Product Review Kaustic Plastik KP02 Heroik Muscle Body Photo Review

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Kaustic Plastik KP02 Heroik Muscle Body Photo Review

Kaustic Plastik KP02 Heroik Muscle Body Photo Review

Real life conspired to get in the way of my getting this done earlier, but here's my photo review of the Kaustic Plastik KP02 Heroik muscle body, akin to the one I did comparing the KP01 Realistk and the ACI Andrew. If you've been thinking your other 1/6 scale figures need to feel tiny and inadequate, Kaustic Plastik has got just the base body for you.

The downside is you lose some articulation, but the upside is that you get a massively cool, extremely well engineered figure that is surprisingly pose-able considering its bulk and can be fully dressed and still intimidate the hell out of all those other puny girly men on your 1/6 shelf.

Click on any photo to see bigger versions, or visit the full Flickr set.

Headsculpt close-ups:

My original intent was to turn screaming guy into Tarzan by putting the head on a KP01. Now I'm thinking I want to try and get a headless KP01, repaint the hair blonde, and turn him into Thundarr the Barbarian.

I took the Head Play Ge You head and dropped it on the KP02 body. You have to use the Head Play neckpeg because the one that the KP02 comes with is too short. The Head Play neck peg is actually a bit too long, so the head is a tiny bit wobbly, but it works well enough.

Hot Toys "Obama" headsculpt. The skin tone is a little bit off to my eyes, but it seems to photograph better. Head fit is pretty good, though I think it'd be better if you had the neck peg that Kaustic Plastik will provide in the headless body.

Hands:

Each of the KP02 bodies comes with 4 hands, all of which are in this photo. Left to right: right trigger hand, left plain hand, right gripping hand, left bent hand. Still no fists.

Here's the one and only thing I'd criticize these things for: the wrist pegs look like they're just a hair too long. There are some poses where you can see the wrist separates from the wrist peg. This is not a deal breaker, and you can remove the wrist pegs and replace them with hands of your choice (though getting a skin tone match for the African-American figure will be a challenge, as it always is).

Some comparisons to the KP01 and Articulation Tests:

The KP02s are BIG. For comparison, I've put a KP02 next to a KP01 -- you can see how much taller and bulkier the KP02 is. I don't have a direct comparison to a Hot Toys True Type as I thought I did -- the best I have is this comparison of a KP01 and an ACI Andrew, and then this comparison of an Andrew and a True Type.

Bicep articulation is about the same as the KP01 -- not better than a 90-degree angle, but that's still pretty good considering how massive the body is.

The shoulder is much less articulated than the KP01, though. Even though it's the same ball-and-socket + disc joint, the added bulk really restricts up-and-down movement.

Unlike the ACI Andrew, the arms on the KP02 are flexible enough to be angled inwards easily, which makes getting T-shirts and combat shirts on these figures much easier, and doesn't require them to be quite as stretchy. The other real issue is getting sleeves over those gigantic biceps.

Unlike the KP01, the KP02 has a double-jointed knee, which makes taking a one-knee pose as easy as the ACI Andrew body. He can actually get lower than this, but I didn't think it was all that necessary. I also find that the lower body is a bit stiffer than the ACI Andrew, so it's easier to get the KP02 into a kneeling pose and keep him there despite the weight of the body.

Same flexibility in the hips as the KP01. Even if screaming guy doesn't seem to think so.

Tried getting the figs in the same "Sochin" stance I put the KP01 and ACI Andrew figure in, and the body had no problems whatsoever getting into a good pose and holding it.

Also tried this slightly more daring pose to see how it would work, and it worked wonderfully well. Gymnastics tests were not successful because they can't hold a handstand long enough to get a photo of it. May try some other yoga, taiji, or karate poses later for fun.

Like the KP01, the limited articulation in the arms means that you aren't going to get a very good shooting pose out of this figure. From this angle, it actually doesn't look too bad. Different story from the front-view of the shooting pose, though, demonstrating how far away the rifle is held from the body. It's impossible for the figure to sight down the rifle.

Next: fashion show!
    Last edited by edwick; 09-12-2012 at 21:28.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Kaustic Plastik KP02 Heroik Muscle Body Photo Review

I discovered the hard way that the KP02 is so big, some clothing just doesn't fit it. This led to a major parts box raid to grab anything and everything I could find from any manufacturer I could find to test things out, so you don't go grabbing things that won't fit the figure. The green T-shirt in most of the pictures is from Soldier Story.

BATTLEGEAR TOYS + NEWLINE MINIATURES:

Battle Gear Toys shirt fits fine, but the Newline Miniature pants aren't manly enough for the KP02's 6-inch waist. You can see more of this big fella (still a WIP) in my Cowboy Han Solo and Chewbacca photo set.

TOY SOLDIER

This is the BDU from the Max Mullen Ranger figure. Much to my surprise, Toy Soldier pants fit well, closing completely around the massive waist. Unfortunately, the top doesn't fare quite as well, coming in a bit too small to close fully.

ACI

The ACI 5.11 tactical pants that came with one of their clothing sets are laughably small, failing utterly to close at the top. No way you can fit these on the figure. Don't know about their BDU set, but I don't have one to try.

DRAGON MODELS

Dragon Models pants don't fit too well, either. You can actually get kind of close to closing the top snap, but not close enough.

DiD

These are the DiD Multicam pants that came with their carded MC uniform set. They fit pretty well, but they still look comically large even on a figure as big as this one.

VERY HOT

Very Hot does pretty well. These are from the "Black Action" Sniper Set and everything fits perfectly.

TOYS CITY

Another winner. These are the BDUs from the recent combat diver set.

SOLDIER STORY

I'm sure it's a surprise to nobody to find that Soldier Story does just fine with these figures. Top row is the desert tiger stripe BDU that came with the Navy SEAL SDV-1 figure, and the bottom is the Multicam combat shirt and pants from the 75th Ranger.

CRAZY DUMMY

Wearing the Crazy Dummy Multicam outfit from their 75th Ranger gunner figure. Another really nice fit, although I found the shirt a little bit short. If you flex him too much, it'll get untucked pretty easily.

PLAYHOUSE

In the combat shirt and pants from the CJSOTF-A figure. Another nice fit. I did try the 3-color desert camouflage outfit from their SEAL Team 10 figure, and the pants wouldn't close all the way, but I'm honestly not sure if I have the right pants -- they might be some other brand.

HOT TOYS

Wearing a Hot Toys pair of pants from the TACP figure. The waist is a pretty good fit, but the pants come up visibly short. Tall boots with the pants tucked in should cover it, though the pants might pop out if you pose the figure in a kneeling position.

MISC

"OLD SPICE ODOR BLOCKER BODY WASH IS SO POWERFUL, IT CAN BLOCK B.O. FOR SIXTEEN HOURS!!!!!!!"

OK, I know I posted this one before. I still think it's funny.
    Last edited by edwick; 09-12-2012 at 21:33.

Thanks for the review. It will help out a lot when I start looking for outfits for my Kaustik muscle bodies...great job. although the skin tones don't match I put my Obama head sculpt on one of the AA and I love it.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This pic had me laughing out loud!

AAARRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!

Thanks for the very informative review.

Eric

Excellent review!
    "I need your clothes, your boots, and your motorcycle."
    Trade feedback:
    https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ghlight=spyder

Nice review,

Great to know what stuff will fit it too, well worth noting, pity that most of the clothes in my parts bin are from the manufacturers that don't fit it well!

CHEERS!

Very useful, thanks!

Thanks everyone! Hope you guys and more will find the comparisons useful.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterToy View Post
    This pic had me laughing out loud!

AAARRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!
    Yeah, I hate to say it, but the screaming headsculpt seems to lend itself to humorous shots better than serious ones. Of course, this just means someone has to go out and make an amazing bash out of it and prove me wrong....

EDIT: Also, for the record: Sideshow pants are a no-go on these guys also.
    Last edited by edwick; 09-13-2012 at 13:43.

What a great review! Some very useful info you posted there with the different clothing options. I have the KP Terry Crews on the way, so now I know what fits him. Thanks.

Said this in another thread once already, but the VTS Explorer khaki pants are a nice fit if you're looking to do a civilian bash.

Thumbs up Re: Kaustic Plastik KP02 Heroik Muscle Body Photo Review

A brilliant idea, by a boardie, about those wrist pegs is to flip them. Pull them out and the end that is designed to go into the hand goes into the forearm. This worked beautifully in getting rid of that gap.

The shouting head could be good for a Skyrim custom, but there would be a huge amount of work involved to build a Dovahkiin.

Fantastic review. Old Spice shot is amazingly funny!

edwick, first off, let me say your review was excellent. I have an odd question for you, though. Where did you snag those leopard skin boxers in 1/6? I'd like a pair of those to use on a Tarzan custom, and have never seen those for sale anywhere. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by torgospizza View Post
    edwick, first off, let me say your review was excellent. I have an odd question for you, though. Where did you snag those leopard skin boxers in 1/6? I'd like a pair of those to use on a Tarzan custom, and have never seen those for sale anywhere. Thanks!
    Clearly, I am not Edwick but I think I can help. I was able to get the same pair from GSTG. Ken's got them listed under Project ARE as Boxer Shorts - Jungle Print for $3.50.

And I find Good Stuff To Go ships very quickly.

Thank you for the review
    And it's also very funny in some pictures!
    Fabio Varesi
    Kaustic Plastik
    www.kaustic-plastik.com

Thanks for the review and funny pictures

Thanks again, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by torgospizza View Post
    Where did you snag those leopard skin boxers in 1/6?
    Just confirming that dimedrop is right -- those are the Project ARE boxer shorts on both the figures, and I even got them from Good Stuff to Go (which is also where I pre-ordered the bodies, as it turns out).

Great review and pics!
    Meine Ehre heißt Treue

Thanks a million, dimedrop and edwick. And once again, thanks for posting a great review.

Great review - thanks for showing demos of how the bodies fit various uniforms
    KOTM Co-Winner November 2006 ( w/gaiagear ) Co-Winner December 2006 ( w/Bfett ) Winner January 2007

I'm not going to lie but putting the head on the body is so hard to do. Sigh...lol

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks for the review on the different clothing fit. This helped a lot. I am gonna purchase for sure as a cheaper muscle body alternative, cause this just got available again at Urban Samurai.

Quick update with some new clothing fit tests.

Sideshow Toys Platoon pants: Epic Fail:

Magic Cube Force 10 tactical pants -- looking good.

FWIW, that's also the Magic Cube male tank top on the figure. No clue if the tops for the MC hunting sets will fit, but if someone wants to buy me one...

Wow, those clothing tests and pics were extremely helpful! Thanks for doing that!

Agreed, this was extremely helpful! I recently ordered another one of these bodies from Cotswold, so I added the MC Force 10's to the order as well, to make sure he didn't have to run around naked :P