Product Review Hot Toys TTM18 Narrow Shoulder Body Quick Review

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot Toys TTM18 Narrow Shoulder Body Quick Review

Hot Toys TTM18 Narrow Shoulder Body Quick Review

I picked up a bunch of these as soon as I found it was available from Toy Hunters here in HK. I just had time to take it out and inspect it. I took a few quick photos to compare it to its closes competitor TTL 2.0 Body from TTL's Air Force Combat Controller figure.

I had an extra loose TTL ABU so it was placed over the HT TTM18 for comparison.

First photo - compares head size and paint application vs an old DML Bad Boy's Will Smith sculpt and the previous HT TT Narrow Shoulder head. Hot Toys has really improved here for a mass production piece! The head has VERY SLIGHT imperfections similar to DID's uneven but realistic skin tones. It is not as pronouced as DIDs however so it gives off a fairly "clean" complexion.

I am not sure if it is better than the HT Xmas 2009 VIP Gift with the same HS but I will compare it when I have time to dig it out.

I did not take a photo of the nude as you can find it everywhere but the finish on all parts of the body this time is MATTE. The previous TT Advance and Narrow were semi-gloss so cloths slid on and off easier. Its very similar to the HT TT Slim with Prince William head in plastic finish.

Second photo compares how the TTL ABU pants fit vs TTL 2.0 body. Waist is smaller than TTL 2.0. It LOOKS to be closer to the HT TT SLIM than the previous Narrow or wide shoulder. Will double check later.

Third photo - both figures with TTL ABU uniform. You can notice right away the shoulder sits lower, the forearm and calves APPEARS to be smaller in diameter, or that specific ABU worn may be cut a tad bigger.

Notice the ARMS are LONGER on TTM18 and TTL 2.0 is much shorter. I will take some rifle holding shots later to see which is more advantageous.

4th - 10th photos - next 7 pictures shows neck and shoulder fitting with the TTL ABU. You can see HT TT Narrow shoulder sits much lower than the TTL 2.0 Body. HT TT's neck is also covered up more due to the raised shoulders. I've compared HT's older TT Wide Shoulder and BBI G3.5 and both sits much higher, making those closer to the TTL 2.0 body.

You can see evidence of an air pocket on the shoulder closeups on the HT TTM18 with this uniform.

11th - 12th photos - shows elbow and knee flexibility. TTL 2.0 wins in pure flexibility, even with clothes on, but TTM18 is close.

Last two photos - compare head paint apps and size to one of TTL's latest figures - TTL's CCT has more detail due to darker skin tone and more pronounced freckles. Size wise both are nearly the same which is more of a good indication for TTL than HT.

Things not shown - overall feel and quality

When I picked up both figures with ABU on, I could not believe how much HEAVIER HT TTM18 felt. It literally felt nearly double the weight which is a good thing since the nude body would cost nearly double over a TTL nude (which does not come with a head) here. Twice the plastic for twice the price is okay with me.

The joints on TTM18 are nicely stiff all the way around. I wiggled all joints to make sure no stress or production damaged had taken place. On this sample, it is still fairly stiff with no weak ankles or sloppy joint feeling. Truly SOLID all the way around.

TTL 2.0 CCT body, which is actually a fresh pull from a MISB, felt broken in already in comparison. It felt like an old BBI G3.5 compared to the snappy DML back in their days. It is not loose, but in direct comparison, you wonder how tight the tolerances are on the TTL 2.0.

Overall, I love everything about the TTM18 except for the severe slope of the shoulders vs the TTL 2.0. With the TTL ABU on, the TTL 2.0 looks more natural. But in the past, I have worn the TTL MC uniform on both a HT wide and previous narrow shoulder and it looked just as good. IT may be this new narrow shoulder slopes a tad more or the uniform is just cut better for TTL's own body.

If you have questions or want to see specific poses or shots, just let me know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hot Toys TTM18 Narrow Shoulder Body Quick Review-20110803_004b-3840-jpg   Hot Toys TTM18 Narrow Shoulder Body Quick Review-20110803_005b-3840-jpg   Hot Toys TTM18 Narrow Shoulder Body Quick Review-20110803_006b-3840-jpg   Hot Toys TTM18 Narrow Shoulder Body Quick Review-20110803_007b-3840-jpg   Hot Toys TTM18 Narrow Shoulder Body Quick Review-20110803_009b-3840-jpg   Hot Toys TTM18 Narrow Shoulder Body Quick Review-20110803_010b-3840-jpg  

Hot Toys TTM18 Narrow Shoulder Body Quick Review-20110803_011b-3840-jpg   Hot Toys TTM18 Narrow Shoulder Body Quick Review-20110803_012b-3840-jpg   Hot Toys TTM18 Narrow Shoulder Body Quick Review-20110803_013b-3840-jpg   Hot Toys TTM18 Narrow Shoulder Body Quick Review-20110803_014b-3840-jpg   Hot Toys TTM18 Narrow Shoulder Body Quick Review-20110803_020b-3840-jpg   Hot Toys TTM18 Narrow Shoulder Body Quick Review-20110803_021b-3840-jpg  

Hot Toys TTM18 Narrow Shoulder Body Quick Review-20110803_022b-3840-jpg   Hot Toys TTM18 Narrow Shoulder Body Quick Review-20110803_023b-3840-jpg   Hot Toys TTM18 Narrow Shoulder Body Quick Review-20110804_001b-3840-jpg  
    Last edited by Valken; 08-03-2011 at 23:33.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Hot Toys TTM18 Narrow Shoulder Body Quick Review

Nice,

Is the body the same colour as the Gambit or darker? I'm more swayed by RM4's now, though I did PO a Muscle last month, I can't believe I have to wait till December to get it. I got a dirt cheap PO price though!

CHEERS!

I like that the flexible toe is pretty standard on figs now it sure makes getting a boot on easy and the boots can be made in a more realistic size.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thank you for the photos. I'm not sure I like how the shoulders slope either.

You can push the shoulders up. That will get rid of the slope.

Nice pics. Thanks for the comparison.

thks for sharing your review

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    Nice,

Is the body the same colour as the Gambit or darker? ...
    I took a picture of TTM18 with HT Slim, and Gambit Narrow Shoulder. Gambit is the lightest, slim next, then TTM18. It is has a "slight" tan to it, but not as tan as the pre-Gambit Narrow shoulder.

The pictures on TH's FB page made me thought there were 2 variants, AA and Caucasion, until I got to the shop and the sales guy laughed at my comment about his dark photos.

I wish HT would come out with an AA Narrow shoulder though. Hard to find good articulated AA bodies unless we go TTL.

Quote Originally Posted by gunm View Post
    Thank you for the photos. I'm not sure I like how the shoulders slope either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kibagami Jubei View Post
    You can push the shoulders up. That will get rid of the slope.
    I pushed the shoulders up and it did fix the slope. The shoulders are nice and tight and now looks as good as the TTL 2.0 with no sloppy feel.

If HT improves the elbow and knee to bend as much as the TTL, which is technically unrealistic, then it pretty much owns in the posing department.

The TTM18 is a very refined and realistic body for posing.
    Last edited by Valken; 08-04-2011 at 05:33.

I see from the pics that it's slightly pink. The Gambit and the 08 were better matches for heads I have than that appears to be. I'm not really up for another Narrow right now. They either need shorter legs or better placement of the neck peg. They end up looking freakishly tall with certain heads and gear on them.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by Valken View Post
    I pushed the shoulders up and it did fix the slope. The shoulders are nice and tight and now looks as good as the TTL 2.0 with no sloppy feel.

If HT improves the shoulder and knee to bend as much as the TTL, which is technically unrealistic, then it pretty much owns in the posing department.

The TTM18 is a very refined and realistic body for posing.
    Which is where Advance TT comes in, better articulation than the standard (TTM18).... a.k.a The Spider-man body.

Does the Adv TT have better articulation than the Narrow Shoulder?
    Aside from the neck post, I thought its just a difference in upper body bulk.
    "If symptoms persist... insult your doctor."

^better neck... wider shoulder articulation... more hips articulation due to rubber pelvis cover. used for spidey, nuff said

Thanks for the comparison pics and review Valken. I think frog cut BDU's always work best with higher sloped shoulders. I always use old HT TT for frog cut BDU's and regular cut BDU's on lower sloped shoulders. Oh, and I think HT should have included an optional higher neck peg for their double jointed necks.

I thought that was what the head it came with had?

CHEERS!

I was looking forward to an improved HS... it seems like they took a step backwards here.

Plus that CCT HS is fantastic.

The pictures show the included neck post + a DML type adapter in the same body color. It looks like the "short" double neck joint to me but I need to find my Advanced TT to compare.

Doly - thats what I thought too but if you push up the shoulders, it can resume the same slope as the older wide shoulder, BBI G3.5 or TTL body type shoulder. Pull it down, it looks to be close to the SS 2.0 bodies.

Beachfly - yes, the TC / TTL CCT HS is awesome. I love it. TC has some great HS in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee View Post
    I thought that was what the head it came with had?

CHEERS!
    I mean the peg that sits on the body/chest. The neck sits too low inside the chest cavity hence the weird short neck look. Alternatively, they could provide extra adapter/extender to fix the design flaw.

Ah, right,

I know what you mean about that, you'd think it'd be something they could adjust. It also leads to giraffe neck when you use heads with necks. Somebody needs to do a universal neck connector that would fit an RM-4. Or failing that one that solves the HT problem.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by BeastX View Post
    Which is where Advance TT comes in, better articulation than the standard (TTM18).... a.k.a The Spider-man body.
    Is it the same TTM16 body you're pertaining to or did they modify the TTM16 body so that the spider-man body would have better articulation?

Quote Originally Posted by SFC-Dusty View Post
    Is it the same TTM16 body you're pertaining to or did they modify the TTM16 body so that the spider-man body would have better articulation?
    It's a black TTM15/16 with exception to the head-neck, forearms (slim) and lower legs of which are new for Spidey

It's a black TTM15/16 with exception to the head-neck, forearms (slim) and lower legs of which are new for Spidey
    Thanks beast.. I thought that the TTM18 and TTM14 is much better than the TTM16..

Whats the head size like? Have you had any probs fitting a helmet on it?

I got the VIP version (eBay, definitley not a very important person!!) and always struggled getting a pot on it. I was presuming it was the exact same cast

Quote Originally Posted by rollotomasi View Post
    Does the Adv TT have better articulation than the Narrow Shoulder?
    Aside from the neck post, I thought its just a difference in upper body bulk.
    Check out the arms bro.. The arms of TTM16 can bend better than the TTM14/18.. Great in aiming poses.. May have something to do with the design of forearms.. The design used for TTM14/18 hinders extreme bending to that of TTM16..

Quote Originally Posted by SFC-Dusty View Post
    Check out the arms bro.. The arms of TTM16 can bend better than the TTM14/18.. Great in aiming poses.. May have something to do with the design of forearms.. The design used for TTM14/18 hinders extreme bending to that of TTM16..
    No the forearms is relatively the same size built and the elbow joints as well, just Adv TT just has added texture. I've more than a few dozen Adv TT/narrow TT/slim TT swap parts around. Aiming to the head level is better with Adv TT due to the greater shoulder articulation... bring the shoulders foward and backward more.

The one change I would like to have seen would have been flatter feet. The rounded balls and heels mean the foot moves too much where you don't want it to. It's like the foot was sculpted as though it's in the air. There's more displacement when your foot is on the ground and the foot sculpt should mirror this.

The DX Bruce Lee feet are a step (pun possible) in the right direction. They are flatter and more planted and the figure stands a lot better.

CHEERS!

I got mine, my first TT (my first nude body as the matter of fact), still confuse how to kitbashing this boy. Been browsing through the net, and got the fact that this body will give very flat appearance when you look at it from side part if you gave it the wrong uniform. It look like it got no back...
    Is it the way it is or my eyes deceived me ?

Just got mine and I'm a little disappointed by the paint job on the headsculpt. Seems a bit too pale and lacking in definition. Definitely not on a par with the Lincoln Burrows sculpt from last year.

Also, the head is pretty large- if you're thinking of putting the figure into the HT Platoon outfit (as I was) you can forget about putting the helmet on. It's way too small to fit.

No the forearms is relatively the same size built and the elbow joints as well, just Adv TT just has added texture. I've more than a few dozen Adv TT/narrow TT/slim TT swap parts around. Aiming to the head level is better with Adv TT due to the greater shoulder articulation... bring the shoulders foward and backward more.
    The TTM14/18's brachioradialis muscle.. it somehow affects the degree of bending.. compared to the "smaller/flatter" brachioradialis muscle of the TTM16.. I compared the two before I bashed them that's why I was able to notice the difference.. And that's my primary reason why I was eager to swap my TTM18 body for a HT Barnes.. The HT Barnes uses the TTM16's forearms which bends better than the usual TTM14/18 narrow.. Even though the degree of bending is not that extremely relevant.. And you're right about the shoulder articulation.. I guess my only gripe with the TTM16 is the "Short Neck Syndrome"..

The body stains easy. There's a layer of matte paint on the body.

Thanks for the review and pics
    KOTM Co-Winner November 2006 ( w/gaiagear ) Co-Winner December 2006 ( w/Bfett ) Winner January 2007