Did a quick search and didn't find anything on this so thought it would be an interesting topic.
Now I'm fairly new to this hobby but I've noticed that male faces tend to be much more representative of who they are modeled after as opposed to female faces. The only ones that seem to replicate the female face pretty well are those that look more anime-ish. Spoke to a few friend (male and female) and the following points seemed the most convincing.
1) Male faces have more pronounced features that are easier to recognize and replicate
2) Alot of female "features" tend to be the result of makeup/lighting/angles
3) Guys tend to pay more attention to female features because they are more likely to stare at a girl then a guy and vice versa so it's difficult to replicate a face of the opposite gender to the observer.
And these are my thoughts on those 3 points
1) This might be true I honestly don't know how to judge this. But you figure that no matter how subtle the detail is, paying hundreds of dollars for a head from a company like hot toys who has spent probably thousands if not millions in R&D not to mention actual production costs on details should be able to capture these small details.
2) I can definitely see how this can be true, anyone whos seen a good amount of their female friends in the morning or right after they take off their make up can attribute that at least for some those layers of foundation/eye shadow/concealer/lip stick has an effect on how they look, especially in different lighting. Still I mean all these things are essentially a temporary form of paint so this should also be replicable by artists. An in terms of lighting and angles, I feel that even the professional advertisements (if you happen to have that ad of the new black widow sculpture take a look) doesn't make the faces look as realistic as male faces.
3) This I can agree with the premise because yeah I am more likely to stare at a girl's face more then a guy, nothing about being homophobic or anything just looking at a pretty girls face make me happier = ) but there is no way I would know the details of that persons face I just get some overall feeling of whether or not the person is pretty. A good exercise one of my friends showed me was close your eyes and imagine your spouse/fiance/girlfriend/close female friend. Can you described their eye brows and eye lashes? I'm sure more then a few guys could but for the most part I would say most guys couldn't. We just don't focus on these minute details. I'd even go as far to venture that aside from eye color, and lips there is no way we we notice any other features (cheek bones, eye shape, lip stick color, skin tone, etc) unless there was something extraordinary about them, and for me I'd notice more if they were extraordinarily bad more then good. For me it's mostly just is she pretty or not without to much objective thoughts.
So that's my little rant, I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts/opinions/way to improve female face sculptures.