1st try at sculpting a head *winces* - Nathan Fillion - Page 3

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: 1st try at sculpting a head *winces* - Nathan Fillion

Houston Again! Please let me escape soon @[email protected]
    Flipping great work Doc T. The likeness is so wonderfully done, I'm sure Fillion would be flattered to have someone put so much work into his mini mug as you have
    Always do your best in everything you do, and live on, happy. - Aya

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

A clandestine operational base well-hidden in a Michigan rural area.
    Alrighty then...let's harden it up, paint it and see whucha got there, Doc. POroof's in the completed h/s and what it looks like when it's ready for mounting.
    "I live in my own little world. But it's OK. They know me here."

"No healthy person willingly heaps abuse upon another struggling soul."

This has been a real experience watching the metamorphosis. You've got him pegged, Rob. Amazing only starts to describe this, and a first go at that.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yes, awesome!

Wow, the resemblance really is there. I'm very impressive, especially since this is your first h/s sculpt.

Drop me a PM if you sell casts when you've finished. (Would he be a great h/s to have on a Canadian soldier fig? Good Edmonton boy and all...)
    "I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir." Private Dexter Grif, Red Army, Red vs. Blue
    Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat

OK. Any update on Mal's head?
    "I have come here to kick a-s-s and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum"

as always, your doin a great job doc

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor T

Well two reasons I don't. One, I'm actually quicker now doing tests with clay on a test model, than with photoshop. Two, PS is still only 2D - what I'm looking for now is how the light reacts to the surface of my sculpt and where the shadows lie. A better software choice would be a 3D program like 3D Studio MAX... hmm... I should look into that...

cheers,
    Rob

Or maybe Maya or Blender , or in case you have never worked with a 3d Program Milkshape 3d might be a good choice (thats what i used for Rifle Models, not good for high poly stuff like faces, everythink above 3-4k polys)
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel." -

Quote Originally Posted by ironman1188
    OK. Any update on Mal's head?
    Sorry ironman (and anyone else interested), not yet - been a bit tied up w/ 1:1 stuff and I've got a couple of 1/6 trades I need to wrap up. Hopefully soon! The side project I alluded to earlier was wolverine btw. The break from Mal has given me time to really objectively assess how far I've gotten with the sculpt so far and I know I can make it better. As well, I had some time to do more research on sculpting technique and facial anatomy. Now hopefully I can apply that knowledge...

Quote Originally Posted by Brigadier Graemon
    Alrighty then...let's harden it up, paint it and see whucha got there, Doc. POroof's in the completed h/s and what it looks like when it's ready for mounting.
    Definitely BG - but I can tell it's still not ready for painting yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Palaboon
    Or maybe Maya or Blender , or in case you have never worked with a 3d Program Milkshape 3d might be a good choice (thats what i used for Rifle Models, not good for high poly stuff like faces, everythink above 3-4k polys)
    I've heard of those programs but I actually just got a program called Poser that I'm pretty excited to try. It focuses on human anatomy. Seeing the human head in simplified 3D planes really helped me as well. I was talking to a friend of mine who is actually an art teacher about 3DS Max for this purpose, and then he suggested that I actually should try (*gasp*) going to some art lessons. He had some good arguments for it, but he had me at the part about drawing live nekkid women - LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmiroquai
    That looks great Doc T! I can't do likenesses for the life of me.
    You kidding? Your Domino was great and your V for Vendetta was perfect Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Pivot
    Wow, the resemblance really is there. I'm very impressive, especially since this is your first h/s sculpt.

Drop me a PM if you sell casts when you've finished. (Would he be a great h/s to have on a Canadian soldier fig? Good Edmonton boy and all...)
    Thanks Pivot - if you notice I try to do Canadian figs when I can... (Kiefer, Logan, Nathan...)

Crap, dude! You're improving him so much with every update, I'm anticipating a couple of updates from now you'll say you taught it how to speak lines from the show. Outstanding.
    Staggerly, Yujin, saiko, Darth Ayr, pukingdog, Redmond:
    Thanks guys much appreciated - especially knowing that in the updates I've been moving forward in getting the likeness and not backwards. I have to admit that I didn't realize that sculpting a likeness would be this hard (I'm kinda naive that way - LOL), but I'm learning a lot and having fun. And again, I'll get back at it and will hopefully have more updates soon.

cheers,
    Rob

Thanks for the update!

Look forward to seeing more when you get round to him.

CHEERS!

Wow. Absolutely amazing. Put me down for one if you decide to make copies!

Not sure if anyone's pointed this out to you either - may come in handy if you don't feel like making it yourself:

Mal's Rig

LordAzrael:
    Thanks for the link! Wow, never would've thought I could buy Mal's rig in 1/6. That's some nice stuff too. I probably will make my own rig though.

Thanks for the update!
    Thanks Rog, but really wasn't much of one - so well, here's one - albeit probably not one people might hope for...

Reading the recent responses, inspired me to get off my butt and get back to it - so what did I do? I started over Why? A several reasons - I wasn't happy with the first one...wanted to see if I could repeat what I did, theoretically it'd be better the next time around, I was bored? Heh, I all of the above i guess... Anyway after a few hours this is what I got. This time I went by my memory - not really looking at ref pics too much, the ref pic here was not what I was basing the sculpt on, but the angle is similar even if the expression is different. Still definitely a rough WIP... just trying to get the overall shape, not concentrate on details, like the nose, etc...

What did I learn this time? Heh, that it wasn't easy repeating what I did before My knowledge of facial anatomy is a bit better and I added some musculature under the lower lip which I had missed before. Otherwise, same game - experiment and hopefully learn something...

Still ongoing, but as always, comments and criticisms welcome.

Thanks for looking.

cheers,
    Rob

The face looks good but I think the hair on the previous one was better. It's very difficult to do gelled or waxed hair, unless of course you go the furry route like you did with Jack Bauer. For a hairstyle like the one he has in the photo that could be the way to go.

I'm probably glad the head I did was Deckard as he didn't have much hair!

CHEERS!

Did you save a cast of each version to date?
    "I have come here to kick a-s-s and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum"

The face looks good but I think the hair on the previous one was better.
    Thanks Rog - yeah, the hair is far from finished in this version - just a 'roughing out' to get the general shape and help me picture Mal better in the sculpt while I was working on the face. Just like there's no anatomy on the neck either. What I was doing here was taking a different approach and doing a study of the planes of the face, etc... and this is a very early WIP.

Did you save a cast of each version to date?
    Heh, yeah - no worries, I've got 2: one of the first version and the one just before this one. I can always go back. Being a computer guy - I always make sure to have backups...

Didn't mean to scare people off with this version - LOL, just additional practice for myself. "Experimentation"... yeah... that's the ticket!

Cool,

Keep going, this thread is very interesting. I wonder if the special effects guys have any scans of him? I'm sure they'd have to use a digital double at some point. Are there any 'making ofs' on the DVD extras?

Also, ERA Sculptures does a 7" version of him (See pic.), they often use large scale sculpts and sometimes scans of the actors as masters. I wonder if they'd let you see them?

Any research is good research in this case.

CHEERS!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st try at sculpting a head *winces* - Nathan Fillion-serenity-mal-jpg  

Are you kiddin'? First try? You're light years ahead of anything I've ever sculpted.
    "It's better to be hated for who you are, than loved for who you're not." -Van Zant.

Any updates on this ?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by LordAzrael
    Any updates on this ?

Cheers!
    Sorry for the lack of updates lately. Being summertime, I've been caught up in golf season - LOL. My Mal project is still in the works. I'm waiting on a few things still (there's my excuse ) The head still needs some tweaking, nothing worth posting yet. Hopefully I will have an update soon and get back in the swing (not golf) of things.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee
    Cool,

Keep going, this thread is very interesting. I wonder if the special effects guys have any scans of him? I'm sure they'd have to use a digital double at some point. Are there any 'making ofs' on the DVD extras?

Also, ERA Sculptures does a 7" version of him (See pic.), they often use large scale sculpts and sometimes scans of the actors as masters. I wonder if they'd let you see them?

Any research is good research in this case.

CHEERS!
    hey rogerbee, sorry - somehow I missed this comment a while back. The dvd does have quite a few extras, including a pretty funny outtakes reel. I didn't see anything about using digital doubles for the actors though - mainly green screen work. I have seen the 7" version and it's not bad, looking at it I picked up on a few things on the costume. Otherwise, I found it hard to transfer what I could see from the small headsculpt into 1/6. I think some features were exaggerated slightly because of the smaller scale. Still, knowing what features to exaggerate helps somewhat. I think I got enough reference from the movie and Firefly tv series, so really it's my limited ability that's the bottleneck. Thanks again for your input.

broadsword 6: thanks - you're too kind!

cheers,
    Rob

No problem Doc!

Look forward to seeing more of Nate real soon. He has a movie out at the moment, but I can't think what the hell it's called. Have you looked him up on IMDB? Sometimes, photos from premieres and other movies can give you a different look at a familiar face.

Keep it up

CHEERS!

Yeah, he's in the horror flick 'Slither' (not sure if it's still out) and the upcoming White Noise 2 (my wife showed me in a Canadian celeb gossip magazine - more reference material there - LOL) IMDB definitely helped as well as Google image search. You're right, seeing different pictures sometimes points out things I didn't see before. Well hopefully I'll get this done before 'Serenity 2' comes out...

Great work. I am an FNG here and this is one of my first posts. I think you have done an amazing job. I echo what everyone else has said, great first attempt. I would also like to get a copy or two if you every decide to make them.

*THWACK* er...."Bump"

I drop Doctor T an email, but I thought I'd bump the thread to the top anyway.

Sculpt looks AMAZING!

Doc T, I just started looking into sculpting with sculpey, and I found a great book on Amazon called "Creating life-like figures in polymer clay" by Katherine Dewey. I highly recommend it for great sculpting ideas and techniques, especially for life-like hair. The tutorials are all in 1/6 so it's a great book to keep on hand. Keep up the great work!

Hey Rob what ever happened with this HS? I'd like one if you ever get around to casting it.

Paul

A clandestine operational base well-hidden in a Michigan rural area.
    Yeah, Doc, how 'bout an up-date on this work of art? We got needs you have to feed!

Browncoats will come to your house and start a ruckus otherwise!
    "I live in my own little world. But it's OK. They know me here."

"No healthy person willingly heaps abuse upon another struggling soul."

Hey thanks guys, and sorry for the lack of updates.

I had a little blurb in my black widow post and I'll summarize here. It's been really stupid busy for me lately, and I've been scrambling to get ready for Louie's ACFS show in September. So my plan is to resume work on the Mal headsculpt right after the show. Since I last touched this sculpt, I've done other sculpting, including J. Alba and a quick one I just finished for Jess' Sci-Fi contest which I can't reveal, but hopefully you'll see soon. I feel I'm a better sculptor now than when I was working on Mal, and I look forward to revisiting him in September.

On a related note, here's some captain tightpants clothes that Karla (aka Brennil) made for me:

Aren't they lovely?

Again, thanks for your support.

cheers,
    Rob

Holy crap Doc. All we get are excuses. Just tell us the truth. He is finished and you are entering him in the sci-fi contest. And will win with by a landslide. Then we will get the big reveal. LOL. I kid, I'm a kidder.

Obviously this sculpt has many people interested. It is over a year old and running into 3 pages. No pressure Doc.
    I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride. Wanted, Dead or Alive.

Ha ha, I wish I did finish him for the contest! Hope you guys dig my entry though, it's not my usual "babe-in-a-tight-outfit-with-a-gratuitous-butt-shot".

At least you've done something and have stuck with it.

I said I was going to part-sculpt my own Daniel Craig head, it was totally dire and I'm waiting for either Longbow's or Tinister's Mk2 head that he has in the works. I also have a Napoleon Solo that I could finish but I'm loath to give him my Wasabi Hubert suit.

This will take as long as it takes and judging by your previous stuff, you'll ensure that it's the best.

Carry on, we can wait

CHEERS!