War Correspondent WW II

Collect. Kitbash. Customize. Community. Showcasing the Best of Sixth Scale Modeling.

Thread: War Correspondent WW II

USMCWayne is offline In the bush..........Nam baby!

War Correspondent WW II

He’ll move outside a bit later but, for now, here’s a well-traveled, veteran war correspondent.

He’s certainly been around, as evidenced by all of the stickers on his Remington typewriter carrying case.

There’s no doubt that Donald Moore, the BBI British Desert Air Wing pilot sculpt, is Clark Gable.

I was using Gable as a 4th ID 2nd LT for awhile but, with his rakish personality and devil-may-care looks, I think he fits better as a war correspondent.

…although his BBI pilot figure is closer to real life.

Although beyond draft age, Clark Gable enlisted as a Private in the Air Corps on Aug. 12, 1942 at Los Angeles. He attended Officers' Candidate School at Miami Beach and graduated as a Second Lieutenant. He then attended aerial gunnery school and in Feb. 1943, on personal orders from Gen. Arnold, went to England to make a motion picture of aerial gunners in action. He was assigned to the 351st Bomb Group at Polebrook and although neither ordered nor expected to do so, flew operational missions over Europe in B-17s to obtain the combat film footage he believed was required for producing the movie entitled "Combat America." Gable returned to the U.S. in Oct. 1943 and was relieved from active duty as a Major on Jun. 12, 1944 at his own request, since he was over age for combat.

War correspondents during WW II were a very unique lot. Depending on the country represented, they were propagandists, reporters, and occasionally pure fiction writers.

They varied from those who wrote their dispatches based on official press releases, and those who spent time in foxholes on the front lines “with the doggies”.

Axis or Allied, they were with a unit by permission, all of their work had to go through official censors, and they all (Axis and Allied) were trying to shape public opinion on the moral necessity of winning the war.

Ernie Pyle was probably one of the most famous WW II correspondents. His work, as exclaimed as it was, has very little “blood”. Fighting a war was a tough job, and there were plenty of hardships, but, by golly, we’ve got to do it for Mom, Pop, and apple pie. Pyle’s work was propaganda at its best.

In the PTO, the dispatches of Robert Sherrod at Tarawa brought the killing home. Combined with the images of dead Marines (the release of the pictures was authorized by FDR), America began to realize we were in a war where sons, brothers, and Fathers died, often horrific deaths.

The Tarawa pictures, BTW, greatly increased the sales of War Bonds, but also cut sharply into Marine Corps recruiting efforts.

My correspondent is wearing DML HBT’s, BBI boots, Battlegear web belt, Gearbox M-41 cap, Dragon camera and case from their recent Wehrmacht PK cameraman, DML dispatch case, a BBI cigarette, and Remington typewriter, jacket (with war correspondent patch) and “P” armband from the Hasbro Ernie Pyle figure.

The table and chair (actually a bit too small for 1/6th) were found on EBay (mistakenly listed as play scale). The wine bottle is from a magnetic display from Michael’s Craft Store, and the lantern is from the Sideshow Renfield figure.

I built the typewriter carrying case from the clear plastic insert in an action figure case.

I found all of the labels at a great web site…

http://miscman.com/posters_graphics/...p?ID=115&PID=1

The site contains “rare original posters and vintage graphics”, with a ton of them from WW II (US, UK, Canada, Germany, and France). Recruiting, war bonds, and propaganda.

My gosh, what a resource!

Speaking of cameras, the still and movie cameras with DML’s propaganda cameraman are very nice items, but I was disappointed in the leather still camera “case”. It’s probably too much to expect the case to be a working item. That would have also been too cool. The case is simply a block of something covered in plastic.

I’m about to conduct a little operation on one of the cases, to see if it can be modified enough to accept the camera.

Cover me, I’m goin’ in!
    Wayne
    Malta, MT

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Great bash. I love this guy. Looking forward to his next news artice from the front (maby Dragon will read it and realize the nazi's are loosing).

That's an amazing work, Wayne, even by your high standards. The typewriter, beat all to hell, is a small masterpiece. As much as his aforementioned looks, the guy's obvious maturity works for a seasoned correspondent, and Gable played reporters many times.
    Mark (chippy) mentioned the same disappointment with the DML 35mm camera set. That's an item that could definitely have really been impressive.

As for Pyle, his dispatches, collected in Brave Men, and the book Here Is Your War: Story of G.I. Joe IMO, tell the story of the regular "dogface". He spoke for their suffering and hardships, and of their losses. He did so for all the sevices, but the common footsoldier was closest to his heart. When he died on Ie Shima, Americans, and especially GIs everywhere grieved.
    You are
    What you do
    When it counts---The Masao
    - Ryan Bonaminio lived his life this way -

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

basx is offline prolific kitbasher, OSW Librarian
    Wayne:
    A beautiful figure. Just awesome!
    xavier

That's a sharp looking figure, Wayne. Well done on the odds and ends.

He's really cool. Love the typewriter

that typewriter case is "off da hook"... great weathering and details on it and all the rest.
    My name is Mountain Trooper and I approve this message !

That is one impressive figure. Your eye for detail is amazing.

Houston Again! Please let me escape soon @[email protected]
    There are so many aspects of this piece that just 'WOW' me.

Rather than go on gushing about the interesting eyecatching patches, the superb detailing, the wicked type writer, the impressive and spiffy table dio and his wiley persona that you imbued; I'll just ask if he stands [or rather sits ] next to your other awesome modern correspondent?
    Good luck with the case surgery, we'll keep the lizard's plastic mal-practice guys off your back

Wow, that's great Wayne. What an excellent little vignette.

That's a fantastic figure, Wayne! The first photo is great--love all the items and accessories on the table

I built the typewriter carrying case from the clear plastic insert in an action figure case.

Great job!

Gin
    Got Love?

Once again Wayne a Great Figure and setup. And your right It has to be Gable after seeing your pics. Now I have to find me a Moore figure hopefuly a cheap nude if not I guess I will have to get the whole figure just because you have me wantin' that Head LOL

I forgot Great background info as always

USMCWayne is offline In the bush..........Nam baby!
    Thanks all.

The camera case surgery went poorly. The "case" is just a molded piece of rubber, painted brown, and can't be sliced off. Too bad. A case would have been a nice touch.

Gable/Moore is on the shelf with my other photogs/correspondents. Including him, they are...

USMC Combat Correspondent with movie camera, WWII
    USMC Combat Correspondent with two Hasbro still cameras, Vietnam
    USMC Combat Correspondent with BBI still camera, Modern
    Fox News Video cameraman with BBI video camera, Modern
    Fox News on air talent/correspondent, Modern
    Embedded War Correspondent with Hot Toys (?) camera, Iraqi Freedom

...and I still have to figure out what to do with my DML Wehrmacht correspondent, but am leaning towards making him a Signal Magazine correspondent.
    Wayne
    Malta, MT

That's seriously cool. He looks like Charles Bronson a lot.
    ''They're pretty. Real pretty. But can they fight?''

Great job! That typewriter case is a work of art. Excellent choice of headsculpt. I wonder how many war correspondents were killed during WWII?

Thanks for the link to the poster site. A great resource!
    "Let us have Wine and Women, Mirth and Laughter
    Sermons and soda-water the day after."
    -- Lord Byron

Will he be schmoozing with the Easy 506th boys sometime soon?
    "It's better to be hated for who you are, than loved for who you're not." -Van Zant.