sideshow hot toys bodies?

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: sideshow hot toys bodies?

sideshow hot toys bodies?

I picked up a Sideshow Flint today MIB for 90 bucks, good deal I think. I got it at Midtown comics new store on Fulton Street in NYC,-25% off everything in the store through December 9th.
    My question is, does Sideshow utilize lower end Hot Toys bodies for their GI Joe and Star Wars figures?

I recall that starting with the Obi-Wan in clone trooper armor, there was a Hot Toys logo on the box, and the box stated "in collaboration with Hot Toys"
    This appeared on the first couple of releases after that, then disappeared, but the bodies appear to be lower end Hot Toys sculpts, and the heads fit perfectly on a Hot toys body.
    The hand pegs are also Hot Toys design.

Sideshow has apparently stopped using their own body design (Thankfully-while it was durable, the proportions were always a little off and even their most muscular body was scrawny compared to the Hot Toys muscle body.) and are using the new Hot toys like body for all of their 12 inch releases.

The joints also seem to have a "ratchet like" movement to them, especially on the G.I. Joe figures.
    I've also noticed that in the last 5 or so years, Sideshow will carry almost if not every Hot Toys release, so it seems that a collaboration on the Sideshow bodies would be a natural progression of their partnership.

I know a lot of guys slam sideshow G.I. Joe figures on this board, but I love them-even at 120 a figure that is still less than a Hot Toys figure and the quality is still very high compared to a mass market release.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Re: sideshow hot toys bodies?

They way I understand, SideShow now does U.S. distribution for Hot Toys. They did collaborate on some SideShow bodies, but only for "armored" figures, at least in my understanding. I am fairly certain that the bodies on the SideShow GI Joe line are in fact SideShow Prometheus bodies, and not affiliated with HT.

That's what I know, that only the bodies in armor, bearing the body Sideshow development in collaboration with hot toys

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I thought HT collaborated on both bodies, the necks on the Prometheus and TT are identical. HT must have done more with the armoured bodies thus the need to have their logo on it.

CHEERS!

It's a common misconception but HT had nothing to do with the Pro bodies. They only helped with the Hobbit and Armored bodies which should be self evident as the hobbit and armored bodies are very similar to the True Type while the Pro is some weird sculpt/articulation mess that only looks human if you squint and maybe are blind while doing so.

yeah, I just kit bashed the Flint figure for a Punisher bash-my first look at the body underneath the G.I. Joe, very weird looking, but it still looks good when dressed.

Along with the armored bodies, I'm pretty sure Hot Toys also helped SS with the Hobbit bodies.

Yeah, as I mentioned. Likewise it seems Sideshow also shares licenses with HT such as was the case with Hellboy and I think maybe T2.