1/6th scaled Alien Queen feasible?/Alien Queen at this years SDCC?

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1/6th scaled Alien Queen feasible?/Alien Queen at this years SDCC?

1/6th scaled Alien Queen feasible?/Alien Queen at this years SDCC?

Quote Originally Posted by 38oliver
    This almost needs to be a new thread unto itself ... "Would a properly 1/6th scaled Alien Queen be feasible?"

I think so, but IMO it the basic design "probably" would not be feasible if you're thinking just a scaled up larger version of the design used for the warriors. (See previous comments on this and older threads re. weight support.)

So ... I'm looking at my 1/6th scale movie Hulk from a few years back, and it dons on me that rotocasting does work incredibly well for 'some' things. Hulk is a good example. The massive proportions lended themselves really well to it being rotocast. The sculpt is incredibly detailed; the paint apps (IMO) used to highlight the musculature are just as good; and the articulation (although not a 30-pt 'super' type) is quite enough for this guy. And the weight of the main torso is still solid enough to be robust while not being the top heavy anchor a metal armatured or solid plastic figure would have to bear. Rotocasting "some" parts of the main torso on the queen might not only solve the weight problem without sacrificing sculpt, but might also bring costs down. Just my thoughts.
    Just a year ago the idea of a 1/6 Queen seemed like a pipe dream. But with last years SDCC giving us so many goodies like the Jabba set, Terminator H-Ks, Ripley, Hudson, Drake and so much more. There is alot of buzz on the net that we might get an Alien Queen anouncment at this years SDCC.

There are several reasons I think this will happen.
    A 1/6 Queen will be not that much bigger then some
    of Side Shows Premium Format figures and those sell just fine.
    So both price and size will not be that much of an issue.

Price? Ouch it going to hurt but again I think it will be on par with the PF figures.

Articulation? Well IMO it will be close to what we already have seen with ED-209 and the Hasbro 1/6 rotocast Taun-Taun of years past. Anyway what do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

i think its possible and only a matter of time. the 1/6 market is growing in ways we never thought possible and if hot toys really wants to set the bench mark then this is the way to go.

I wouldnt put anything past HT after the debut of the power lower and ED209

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

as for me even doing the widowmaker from rfom it is based either as a one off or a few production units.
    i am using the easy way but if any one wants to try to see the scale, make a drawing or copy of the queen an compare next to your figure and step back.
    tony

YOU KNOW . . .

My 1:6 "holy grail" is the 21STCT M2 Bradley. I've had a couple of opportunities to buy it, but logistics (seller & method of shipping) prevented. It was never an issue with $.

With the latest and recent 1:6 shifts in themes and the availability (or is it eventuality) of products some of us never thought would be possible in 1:6 . . . WELL . . . if HT produces a 1:6 Alien Queen, then that'll be my new 1:6 holy grail.

"Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."
    ~ Arthur Bishop | The Mechanic (2011)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaForceChung
    YOU KNOW . . .

My 1:6 "holy grail" is the 21STCT M2 Bradley. I've had a couple of opportunities to buy it, but logistics (seller & method of shipping) prevented. It was never an issue with $.

With the latest and recent 1:6 shifts in themes and the availability (or is it eventuality) of products some of us never thought would be possible in 1:6 . . . WELL . . . if HT produces a 1:6 Alien Queen, then that'll be my new 1:6 holy grail.

i totally agree. I cant imagine what else is coming next. Any ideas guys?

That scale is about right.
    Captain Mal: "Mercy is the mark of a great man. (lightly stabs Atherton with the sword) Guess I'm just a good man. (stabs him again) Well, I'm all right."

YOU KNOW . . .

With all the anticipation regarding the eventual/strong possibility of a 1:6 Alien Queen from HT . . . I wonder if we should slowly start clamouring for a 1:6 USCM Drop Ship? I mean a limited production run 1:6 USCM Drop Ship should only set us back about maybe $999.99 to $1499.99 USD MSRP tops?

"Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment."

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaForceChung
    YOU KNOW . . .

With all the anticipation regarding the eventual/strong possibility of a 1:6 Alien Queen from HT . . . I wonder if we should slowly start clamouring for a 1:6 USCM Drop Ship? I mean a limited production run 1:6 USCM Drop Ship should only set us back about maybe $999.99 to $1499.99 USD MSRP tops?

You would have a better chance of seen an APV than a dropship but if SS can do 1/4 scale I dont think its too far outta the relm possibility that we may see a Queen sometime in the future
    USMC CHET OSW Co-Founder
    John P. Hermesmeyer
    92-96 5th Marines 0311
    Semper Fi
    Ryan Bonaminio "Eagle MP" Gone but not forgotten

yeah....while you're at it, why not push for a whole Planetary base!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silas_Loki
    yeah....while you're at it, why not push for a whole Planetary base!!!!
    --

No.

Why?

Because that would be irrational, unrealistic, and way out of many's price range. Besides, I'm guessing some would demand it be produced and released immediately with zero patience.

<LOOKS AROUND>

Heheh, I like what Predrhone's done there, in case anyone is wondering that's Halcyon's Queen which, in reality, is about half the size it appears. I've had one for years and it set me back £61.50 when I bought it new. It stood around my room for ages till I replaced her with the McF one. She'll do me for now and it'll probably be the best one I'm ever going to own.

Even if HT do a 1/6th one you're unlikely to see much change from £400 were she to make it to these shores, OWWWHHOOOHOOCH!

CHEERS!

Speaking of McFarlanes Queen , notice how it had to be "bulked out" in order for it to retain it's shape and structual integrity . This problem would be increased if the design was taken up to 1/6 . A vinyl-type plastic would warp under its own weight , roto-cast body parts would also eventually suffer from this effect . O.k , a metal armature and resin or stone cast parts? That could work ,but you can forget about articulation . And the cost ! Imagine Sideshows high-end statues and double the cost at least ! Let's face it , in principle it would be great ,but in practice , it's impractical at best . Also the size would seriously limit the market .Hand on heart , how many of us would have the space to display such a monster ? ( No one with a wife or partner , that's for sure !). :rolleyes
    Peace Through Superior Firepower

Look at NECA's Balrog. It was released in VERY limited numbers, was mostly rotocast, and cost a pretty penny at that. But was it worth it for them? Absolutely, because the demand was through the roof. I don't think that at any reasonable cost (by reasonable, I'm thinking within the mid 3-digits) Hot Toys would have a problem moving a 1/6 Alien Queen. They could easily rotocast the larger parts like her chest/thorax, and even her giant crest to keep costs lower, not to mention weight. I think they could give her a heavy duty stand with perhaps a steel rod that would insert into a slot underneath her...um, pelvic region. There are plenty of ways to make it happen, and keep it affordable for us without godly bank accounts.
    Captain Mal: "Mercy is the mark of a great man. (lightly stabs Atherton with the sword) Guess I'm just a good man. (stabs him again) Well, I'm all right."

God please let it be so. Think back to '97/'98 and where things have come, not only in quality, subject matter, etc., but in the amounts of money we crazies are willing to put out for our hobby. I was wondering the other day about a queen being produced and how it really could be done. Are you listening, HT? We're willing to crack open those wallets!
    It's never too late

Again , this is not an impossibility , but from what I've read the Balrog suffered from the problems I highlighted , instability and lack of articulation . (As well as the paint apps being well below H.T's standards !) . It's the physiology of the Queen that is the problem . Look for any reference of any of the puppets used in the movie , whether 1/1 or smaller , it cannot stand unaided , even a rod positioned strategically wouldn't be sufficient . Anyone ( like Rogerbee ) , who has built the Halcyon vinyl kit will tell you how difficult it is to get the sumbitch to stand up!

You've got a point Starkiller, even with the solid plastic legs coupled with the hollow upper body, etc., the Halcyon kit's a bit troublesome to make stand up. Still, think of the glory of a 1/6 Alien Queen! I've already built another wing on the palatial Duralumin estates for the NECA Balrog, and am fully willing to do so again for the Queen.
    It's never too late

Yes I do have a point , unfortunately ,the wife says it's on the top of my head!!

Id like an official HT Bishop.

Starkiller, your wife sounds like she subscribes to the same opinions as does mine...lol! Spartan, amen brother. Adding Bishop to the list of fine HT Aliens licensed pieces would be outstanding. God, I really am going to have to add another wing to the house!
    It's never too late

Actually, if you weighted the thorax and bent the tail just right, the Halcyon Queen stood just fine.

The McF one was a problem because, when you fitted the spikes into the base, the base buckled and wouldn't sit flat. Mine's stuck down with loads of blutac and I'm surprised how well it's held.

I reckon we will see a 1/6th Queen, but not at a reasonable price

CHEERS!

Before you dudes get too far with this .. just two considerations: 1). Size of packaging. 2). Shipping weight.

It would be a tough job to box up a Queen without the 4 FOOT tail. Then I'd imagine the figure would weigh 10-12 pounds dry, without packaging.

Assuming these won't be issues -- then yeah it will happen.

BTW -- just ask anyone who owns a HT Hollywood series how much the box sets weigh.

dudeman i agree that its going to be huge but, as we all know that
    HT does not sell Alien action but instead calls them model kits, that odds are would come in a 1/2 dozen peaces. so dont think that would be a sticking point if they made it. Also as the PF figures have proven PEOPLE will pay top dollar for kick ass sci-fi figures hell i remeber a few years back seeing the stan winston studios selling a 1/1 full size queen that sold for thousands and thousands of dollars, i mean the thing was the size of a t-rex and even that sold out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dudeman
    Before you dudes get too far with this .. just two considerations: 1). Size of packaging. 2). Shipping weight.

It would be a tough job to box up a Queen without the 4 FOOT tail. Then I'd imagine the figure would weigh 10-12 pounds dry, without packaging.

Assuming these won't be issues -- then yeah it will happen.

BTW -- just ask anyone who owns a HT Hollywood series how much the box sets weigh.

I'm gonna have to say that if they were willing to do a Power Loader, they're going to be willing to do a Queen. It'll be big and expensive but will it be completely accurate to scale? I hope so, but it could come in under what the Queen should be. Sure the logistics of the piece should always be kept in mind, but considering all the crazy huge collectibles that are offered out there, I really don't see the Queen as inconceivable anymore. Heck, look at the 1/6th scale Jabba.

Quote Originally Posted by predrhone
    Look at NECA's Balrog. It was released in VERY limited numbers, was mostly rotocast, and cost a pretty penny at that. But was it worth it for them? Absolutely, because the demand was through the roof. I don't think that at any reasonable cost (by reasonable, I'm thinking within the mid 3-digits) Hot Toys would have a problem moving a 1/6 Alien Queen. They could easily rotocast the larger parts like her chest/thorax, and even her giant crest to keep costs lower, not to mention weight. I think they could give her a heavy duty stand with perhaps a steel rod that would insert into a slot underneath her...um, pelvic region. There are plenty of ways to make it happen, and keep it affordable for us without godly bank accounts.
    NECA's Balrog is a great piece in my opinion (I'm biased, I own one), but at the end of the day I have to say that I'm really not sure what the overall demand for it was. NECA could have lost quite a bit of money on the piece due to how long it was in production and the sheer difficulty in producing it. But they were passionate about it and pushed it through, overcoming all problems. The way I see it, Hot Toys are being incredibly passionate about 80's licenses right now. This was in my opinion the greatest period in history for genre movies and I think the Hot Toys people concur. Doing a Power Loader is to me a sure sign they're considering a Queen.

Break the Queen up into a model kit format as some of the other HT movie releases are and the packaging won't be that much of a logistical nightmare at all. And I'm sorry, but most collectibles aren't going to weigh as much as NECA's Balrog, and shipping was relatively reasonable for a big heavy box like the one for the Balrog. A few years ago I would have said no way to the Queen issue, but nowadays I can see it as at least a possibility (especially with the powerloader's imminent release).
    It's never too late

How much does it cost to ship a single case of this Queen from Asia to Sideshow do you think ?

The simple fact of the matter is that regardless of weather HT makes the queen or not it will be very expensive
    the powerloader was 250 w/o Ripley and is almost 1/2 the size of the queen
    now as far as shipping it goes since it would technically be a model I dont think that would be a real issue
    it could ship in a box that isnt overly large
    that isnt a big deal but to you all who think a 1/6th scale queen will sell for the same price as a powerloader or even 50 bucks more are smoking crack
    id be happy if it sells for 4 bills once all is said and done
    USMC CHET OSW Co-Founder
    John P. Hermesmeyer
    92-96 5th Marines 0311
    Semper Fi

Fet as much as you want it to be there isnt much that can be used from the pre-existing aliens to make a Queen
    There bodies are totally different
    now if we say that the Queen is twice as big as a drone than it should be twice the price which would equate to approx 250 bucks and well that would rock but the Queen is bigger
    is it 150 bucks bigger well I dont know
    400 is just a guess
    hell if its less Ill dance the jigg
    if its 400 well thats what I paid for Jabba and throne and is my personal max id pay for something
    lets hope the ComicCon rumor is true and my price estimates are wrong
    USMC CHET OSW Co-Founder
    John P. Hermesmeyer
    92-96 5th Marines 0311
    Semper Fi

Hey, I found this yesterday over at the hive forum, its a 1/4 scale queen. Sounds like it was custom made, looks awsome.
    http://www.thehiveforum.net/forum/in...p?topic=3435.0
    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience."