1st try at sculpting a head *winces* - Nathan Fillion - Page 2

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st try at sculpting a head *winces* - Nathan Fillion

That is good for any sculpt especially a first. Nice work Doc.
    We Do Bad Things To Bad People.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hey Doc, that looks pretty damn good to me. Pls paint it up so we can see better.

Wow! Thanks for the feedback folks!

HardHardhitter:
    Yep, the hair looks like ass. My hair technique is pretty crappy, and I'll be redoing the hair. Ironically, I thought that was gonna be the easy part. Lesson learned.

ironman:
    Still not sure about recasts, but I will let you know if I do.

lg2: LOL -thanks, and I'm jealous of your scratching skills.

razor. 12inchesOfFun: definitely give sculpting a try if you're thinking about it. Heck, if I can do it - anybody can.

reggie: guys like you sculpt were the ones who inspired - thanks very much!

writinman: hah ha, yeah bro - my spare 1/6 time has really diminished.

auret:
    I'm glad you like him as I know you're a big Firefly/Serenity fan. It was guys like you who made me want to check out the flick - and I'm glad it did - I'm a wannabe browncoat now!

grizzer:
    nope, not pulling your leg - first time.

diesaturn:
    LOL, well hopefully I'll get better and not worse!

artyandy: you're so right about the mirror. I started using only after I baked the head, and it was like "GAH!" and I had a lot of carving to do with my dremel tool to fix the symmetry problems. Next time, the mirror will be used from the start.

Munky: Jayne is on my list... maybe I'll do statue in Jaynestown, with a song chip built in

HP, Cougar: thanks for the honestly, I know some angles are off, hopefully I'll iron them out.

PD: Mike, I enlarged the adam's apple - good call thanks. I'm still not sure what base figure to mount him on so I'll adjust the neck length then.

dudeman: aww, there goes my secret bash - the wrong Private Ryan. Good memory.

Caz. oh, I thought he was just some obscure Canadian actor... whoopsie.

mgbb: ok, I'll do a painted version in a little while.

dave70b, staggerly, yujin, Tiger, pscmatt, xenoviper, Sixth Scale, chippy, leclair, real action man, sir eaton flipflop, fab5freddy, tiger usmc: thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I've been wanting to sculpt heads for a while now, it's nice to know I can share my first attemts here.

A little update. I recasted my original head in resin, then modified it so I wouldn't lose the original. The darker areas are the clay adjustments.

forehead: I pushed out the brow slightly, mainly because I hated the light catching edge I had on it which made his eyebrow look questioning under certain light conditions - he's supposed to kinda scowling.

chin: I pushed it out a lot more after taking a hard look at his chin in more profile pics and squared it slightly.

I rounded and softened his cheekbones as I felt they were too hard and square. I bulked up his adam's apple as per Mikes good suggestion (need to refine it still)

cheers,
    Rob
    Last edited by Doctor T; 02-25-2006 at 16:09.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I wish i was that good on my first try, i cant sculpt for crap... I have never tried a head, but i know i would fail.... i just know it....
    "I gotta jar of diiiirt, I gotta jar of diiirt, and guess whats inside it!" - Jack Sparrow
    I brought payment. *BANG!* Look, an undead monkey! - Jack Sparrow

Maybe its the shading, but I kinda like the first version better.
    "I have come here to kick a-s-s and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum"

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt. Ryan HOH
    I wish i was that good on my first try, i cant sculpt for crap... I have never tried a head, but i know i would fail.... i just know it....
    You don't know that until you try. Hey, that's what I thought at first. If I can give one piece of advice, it would be don't give up when you have a basic head and it looks like a mutant or monster or something (I was very close at giving up at that point). Keep trying and you'll get there - that's the beauty of clay - you can keep changing it.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman1188
    Maybe its the shading, but I kinda like the first version better.
    Yikes! Well, good thing I made a mold first.

I think it is the lighting though (hopefully). The resin is also lighter and harder to see the detail. I think when it's painted too, it'll look different as well.

Either way, I anxiously await you to decide that you will sell copies and have started to put Mal's body together.
    "I have come here to kick a-s-s and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum"

Holy heck!!!! It is coming along very well. The new chin and cheeks look much better. Keep it coming, we all look forward to the finished product.
    I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride. Wanted, Dead or Alive.

WOW!!!

You are a very tallented fellow. Don't underestimate just how much craftsmanship you've shown here. The fact that you've done so very well on a first effort, the subsequent mods make it look even better, is a testement to your creative ability. Man, I wish I could sculpt but I don't have the right stuff. You most certainly have that 'right stuff'. I'm really looking forward to more sculpting from you. Thanks for sharing.

Dan

Caz. is offline Hi! Wait - who said that?
    3rd floor, 4th padded cell on the right. Take the main elevator.
    It's really coming along! The profile is almost bang-on. The chin is great!

Thanks guys, glad to see I wasn't going off track with the new changes.

Quote Originally Posted by ScanmanDan
    WOW!!!

You are a very tallented fellow. Don't underestimate just how much craftsmanship you've shown here. The fact that you've done so very well on a first effort, the subsequent mods make it look even better, is a testement to your creative ability. Man, I wish I could sculpt but I don't have the right stuff. You most certainly have that 'right stuff'. I'm really looking forward to more sculpting from you. Thanks for sharing.

Dan
    thanks Dan, but I think you do have the right stuff. Heck, you do almost everything else . I honestly think if you can do 1/6 belt loops (and btw, I tried and failed miserably) - you can sculpt. I'm finding that sculpting is kinda like painting, but in 3D (which of course is the tricky part). Otherwise, in some ways it's more forgiveable than paint imho. Anyway, I'm still learning and figuring out stuff as I go along...

Another update: I noticed that the jawline was too low and at the wrong angle, so I pulled out my dremel tool and carved it out, then smoothed over with sculpey.

I also refined the nostrils slightly, and put a little more bulk in the jaw/cheek muscle. Just looking at the recent changes, it almost looks like a different sculpt to me.

--Rob

He is looking great! A superb sculpt considering he's your first. Did you sculpt him bald first?

I remember doing a head for a Bladerunner kit I was customising. I used the face off the Screamin/Kaiyodo Han Solo and scratch built the rest in milliput. It was a tough job, I mean, there aren't any photos of Harrison Ford bald. I did him bald first so I could get the hairstyle to look right on his head. The ears were hardest, getting them the right shape and so they stuck out from his head at the right angle. The hair did look pretty rough before it was painted but the finished head looked great.

I only wish I had photos but I loaned the figure to my retailer for display and then he went broke, did a moonlight flit and took my entire collection with him!

You know, if it wasn't for you, Chung and Tad keeping me going at MWD, I'd consider moving to this site lock stock and barrel.

Can't wait to see the finished figure.

CHEERS!

Hi rogerbee! Good to see you here on OSW! This place rocks with lots of cool and talented people.

Yes, I did sculpt him bald first, then added the hair later, mainly to make sure I had my head proportions right. In fact, I just carved out his hair, balded him again and redoing the hair right now. Some people even do a scull and skeleton before adding the skin and muscle

I'm sorry about your Han Solo and your entire collection - man, that really sucks. I would've like to have seen what you did with Han. He's a tough guy to capture I think - I sure had a hard time with my Solo figure. I think I have that same kit btw. The blaster looks good but wasn't a match for my Bespin Han.

I know MWD can be circus, but I still consider it home. I learned a lot of stuff there starting out, and I get to see work from people I admire and got me into this hobby like Louie aka Customdawg, Tad as you mention, Brennil, An42, phantom11, auret, pluteus, neoaction, and many more... And of course the place wouldn't be the same without DFC! I always believe it's good to diversify - keeps the hobby fresh.

cheers,
    Rob

Yeah right...don't be too humble, you know it's pretty awesome....Good job bro.

docT, that is very very impressive for your first sculpt! i like seeing the progression as you continue to refine the sculpt. thanks for posting, and keep us updated.
    eeeeeeeee.

Thanks guys. Glad you don't mind my progress pics - I'm learning so much as I'm going along here and I thought I might as well take pics to record it.

I was really unhappy with my first attempt at hair - I have to admit, I thought the hair would be the easy and kind of left it as an afterthought. The textures were uneven and it ended up looking like a gloppy mess of indecision. Dan Perez told me don't be afraid to demolish parts and start all over again, you'll be amazed at how subsequent attempts keep getting better and better. So I took out my trusty dremel, took a deep breath - then shaved it all off (making sure to evacuate all that resin dust, as the thought of breathing it scares me). Now I'm starting the hair all over again, concentrating more on shape, planning locks of hair, trying to make it more natural looking and closer to the ref pics. My buddy Von Cougar said, just do the 'fur thing' again - and man I was tempted. But that seems like the easy way out now and I want to learn to sculpt, and that includes the hair. So here's the beginning of the 2nd attempt on the hair, not finished, still roughing out the shape and locks and I'm continuing to refine it...

-- rob
    Last edited by Doctor T; 02-27-2006 at 00:23.

Hella better work than the Diamond Select Toys! First try? Hey, my 1000 try wouldn't look that good...

Thanks for the reply Doc!

I'm really liking it here at OSW, everyone's been so welcoming and helpful. Nathan is coming on a treat and gets better every time you post him. Sometimes though, you can improve and improve a sculpt but the changes you make are ones that only you are ever likely to notice. I remember a friend of mine sculpting Arnie from Total Recall, the first head he did was brilliant, then as he changed it he lost the essence of what he had initially. The finished figure was amazing but I always like his original head better.

I cheated slightly with my Deckard as I already had the face but the rest was tough as the only shots of him I had as that character were tiny. I'd do the same conversion again in a heartbeat if I had the figures.

Below is the sole survivor from my garage kit days, David from The Lost Boys, I think Shawn Nagle sculpted him.

CHEERS!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st try at sculpting a head *winces* - Nathan Fillion-david-0001-jpg   1st try at sculpting a head *winces* - Nathan Fillion-david-0002-jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Crawford
    Hella better work than the Diamond Select Toys! First try? Hey, my 1000 try wouldn't look that good...
    Thanks Michael, kinda cool to be compared to a toy company - lol. I read your review, thanks for that - I found it useful.

rogerbee:
    I know exactly what you mean about losing the "essence". It's so easy to do it, esp. in 1/6 scale I think. I want to make more changes and continue experimenting - but I don't want to lose what I have now. So what I'm doing is taking one on my recasts of the old head, building it up to what I have now, then experiment on that. If the changes look better, then I'll transfer it to my 'master' copy.

Nice work on the Kiefer Lost Boys kit! I remember that classic flick (wow, almost 20 years ago) To me, Kiefer redefined the modern vampire look - what a striking looking character and a great subject.

Not much of an update today. I watched bits of 'Serenity' last night trying to see how the light creates different shadows on Mal's face. Then I took my sculpt and tried create similar light conditions to see I got the same shadows. In some angles I got good matches and in others I didn't so there's still a few I need to work on.

Anyway, just a little more texture and shape on the hair and some experimenting with the adam's apple (as PD mentioned) and relooked at the gullet...

sorry for the crappy lighting...

cheers,
    rob

Of course, if you give him a hair cut on one of your tries, you can cater to the Buffy audience and give them Caleb.

He's coming on a treat. I remember people looking at sculpts and saying that it looked nothing like the person when to me they were spot on. They weren't thinking in 3D. When I first saw SS's Pierce Brosnan I didn't think it looked much like him, then I held it at a certain angle and suddenly I got it.

I remember a friend of mine was doing a character from a Sci/fi show called Red Dwarf and he was fortunate enough to meet the makers of the show and then he got to spend an afternoon with the actor who played the character he was doing. He got to take photos from every conceivable angle. When the sculpt was finished it was amazing.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the better your reference, the better your sculpt is going to be. If I had a PC with a DVD deck I'd get vidcaps of whatever character I was doing. You could study the head frame by frame. Boy that would be a cool tool.

I've just had a thought, you could put photos of your Nathan into Photoshop and experiment with changes by adding or taking bits away from the photo. It could save on clay if you knew exactly which bits you wanted to make.

Food for thought...

CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by ironman1188
    Of course, if you give him a hair cut on one of your tries, you can cater to the Buffy audience and give them Caleb.
    Damn! I know should've made a mold of him bald. Oh well, only a 10 minute job w/ the dremel tool...

Quote Originally Posted by rogerbee
    I remember a friend of mine was doing a character from a Sci/fi show called Red Dwarf and he was fortunate enough to meet the makers of the show and then he got to spend an afternoon with the actor who played the character he was doing. He got to take photos from every conceivable angle. When the sculpt was finished it was amazing.
    Yeah, besides 3D computer scanning, that's the best way to model someone. Nathan lives in Canada, but is in a different province - oh well...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the better your reference, the better your sculpt is going to be. If I had a PC with a DVD deck I'd get vidcaps of whatever character I was doing. You could study the head frame by frame. Boy that would be a cool tool.
    That's exactly what I'm doing now. Still working on the transfering of what's in my head to the clay.

I've just had a thought, you could put photos of your Nathan into Photoshop and experiment with changes by adding or taking bits away from the photo. It could save on clay if you knew exactly which bits you wanted to make.
    Well two reasons I don't. One, I'm actually quicker now doing tests with clay on a test model, than with photoshop. Two, PS is still only 2D - what I'm looking for now is how the light reacts to the surface of my sculpt and where the shadows lie. A better software choice would be a 3D program like 3D Studio MAX... hmm... I should look into that...

Appreciate your comments always rogerbee.

Ok so today, I hacked away more at it. Redid the mouth - I still think it's not fantastic, but better imho:

Last night I was bit frustated, unable to commit to making more bold changes, so tonight, I decided to get more aggressive with my dremel tool and finally lowered those damn cheek bones. As well, I widened his forehead and then added more hair to accomodate - tonight I also wanted to address the 2 angles that I wasn't happy with last night - i.e. the front view and 3/4 right side view (the profile views haven't change much):

Anyway, I do feel a bit better tonight, I think I made more of a step forward today.

thanks for looking.

cheers,
    Rob

Sensational work!!

Thanks Doc!

I had a look at the DVD covers for Serenity and Firefly today and your sculpt is right on the money.

If Nathan is ever at a con near you I'd take your figure along, you never know where it might lead. My friend that did the Red Dwarf figure took a figure of his to Forbidden Planet where the cast and writers were doing a PA and he ended up being invited to a New Years Eve bash by them and that lead to meets with the cast so he could take reference photos for future figures. I was soooo jealous!

Anyway, your Nathan's really coming on and gets better every time.

CHEERS!

Damn Doc, that is soe wicked cool work there. Just a stand out piece of work! Can we get some more progress reports???
    I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride. Wanted, Dead or Alive.

That's WICKED ironic seeing as how I mentioned in Friday Nights chat that someone needs to make a Mal headsculpt...jot me down for one if you're selling em!
    unf!

Thanks again guys. I apologize for the lack of progress reports on Mal lately. Been really busy with 1:1 stuff lately. I also picked up some books on human anatomy and it seemed like the more I read, the more I realized how much I didn't know.

I've also been experimenting with wax lately to try to improve my hair technique. In fact I should be finishing a side project in a day or two which was really just a study in sculpting hair (hint hint). I'll post pics on it soon.

cheers,
    rob

Crap, dude! You're improving him so much with every update, I'm anticipating a couple of updates from now you'll say you taught it how to speak lines from the show. Outstanding.

Doc, it's looking better everytime!
    History repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as farce. - Karl Marx

That looks great Doc T! I can't do likenesses for the life of me.