags. As brought here before, Saturday Toys actually included free Desert Marpat helmet cover inside of the set - nice touch, not too often you can find something extra in box.

First of all - Desert Marpat camo pattern. I don't know how real Marpat looks, but what Saturday Toys did looks somewhat similar to the patter found on BBI Marpat helmets. Not really spot on, but I think you can easily use BBI helmet with Saturday Toys BDUs and they won't look out of place.

BDUs - same high quality as I come to expect from Saturday Toys. Fit is good, maybe a bit on the baggy side, but not as much as ACE BDUs. Small patches are actually embroided - very nicely done, beats the crappy patches BBI, Hot Toys and others throw at us.

Spartan body armor. Looks very good and very well made. I'm not a gear freak, so I'll leave to others to say how close it is the real thing - I have no complains... Saturday Toys says in the description that it comes with 2 Strike Plates - sorry, but these are missing out of the set, at least in several boxes I looked at they were nowhere to find. While on the subject of missing items - description also says "2x D Ring", I could not find these either...

Frog chest harness - very well made. Sorry, I know it doesn't say much, but really what else there to say? Construction is sturdy, not flumsy and the whole thing looks well build. 40mm pouches come attached to the vest. They are Molle type, so you can remove them from the harness and place either on the belt (as shown on some Saturday Toys promotional pictures) or you can probably use them as regular Molle pouches. Hydration cover comes as a seperate piece - if you choose to use it, you will need to remove back horizontal strap from the harness and attach hydration cover instead. Buttpack that comes with the set can only be attached via two vertical buckles and thus can only be used when you use hydration cover...

Dropdown items (subload, holster and gasmask carrier) - again very nicely made. I'm not going to stop on them in detail, what can you say about them? I would like to only cover gas mask carrier - it is made so that you can either display it as dropdown or you can remove all "dropdown" straps and attach it to the belt instead. So the whole set of "dropdown" items can be used in the same set.

Hats - two are included in the set. Microfleece cap is nicely done and I like how it fits over the head. I put it on my figure, but I think I forgot to take picture before removing it. I'm going to attach the picture with this hat on my mannequin. Boonie Hat (aka what Hot Toys calls bonnie hat), is nicely done and I really like its fit - in fact, I left it on my figure. I might replace it later on with the helmet, when I get around to attaching Saturday Toys cover to it. Speaking of the cover - I've tried it over BBI Marpat helmet and it fits very nicely over it.

Going over the Saturday TOys description:

1) Tactical Padded Straps (1 pair) - well I think these are used on the Frog vest. Why they were shown as a separate item, I have no idea.
    2) Description mentions two belts - once when it talks about Marpat Trousers and then as a separate item. Well I could only locate one belt - the one on pants. What this means, you can only use 40mm pouches attached to the Frog Vest and will need to leave out gas mask carrier or subload out. Of course, you can cheat and use one of the regular Frog vest's regular straps as a belt - looks close enough. But of course, no exuses here, Saturday Toys must have included somekind of belt in the set - preferabbly something like BHI pistol belt...
    3) 2x D Ring - as I mentioned above, these are either missing or Saturday Toys meant something else under this name...
    4) M9 pistol - this is nicely done. Reminds me of Hot Toys one - solid built with sliding frame and removable magazine. Btw, when Saturday Toys says 2 ammo magazines, it means one inside of M9 and one in the holster pouch.

Enough of talk on to the pictures (give me a couple of minutes and I'll attach them to the post - still need to resize them)...

Any questions - feel free to ask.

Cheers,

Alexei
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saturday Toys USMC Gear set - review with pictures-1-jpg   Saturday Toys USMC Gear set - review with pictures-2-jpg   Saturday Toys USMC Gear set - review with pictures-3-jpg   Saturday Toys USMC Gear set - review with pictures-4-jpg   Saturday Toys USMC Gear set - review with pictures-5-jpg   Saturday Toys USMC Gear set - review with pictures-6-jpg  

Saturday Toys USMC Gear set - review with pictures-7-jpg  
    Last edited by mx22; 04-23-2007 at 13:29.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Pics! Pics!
    Lmao
    OH-58C Crew Chief 89' to 92' C Troop 1-7 Cavalry...Desert Storm Vet

One more thing - helmet cover was put directly over BBI helmet. I did even bother to remove BBI Marpat cover lol. I'm sure it will look much better once you remove the cover...

Alexei

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sign me up for a loose fleece cap and spartan armor :P thanks for the review, kinda glad i didnt get the whole set, Desert MARPAT isnt my thing.
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel." -

is it me or is the MArpat kind of off colored?

Houston Again! Please let me escape soon @[email protected]
    All 1/6 marpat is pretty much off coloured when you look at the pattern swatches in 1:1 and 1/6, but when you draw from a multitude of pictures in the field, which the manufacturers probably did instead of tangible patterns, [grr bbi, you even have it on your box!] then you get a match at least half the time, whether BBi or DML. This pattern looks like a happy marriage between the HT and BBi ones, closer to BBi which makes me happy and which I hope fits in well with my grunts despite that dominant taupe shade.

Ditto to Pala, mark off a couple of those Spartans for me, and thanks for the review Alexei, I can't wait to get mine!
    Always do your best in everything you do, and live on, happy. - Aya

hows it look w/ the parka on? can we get some pics w/ the parka and gear on?

Very nice looking set. I was debating about getting this, but I'm glad I got my pre-order in yesterday.

Sorry to open a small can of worms here, but am I the only one who got tired of constant breaking G3.5 bodies?
    I know what you mean. I used to haver very little trouble with bbi bodies, but lately, while updating some bashes, I've broken 3 bodies, mostly arms and shoulders. It seems like the plastic has gotten brittle over time.

is it me or is the MArpat kind of off colored?
    Yeah, the MARPAT thing has pretty much been discussed to death here over the years. People used to get pretty heated over it. What saiko said is pretty accurate.
    Feedback

"Freedom is not free."

And I'm sure different runs of MARPAT material result in different shades as well.
    I am not a slave to the box art layout!!
    Don't be so unkind.You may not survive to pass this way again,and these be the last friendly words you'll hear.

sorry if a wee bit off topic....but has anyone gotten a good look at the USMC snow camo?..is it just experimental? i saw a pic in the latest issue of LEATHERNECK magazine of marines during winter training. it looked like...well...standard winter whites with what i can only describe as 'pixilated' blobs..grey it seemed. only one photo and it was from the back.any info would be nice. now back to our regular programing.

Nice review mate, that must have took a bit of time, but I think this is a now a surefire must buy set.
    'I'm giving you a choice: either put on these glasses or start eatin' that trash can.'

he Alexei you want to sell me the fleece cap ??
    Thanks for the review!

Niels

Scuse me but i like the figures you show under the uniform...is bbi? is the usafcct "bobcat" figure? is a black man?the heads could be mounted on dragon body? Thanks a lot Mario

Good review Alexi..looking forward to receiving mine!!
    "Other people's illusion of safety does not supersede my human rights." -Gabe Suarez

Woulda liked a lighter less contrasty shade of MARPAT as well but this uni could be weathered to look lighter.
    Likes the SPARTAN armor as well but how well will TS Pouches match
    with the color of this ARMOR? I also thought the color should be USMC Cayote Brown.

DG,

Spartan armor is indeed Coyote Brown. Maybe just a tad lighter then what is shown on your picture, but definitely not Tan.

TS pouches - I don't have any, want to land me some? And yes, it would have been great if set would have come with pouches for the armor. I guess we can't have everything.

Cheers,

Alexei

Great review Alexei. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.
    I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride. Wanted, Dead or Alive.

Darn it Alexei, that set looks great! Here I am darn near flat broke but your photos and review make it so tempting.

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Thanks for review.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerstripeblue
    sorry if a wee bit off topic....but has anyone gotten a good look at the USMC snow camo?..is it just experimental? i saw a pic in the latest issue of LEATHERNECK magazine of marines during winter training. it looked like...well...standard winter whites with what i can only describe as 'pixilated' blobs..grey it seemed. only one photo and it was from the back.any info would be nice. now back to our regular programing.
    Any pictures?

Is the spartan now standard issue in the USMC, or wil only the high speed guys be getting it?

I've seen the new snow camo, although I heard it was for all the services and not based on MARPAT, it looks good though, kind of reminded me of the new Finnish camo....

linkage:

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image...port%20031.jpg
    Last edited by Hetzer1-8; 04-22-2007 at 17:26.
    Mark

Put in my order over at Viking thanks to this thread. Nice set fo sho!

Nice Review, Alexei. Like all sets/figures, looks like a few shortcomings but a solid set. Nice baggy uni and the armor looks like a real seller.

Did I miss the mention, or was there no Woodland parka ?
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Very nice review Alexei... You pretty much sold me on the set
    KOTM Co-Winner November 2006 ( w/gaiagear ) Co-Winner December 2006 ( w/Bfett ) Winner January 2007

Looks great set

PD,

Parka is included in the set. I just did not want to put on the "test" figure for pictures and then forgot to mention about it in the review. It's a nicely done, just like the rest of the set.

Cheers,

Alexei

thanks hetzer for the info.yup..those were the pix i saw.i just knew you guys would have the straight poop.and thank you mx22 for the test drive.

woo hoo! a 1/6 PT cap!

Got my Saturday Toys Marine set from Alexei today and I have only two words to describe it: HOLY CRAP! This thing is awesome. Pics to supplement Alexei's review will follow when I get off work.
    Feedback

"Freedom is not free."

Got my set in today from Alexei, also...with a cheaper shipping price then what was quoted..most retailers would just pocket that extra 2 bucks. I think I found myself a home for my online 1/6th buying, Thanks Alexei!

Set looks great as is, can't wait to set it up on a figure.

Looks great. My only problem is how to buy one after The ACE Gunner/Rifleman sets. all tapped out right now.. These are gonna move.