1/6 stores in Austin Texas???????

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: 1/6 stores in Austin Texas???????

1/6 stores in Austin Texas???????

Flying out tonight for a Flash convention. Any brick and mortars stores in Austin?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It's kinda slim pickins around here I am afraid. Pretty much all of the places I am familiar with are on the North end of town too.
    First, there is Kings' Hobby on North Lamar. They just have a handful of DML and maybe a BBI or two, ...and I haven't been there in months so I am not sure about their stock. They have tons of modelling supplies though, including RC, trains, rockets, as well as military models, ...and a huge selection of Osprey books.
    There is also a gun store called Advanced Armorments a few miles up I-35 in Round Rock. They have had a decent selection and reasonable prices. The owner is a collector, so he sells and trades, but, once again, I haven't been there in some time, so I don't know what his stock looks like or anything.
    There is also Wonko's Toys and Games up Hwy 183. I have not had a chance to go there yet, so I have only heard about them from friends who have been, but I know that they at least stock Sideshow Toys figures.
    Oh yeah, and if you are downtown on 6th Street, there is a shop called Aaron's rock n' roll a few blocks from the Interstate. They mostly have t-shirts and novelty junk, but I know that they used to stock Sideshow figures there as well. And the owner, Gary, is a really cool guy. If you are out on 6th you should stop by there and check them out anyway.
    You should also check out Dragon's Lair comics on Burnet Rd if you have time. They rarely have much in the way of 1/6th, but have tons of comics and gaming supplies. Definitely worth a look IMO.
    Good luck. You should have a good time in any case. There are plenty of live music venues and clubs downtown to keep you busy during your down-time.
    --See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil--

Thanks! Actually I'm right on 6th and I saw that store. I will definitely check it out.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

There is effectively no 1/6th in Austin. King's is an awesome hobby shop but for 1/6th, forget it. Last I checked they had ONE Nick Cage Windtalkers fig for 60 bucks and had the Normandy Beach guy from a couple years back for 90, which finally sold I believe. But if you like plastic kits and finishing supplies --- they are awesome!

For comics, hit AUSTIN BOOKS on 51st and Lamar. There really is no comparison. Dragon's Lair is OK, but is heavily weighted towards manga/anime, and role-playing games.

I've not heard of the stores noted by Rebel Ape. Wonko's has an ad in the paper every now and then but its really far away from Central Austin and I just don't do that.

He's pretty much right about Austin being a 1/6th desert. Kings used to have a dozen or so DML figs years back, but sounds like they have pretty much nothing now.
    Wonkos, as I found out, actually only stocks Sideshow in 1/6th so it probably isn't worth the drive.
    Advanced Armorments in Round Rock, ironically, had the best stock of TUS figures and weapons I had seen outside of a TRU. But, I haven't been there in over a year so I don't know if that's still the case.

Personally, I don't go to Austin Books. I had some credit there on a trade I made with them, and they were dicks to me when I took too long to use it up. That was several years ago, but I'll never go there again.

I also forgot about Hog Wild on North Loop Dr. They almost exclusively carry vintage toys, including a little old-school 1/6th. But it is a really cool shop, and the owner, Jon Dorn, is a heckuva nice guy too.
    --See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil--