Female Figures Phicen Brown skin tone question

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Phicen Brown skin tone question

Phicen Brown skin tone question

Hello, I'm new to this hobby & I have a question about the Phicen seamless small bust body. I recently acquired the brown/ AA & I'm not all that fond of the head sculpt. I'm wondering what are my options are as for a head swap that matches the skin tone correctly or hoping some of you can help me with some suggestions.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Phicen Brown skin tone question

Unfortunately, choices for female headsculpts in this hobby are more limited than the male ones, and this becomes even more pronounced for darker skin tones. The only match I've seen for the new dark skinned Phicens is the Triad Otaku African-American figure but you may need to mod the head a bit to fit well on the Phicen body. All the other black headsculpts I've looked at (BBi and Takara) are noticeably darker toned.

You may also have luck going to the Barbie aisle or to other mass market toys, though they will tend to be more "doll-y" than realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by edwick View Post
    You may also have luck going to the Barbie aisle or to other mass market toys, though they will tend to be more "doll-y" than realistic.
    That's what I've been looking at so far but most are too light skinned with cheerful expressions. I guess the hunt continues.

Thanks for the info.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Try looking for Fashion Royalty dolls heads on e-bay, etc. They are an up market version of Barbie etc. I cant gaurantee a skin tone match to the Phicen body, but they have done a few African type babes and they are usually cool expressions. You will probably also have to do some modifications to get them to fit the Phicen neck post too. Here is a couple I got a while ago to rework.......

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkplug View Post
    That's what I've been looking at so far but most are too light skinned with cheerful expressions. I guess the hunt continues.

Thanks for the info.
    Yes, just a bit of advice, you might want to ease your expectations on trying to find matching skintones. Too many different manufacturers with different colors for AA. And for the most part, bodies are a different material than the head, so it will be a slightly different tone anyways. I guess Barbies and other true 'dolls' are vinyl bodies, and usually have vinyl heads, so it's a good match, but as far as 'action figures' go, bodies are usually made of ABS or PVC, and heads are usually vinyl or PVC.

But for the most part, femfig collectors prefer rooted hair which comes on vinyl heads, so you have a vinyl head on an ABS body, which makes for two slightly different colors. So, you have to end up with a bit of a compromise.

I have one of the "hindu" skintone phicens on its way, so when it arrives, i'll post some pics of it with a Triad head.

Thanks for the helpful tips, I've found that the Integrity playline Janay might work the best, it seems to have a wider range of dark skin tones. Here's a example I've found.

http://flic.kr/p/7whpLo