Cold War (Vietnam) Nam era web belts, does anyone make one you can't break!?

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Nam era web belts, does anyone make one you can't break!?

Question Nam era web belts, does anyone make one you can't break!?

Hi folks,

I'm asking this question as I have another Nam bash in the works and have broken just about every web belt I've ever had. Only 2 Nam ones remain and they are DML and are a bit pants anyway.

The parts I keep breaking are the clasps that do the belt up at the waist. Why on earth they can never make these out of metal is beyond me! I always snap them trying to get them on or off.

So, did anybody make one where these parts are sturdy enough not to break? I broke the last TS/Wild Work one I had. Are Soldier Story or HT any better?

CHEERS!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: Nam era web belts, does anyone make one you can't break!?

I always broke the web belt claps on those ancient Vietnam ultimate soldier uniform sets. Never had any problem with the ts belts though, what kind of kung fu grip are you applying to the poor things?

Well anyway, the ss ones are pretty delicate. It's pretty much their ww2 pistol belt died green so you have to be careful that the little round part of the clasp doesn't snap off.

the hot toys ones are bit wonky looking in the clasp configuration but they are more sturdier than the ss ones.

edit:

wait, did you mean the part in the middle or the 4 (well 2 in ts belts) things to the side?

I made some new belt buckles out of paper clips bent into shape and spray painted black. THEY won't break LOL.
    Trade Feedback - Random WIP's
    "Shouldn't this guy have a goatee and a Glock?" - MediumMack *()* "[...] a 1/6 Aberdeen Proving Ground" - JTFazz

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by blackadam View Post
    I always broke the web belt claps on those ancient Vietnam ultimate soldier uniform sets. Never had any problem with the ts belts though, what kind of kung fu grip are you applying to the poor things?

Well anyway, the ss ones are pretty delicate. It's pretty much their ww2 pistol belt died green so you have to be careful that the little round part of the clasp doesn't snap off.

the hot toys ones are bit wonky looking in the clasp configuration but they are more sturdier than the ss ones.

edit:

wait, did you mean the part in the middle or the 4 (well 2 in ts belts) things to the side?
    I've managed to break them in every place, and yes I do mean the parts you do the belt up with.

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by Casual_Collector View Post
    I made some new belt buckles out of paper clips bent into shape and spray painted black. THEY won't break LOL.
    Now that isn't a bad idea! I have used black twisties in the past.

CHEERS!

How did you break them? Where you trying to get them around the flak jacket or something and pulled on them too hard or are you trying to get them very close tied around the waist of your figure? I have yet to break my DML or TUS NAM belts, but I once broke a ALICE belst for some reason. I think you should apply less pressure on them.

But yes, if nothing helps, make them out of metal clips.
    "Doing what I can, with what I've got." Burt Gummer

"A man got to know his limitations" Dirty Harry

Both the HT and SS belts are sturdy enough in my experience. SS ones are almost impossible to find now though and the HT ones are becoming increasingly rare.

I broke the majority of them either undoing them or doing them up. The Wild Work/TS one will suffice for now, but, I will keep my eyes peeled for any SS or HT ones. They should make them out of etched metal.

CHEERS!

My Soldier Story belts seem to be fine. Best of luck finding them now though. Sigh no nam releases for a while now.

I have the old DML M1956 Pistol belts and never had a problem with them. You can try Red Planet Toys for cloth ones but you will still need the buckle attachments. I am sure they still have them.

If you mean the one that came with Mike then I have one, it's intact, but it looks really dated. I'll check RPT out though.

CHEERS!

I mostly have problems with the eyelets coming off.
    I noticed that using like a small paper clip or a needle to kind of open the hole a bit or clear out the paint.
    This helps as not to force the wire holder into the hole and popping the eyelet out.
    I also noticed that the elastic in the belt wears out and sags, but it looks better this way.
    I am speaking about the belts of the Platoon figures of 2002.

I hate the wire thingies on the pouches that go into the eyelets, I can very rarely get them on.
    I so wish the manufacturers would attach everything that needs to go on that way.

CHEERS!

I settled for one from the HT Barnes as it looks to have metal belt fastenings, I doubt I'll break them!

CHEERS!

I got the Barnes belt today and it's perfect, exactly what I wanted!

CHEERS!