The 1/6 hobby. Is it such a chore??

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 1/6 hobby. Is it such a chore??

The 1/6 hobby. Is it such a chore??

I see a lot of people coming in and leaving this hobby on and off. Collecting buddies suddenly tells me they are tired of this hobby and have decided to move on to other collection.
    That leads me to a thought. What started them in this hobby could be what prompted them to leave it and start another. So what makes them think that by collecting other stuffs, they will not get sick of it one day and decided to call it a day and move on to another newer stuffs to collect?
    What makes me stay in this hobby for more then 6 years now? After some thinking, I came out with this little roadmap of collecting stages specific to 1/6 only.

Stage 1 - New Collector's phase
    Buy boxsets off the shelves, open them up and display as it is.

Stage 2 - All possibilities phase
    Starts to do kitbash between gear from different box figs they have. This phase is the most exhilirating because the collector will know that their kitbash is the one and only unique figure only he himself had.
    Online forums will play a big part here when the posted picture of his unique bash receives good feedbacks from fellow collectors. Favourable feedbacks means approval and approval from the same kind () speaks more then anything else

Stage 3 - Kitbash with better quality gear
    Collectors moved on to this stage when off the box parts are no longer state of the art or no longer unique enough. They start to buy "designer 1/6" stuffs ie ACE, TS, other cottage industry's custom parts (ie Newline). Pays big bucks to get a bigger bang out of their kitbash.

Stage 4 - Self modification of existing parts and Self made simple parts.
    Some collectors wanted to do a bash with accuracy. But though big the 1/6 world is, many parts are not made by any manufacturer ever. They started to make their own parts... simple parts like wrist bands, change rubber straps to nylon ones, weather (and I mean proper weathering) their gear etc, weapon modifications. Anything that requires secondary work on off-the-shelf parts.

Stage 5 - Get your 1/6 to behave like you
    We are entering into an advance stage. factory churned headsculpts no longer satisfy the taste of individual. It does not depict / reflect the mood of the bash you want to do. Add moustache, repaint the sculpt to have an almost life like features, the eyes can deliver messages. Rework the body so that it can achieve a much human like pose.

Apart from these stages, some other factors also serves to help a collector maintain this hobby for a long time to come :

Factor 1 - Most of the collectors that stayed in this hobby longer then the others are mostly with plastic modelling background. Those 1/35 scale military modelling for example. All that modelling skills will also come in handy for the bigger scale 1/6 hobby.

Factor 2 - They have a deep interest in Military history. Keen eye and interest in Military gear. What gear was used in which era and what is not. Going out for trying to achieve accuracy with this knowledge on their 1/6 hobby.

Factor 3 - Will not stinge on buying book for reference. Many a times, collectors always have a dilemma on rather spending the money on figures then on reference books. I should say saving pictures on your PC and having a reference book on hand is not the same.

Factor 4 - Have a creative mind and keen sense that are able to create beautiful picture presentation of their bashes. Have a good looking kitbash that takes up 10hrs of your time to complete. Couple with a good picture presentation, the satisfaction is immense.

Factor 5 - Recognition from fellow collectors.

Most of the collecting buddies I knew fell out of the game on Stage 2 or 3. And they are at least missing 3 of the factors listed. Many quote that they have ran out of space. Space may be a constraint in our tiny country but I hardly think that can contribute one's loss of love for a hobby. You can stop/slow down the buying and start the "upgrading" of existing figures rather then to end the hobby totally. Is this hobby all about buying, buying, buying??
    I only knew a handful of guys in Singapore that had gone on beyond stage 4. For me, I am sitting on Stage 4 and trying to break into Stage 5 now. It has taken me 6 years to come here. I have factors 1 - 3 and are working on 4. As for Factor 5, it is up to my peers to judge
    I love this hobby even after these years. I do not deny at times, I have lost some of the interest in it and got sidetracked somewhere for awhile. But I always comes back. I think 1/6 will always be my 1st love - hobby wise hehe - and there will sure be many good years ahead.

My take and 2 cents on the 1/6 hobby.
    Go 1 down to advance 2 up
    Red6

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

That's a fair list. Good points.

I think alot of waning interest can be attributed to the lack of motivation created by not challenging yourself. Concentrating on only one genre, or era, or manufacturer, or "standard" to live up to that has been artificially created by others. Why is *blankblankblank* manufacturer's product the goal to which I should limit myself? Because others say so?

A hobby should first and foremost be a source of pleasure and/or relaxation. In this male-dominated hobby, much satisfaction is acheived by "conquering" something that had proved a challenge beforehand. No need to stop at a Sculpey moustache. Can't sew? Learn how, conquer that limit you have placed on yourself by saying "I can't" and wrongly believing it.

Keep things new. Expand your hobby with dioramas or bases. Take your JOES outside for a day in the mud.

Everybody is capable of at least trying.

Thats a nice list, personally Im between step 3 and 4, I love Gucci gear. Ive recently been on a buying crave of ACE and TS High Speed gear god I love that stuff. If I were a PMC (my favorite subject) Id only have the best gear and I try to outfit my action figures with the best gear.

The 1/6 hobby is a very cool hobby and its very easy for some to get sidetracked . I was working on a Brit my first ever, but guess what I got sidetracked. Im now working on 2 man PMC Close Proctection Team. How I got sidetracked you ask, well while browsing the web I came across severral ACE sets that I missed out on and had to have them. So thats why Im working on my new project and I still have more gear to get to complete project.

Being in the Military once I do have a curiosity not an interest, which may explain why some leave the hobby after a while. Unless youre retired or are in the 1/6 hobby as a business life does take its toll on the hobby.

As far as reference books are concerned my first was SpecFigures2, which is a great Mook in my opinion and has helped me enjoy this hobby even more.
    An AK a day keeps the bad guys away.

My Trades/Wants List

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Im a stage 3 Factor 2! Great thread!

That is a good observation and study of the hobby. I've been collecting for just a couple of years earlier than you and appear to have gotten pretty much stuck on stage 3. I even have MIB figures and stuff that I have yet to open. In as far as leaving the hobby...not just yet. I'm still enjoying my figs and their bits and pieces, and still having fun and learning a lot from 1/6th forums, particularly our own OSW. And, I still enjoy some of you very talented guys' works, such as USMCWayne's 1/6th pic war magazines, cracktroop's art, gaiagear's bashes, how to's, etc.
    Last edited by jlg1md; 05-18-2006 at 22:50.

Porkins you have made some great observations and i agree with them all.Its a great idea to lay them out like that cause anyone thats in a rut and thinks their at the end of their 1/6 days can see that there are always more ways to get more satisfaction out of the hobby.Personally,I was only ever gonna collect the DML NAM series,once i acheived that, i felt that this is it, its all over.Then i got wiser realising that there were other manufactuers,you could buy parts,ordering from overseas is not that scary.Up until 8 months ago i would never dreamed of buying from overseas let alone on the net, now i have 27 NAM figures and i aint finished.So all these stages & factors you have mentioned are so valid to me.This is a great thread Porkins and i'm sure it will help alot of people who are maybe in a 1/6 rut or just dont know how to take their hobby to the next level.

I am so glad that you guys find this thread useful Thats all I meant it to be, nothing else.
    Go 1 down to advance 2 up
    Red6

A clandestine operational base well-hidden in a Michigan rural area.
    Very interesting and very astute observations on that list. Enlightening, I'd say. Plenty of food for thought, if one were so inclined.
    "I live in my own little world. But it's OK. They know me here."

"No healthy person willingly heaps abuse upon another struggling soul."

im in between stage 2,3

i have none of the factors you listed. but i am more into superhero, videogame,movie, fantasy stuff, and only dabble in the military stuff.

stage 6: Mad scientist. Nothing is "collectible". everything is custom fodder to be ground up and reworked into what we want it to be. every figure of every scale, every household item, everything in every store. all of it is nothing but raw materials.... if it doesn't exist we create it.

Great post.

Right now I'm probably a stage 4, factor 4 collector.

Nicely done Kenny, and good observations in the replies. I agree that enjoyment's the key, a simple indicator of "getting it right". Out of the box, completely re-done, or built from scratch, it's all good, to me.
    Enjoying yourself, enjoying others' interests, work, and ideas, and mutual respect and consideration go a long ways in this hobby.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

Well observed, Porkins – and Auret LOL. That's what this hobby is all about and hopefully this thread will make those who think they are going nowhere with it change their mind.

With all the figs that have been released and those which keep coming, I figure one could stay in stage 1 and still be happy.

As for myself, I've been collecting and bashing for five years now and coming slowly into stage 5. And I surely reunite the first four factors.
    And I am not ready to quit, I have boxes full of nudes and parts waiting to be bashed, too many ideas and too few time. I enjoy each moment I am working on my projects as well as seeing others’ being displayed, a great source of talents and inspiration.

Eric

Ahhh, great post Kenny. If really have to put it, I'm floating around stage 4 & 5 and inching a little beyond that. However, almost most of the time I forget where I am, and simply just drowning myself into the fun of playing with mandollies as simple as that.

Wow what a list...put's it all into perspective for sure. Thanks for your effort Porkins.
    "Other people's illusion of safety does not supersede my human rights." -Gabe Suarez

Yea I think it’s called a hobby for a reason...

Been doing it for 29 years and the key is to have a full life and not to let any hobby take over your life. I have found a balance between the 1/6 world and my own world.

I have always been a huge fan of scale modeling and found that planning and executing a bash or a theme for a shelf to display very relaxing.

I also at the same time have found time to get married, have children and travel to every continent on earth shy of Antarctica.

So is it bad to start collecting 1/6 figures and then quit after a few years?
    Well I find that most of those people got into the hobby with the idea that they would buy a figure and then make allot of money on it a short time later because they thought that it would apricitate in value. Me? I like plastic little men with guns.

Well said pal...reali give quite an insight into it....for me,i have been in this hobby for around 4 years....and i know i m gonna stay in this hobby for another long time...simply why m i so sure?...well,first and foremost,i like toys!!! and it also helps i m into star wars also, so for me there is actually a toggle between star wars and 1/6 th at times and a combination of both if u consider all those nice figures from star wars that is brought to us by medicom....i too have friends who give up and i do understand why,i myself have fallen into this temptation sometimes too....many a times,we may felt either boxed figures are not coming out fast enough or that it became too stale and when we try kitbashing, money spent on the parts are actually alot more than buying a boxed figures or that ideas also run and all those spec ops unit are so camera shy that its hard to get a real good reference off the net...when this happens,i will shift my focus to my other love which is star wars before coming back into 1/6th and i will fall in love all over again.....this is how i keep the passion going....

Kenny,

It's obvious that you've spent a lot of time thinkng about this. For my part, I think I'm trapped between Stage 2 and 3.

I decided to "specialize" in an effort to produce something different and an effective way to save money too, The scarcity of modern British Kit however has presented challenges of their own

As far as factors are concerned, I think we all want to have recognition and approval from our peers. I find that while I'm happy to bash, pose and display my figures at home, I feel more "engaged" when I post them up on the OSW.

The personas and backstories I create for my figures come alive on the OSW. For me, this little corner of the world is our portal, our doorway into another world where we can be whatever we want. Soldier, sailor, spy.

The OSW for me, is London, Paris, Rome, Madrid, New York, Calgary, Singapore, Chicago, Los Angeles, and everywhere in between.

Without you guys, without the OSW, what fun would the hobby be?
    Maintiens le Droits

I agree with you 1B4 that without OSW this hobby would definately not hold my interest or be as interesting.

xavier, I applaud you on your perseverence and commitment to this hobby. I have nver given any thought to undertaking a hobby to make money from it, for me that would fall in the work category. I too enjoy the bashing for what it is and displaying them for my personal satisfaction. The value for me is my enjoyment of the hobby and this forum.
    "Other people's illusion of safety does not supersede my human rights." -Gabe Suarez

Cool analysis, but they don't necessarily apply to everyone in the hobby, IMO.

I guess it comes down to what is the definition of the hobby? Are we talking kitbashing or collecting?

For instance, I'm more of a collector/displayer than a kitbasher. I'm also not at all interested in military figures but rather the ancilary market of movie/superhero figures. I've been collecting for around seven years and far from my interest wanning it's booming ... because this is the glory period for my particular interest, what with SST, HT, Medicom, etc. recent explosion of movie figures. I figure my interest in the hobby will die when they stop putting out the figures I want. Until then, I'm like a pig in shite with this hobby!

I think you've successfully dentified the "life cycle" of one aspect of the hobby. As Oaktown said, there are multiple aspects of the hobby, but I think with a few substitutions you could apply it to a great number of us.

And, a little introspection never hurt anyone. Thanks for sharing.

Good observations! There are also quite a few of us in the hobby that started at

Stage 0 - Played with G.I. Joe and other 1/6 Action Figures in the 60s and 70s.

For us there is a big nostalgia factor involved in this hobby. Being able to collect figures or sets that were lost from childhood or never had the chance to own is a big kick. There have been quite a number of repro Joe, Capt Action, and Marx stuff.

Also, the satisfaction of being able to add a dimension of realism that wasn't possible or available in those days with today's products is a factor that keeps us in the hobby. The amount of detail and accuracy is mind-blowing when you compare it to even the best Hasbro had to offer in the 60s military Joe line. We could only dream of having that level of realism when we were kids.
    Last edited by ALX2000; 05-18-2006 at 13:18.

Quote Originally Posted by ALX2000
    Good observations! There are also quite a few of us in the hobby that started at

Stage 0 - Played with G.I. Joe and other 1/6 Action Figures in the 70s and 80s.

For us there is a big nostalgia factor involved in this hobby. Being able to collect figures or sets that were lost from childhood or never had the chance to own is a big kick. There have been quite a number of repro Joe, Capt Action, and Marx stuff.

Also, the satisfaction of being able to add a dimension of realism that wasn't possible or available in those days with today's products is a factor that keeps us in the hobby. The amount of detail and accuracy is mind-blowing when you compare it to even the best Hasbro had to offer in the 60s military Joe line. We could only dream of having that level of realism when we were kids.
    Well then for us old guys....
    STAGE -1- Collected and played with GI Joes since their introduction in 1964. At that time the level of realism, accessories and vehicles was amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by grizzerr
    Well then for us old guys....
    STAGE -1- Collected and played with GI Joes since their introduction in 1964. At that time the level of realism, accessories and vehicles was amazing!
    Oops! I meant to type 60s and 70s (edited above). I agree G.I Joe military stuff was great, but you really can't compare a vintage 5-star jeep to a recent Hasbro Willys or 21st WWII jeep, or even a SotW for that matter. Nor is a vintage Hasbro M1 Garand as detailed as a DiD nor DML Garand. Those were toys we played with back then, today we work with scale models.

basx is offline prolific kitbasher, OSW Librarian
    Porkins:
    Rings true I'm between stage 2-4. I've moulded some magazine. I'm about to improve a power team M4 for fun I've made several uniforms and load carrying vests and I luvvvvv to print out the camo and then make my own clothes.

xavier

I've been through ALX2000's stage 0 too.
    Sure the level of accuracy was well below what is offered now, but at that time, it was my parents who financed the hobby, and there was no wife asking about that US$ 200+ Paypal payment ! (Dearest, I love you so much).

Oops! I meant to type 60s and 70s (edited above). I agree G.I Joe military stuff was great, but you really can't compare a vintage 5-star jeep to a recent Hasbro Willys or 21st WWII jeep, or even a SotW for that matter. Nor is a vintage Hasbro M1 Garand as detailed as a DiD nor DML Garand. Those were toys we played with back then, today we work with scale models.
    Glad you clarified that...making me feel even older...LOL. you're right what is available today is far better and more detailed than back in the day. Of course if it hadn't evolved we probbly wouldn't even be in this hobby.

Nice thoughts there, many of which are echoed throughout all of us. I think I'm Stage 3 and am going through that period when you've finished your latest bash and there's nothing out there to move on to.

You know how it is, several companies have upcoming stuff that you're keen on, but they're all crap at keeping to release schedules. Mind you, I have found something slightly less 1/6th to keep me going in the meantime.....a Robosapien!!

I got him yesterday and he so rocks! Guaranteed to keep anyone amused when they're going through a post bash lull. You should try it, and if you've got money to burn, go for the V2!

CHEERS!

Great Post! I feel that I'm a Stage 3ish, but I can't find a good Factor representation. I feel that at my age (I'm 33 now and have been collecting for 7 years) that in my childhood (late 70's-present) I felt a bit of size envy when it came to my action figures. Hasbro got out of the 1/6 game and settled for the 31/4 stuff (which I loved) from them in the GI Joe and Kenner's Star Wars line. They looked silly standing there though, being towered over by my older sister's Barbies! But I can remember looking at those mail-ins for the 12" SW figs which were unattainable for me in a time of mail-order catalogs. I couldn't find 1/6 stuff anywhere as a kid in the local Kmart. I think that I've been recently been trying to make up for my toy inadequacies and enjoy the bigger badder figs that were all but a dream back in the day. Call it nostalgia, call it unbridled vengeance, call it a mental disorder, but don't ever CALL THEM DOLLS!!!!
    "We're all very different people. We're not Watusi, we're not Spartans, we're Americans. With a capital "A", huh? And you know what that means? Do you? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog." John Winger

Stage 0 - Played with G.I. Joe and other 1/6 Action Figures in the 60s and 70s.

This is a great point. It was actually Famous Covers and the Captain Action repros that led me to 1/6th collecting. I remember seeing those toys at a KB vividly and thinking "They're finally making toys like they did when i was a kid!" After years of seeing what the Star Wars toys had wrought (hard plastic, small, almost no articluation, etc. it was an awesome development.