Changing russain blue camo to green with an airbrush WIP

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: Changing russain blue camo to green with an airbrush WIP

Changing russain blue camo to green with an airbrush WIP

Sometimes, just sometimes, an idea hatched at 2am and implemented at 3am without too much thinking about it actually works. I had purchased a couple of those BBI Russian addon sets and wanted to try and change the jackets colour to green. Dyeing seemed to be the best way forwards but how to keep the 'fur' color blue?

At 2am this morning I said, "#@&k it, what have I got to lose?" and grabbed the air brush. I mixed a THIN light yellow green colour from Tamiya yellow green xf4 and flat green xf5 with lots of thinners. I slowly built the colour up untill I got a result that I liked. One thng to watch out for is that the BBI camo colours react with the Tamiya thinners if you really soak the uniform. They wont run but will come off on your fingers if you get it too wet. So slowly, slowly, catchy monkey. Here's a closer look.

This will all be old news to some but I thought that it came out okay and gives me another camo to play with.

And that's gotta be good, no?

Thanks for taking a look.

Dan

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

They colour come out wonderfully Dan! Great looking uniform, sometimes it does pay off to take that risk!

Great idea!
    Rule #1: There are no rules!
    Rule #2: No outside foods.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wonderful idea and great results! Wish I could do something like that!

That's a great technique, Dan! I've been set on dying some as well, with the plentiful supply available at the moment. This looks like a great alternate, and now I'm curious about overspraying the whole pattern. The Russians have a brown version like this, the color of the 21C Spetznaz soldier's uniform. Then there's the possibilities of painting on whole new patterns, the ones nobody makes.....dammit man, see what you've done !!!
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

basx is offline prolific kitbasher, OSW Librarian
    Scanman:
    Utterly brilliant idea. Tamiya huh? I've always had a preferefence for Model master both enamel and acrylic. I wonder if the waterbased Acryls would work?

xavier

Glad you guys liked it.

PD -- You're an evil, evil man.... Brown you say, emmmmm. Is it tan or more khaki? Is the collar still that funky blue grey colour? Man, the Russians have more camos than the bloody germans.

basx -- The Tamiya paint I used was the acrylic waterbased kind. The wife can't stand the stink of oil based paints. Bondo and resin fumes?, they're okay, but no turps based spraying in the house....

Maybe I should save the cash for an airbrush spray booth.

Dan

Dan,

That worked great. I always wondered if an airbrush would work for changing a uniforms color. Thats just cool.
    "Fear no man and always do right"

Dan:
    Thanks. Ya know you can make your own booth. The only caveat is that you MUST properly insulate the wires and fans to prevent an explosion. Fine scale modeler magazine had some plans a long time ago. If you're a subscriber you can search and see if the article has been scanned.

As for the colour, kaki in European languages refers to a dusty colour that in English is equivalent to kaki drab. Hope that helps. Do you have Dennis Desmond,s book on Soviet/Russian camo uniform? It,s a great resources . I do hope that he comes out with a sequel. I'm not a fan of the new Flora but it's be great to see the evolution ofthe Russian and Commonwealth of independent states camo uniforms.

xavier

Here's a couple of examples, done by Ron Volstad -

VDV trooper w/ Dragunov

Motor Rifle troops

* from Osprey's Russia's War in Afghanistan and the Dragon 1:35 kit - SOVIET MOTOR RIFLE TROOPS
    You are
    What you do

NOW THAT is Cool!!
    "Ya know what I think? Doesn't really matter what I think. Once that first bullet goes past your head, politics and all that ...., just goes right out the window."- Hoot, BHD

Basx -- I thought about making my own booth but bad experiences with wiring, and the fact the Oz runs on 220 volts(ouch!!!) and the fact that I'm craptastic at woodworking mean I've been advised by the Minister of Health (ie. Da Boss) not to attempt such missions in the future .

PD -- You legend!!! Is there any subject you don't have references at hand for? I'm going to have to do one of those guys to go with the 21st century spetznaz I'm working on. I would love to know why 21C is no longer about as I just got the spetznaz uniform set and I love it. Okay the molded gear sucks but there is plently of bones to hang flesh on. Plus the hat is soooo cool . PD any intel on the weapon the middle smoking guy is carrying in your second illistration? The one with what looks like a box mag and a bipod.
    Thanks a zillion.

Dan

Dan:
    Understood
    The second drawings are from Dragon's 1/35 scale motorized infantry set. I kept mine for the artwork as well as for fture refernce. The back of the box has the Model master colours (the enamals as the acrylic hadn't yet been developed)
    The first is from either Osprey's Russia's war in Afganistan
    I do wish that Osprey would update the other titles call them inside Russia's army as wel as elite forces

xavier

NICE!!
    Great work on the re-color!
    I too have done a going-green re-color on the Armoury Para uniform. But I do not have an airbrush, therefore I just diluted Tamiya Olive Green with water and go over the uniform with brush strokes.

I'm just not too happy with that tight fitting pants.... damn Armoury.
    Go 1 down to advance 2 up
    Red6

Awsome dye work! I once tryed to dye some 6c BDU's OD Green, but didn't bleach it first and didn't let it sit very long in the dye. The result was a very interesting pattern of cammo. Your work their just reminded me of that.

Side note, what is up with the blue stripped shirts?
    Formerly known as Plasoccri

Trade list: https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/foru...ad.php?t=63110

very nice
    helpful for future ruskie bashes

Great job.......looks like it was dyed.
    "Other people's illusion of safety does not supersede my human rights." -Gabe Suarez

Nice one Dan! So you decided not to dye it after all eh?
    It came out very nice! The colour scheme also looked like the one that you will get if you use the DYLON Olive Green one, but yours is of a lighter shade. I had to layer it on the weathering to get that shade!
    Great work man!
    History repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as farce. - Karl Marx

Well done!
    Your technique seems to work great.
    I will try this, too.
    Thanks for sharing your work and tell us how to do.

Greetings from Berlin ...

Nice job! Did someone say Afghan era? Here is one I did a few weeks ago that is still a work in progress(not trying to hijack a thread but thought since we're on the subject...). I am trying to duplicate that Volstad figure that is second from the right with the big scope mounted on the AK.

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Dan your sick!

Wow Dan, I am speechless!
    [email protected]
    US Marines, when it absolutely, positively needs to be destroyed overnight.

if you didn't say it was home made, i'd have bet my life it was bought

smashing job

Dan you suck!! That is one sweet work.

Nice works everyone!

Dan, that's a PK machinegun (7.62mm) -

plasoccri, the blue and white striped pullover shirt is a traditional naval item, the telnyashka . It became a symbol of elite troops, and was worn under combat uniforms by naval infantry in WW2, and adopted by Russian airborne forces. It has two versions, a long-sleeved and a sleeveless. One source says the long-sleeved version is called a maika. Various versions have been done by 21C, Armoury, and DML. I believe the lighter blue is the more commonly worn modern VDV (Airborne) version.

10th Mtn, that's exactly what I'm talking about. The scope on the pictured AK-74 is a 1PM-58, a image-intensification passive night scope, used in Afghanistan. It's along the lines of the US "Starlight" scope. The carded 21C "Modern Russian Paratrooper" set had one, along with a dark green pattern camo uniform, and body armor. It unfortunately did not include the KMLK camo coverall the boxed figure was to have.

Kenny, that turned out well, indeed. LOL, their unis are cut close.
    You are
    What you do

You nailed it Dan! There's some other nice looking stuff in this thread too.

I picked up one of those sets myself on your tip Dan and am wondering what to do with it as Russian uniform stuff is hard to come buy.

Wow, what a response. Nice to see how many folks are interested in Russian subjects. Now if we can only scare up enough interest to get us some decent gear.... Thanks to all for your comments.

Porkins73 - Nice Para, I've got one of those in my sights(Thanks John) and was thinking of adding a bit of green to him. Yours came out great!

Yujin - Yep I'm a big chicken. I'm still not 100 percent on this dyeing gig.

count-orlok - You see it's all your fault... You inspire Yujin who inspires me. Thanks!

10th Mtn - That figure

ROCKS!

Man don't hold out on us we need details, details I say!

Pleeeeeeeese

PD - Thanks for the intel on the PK machinegun. I'm tipping that no one makes one, sigh.... Well that could be another project

David - Sounds as if you have something simmering on the backburner.

Again, thanks to all who dropped by.

Dan

PD, the lighter blue telnyashka is actually a summer version.. The darker blue more sweater like for winter... atleast thats how i have seen them being sold on various ocasions...
    "I gotta jar of diiiirt, I gotta jar of diiirt, and guess whats inside it!" - Jack Sparrow
    I brought payment. *BANG!* Look, an undead monkey! - Jack Sparrow

Dan,
    All I did was buy a little jar of Poly Scale Soviet Khaki paint and brushed it on the jacket and a pair of TUS Spetznez trousers so they'd match in color. I added a pair of Newline German officer jackboots since, well, Newline is the shizzle. As I said it is no where near completed but seeing how PD was kind enough to post that first Volstad drawing, I think that is the route I am taking with this one as I have one of the flak vests from the TUS para set that I have been wanting to use for a while now.
    Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.

Excellent ideas both of you!