World at War (WWI, WWII, & Civil Wars) DML Pak 38 Build

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DML Pak 38 Build

DML Pak 38 Build

I'm surprised....or maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen a single build thread for the DML plastic kit of the Pak 38 5 cm anti-tank gun. I bought one a while ago and have not had an opportunity (until recently) to actually crack the box open and start assembly. So I started looking for threads....couldn't find any. Alot of people got the pre-assembled and painted version.....I choose a different path....or am I wrong and nobody is interested.....?
    Last edited by Folkwulfe; 08-01-2012 at 18:29.
    The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down.

— General Chuck Yeager, USAF, describing his first confrontation with a Me262

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: DML Pak 38 Build

I am also interested in such thread. I want to know what the difference between yours and others' is
    "I start out by believing the worst."

Action Figures

I'd like to see your build in progress, the 5cm AT gun was an interesting weapon. Good to see you on page again.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Afikaa: from what I have heard from others, the pre-assembled gun was made from plastic and polystone. This "kit" is all plastic and is packaged just like any other plastic kit, trees of parts and clear poly-bags to protect them. There are no polystone pieces and no decals, however, the detailing on the tree parts is really pretty good. Some of the molded in details are heavy....I assume because of the size and weight. One outstanding detail that I found disturbing is that the kit has NO provisions for turning wheels. Everything else is designed to function, but the wheels being able to turn is kind of an afterthought. I assembled the wheels before I really looked at the design....and then figured out a way to make the wheels turnable, but it requires I crack the wheel halves apart to do it. I think I can do that without too much trouble. I'll let you know. I am also starting my own web page and (as soon as I get the pages and galleries up) should be able to post pictures. Give me a couple of days.

PD: Dude....how ya been? I thought the kit gun was a great idea and bought one near a year ago, but never had the chance. Bought a new house too and moving/fixing/painting has been a full time occupation until now. Things are finally settling and I can get back to business. Besides...it's way too hot to ride the bike, but air conditioned inside for comfortable building. See ya soon.

Good to see a few 'builders' on the site. Just can't understand why so few. I think the DML kits are a fantastic bargain and hope they keep putting them out. (Definitely will buy a Sherman !) I'm just finishing a major project of a Panzer II kit, converted to an Ausf F with a complete interior. This has really got me interested in modelling again. Last night I was thinking about what to do next and was looking at the 7.5cm Pak 97/38. Your post has convinced me that this will be next. Perhaps not exactly what you have suggested, but close. The Pz. II also has non-moving wheels, almost certainly to keep the price down. It was sort of like a 1950's vintage model kit, just huge ! It was a simple solution to drill some holes and use nuts and bolts. I look forward to seeing some other kit-builders speaking up.

Well...it took awhile. Guess I'm not as "html friendly" as I thought I was.

Anyway, these are project starting pictures....more on the way as progress happens. So far, I'm just putting the major sub-assemblies together for detailing before the painting begins.

Beautiful bunch of detailing there.
    You are
    What you do

Been awhile but here's what I have so far.

Thanks to a friend who warned me...I was able to correct the breach-block face that was mounted upside down. Seems the instructions and locator pins were wrong. The breach-block has also been shimmed to fit properly and not sage when open. The firing cable was scratch built and turned out pretty good. The firing plunger (trigger) is missing and has been scratch built. I started detailing of the sight arm and found an old rifle scope that looks pretty close to the sight-scope used. I also started the cradle detailing but still have a long ways to go. The wheels were split and screw/washers are ready to install. That way, the wheels will turn as they should. I will have pictures of the improvements available soon.

I have yet to get bolts and nuts for the various details missing, but they are on the way. Now if I can just find an appropriate chain for cradle detail...still looking. Maybe then I can start pre-shading and base painting.

It's good to have a bud to clue you in before things get too far along. One of the best parts of the hobby. Where some might find the missing bits frustrating, the challenge can be a big part of the fun.
    You are
    What you do

Ain't it the truth PD....ain't it the truth.

Finally...pics that WORK!

Hello again. I've spent the long weekend on my Pak 97. Have most of the assembly complete as well a lot of painting.. I have a question on Step 5 (both Pak 38 and Pak 97 kits) In the small close up picture there is a round piece with many small round details on a tube, visible under B-18 (attached to it ?). I have this as a part 14 for the round part, but no other info. Any help ? I have both kits and note that the Pak 97 has a lot of Pak 38 parts as leftovers included. In addition, I have a considerable number of parts that don't appear in the Pak 97 instructions. (These picto-instructions really suck !)

Progress....well some at least.

Still trying to remove all those pesky mold lines, but I'm making headway. The trailing arm chains have been added as well.

The two retaining cleats that hold the third (spare?) tire to the top of the trailing arms was molded in. I cut them free, reshaped hinges, and made them functional.

Now it's time to start the painting process so that I can hit those areas of the gun that will be impossible to reach (and very visible of coarse) once final assembly takes place. Details yet to be added include sights and adjustment knobs, front shield details, and pioneer kits.

Cool "body shop" work on the gun. It looks great in the plastic, almost a shame that the paint job will cover all the fixes.
    You are
    What you do

That's quite a cannon,

I too am working on an injection kit right now, a bit of a culture shock after so much 1/6. I can't post it here though as it's 1/20 scale.

CHEERS!

Thanks for these photos you're supplying. I've got my Pak 97/88 built and painted overall. You've just shown me a part inside the breech that I couldn't identify previously (aren't these instructions wonderful !) and will now make these two pieces hinged as well. Other than the instructions, I love these kits.

You don't know the half of the "body shop" that has to be done before I could get to the paint stage! There are too many nooks and crannies to count...and every time I sit down to get busy again, a few more crop up I didn't see before. Bet money, when I start the pre-shading and tinting, I find alot more?

No biggie....just a few updates of nuts, bolts and "thingees".

Thanks for showing more 'thingies.' As I continue to add them to my Pak 97, I've lost control - I've completely disassembled a 21st Century Pak 40 (somehow without destroying anything) and am giving it the kit treatment too. Can't figure myself out as I never really had a great interest in artillery. Funny what a little outside inspiration can do. Thanks again.

It's a slippery slide for sure. Since those pictures were taken, I've added a bit more and have plans for MUCH more. I'm not an AT gun fan either, but darn it all! I've got to have something not "out-of-the-box" like everybody's got already.....I have scruples!.....and maybe too much time on my hands?

A little counter-shading going on.....

This is like waiting to be an uncle.
    You are
    What you do

Added the first color shots. Not complete (by a long shot) but getting closer.

Looking good ! I know that you're going to add them, but I actually kind of like it without the shields . (Anybody ever see one of these guns in service without them ?) I managed to get my Pak 40 put back together last weekend with an overall coat of yellow. No details yet ... because I just received an Armor Hobbies Sd.Kfz.250 which is certain to divert my attention. However, as I just posted in the Pz.II Build thread, currently on this site, I really like working in this scale as I feel that I can go back to a project at any time and add more details as they become available . Not something I would even think of doing with a smaller scale model. With these big kits I don't feel guilty for not immediately finishing a project, I can just consider them a 'work in progress.' Finished or not, they look finished = less stress = more fun.

....closer....

DETAILS, DETAILS, and more DETAILS!!!!

Those shots could easily be of the real thing, it's a beaut.
    You are
    What you do

Loads of stuff yet to go....but thanks PD. Appreciate the nod....

No biggie update...just adding more details and paint.

Were you ever able to procure any ammo for this PAK38?
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

No sir I have not. Know where I can get any?