HUMVEE Hybrid R/C

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: HUMVEE Hybrid R/C

HUMVEE Hybrid R/C

Okay, as promised, as soon as I was able to get an RC Humvee I said I'd run some tests.

I took one that had been beat to death as a demo model (when it ain't your toy, apparently it's "cool" to trash it). It was a dead fish. Turns out the front motor (it's 4 wheel drive) broke (not fried) after repeated full-throttle runs straight into immovable objects. I was actually surprised it lasted as long as it did. Thanks to some ham-fisted John Q Publics, I had a test piece.

Complete removal of original 21st chassis. Trimming down of the battery tray and cutting out some of the Hasbro center resulted in a good fit. Both toys are VERY close in dimension. You can see that by the 21st slantback that screws perfectly onto the Hasbro body. No, nobody copied anyone, these are about the only two holes that match anywhere on either. Very lucky for us.

Still has that Monster Humvee lift-kit look, but I'll try and lower it more later. Right now, this thing zips around my workyard like the dickens. I'm giggling my asss off. With both motors, I always had trouble keeping control. Now, it has plenty of guts with just the one motor and is easily handled by even an incompetent R/Cer like myself.

Enjoy.

In a couple weeks, I'll start customizing the 21st chassis itself. With a bit of cutting and fitting, the stock 21st toy will accomodate figs easily. Stay tuned.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thumbs up Woooooooooooooooow

I want one .....
    Awesome look, please put more pictures... and pictures of the customizing process.
    Really ass kick men !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pics with figures .... hehehehehe
    Please....

Starting Up !!!!

I can't wait to see what you do when you're done with all of this!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Excellent Frankensteining there!

Just don't let those ham-fisted johnny q's get a hold of your finished work.

Jaded is so overrated. Cynicism is so last year. Misery has enough company. Dare to be happy.

Trade Feedback ]

Excellent mod!! Love it!

that thing rocks. Awesome mod!

Caz. is offline Hi! Wait - who said that?
    3rd floor, 4th padded cell on the right. Take the main elevator.
    Bea-u-ti-ful!!!

That's what I'm TALKIN' about!

Nice job and a hell-of-a lot of work I bet. I R/C cars meself, so I knows the amount of effort there. Just great.

Ok, so who's going to be the first to use that slantback as the basis for a kit for the rest of us?

Very cool! Looks like Nylint's 1/6th Jeep rock climber though ha ha

SWEET! Awesome work, LG! You're just one multi-talented mo'fo', ain'tcha?

Be sure to bring that sucker to next month's BBQ!
    Don't miss my new TOY BLOGS!===> http://toy-history.blogspot.com/----and-----http://toynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/

Houston Again! Please let me escape soon @[email protected]
    >:[ We don't see you in chat for weeks and then you leave our jaws dropping like this?! How dare you!--share with us such a cool custom
    Hope the rest of the body work and lowering work out smoothly for you.
    Like CC, I can't wait to see it when you're done with everything

Great ideas, maybe you'll inspire that guy from a while back whose friend bought one of these R/C's only to find out it couldn't accomodate 1/6th figs.

Sweet conversion LG. Best looking electric car ever!

Thanks, gang.

I don't want to take too much credit here. With some cutting and a bit of thinking, the Hasbro chassis is darn near a drop-in body kit. Anybody with a couple hours worth of flight time on a Dremel could knock this out. The two main hurdles are;
    1. cutting up your Hasbro Humvee
    2. getting and cutting/dismantling a 21st R/C Humvee

....At close to 300 USD for some, total(including the harder-to-find-now Hasbro), it may be a factor. Look for deals on the 21stR/Cs at WalMart. The R/C part is actually quite impressive. Well worth the retail of 200USD, but any sale price makes it even more attractive. Keep your eyes peeled if interested, as the woodland version should be hitting soon.

There are some features I'm trying to incorporate from the Hasbro. The engine piece is still located under the hood in my hybrid version. I may actually leave the engine and hood pieces unattached to the main body. I noticed that when accidentally running into things (again, incompetent RC skills for me) those acted as a breakaway feature. Handy in absorbing shock and easily slipped back into place.

Like I said, I also plan on customizing the 21st chassis. It's a one-piece shell. When I first got to check the insides out at WoH I concluded these could be made to carry a full complement of figs. Now, I'm sure of it. I will likely have to build new doors and turret, but it's a small price to pay for a bitchen toy. Hopefully, I can figure out what not to do and give some guidlines for those who want to try this at one point.

I'll be offline for a while starting tomorrow, but will come back and post more on this project afterwards.

Again, thanks for the comments.

Re: HUMVEE Hybrid R/C

Why are the pictures NOT of a humvee but a toy soldier in what looks like airline food? Is it just me that can't see the humvee pics?
    helocrazed
    "These things we do that others may live"

^^ I got that too..

I dont see a humvee

All I see is some ones lunch and a angery little Halo jumper

http://macvsog.yuku.com/directory
    28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds

Houston Again! Please let me escape soon @[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by helocrazed View Post
    Why are the pictures NOT of a humvee but a toy soldier in what looks like airline food? Is it just me that can't see the humvee pics?
    Probably because this thread is a little over 3 years old.

This member also hosted the pictures off of the OSW, so they're subject to whatever shuffling he does.
    A pity, it was still a WIP but it was pretty cool. I don't think he worked on it much afterwards, with other projects coming up, so it may still be a WIP today.

I thought I had the images, otherwise I'd have uploaded them.

I haven't seen him in forever on the board, I don't know if you could pm or e-mail him about it either..
    Always do your best in everything you do, and live on, happy. - Aya

LG2 doesn't consider himself a member of OSW and removed his photo gallery. I don't know how those photos ended up on the thread since his photos and gallery have been removed.

Those pics show that they are from someone's OSW gallery, but the thread has no edit notification. An internet glitch or maybe hacked, but that is not LG's work in those pics.
    "Will shill for free man dollies!"

The original pics were pretty cool, but I like the monkey better.

Quote Originally Posted by prvtnoclass View Post
    LG2 doesn't consider himself a member of OSW and removed his photo gallery. I don't know how those photos ended up on the thread since his photos and gallery have been removed.

Those pics show that they are from someone's OSW gallery, but the thread has no edit notification. An internet glitch or maybe hacked, but that is not LG's work in those pics.
    What happend? I remember him from when i started visiting the board?
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel." -