Help! Need advise for cleaning figures after a fire

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Help! Need advise for cleaning figures after a fire

Question Help! Need advise for cleaning figures after a fire

I live in NY and my house had an electrical fire when power returned after hurricane Sandy. My family and I are fine, but the fire was centered in my basement work shop and storage area. Iíve lost about 50% of the Sideshow, Hot Toys and Medicom 1/6th figures that Iíve accumulated over the past 30 years. The others were tossed around or damaged by the firemen as they put out the fire. Most of the figures had been displayed but were in their original boxes. However, now the boxes are pulp and the figures have been either laying open or in their plastic packaging.

Has anyone had any success cleaning figures that have been heavily exposed to smoke or laying in blackened, wet insulation for 2 weeks? Iíd like to try and preserve whatís left and clean up the smoke-damaged figures that were on display in other areas of the house.

Iím assuming Iíll need a 2-stop process to first clean then deodorize the figures. I figure armored figures will fare better than clothed (e.g. stormtroopers vs. Jedi).

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bob

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Help! Need advise for cleaning figures after a fire

Best wishes to you and your family, good to hear everyone is okay.

I'm guessing that a wash down with a small amount of mild soap would be a good start. After that, soft cloth and air drying. Sorry to hear about this insult to injury. The high side of course, is your family's safety.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Good to hear that the damage was small and there were no injury's to the family. I would suggest wash with Woolite and air dry.

Glad to hear everyone is safe.

Usually the best way to remove odors from the clothing is hand wash in mild laundry detergent and then air drying in the sun.

use this might help . and best wishes to you r family and every one up there this thanx giving .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help!  Need advise for cleaning figures after a fire-dscn4278-jpg

Glad to hear the family is ok, and hope you all are doing well with the clean-up.

I used to help clean up houses after smoke damage and we would wipe things down with chemical sponges or like others have said in the sink with mild detergent. I think you would be fine to wash most plastic parts with mild soap and water with a non abrasive sponge and let them dry really well before putting them back together.

I have put 1:6th clothes in the washing machine inside a garment bag. Its a little fine mesh bag that zips up so you can put small things in the wash. I would use cold water, like colors on gentle cycle though and probably air dry them. I've done this with stuff from Ultimate Solder, Dragon and Power Team and it has worked out fine.

I have also used Febreze or put a dryer sheet in a box with smokey clothes for days to get cigarette smoke out.

Hope some of this helps and good luck!

having lived thru the indian ocean tsunami I know how it feels to literally start from scratch..I'm glad you and yours are well and safe tho.good luck with this reboot and take care.

Toys can be replaced, count your blessings, man. Glad to hear everyone is okay.

I've used Lysol wipes to clean up dirty figures pretty effectively, might want to give it a try!
    You may have to hand-wash cloth items, though, to get any smell out.

Glad to hear ya'll are safe.

I can't offer much advice about restoring your figures, but you could go the oposite way. Now that they're out of the box and messed up, weather the heck out of them and display them as survivors.