Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    693

    Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Here is my 1/6th scale impression of a hypothetical Federal Security Service Alpha team, or FSB Spetsgruppa Alfa RPK-74 gunner. A special thanks to CXROD, Daewon_ton, alicastrillo, and Otto Skorzeny who all helped to make this figure happen! Here's the breakdown.

    Figure/headsculpt: BBi's MVD Krechet
    Uniform: BBi blister carded accessory pack green Kamysh tiger, updated with pockets, epaulets, and buttons.
    Boots: BBi French Foreign Legion Leon Javert
    Ballistic vest: BBi tan body armor, similar to Krechet armor, with custom painted VSR pattern.
    Helmet: Custom helmet and visor made from DML's GSG-9 helmet. A full tutorial on the helmet is available for those interested. PM me.
    Smersh: Sideshow Gi Joe Cobra desert officer rig, painted with enamels, lower front strap added, with DML Russian canteens and covers, first aid pouch, and custom radio pouch.
    RPG-22: Customized Ultimate Soldier M-72 LAW from blister carded RPG set.
    RPK-74: Marcelo Fuentes resin kit, modified to the 74 configuration.
    VSS Vintorez: Sideshow Zartan, no mods.

    As you can see, I had some construction issues with the helmet visor do to my meat hooks for hands, and lack of patience. Then the dull coat I stippled on to get the rough texture had little white bits floating in it I didn't see until it was too late. I decided to go with only one patch, the subdued Alfa team patch on the right sleeve pocket. The VSS is just for the eye candy. It's just as it came with Zartan, no custom paint or mods. All issues aside, I'm fairly happy with how this figure turned out. Comments, advice, and criticisms welcome!





















  2. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Northville, MI
    Posts
    7,354

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Awesome, awesome work, Matt!
    The helmet really seals the deal though.
    Trade Feedback - Random WIP's
    "Shouldn't this guy have a goatee and a Glock?" - MediumMack *()* "[...] a 1/6 Aberdeen Proving Ground" - JTFazz

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    693

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Sorry about the photo lighting lads! With my work heavy schedule, I have very limited daytime in order to shoot photos. I just don't have the indoor lighting to do proper indoor shoots. I find that slightly overcast days, with no direct sun actually work the best for me. This evening was not the case. I will shoot this figure again.

  5. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Central Valley, CA
    Posts
    883

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    He is looking might fine! Epic work Matt, you really did it this time. Love everything, from the helmet, to the RPK, to the body armor. Speaking of which, did you custom paint that? Again, awesome!!!
    Ask me about my custom Russian and Soviet uniforms!

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    693

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Quote Originally Posted by Casual_Collector View Post
    Awesome, awesome work, Matt!
    The helmet really seals the deal though.
    Thanks CC, glad you like!

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    693

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Quote Originally Posted by Daewon_ton View Post
    He is looking might fine! Epic work Matt, you really did it this time. Love everything, from the helmet, to the RPK, to the body armor. Speaking of which, did you custom paint that? Again, awesome!!!
    Thanks much, I was hoping you'd dig this guy.
    Yes, I did the brown and green VSR squiggles over the tan body armor.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Central Valley, CA
    Posts
    883

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Guess I should have read the damn parts breakdown. I was too excited and skipped over the writing to the pictures. Hahaha
    Ask me about my custom Russian and Soviet uniforms!

  10. #8
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Discovery Bay, Ca
    Posts
    7,541

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa WowTeam RPK Gunner

    wow, this is some brilliant stuff. The helmet is a phenomenal piece of work.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    693

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa WowTeam RPK Gunner

    Quote Originally Posted by zebraten View Post
    wow, this is some brilliant stuff. The helmet is a phenomenal piece of work.
    Man I'm stoked you think so! That's some high praise coming from you. All I see are my mistakes when I look at the helmet.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Buffalo, New York
    Posts
    1,595

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Awesome, the helmet is indeed one of the coolest pieces on him. That 74M is sick too.
    "Qui desiderat pacem præparet bellum."
    -Flavius Vegetius Renatus-

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Houston,Tx area
    Posts
    1,812

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Looks damn good! The RPK74 is really nice,you did a good job on it.

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,662

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Yeah, man! Great fig, how did u do that helmet?

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    773

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    very nice bro,, i like!

  16. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    2,031

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Matt you did an OUTSTANDING job on this figure! The uniform mods look really incredible on your kitted up figure. I'm really digging the helmet and the VSR vest and it's nice to see more pictures of your excellent RPK-74. I'll definitely be sending you a PM for that helmet tutorial.

  17. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Reichskommissariat Kaukasus, Russland
    Posts
    1,046

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Very realistic and highly detailed figure!
    Meine Ehre heißt Treue

  18. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    KS
    Posts
    1,046

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Very nice! I really like all of the custom detail.

  19. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    A little red dot in the Far East
    Posts
    4,267

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Wow! I'm very impressed by the effort and simply blown away out the results! High quality work! Just PM u!

  20. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    México
    Posts
    1,223

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    He looks great!

    Funny how I also sourced some SS tan vests to paint a pattern on them haha.

    The RPK still amazed me after all the work you had showcased a while back, I like it's weathering, modded handguards and the mag, just a question, is that an AUG mag? 'cuse I have one each of DML and Aoshima versions, I'll give it a try later, but what I really want to ask you, is how did you made the sling, or wher did you sourced the hooks from?.
    On a side note about it, if you where to compare Sidesho's paint to yours the VSS would come way lower, it's paint almost looks cartoonish when compared to your RPK

    The RPG-22 is awesome too, I believe you used the printable set that's floating around right?

    The smersh is equally interesting, do you have better pics of it? or a 1:1 pic of that configuration sans custom pouch?

    Great Russian, keep 'em coming!
    I used to be a collector, then I took a paycut to the knee.

  21. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    693

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Suicide Commando, Krechet, crisologo, and Dave70b. Thanks for the awesome feedback guys! I wouldn't be 'bashin figures anywhere near this good without everyone's help. Krechet, it's your fault I'm active here in the first place!

  22. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    693

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Quote Originally Posted by privateERIC View Post
    Yeah, man! Great fig, how did u do that helmet?
    PM'd dude, info. on the way!

  23. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    693

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Quote Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
    Matt you did an OUTSTANDING job on this figure! The uniform mods look really incredible on your kitted up figure. I'm really digging the helmet and the VSR vest and it's nice to see more pictures of your excellent RPK-74. I'll definitely be sending you a PM for that helmet tutorial.
    Much obliged on the compliments. Your one of the guys who helps inspire my work! I'll PM that info. to you.

  24. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    693

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Quote Originally Posted by Otto.Skorzeny View Post
    Very realistic and highly detailed figure!
    Thank you sir. Your "official" approval means very much!

  25. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    693

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Quote Originally Posted by Cpl Ho View Post
    Wow! I'm very impressed by the effort and simply blown away out the results! High quality work! Just PM u!
    Thanks Cpl, PM'd back!

  26. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    693

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Quote Originally Posted by Garaballo View Post
    He looks great!

    Funny how I also sourced some SS tan vests to paint a pattern on them haha.

    The RPK still amazed me after all the work you had showcased a while back, I like it's weathering, modded handguards and the mag, just a question, is that an AUG mag? 'cuse I have one each of DML and Aoshima versions, I'll give it a try later, but what I really want to ask you, is how did you made the sling, or wher did you sourced the hooks from?.
    On a side note about it, if you where to compare Sidesho's paint to yours the VSS would come way lower, it's paint almost looks cartoonish when compared to your RPK

    The RPG-22 is awesome too, I believe you used the printable set that's floating around right?

    The smersh is equally interesting, do you have better pics of it? or a 1:1 pic of that configuration sans custom pouch?

    Great Russian, keep 'em coming!
    Garaballo
    The magazine is from Sideshow's Cobra officer AKS-74U Krinkov. I like the molding, plus the length is close to what the 5.45x39 45 round magazine would be. The sling came from BBi's AK-74 that came with the MVD Krechet figure. The d-rings and hooks were sourced from the carry straps a DML WWII German MG tripod.

    Here's the thread for the RPG placards, courtesy of Scimitar.
    RPG-18 & RPG-22 Instruction Labels

    Here's my thread with better pictures of the painted Smersh.
    https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...g-painted.html

    Thanks for all your interest, and comments!

  27. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    380

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Awesome. Not enough modern non U.S. figures out there now. Great kitbash.

  28. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Apparently, some alternate universe
    Posts
    41,776

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Wowser of an upgrade for Krechet. A real pleasure to look over your bashes for all of the details.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

  29. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    693

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Quote Originally Posted by pukingdog View Post
    Wowser of an upgrade for Krechet. A real pleasure to look over your bashes for all of the details.
    Thank you sir!

  30. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    SO.CALIF
    Posts
    776

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Matt
    Where to begin. There is so much awesome on this page. That helmet has to be one of the best customs ever to pass through this board. The addition of all the pockets and buttons to the BBI Russian Kamysh uniform make it look so great. RPK is a work of art. The custom painted VSR camo on the tan vest sure is a great addition, you have a great hidden skill. The SS Smersh never looked better. 21c RPG gives even more fire power to this already well armed Russian. You have done great work here. Very Very nice.

  31. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    693

    Re: Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner

    Quote Originally Posted by CXROD View Post
    Matt
    Where to begin. There is so much awesome on this page. That helmet has to be one of the best customs ever to pass through this board. The addition of all the pockets and buttons to the BBI Russian Kamysh uniform make it look so great. RPK is a work of art. The custom painted VSR camo on the tan vest sure is a great addition, you have a great hidden skill. The SS Smersh never looked better. 21c RPG gives even more fire power to this already well armed Russian. You have done great work here. Very Very nice.
    Dang it man, ma heed's the size of Sputnik! It's 'UGE! Stop it already...
    Thanks Carlos, I was wondering when you were going to chime in. I really appreciate it. You guys make it all possible. This hobby is great, but all the people involved make it awesome!

Similar Threads

  1. Modern Warfare | Russian with RPK
    By CXROD in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-03-2012, 16:48
  2. Has Hot Toys abandoned the military figures?
    By cheekeongnat in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 167
    Last Post: 08-17-2011, 05:51
  3. Modern Russian Infantry
    By zebraten in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-13-2011, 09:01
  4. Found 2 sets of the BBI Mass Market modern Russian uniform sets on eBay
    By Scimitar in forum Sixth Scale Action Figure News, Reviews, & Discussion.
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 22:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Modern Russian Alfa Team RPK Gunner
[X]