Male vs Female Faces

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Male vs Female Faces

Male vs Female Faces

Did a quick search and didn't find anything on this so thought it would be an interesting topic.

Now I'm fairly new to this hobby but I've noticed that male faces tend to be much more representative of who they are modeled after as opposed to female faces. The only ones that seem to replicate the female face pretty well are those that look more anime-ish. Spoke to a few friend (male and female) and the following points seemed the most convincing.

1) Male faces have more pronounced features that are easier to recognize and replicate

2) Alot of female "features" tend to be the result of makeup/lighting/angles

3) Guys tend to pay more attention to female features because they are more likely to stare at a girl then a guy and vice versa so it's difficult to replicate a face of the opposite gender to the observer.

And these are my thoughts on those 3 points

1) This might be true I honestly don't know how to judge this. But you figure that no matter how subtle the detail is, paying hundreds of dollars for a head from a company like hot toys who has spent probably thousands if not millions in R&D not to mention actual production costs on details should be able to capture these small details.

2) I can definitely see how this can be true, anyone whos seen a good amount of their female friends in the morning or right after they take off their make up can attribute that at least for some those layers of foundation/eye shadow/concealer/lip stick has an effect on how they look, especially in different lighting. Still I mean all these things are essentially a temporary form of paint so this should also be replicable by artists. An in terms of lighting and angles, I feel that even the professional advertisements (if you happen to have that ad of the new black widow sculpture take a look) doesn't make the faces look as realistic as male faces.

3) This I can agree with the premise because yeah I am more likely to stare at a girl's face more then a guy, nothing about being homophobic or anything just looking at a pretty girls face make me happier = ) but there is no way I would know the details of that persons face I just get some overall feeling of whether or not the person is pretty. A good exercise one of my friends showed me was close your eyes and imagine your spouse/fiance/girlfriend/close female friend. Can you described their eye brows and eye lashes? I'm sure more then a few guys could but for the most part I would say most guys couldn't. We just don't focus on these minute details. I'd even go as far to venture that aside from eye color, and lips there is no way we we notice any other features (cheek bones, eye shape, lip stick color, skin tone, etc) unless there was something extraordinary about them, and for me I'd notice more if they were extraordinarily bad more then good. For me it's mostly just is she pretty or not without to much objective thoughts.

So that's my little rant, I'd love to hear everyone else's thoughts/opinions/way to improve female face sculptures.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Male vs Female Faces

You have touched on a pet peeve of mine. The only female faces that resemble actual women are those based on movie stars, such as Hot Toys figures: Black Widow, Baby Doll, etc.

Why are they realistic? Because they are working from photos of actual people. I would suggest most of the highly realistic male sculpts we've been seeing lately are also done from photos of real (but perhaps not famous) people.

The realistic look comes from being a specific rather than a generic face. The most realistic sculpts are based on a specific face not on some "impression" of a face sculpted from memory, or from pure fantasy. In that way, I don't think it has anything to do with whether you spend more time looking at male or female faces.

However, in designing and selling 1/6 figures, fantasy rules. That's why movie stars and super heroes outsell army grunts every time, and why male figures are big and strong, and female figures are cute and/or sexy. Neither are representative of the vast majority of the human race.

I have totally given up buying female sculpts lately, since they look "blurry" in comparison to the hyper real textures and paint jobs of male sculpts.

There is more variety of male HS than female HS. With male HS they can have beards, facial hair, age can vary from young to old, and have scars.
    With female HS they all always look dolled up and of a fairly young age. Most people wouldnt want a female HS thats old, has facial hair or scars.
    I have 3x more female HS than males, but the male ones I have are all unique in there own way, while most of the female ones look bland (except for the one from HotToys).

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

HT - MGS Boss headsculpt maybe breaking new ground. Personally I am really looking forward to it. A "handsome" woman rather than a typical feminine beauty.
    There is no "I" in teim

So what's your point?

There are more male figure collectors then there are female figure collectors...hence the reason more male head sculpts.

My collection of about 500 or so figures is about 70% male to 30% female and I consider myself a serious female figure collector and have been collecting since about 1999.

As well ask any sculptor and they will tell you it is easier to sculpt a male head then female...

" and just what would you do with a Brain, if you had one"? "Prince, harley....come on....Cooper you are such a goofball
    My Photo Album:
    http://s164.photobucket.com/user/cru...?sort=3&page=1

YOU HAVE 500 figures??? Great Scott! Back to the Post.. I raised a simular question once or made a simular comment about male vs female head scuplts and... well the response was less than positive.. None the less Ill say it again.. I dont have a single female figure but I going to aquire one, Sookie from True Blood. It was done so well now I want Salene, Ultra violete and Trinity. I'm a newbie when it comes to fem fatale or fem figs period. But it just seems like unless the sculpt is of a celebrity of some sort the detail is some what lacking in fem head sculpts. But on the other hand Triads latest release of Amber, Raven etc.. etc. are very impressive. Very pretty with open expressions.
    " Take care of Business, Or the Business will take care of you.. "

Quote Originally Posted by crusader1xxx View Post
    As well ask any sculptor and they will tell you it is easier to sculpt a male head then female...

Well... First, I recommend this:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo4COOhPk3k&feature=my_liked_videos&list=L LCsZbm_ObEKWVf0T3rA-Gyw[/ame] - the result being a fantastic old woman. I'd say that an old person is easier to sculpt than a young (since realistically a woman would be just as prone to get scars as a man - facial hair is of course another matter)

I would love to see more realistic females in ther 30's- 40's with more distinct sculpts - many of the young females available are so badly sculpted its not even fun - a triangular face, a small blob for nose, a smaller blob for mouth and printed eyes and the dollmaker calls it a day. Horrible.

There are however a truth in that there are (way) more male collectors, and thus more inclined to collect more shall we say 'masculine' subjects like soldiers or superheroes - therefore, the amount of male sculpts will inevitably be much more inclined to male ones - and the female sculpts pretty dolls.

We need chicks in this hobby...

What gets me is that male headsculpts may cost a few bucks ($25 to $49 e-Bay) and they are really weathered, bearded,scared,bald, hairy whatever.
    But a female head sculpt that looks like a perfect doll instead of a real person, sells well over $100.
    (E-bay).
    Check it out!

I'm not really crazy about female HS's particularly if I'm looking to do a particular character. They don't really seem to be much a step up from generic Barbie heads. I'm actually planning to do, sometime, a HM, Queen Elizabeth II (present day) from an Alder Fischer headsculpt (and a WW2 volunteer Princess Elizabeth version based on a Princess Leia figure - when you think that Princess Leia was played by Carrie FISHER that makes things creepy!) and a Countess Melitta Schenk von Stauffenberg based on Nico Hahn (if I can still snag one!) but only because the heads already have features that seem close enough to the photos I've seen and require just a bit of work and 'plastic surgery' to make them a close match.

I watched a programme on telly about beauty and apparently there is a science to it, they (the hot scientists) use a grid-type mask which shows the perfect alignment of a female face structure. Also most beautiful film stars such as Cameron Diaz will fit the grid, same goes for men, Tom Cruise fits the male grid perfectly.
    Anyway my point it that sculptors could use this grid as reference, just to check their work is pleasing to the buyer.
    http://www.beautyanalysis.com/mba_re...ation_page.htm

I think most female action figures look like dudes. And my second pet peeve is they have no facial expression or attitude. Female features are softer and male features are more squareish, it's just like that, just like female/male skeletons are different. Even in animals, I can usually tell if it's male or female at a glance watching them move.

Femme headsculpts until recently were based on a young woman's face and looked more anime than real.
    But the male headsculpts didn't always look as realistic as they do now either.

I've only been into 1/6 figures for a few years now and in that short time I've seen their level of realism and quality take-off like a rocket.
    The femmes quality is slightly behind the male figures right now but the femmes are gaining in popularity and they are getting better all the time.

Now that collectors have seen more realistic femme headsculpts, they won't any longer accept the same old garbage that they would have bought in the past.

Very interesting posts, gave me alot more to think about. Couple of quick responses

Spitfire - Yeah I agree that the black widow head is very well done. But you have to agree compared to Iron man face sculpt it is alot less recognizable. And I don't mean you show someone a head and ask does this look like black widow but rather if you were looking at a set of heads you would be "OH! thats black widow/Scarlett." But that is something you can definitely do with iron man/war machine/Bruce Willis heads. Maybe it's the sculpted hair, guess we'll have to wait for the new figure to come out.

Fletchirwin71 - I actually forgot about that one, but it is an excellent representation. But you have to keep in mind that that is based off a man made computer generated image so it was probably more prone to being replicated by a person. Still an excellent reproduction.

crusader1xxx - that's an impressive collection but a clarification, I wasn't commenting on the amount of male and female heads available but rather the end result/recognizably/quality of those already present.

Warge - Great video, very interesting to watch thanks for the link.

vince's - yeah I don't get it either, and the most expensive ones are the anime ones, that blond would make a good sniper wolf if her eyes weren't so monstrously large.

jankatana - yeah i've always been interested in how beauty is perceived since my upper level courses in human sexuality and social development. I did read somewhere that overall the mind (male and female) look for symmetry in facial features that that indirectly reflects both genetic material and how it is expressed ensuring a good genetic pool for our offspring

I think mostly everyone touched on a interesting topic. One this interest tends to be male dominated so it seems logical to gear it to more masculine figures. But I am also pretty sure there is a significant amount of male collectors out there who would appreciate good female head sculpts so assuming that the companies are monitoring this how about a +1 for female head sculpts. Also lets not forget the female collectors as well. Another good point I thought of is that maybe it's male sculptures/modelers making the sculpts so maybe they should get some women to work on the female heads.

And Cerberus I'm glad you brought that to my attention, I hope there are some good sculpts on the horizon.

Thanks everyone and show your support for quality female head sculpts!

+1 for female head sculpts

Sorry if i miss interpreted your post...I think if you are really looking for good female sculpts...they are out there..just not a lot of them posted on this forum...this forum is more for the soldier type figures...not female figures.

For female figures you need to go to: Men with dolls, Triads forum and a few of the Japanese or Korean forums to see more life like sculpts...or what a good repaint can do to a barbie like head kind of like these...

" and just what would you do with a Brain, if you had one"? "Prince, harley....come on....Cooper you are such a goofball
    My Photo Album:
    http://s164.photobucket.com/user/cru...?sort=3&page=1

I think these pics serve to illustrate the OP; good though they are they're very much "doll-like" faces rather than the photo-real sculpts that one would see from Hot Toys, SS, etc.

Pretty women are harder to sculpt recognisably then handsome men due to the subtlety of their features. Generally the prettier a girl gets the harder to pin down her characteristic features gets, unless she has an almost cartoonish face to start off with, like Angelina Jolie say.
    But while that's true, I think the difference in availability of realistic male and female sculpts mostly comes down to the market. People who like the realistic look mainly buy Soldier Story Military stuff or Hot Toys Action Movie stuff, both of which by their very nature are focused mostly on male subjects. Anyone with their eye on getting a particular actress done well needs to wait until she plays a superheroine in a film HT has the rights to.

Personally I'm interested in realistic female portraits, but then I like making my own so I'm happy enough.

I'll be honest:

Generally, guys get cooler characters. When I'm shelling out money for a figure, I'm buying a particular character I love. I mainly am interested in Hot Toys figures, and of those, I don't like most of the female characters they've made.

While I'd like to add a female figure to my collection, I'm just not paying $300 for someone I don't love.

With female HS they all always look dolled up and of a fairly young age. Most people wouldnt want a female HS thats old, has facial hair or scars.
    *holds up hands* I would! XD

Agreed with all the above on there being a severe lack of good female sculpts. All the ones I've seen that come with a body always have either incredibly severe and angry expressions or look like they've walked out of an anime. Neither look is necessarily bad but some variety would be nice! I've been attempting to sculpt my own but I'd ideally need some bodies for them to sit on once I'm done so I need to organise that part first...

There are a lot of nice female headsculpts out there already.
    But most of them by far have never been seen with finished paint apps, that are on par with the latest Hot Toys figures.
    The reason so many femme figures look like "Dolls", is simply because their paint apps just aren't good enough to look that realistic up close.

Hot Toys is one of the few companies, which releases female figures that look as good and are a close match to their promo pics.
    I don't know how many times I've gone "Wow!!!" at some company promo pics, only to go "Uugghh!!!" when I've seen the actual figure they release.

It's one of my biggest pet hates, that companies use the "Prototype" dodge to excuse paint apps on the actual figure not looking half as good as the one used in their promotional advert photos.
    (I don't like to get excited only to be disappointed.)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeGk1bgBa7s[/ame]

Obvioulsy any company will use a HS with the best paint apps and choose the photos that flatter it the most, but there should not be such a massive and obvious difference in their quality between the Prototype and Production figures as there still is now.
    I always wait for independant in-hand photos before I buy and refuse to pre-order female figures for this reason.

Great Sculpting Video, where is Part 2 ? Cursader, the Black Haired Sculpt is Your´s ? Where is she from?

Toyscout Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Warge View Post
    Well... First, I recommend this:
    Thanks Warge for the video. I enjoy it tremendously. Really love Jodi. Makes me wonder if that’s how the big guy up there create people in his image. The sheer power and joy of creativity!

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    What gets me is that male headsculpts may cost a few bucks ($25 to $49 e-Bay) and they are really weathered, bearded,scared,bald, hairy whatever.
    But a female head sculpt that looks like a perfect doll instead of a real person, sells well over $100.
    (E-bay).
    Check it out!
    Two words: Sex Sells. The target market is obviously us guys.

I think it comes down to what we find attractive. For me it's the eye's. On crusader's 4 pics the top one "pops" because of the eye's. But that's me. Other's may like the hair length or color, or style. Some can be the make up or lack of. Many find Anne Hathaway amazing, I think she's OK. It's my opinion that it's what draws us in to people or in this case figures in general. my 2 cents.
    Dan DiBiase
    Deering Productions
    www.DeeringProductions.com

I think you have answered your first two questions yourself, otherwise Cloudfilter has summed it up rather nicely. I think maybe some of the manufacturers are trying to cover different markets with female figures, like action, movie related as well as dolls for the ladies. That sort of compromise always makes for a bland and nonspecific product.
    Your last question about how a female face is perceived is interesting. I have spent many hours drawing and sculpting female faces, and the only way I have managed to achieve anything of a likeness is by cold 3 dimensional analysis. Or in other words I try to reproduce what I see of a face without any feelings or subjective thought for the face. Which is not easy staring at a pretty girl for hours !!

Here's how far I have got in 1/6th scale, sorry for the trumpet blowing, but it illustrates, the bit I know about, what I am talking about !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ephiane View Post
    Great Sculpting Video, where is Part 2 ?
    Just make a search on youtube for "creager sculpting lesson" and you'll find all parts.

I guess for some guys the ideal feminine beauty can only be found in a doll like face and not on a real person. That’s why those overpriced doll like female HSs sell like cup cakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Toys Scout View Post
    I guess for some guys the ideal feminine beauty can only be found in a doll like face and not on a real person. That’s why those overpriced doll like female HSs sell like cup cakes.
    There are other factors to consider, like the markets geographic location.
    It seems to me much of the 1/6 industry is geared towards pleasing the Asian markets ahead of all others.

It's very likely that we get the "Doll-like" female headsculpts because that's what the asian market wanted in the past and many manufacturers are slow to change.

But tastes are changing and headsculpts that look more like a real person are gaining in popularity.
    Kumik now has another 'new' female celebrity headsculpt (Chloe Moretz) and while it doesn't look exactly like the actress, it's still a wicked looking headsculpt.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    There are other factors to consider, like the markets geographic location.
    It seems to me much of the 1/6 industry is geared towards pleasing the Asian markets ahead of all others.

It's very likely that we get the "Doll-like" female headsculpts because that's what the asian market wanted in the past and many manufacturers are slow to change.

But tastes are changing and headsculpts that look more like a real person are gaining in popularity.
    Kumik now has another 'new' female celebrity headsculpt (Chloe Moretz) and while it doesn't look exactly like the actress, it's still a wicked looking headsculpt.

I agree - the sculpt has nothing to do with the actress, but is a wonder of realism compared to much of what we have had to deal with. I mean look! The sculpt has bags under the eyes, natural folds in the face and best of all, actual, sculpted eyes! When and where can we get it? Me very happy hobbyist.

I will not cry, I will not cry...

Quote Originally Posted by Warge View Post
    I agree - the sculpt has nothing to do with the actress, but is a wonder of realism compared to much of what we have had to deal with. I mean look! The sculpt has bags under the eyes, natural folds in the face and best of all, actual, sculpted eyes! When and where can we get it? Me very happy hobbyist.
    The Kumik "Chloe Moretz" head is on eBay right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KUMIK-Chloe-...item33800751b2

David
    My Trade Feedback

"I'm afraid of spiders... and women... and spider women!"

Guess you’re right about the manufacturers being slow to change. Why should they when the status quote can still be profitable. HT has changed the game a bit, but I believe the doll-like female face HS will always have strong supporters in spite of the current trend of a more realistic look, as it leaves greater space for imagination and therefore more fun to look at. Actually the more realistic the HS gets, the more subjective people will be toward it, especially when it is based on a real actress or female character.

I don’t own a female HS, doll-like or realistic, but I do notice the trend and progress. It’s not really my cup of tea YET, but I do support the more realistic one. For one thing, it takes greater skill and craftsmanship to get it done right.

There are a lot of nice female headsculpts out there already.
    But most of them by far have never been seen with finished paint apps, that are on par with the latest Hot Toys figures.
    The reason so many femme figures look like "Dolls", is simply because their paint apps just aren't good enough to look that realistic up close.

Hot Toys is one of the few companies, which releases female figures that look as good and are a close match to their promo pics.
    I don't know how many times I've gone "Wow!!!" at some company promo pics, only to go "Uugghh!!!" when I've seen the actual figure they release.

It's one of my biggest pet hates, that companies use the "Prototype" dodge to excuse paint apps on the actual figure not looking half as good as the one used in their promotional advert photos.
    (I don't like to get excited only to be disappointed.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeGk1bgBa7s

Obvioulsy any company will use a HS with the best paint apps and choose the photos that flatter it the most, but there should not be such a massive and obvious difference in their quality between the Prototype and Production figures as there still is now.
    I always wait for independant in-hand photos before I buy and refuse to pre-order female figures for this reason.
    well said, as for realism i think triad toys is making an effort to have beautiful girls, like the eva hs. oh and as Bill Foster said, "I woulda gotcha"