Jerry "MadDog" Shriver Vietnam SOG "updated 1/29/07

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerry "MadDog" Shriver Vietnam SOG "updated 1/29/07

Jerry "MadDog" Shriver Vietnam SOG "updated 1/29/07

Mad Dog! In the late 1960s, no Special Forces trooper at Ft. Bragg even breathed those top secret letters, "S-O-G," but everyone had heard of the legendary Studies and Observations Group Green Beret recon team leader, Sergeant First Class Jerry Shriver, dubbed a "mad dog" by Radio Hanoi. It was Jerry Shriver who'd spoken the most famous rejoinder in SOG history, radioing his superiors not to worry that NVA forces had encircled his tiny team. "No, no," he explained, "I've got 'em right where I want 'em -- surrounded from the inside."

Fully decked out, Mad Dog was a walking arsenal with an imposing array of sawed-off shotgun or suppressed submachine gun, pistols, knives and grenades. "He looked like Rambo," First Sergeant Billy Greenwood thought. Blond, tall and thin, Shriver’s face bore chiseled features around piercing blue eyes. "There was no soul in the eyes, no emotion," thought SOG Captain Bill O’Rourke. "They were just eyes."

Mad Dog -- the Man and the Myth

There was no one at CCS quite like Mad Dog Shriver. Medal of Honor recipient Jim Fleming, who flew USAF Hueys for SOG, found Shriver, "the quintessential warrior-loner, anti-social, possessed by what he was doing, the best team, always training, constantly training." Shriver rarely spoke and walked around camp for days wearing the same clothes. In his sleep he cradled a loaded rifle, and in the club he'd buy a case of beer, open every can, then go alone to a corner and drink them all. Though he'd been awarded a Silver Star, five Bronze Stars and the Soldiers Medal, the 28-year-old Green Beret didn’t care about decorations.

But he did care about the Montagnard hill tribesmen, and spent all his money on them, even collected food, clothes, whatever people would give, to distribute in Yard villages. He was the only American at CCS who lived in the Montagnard barracks. "He was almost revered by the Montagnards," O'Rourke says.

Shriver's closest companion was a German shepherd he'd brought back from Taiwan which he named Klaus. One night Klaus got sick on beer some recon men fed him and crapped on the NCO club floor; they rubbed his nose in it and threw him out. Shriver arrived, drank a beer, removed his blue velvet smoking jacket and derby hat, put a .38 revolver on a table, then dropped his pants and defecated on the floor. "If you want to rub my nose in this," he dared, "come on over." Everyone pretended not to hear him; one man who'd fed Klaus beer urged the Recon Company commander to intervene. The captain laughed in his face.

"He had this way of looking at you with his eyes half-open," recon man Frank Burkhart remembers. "If he looked at me like that, I'd just about freeze."

Shriver once went up to SOG’s Command and Control North for a mission into the DMZ where Captain Jim Storter encountered him just before insert. "He had pistols stuck everywhere on him, I mean, he had five or six .38 caliber revolvers." Storter asked him, "Sergeant Shriver, would you like a CAR-15 or M-16 or something? You know the DMZ is not a real mellow area to go into." But Mad Dog replied, "No, them long guns'll get you in trouble and besides, if I need more than these I got troubles anyhow."

Last edited by TF Dagger; 01-29-2007 at 21:35.
    Hey Blondie... do you know what you are?

Hijo de una gran putaaaaaaaaaa!!!"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Some men live their lives bigger than life itself. Shriver will be a legend as long as Special Forces is in existance.

http://www.taskforceomegainc.org/s139.html
    Remember. It just takes the last ???????, with the last AK, and the last magazine for your mother to have a real bad day.

My Comliments!!

TF Dagger,

Please accept my sincerest compliments on a great figure and a very, very thorough summary of Mad Dog's legacy. He is a SOG legend. My compliments on your research....BTW: Where did you find that Mad Dog pulled a mission in the DMZ with CCN??

Forgive ther question, but is that a custom head sculpt?

Again, nice job!!!

Jack

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

within two hours away from east coast spec.ops (Army, Navy, and USMC)
    I would like to see the following made.

Capt. Roger H.C. Donlon: First MOH recipient in VN.
    Col. Arthur "Bull" Simons
    Capt. Richard "Dick" Meadows
    Col. James "Nick" Rowe:

Ditto For Me

saw249man:

I second your recommendations and add an addtional plug for the "Bull" and Dick Meadows!! I think a "Son Tay" twinpack of "Bull" and Meadows would be awesome (I can dream, can't I???)

Hell, I'd settle for someone to do those head sculpts!!

Regards

Jack

Thanks for the bash and thorough background on the legend......
    "Other people's illusion of safety does not supersede my human rights." -Gabe Suarez

Awesome bash man! Way to go! I remember reading a book about SOG and it had "Maddog" in there. I think it even had a photo of him. Great work man!
    Second place is first loser!

Great stuff mate, I really dig the the history that went with it.You have obviously done some research.Thanks for sharing the pics.

Cool figure,and great info.

Very cool figure and story. It appears as though Jack knows all about these characters too...
    Maintiens le Droits

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Team ASP
    TF Dagger,

Please accept my sincerest compliments on a great figure and a very, very thorough summary of Mad Dog's legacy. He is a SOG legend. My compliments on your research....BTW: Where did you find that Mad Dog pulled a mission in the DMZ with CCN??

Forgive ther question, but is that a custom head sculpt?

Again, nice job!!!

Jack
    Jack most of the info I got on MadDog came from John L. Plaster's books thats were I found out that Maddag idea of R&R was to go to CCN or CCC and go over the borader with the teams there and I had a long chat with Frank Greco (Running Recon) about Maddog.

One stroy I love about Maddog was that he was fluent in both Vietnamese and Russian. He would dress up as a Russian officer and boldly walk into a NVA encampment and begin scolding and berating the NVA soldiers, During the ensuing confusion, Maddog would note their numbers and defenses and readiness, then he got the hell out of there.

The Head sculpt is a DML German I had that looks alot like the real Maddog.

Imitation isthe Sincerest Form of Flattery

TF Dagger,

Okay, since imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, would you mind sharing what German figure you used as your Mad Dog??

Thanks!

Jack

BTW: Anyone out there have any suggestions who might do a custom head sculpt from a photo??

Excellent Figure. It's not the latest BDU or Black Ops or Fallujah Marine, so I say it's very nice. THe dog adds a wonderful touch!

DYE-GSG90

Sorry Jack
    I dont know the name of the German Fig I use as I have not collected Germans in about 3 yrs or more. It has to be one of the early ones DML made.

Dagger, I made damn near the exact same figure more than a year ago (never completed though, infact, he's sitting across from me with no trousers).
    Anway, AWSOME figure, of an great man.
    Head sculpt is Krieger, the 2nd FallKraut, same one I used infact..

That is awesome story and figure.
    Sadly, I used to have that dog, it is SOTW, I believe. I gave it to my cousin who started to collect gijoes.

That is one great figure! I loved the back-ground info also

Sounds like good movie material.
    What became of him? Did he survive his tours?
    "Peace through superior firepower".

Again, nice figure and tribute to an awesome solider. Spartan, I dont think he survived his tours, I read it in a book and I think he came out MIA. I could be wrong but I beleive thats what happened
    Second place is first loser!

MAd Dog Status

MK 23,

Mad Dog was lost along the Cambode-Viet border in Spring 1969 (April seems to stick in my mind; I need to check the details).

He was part of a Hatchet Force doing a BDA. They landed literally in the middle of an NVA HQ. Mad Dog was last seen leading a charge into a tree line. He was neevr seen again.

He was declared dead after the war, but USG considers him unaccoutned for and we continue to search for leads that could help us locate a site and put in a recovery/excavation team. Even as I write this, the U.S. Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command has a team in Cambdoia running down leads on many of the guys still missing in that country (55). Hopefully information from those leads can be correlated to missing guys and we can recover their remans and bring them home.

It would be great to bring Mad Dog home, but ground losses are among our toughest challenges (an aircraft crash leaves debris and evidence; not so usually with a ground loss). We will keep trying, not just for Mad Dog, but for the remaining 1,800 guys still unaccoutned for from the Vietnam War.

Take care

Jack

On the morning of April 24, 1969, Shriver's hatchet platoon was air
    assaulted into Cambodia by four helicopters. Upon departing the helicopter,
    the team had begun moving toward its initial target point when it came under
    heavy volumes of enemy fire from several machine gun bunkers and entrenched
    enemy positions estimated to be at least a company-sized element.
    Shriver was last seen by the company commander, Capt. Paul D. Cahill, as
    Shriver was moving against the machine gun bunkers and entering a tree line
    on the southwest edge of the LZ with a trusted Montagnard striker. Capt.
    Cahill and Sgt. Ernest C. Jamison, the platoon medical aidman, took cover in
    a bomb crater. Cahill continued radio contact with Shriver for four hours
    until his transmission was broken and Shriver was not heard from again. It
    was known that Shriver had been wounded 3 or 4 times. An enemy soldier was
    later seen picking up a weapon which appeared to be the same type carried by
    Shriver.
    On June 12, 1970, a search and recovery element from a graves registration
    unit recovered human remains that were later identified as Sgt. Jamison, but
    no trace was found of Shriver.
    Jerry Shriver's friends claim they
    heard on "Hanoi Hannah" that "Mad Dog" Shriver had been captured. They
    wonder if he is among the hundreds said to be alive today.

Mad Dog Details

TF Dagger,

Thanks for filling in the details of Mad Dog's loss.

Personal opinion: The Viets had a price on Mad Dog's head. If they captued him, I think they would have tried for some PR benefit (you know: Yankee Imperalist running dog captured in neutral Cambodia, that type of garbage.) To the best of my knowledge, there is no concrete information substantiating Mad Dog's capture.

Jack

TF Dagger,

Thanks for filling in the details of Mad Dog's loss.

Personal opinion: The Viets had a price on Mad Dog's head. If they captued him, I think they would have tried for some PR benefit (you know: Yankee Imperalist running dog captured in neutral Cambodia, that type of garbage.) To the best of my knowledge, there is no concrete information substantiating Mad Dog's capture.

Jack
    Hey Jack
    how are you buddy? I hear what your saying but the Viets would never had said they captued any american in Cambodia at that time. The Viets and the U.S. were not suppose to be in Cambodia in 1969. I can't say for sure but I don't think any American that got captured in Cambodia ever came back. (Nick Rowe is the only one I know and he escape 5 yrs after he was captued)

Mad Dog

Hey TF Dagger,

Hope this finds you well.

I don't disagree with your assessment about the Viets and Mad Dog. And since the Viets denied (and until recently, continued to deny) that they had troops in Cambdoia (and Laos), to admit they had Mad Dog would mean they would have had to admit to being in a coutnry where they said they weren't. Personal opinion: If they did capture Mad Dog that day, he probaly pissed them off so much they killed him. Finding where they buried him is the challenge we face.

Surprisingly, we had several guys who escapted VC/NVA captivity. Nick Rowe is among the most famous. He was captured in '63 down in the Delta (IV Corps) and escaped New Year's Eve 1968. His memoir, Five Years to Freedom is a classic. Although he was lost near the Cambodian border, I don't think he escaped from Cambodia; I believe he was in South Vietnam when he escaped.

Another famous escapee, this time from Laos, is Navy LT Dieter Dengler. His A1 went down in '65 ('66 maybe??). He and several other Americans attempted an escape, but everyone else was either killed, recaptured, or disappeared into the Lao jungle. I just read that someone is either going to film his memoir (title escapes me) or it has already been filmed and will be released this fall (spring??). Please forgive: the memory is the first to go......

And there is one SOG guy (again, memory fails, guys, sorry) who was captured in Laos and the Bad Guys staked him out in a clearing hoping to lure Americans to a trap. A Viet Kingbee (ARVN AF 219th Helicopter Squadron -- Call sign Kingbees) happened to fly over, see him, and put down and some Good Guys (possibily the chopper crew) grapped him and hauled him to safety.

Sorry to get carried away with war stories...

TF Dagger, keep those SOG guys coming!!!!

Take care

Jack

Another famous escapee, this time from Laos, is Navy LT Dieter Dengler. His A1 went down in '65 ('66 maybe??). He and several other Americans attempted an escape, but everyone else was either killed, recaptured, or disappeared into the Lao jungle. I just read that someone is either going to film his memoir (title escapes me) or it has already been filmed and will be released this fall (spring??). Please forgive: the memory is the first to go......
    Sorry to get carried away with war stories...
    The movie is "Rescue Dawn". Here's a link:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0462504/

Thanks

Thanks AFSOC.

I hope they do the story justice. Although it's been a while since I last saw it, as I recall they took quite a few liberties in the movie version of BAT-21.

Thanks for link.

Regards

Jack

I got a new camera for my Birthday so new updated PICS.

You two can carry on with story time for as long as you like. This has been one of the most informative threads ever posted here, and I for one hope to read more.

Thank you.

Clay

Great SOG Recon Team.

One word....B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!
    Keep your heads down and rifles at hand
    trade reference
    https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ad.php?t=44851