Diorama water help......

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: water help......

water help......

ok, does anyone have any tips for making realistic water ( river, muddy/murky) on a flat surface dio base? i need an appearance of depth without actually pouring any appreciable depth of 'water'.

the diorama is going to be of a single figure standing about knee-deep in a river and peering thru a gap in a reed bank. i already am prepared to cut off the figure's legs a bit below the knees and drill holes for the stumps in the foam of the base. i have some ideas of using acrylic medium ( lots of layers) with murky washes every 3 or 4 layers, and future floor polish for the final gloss coat. i guess what i am looking for is any tips or refinements to this technique, also what is a good base material to use on top of the bare foam and under the layers of acrylic. also how best to make ripples an current lines, but subtle and realistic.

any help would be appreciated, this is the most ambitious project i've undertaken in 1/6 or any kind of modeling for that matter. i think i have the basic concept, but any help on the particulars would be great!

thanks,

rob

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: water help......

Vietnam?

Matthew2388 made this:

According to him:
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew2388 View Post
    The water effect I did using gloss varnish medium in about 10-12 different coats. I 'formed' it as it dried.
    Trade Feedback - Random WIP's
    "Shouldn't this guy have a goatee and a Glock?" - MediumMack *()* "[...] a 1/6 Aberdeen Proving Ground" - JTFazz

no, not 'nam, but good guess. it's bordeaux, actually- with a subject that none of the mfgr's have done, and come to think of it i havent seen any customs either....(actually i remember one, but it was more of their mode of transport than the men themselves). any guesses?

as far as matthew's base, that really is beautiful! the effect i'm looking for is rather murkier, so it doesn't need so much actual depth as an illusion of depth. plus i'm kinda limited to acrylics and other non-toxic, less fumey materials as i'm owned by a parrot (at least he thinks so) and they are very sensitive to and badly affected by toxic fumes.

thanks for the reply!

cheers,
    rob

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I think Mig do pigments for water.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by leontrotsky67 View Post
    no, not 'nam, but good guess. it's bordeaux, actually- with a subject that none of the mfgr's have done, and come to think of it i havent seen any customs either....(actually i remember one, but it was more of their mode of transport than the men themselves). any guesses?
    Op Frankton?

http://people.brunel.ac.uk/~acsrrrm/kayak/cockle.html

Quote Originally Posted by ActionMan View Post
    that's a bingo!

cheers,
    rob

SHould be good.

http://www.deluxematerials.com/ make, IMHO the best scenic products. I have used them. My only issue is the volume - don't get a lot for your money. But I would look at model railway suppliers for different sources of water
    The only easy day...was yesterday